Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else back in the thrift stores? We have a couple that never closed. Prices are up a bit but most have the tag color sales back on at least part of the time.

I've gotten a few bargains, but honestly have been shopping less.
Today I DID get a LARGE, like banquet size, metal folding table. Pretty excited about it. Good for a work surface when refinishing things. I'd been using boards on crates and killing my spine. If I keep selling plants for my friend, then I can use this table. It folds in half and fits behind the seats in the honda.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Good find!

I have not been shopping much. I need less stuff, not more. I bought 2 used flannel shirts a few weeks ago, just as it started to warm up. I guess I'll use them next year.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Super Moderator
20,211 Posts
I haven't been in any store since maybe September. No thrifts in over a yr. But we get our first shots Friday, so in about 6 weeks we'll be fully vaccinated and more comfortable going back into stores. There are some things I'm adding to my thrift store want list in the meantime.

Congrats on the folding table. Those do come in handy. I used our plastic one a lot before I built my work table. It wrecked my back too, till I put a set of bed risers under the legs. Then it was counter height and much better for cutting fabric and other tasks.

We're going to have to be very selective when we do get back into thrifts. We're still trying to get rid of stuff here. Still, I'm looking forward to doing some recreational shopping again.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Spirit Deer was thinking yesterday i need make a list and do some measuring and put tape measure back in purse or car before summer there a few things i am hoping to find that i can use don't want bring in more stuff that i have to donate back got guest bed room almost half full got get out before summer.

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I love thrift shopping but haven't been in any stores for a year.....except went to Aldi's last week.....I don't need anything...and honestly I find that between online auctions, Amazon, & grocery pick up, I don't need to go to any stores...
there is a HUGE new thrift store not far from me but I haven't been....I might go just to see what it's about....once more people get vaccinated.....

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
yes better to wait until it is safe. my friend needed to drop off stuff at value village..she has been going to different ones unloading stuff cus she is moving after 29yrs in there house so a lot plus all the toys she still had cus of fostering and many grandkids. so got a coupon and went and looked...got a big plastic dragon for the garden or something lol and a ken doll.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Just read a news story about a local author who has written 4 mystery novels revolving around a woman who shops garage / estate sales. Looks like fun. My local library just has the paper version of 1st novel so I will probably wait a while to borrow it. "Garage Sale Stalker" by Suzi Weinert is the first one in the series.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that sounds like a fun read! I'll check it out. I went to a thrift store grand opening on vacation last week. Didn't stay long because it got crowded but my tiny mother found a lovely anne taylor jacket and bought it. She's teeeny tiny so can find clothes almost anywhere

·
Super Moderator
20,211 Posts
We went to a citywide sale 60 miles away a couple weeks ago and found next to nothing. Sales there used to be great, but we spent less than $10. Worst citywide sales ever. I did get 2 vintage Tupperware craft boxes, 50 cents each. I've been looking for a second one since I like the one I already have. One of the new ones is missing the 2 inner trays, but that's okay.

I got about a ream of tractor feed printer paper free.

Got a pet food tray free for the dog water bowl in my office, which I need for the sloppy drinker.

I found some LN tee shirts with business logos on them. I don't care because I'll just wear them at home. I couldn't make myself spend a bunch of money buying clothes retail during covid when we were just sitting at home, and since I've been purposely letting my wardrobe dwindle to get rid of excess, some of what I've been wearing was literally rags.

Saturday we went to citywide sales locally. They were much better. My mom got a LN small oval slow cooker, $5. Husby got a NIP jack for our van, $10. I splurged on a set of cut glass wine bottle stoppers, NIB, $10. I also picked up a couple fleece garments free to make ring holders. Got some more LN tees, cheap. I picked up a big Plano double sided tackle box for bead supplies, $2, very nice after a good cleaning, slightly gross before. I broke the no puzzle rule and bought 3 puzzles, a Ravensburger ($40 retail), a Terry Redlin, ($17 retail), and another brand I forget, $5 for all 3. Got 2 square tins free I plan to use to make storage for stud earrings.

The main reason for going to those sales was to find a small bookcase to use as a hutch top to put board games in. I also wanted a small cabinet to use as a base for a jewelry cabinet I plan to build. But between the 2 sales, I realized I already had the perfect cabinet to create a jewelry hutch, and I didn't find a bookcase.

We haven't gone to many sales the past few yrs, and probably won't go to many this yr either. I'm looking for a few things yet but not enough to make us pick up the saling habit again.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oooo....ravensburger! Those puzzles are the best! Had a few min to kill today waiting for a shop
Owner to return so I could buy new knee high rubber boots at his going out of business sale (my old boots are tearing holes in my pinky toes and my six...time to give up) so we went to a thrift shop nearby. I found nothing but my colleague got new with tags north face shorts.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
realized as I finally washed the vintage gray and dunn style tin that has been sitting on dining room table..I got it day before I got sick ..plus 3 pairs of fuzzy socks that are the same as ones I used to have that I got rid of recently cus worn out. they lasted years so hopefully these too. not that I need more tins lol still have my extra gray and dunn tins to get rid of plus plus lol did think of other things to get rid of though to value village.

·
Super Moderator
20,211 Posts
Congrats, Jo! Love when that happens.

My mom did similar a couple yrs ago. She found a LN Woolrich winter jacket, perfect fit, in a color she liked, $4 at a church sale. Looked it up online and it was still available at over $200. She was very happy!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
score! garage sales etc haven't really opened here and normally not clothes but still they are fun to check out. got a cute scarf and 2 pairs of shorts/swimwear for ds seniors day so mom bought 30% off. you need to cus prices there are $$$ like $15 for old navy shorts. well can buy new for that. so much stuff there people must be in cleanout mode.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts