Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hello Frugals! Long time, no post!!! At least I still recognize some names! (Hi SD, Hi CH! Hi Jo!)

Ok, so this won't SOUND frugal at first, but today I got a Kitchenaid mixer at a charity shop for $95 (was $100, but it's a $5 Friday, so there's that, at least...) My sister's daughter has wanted one FOREVER and put it on her "Auntie-keep-an-eye-out-at-yard-sales" list... She works as a cake decorator at a chain grocery but has dreams of running a little side-hustle baking business of her own some day. I was thinking of saving up and buying her one of the lower/reasonable-end models when black friday comes around, but this is definitely better!!! Even on eBay this one would have cost $50-$100 more once you figure in shipping, so I'm pretty stoked! (And she's STILL not getting it 'til Christmas!!!)

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Hi Zhoen, welcome back! That is a fantastic price on a KA, great find and a great gift for your niece.

Hope we see more of you around. :)

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Super Moderator
20,108 Posts
Welcome back, Zhoen!

What a find on the KA! Your niece is going to be so thrilled! I'd say that was a frugal buy. We love our KA, as most owners do. I'm sure she will love hers, too.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I am 2-for-2 this weekend!!!

Today after dropping DD17 off at her friend's house, I swung by a couple of Saturday-only church thrifts and found a new-no-box AEROGARDEN for $5. Seriously psyched!!! I set it up and tested it and it seems to work fine, but it did not come with the seeds and nutrient kit. So my plan for this one is to find a big enough box and tuck it away for DD17 for a Christmas present. She LOVES starting plants, but always has mixed results. Between now and then I'll have to order a seed kit, but I am unsure when to do that. I'm sure that any pods I bought now would still be viable in December, but with so much time, it seems like I should wait and watch for a good sale.

SPIRIT DEER, guru of the aerogardens, what is your wisdom? Right now I have a coupon that would make the 9-pod lettuce kit $14.95, plus shipping... if I wait am I likely to find something better?

Oh, and I also got a NIP set of 4 "Roach Clips" by Fred and company (google them, they're silly!)... these are just regular bag clips, but they look like giant roaches... those are going to one of my other nieces who (a)can always use more kitchen gadgets (b)uses medical marijuana, hence the joke...

I also grabbed two shirts and two workout shorts for me, a book of "gifts in a jar" recipe cards my baker niece might like ($.10, so why not...) a sandwich holder for lunchboxes along with 4 rubbermaid juice boxes, all for $.25 each, and one of those wire head massager things that looks like a kitchen utensil, but you're supposed to rub your scalp with it (NIP)... thought that could go in a stocking or a care package.

I VALIANTLY resisted all the pretty tins and $.50 wrapping papers that assaulted me from all angles until I get my stash all organized and figured out what I have and what I might actually need. It was rough, but I did it! :)

·
Super Moderator
20,108 Posts
Wow, great finds!

Seed kits for AeroGardens are way overpriced. Did your AG come with anything? Baskets, even? To get started, a kit's probably the best idea, but if your daughter gets interested in the AG, it's cheaper in the long run to buy the little parts and nutrients in bulk and add your own seeds. The kits probably won't get much cheaper, if at all. Did you get the manual with the AG? If not, the AG website should have one to download. You can also buy kits, parts, and supplies directly from them. Not everything likes to grow in water, but there are lots of options. It's really nice to have green growing things in the dead of winter. We love having those full spectrum grow lights running on dark short winter days.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
No baskets, it was just the main unit and light bulbs-- no seed kit, nutrients, etc. It did have the manual, but there wasn't much to it. Looking on the website, I am leaning towards buying the custom salad kit for her to start with. Either that or a custom herb kit-- she'd prefer the herbs, I think, but the lettuce grows faster and would give her a good confidence boost to get started. From there, I know the baskets and labels can be re-used, though I'd love to know what your experience has been with what works and what doesn't...

Eventually we'll get to the point where our first kit or two is done, and then we'll probably move on to experimenting with our own seeds (which are many...)

