Frugal Village Forums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Z why don't you assemble your outfit, have some sort of portrait photo taken and then gift the shoes to someone who can wear them?
A gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs so that is an awesome hand weight. Or in a backpack.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Z why don't you assemble your outfit, have some sort of portrait photo taken and then gift the shoes to someone who can wear them?
A gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs so that is an awesome hand weight. Or in a backpack.
Boo!!! Never!!! <Gollum voice> They's are PRECIOUS to us!!!
I'll keep them to wear to the occasional wedding until I get too decrepit, then pass them on :) I have a great love of pretty shoes, but end up wearing the same comfy sandals day after day...

Swung by "the goat store" yesterday to pick up some Christmas paper I had been considering... I like reusable packaging like tins, bags, and gift boxes, but the 2 mixers are too big for that.

I picked up a big wicker basket I saw last week and a couple more tins for Christmas, too. Still waiting for 2 of the 4 households in my family to get back to me about what they do/don't want in their baskets, so I'm not sure how many tins I'll end up needing... grr.

Lastly, grabbed a handful of tangled mardi-gras bead to untangle and add to my "treasure bag" for geocaching. We haven't been recently, but it seems like every cache we visit is just stripped out and I end up adding a ton of "swag" so future little kids aren't disappointed. This past year there haven't been many yard sales in my area (starting to make a comeback, but none of the big church rummage sales yet), so my bag is fairly empty and I was happy to grab the beads to add to my stash. (This past year I have been adding little single packs of anti-bac wipes to the caches as a treasure/joke!)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
wow you get great deals! Love the shoes! the type you walk to a chair and sit and look great lol I have some.
here prices aren't that cheap. though have little reason to go to thrift stores now...need to spend more time filling boxes for them. Yes if you are petite you can score big. I got lucky a few years ago at thrift stores with someone had cleaned out some new 2x skirts, shirts etc designer (looked it up over $100 a skirt) jean classic styling and other new stuff to add to my wardrobe. brands don't get around here. did give a bunch of stuff to a friend for his kids though pokemon play sets.

·
Super Moderator
20,109 Posts
We hit a sale yesterday because I accidentally saw a flyer. It must have been a huge sale when it started Friday AM, but I wouldn't have gone in a crowd anyway. Wouldn't have gone at all but they listed sewing items on the flyer. I picked up 3 pieces of knit fabrics, 6 sheets of plastic canvas, 7 small stencils, assorted small sewing related items, a plastic bin, and 4 pieces of Christmas fabrics, all for $20. I wanted the blue knit for a summer house dress, the peach for a knit top of some kind. Those are both the nice heavy comfy brushed cotton. The stripes will probably be a sleeveless top since it's only about a yd. The Christmas prints will probably become a quilt back someday. Good quality fabric for cheap.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Not many yard sales going on here in my city. I do the online auctions which have taken a mind of their own and everyone is doing it.....lots of resellers.....Last thing I purchased, worth talking about is the buffet I got.........it's about four feet long....there are two door on bottom front........but, the front top opens up and there are, what we thought were shelving) but, they are leaves.....it pulls out and makes a table and can seat 8 to 10 people. Funny thing, the owner didn't even know that it did this....it's solid wood and I paid $40....I got rid of the round table I have next to my recliner and replaced it with this and I have it pulled out with just one leave....I can set my computer on it and I still have the top to put my books etc....works out great....I really miss going to thrift stores.....

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Zhoen: those shoes are giving me 80s flash backs! I love them built agree on the wheel chair. I would have worn them with acid wash TIGHT high waisted jeans and my double breasted white shirt with serious leg-o-mutton sleeves. Or a gunnie sax dress! So many options for looking grate while snapping an ankle

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
So yesterday I FINALLY had a chance to go thrifting again-- because I skipped my Tuesday classes. STILL not sorry!!!

I went to the little shop on the navy station near here-- their selection is very small, but their prices are usually amazing. I was happy to find something labelled "adult pirate costume" for $3 on their Halloween rack. I just wanted it for the shirt, which I am making over for DD14 so she has a second outfit for work. So she'll have the made-over shirt, the pants I'm making, and then it came with a belt that looks good and renaissance-y It also came with black fake-leather spats to make your shoes look like pirate boots (if it's dark, and everyone at the halloween party is both drunk AND nearsighted...) I am considering taking those apart and making a second cinch for her, but that is wayyyyy down the list of possible projects.

They also had a really nice wool sweater that I bought, but its fate remains undecided. If the weather starts to get truly nippy before the fair ends, I will give it a make-over for DD14 to add to her costume. If not, I'll add it to my stash to eventually use for a sweater coat.... but sweater cobbling season is not for months yet... we are just getting into yarn season!!!

Overall, nothing too amazing, but I am THRILLED to not have to worry about