·
Super Moderator
20,108 Posts
Herbs and lettuce generally do very well. I usually grow baby romaine. I've never been able to grow chives. Cilantro is hit or miss. Rosemary is better grown in dirt. Flowers are lots of fun to grow in the AG.

You'll have to buy distilled water or use rain water if you have hard water or use a well.

You can reuse baskets and the little plastic domes. Sponges need to be replaced, usually. I've tried other stuff but nothing worked. I buy the big pkg of replacements, and the big bottle of nutrients. Tried different stuff for that, too.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Ok, you're going to think I'm insane. I bought ANOTHER kitchenaid mixer. I am a kitchenaid hoarder!!!

I went back to the same place I went Friday (where I found the first one) because I was undecided about an apron/dishtowel set last week. And, lo and behold, they had just put out another kitchenaid... a little older, same price ($100.) So I called my nephew and asked if he and the Mrs. had ever gotten the one they registered for at their wedding two years ago (no) and would they want a "vintage" one if I could get it (yes,) and could he keep it secret until Christmas (he'll try.) So yay!

And the apron set is NWT from Anthropologie and rang up at $2.50! Double yay!

I should be done now... I have 4 other nieces, but they are all heat-and-eat types, not big on cooking and gadgets.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I only buy my jeans in Thrift Store. I always get something there because a lot of people give up their size there because they have put on weight. Sizes XS and S are hardly worn by adults. :cool:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Sizes XS and S are hardly worn by adults. :cool:
My teenage daughters get all sorts of beautiful things at thrift shops because they are petite like you! It is the same way in the retail stores on the sale racks-- everything in the the middle is sold out.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Stopped in at "the goat thrift" today (so called --by us, anyway-- because it is a church/school that has a big garden and goats in addition to a thrift shop...) and found a NIP handheld sewing machine for $4. My sister-in-law mentioned when we were visiting last month that my father-in-law was wanting one. So I'll add that to a box I'll be sending them as soon as I "finish" (and by that I mean START!!!) the cushion covers I am making for them. DD17 found a t-shirt she liked for $.50, too. I like that place because they have a lot of turnover and good stuff, but mostly good prices and the money goes to their food bank.

I mentioned on the other post that on Tuesday (the only day they are open) I got a bunch of $.25 light bulbs and a $2 bundt pan (sells for $20-40+ used online) at the navy base thrift shop near my house. Also got a $1 10oz thermos and a set of 4 tupperware jello molds (also $1) that I will more likely use to send pudding cups in lunches than jello... but if I ever DO get the bizarre need to make tiny jello molds, I'm all set! The money from that place goes to the Navy-Marine Corps relief society, which helps active duty families in emergencies.
Drinkware Tableware Cup Serveware Cup Liquid Cylinder Chemical compound Event Brand Grey Synthetic rubber Personal protective equipment Tableware Athletic shoe Automotive lighting Bicycle part Material property Font Automotive exterior Outerwear Black Neck Sleeve Grey

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Today's thrift was "the brown store" (actually amvets, but it's VERY brown in the decor) I popped in to two others, since I was in that area, but nothing really great there.

The brown store was celebrating National Thrift Shop day with 3 colors of tags half-price. So I went ahead and got these adorable shoes that I will have to find an excuse to wear...
Wood Petal Jewellery Embellishment Body jewelry My niece said "those are wedding shoes." But I say they are granny boots and now I need a vintage-looking lacy tea ensemble ala Downton Abbey and a cloche hat... and some place to wear it all... and a wheel chair for the week after because I destroyed my ankle years ago and I REALLY can't/shouldn't wear heels... but THEY.ARE.SO.PRETTY!!!

I also found a water bottle similar to this, which was really exciting, because DD17 never drinks enough water and she has been wanting one... Of course she filled it up with kool-aid (with splenda, but still) It's better than nothing, I suppose...
Water Liquid Bottle Solution Product Personally, if I drank a gallon of fluids a day, I would never leave the bathroom!!!

PS- My shoes are so pretty!!!
PPS- pretty pretty shoes...

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Amazing shoe find Zhoen! SO PRETTY! Now you can get yourself a white dress and go all Stevie Nicks on us. :)

21 - 40 of 64 Posts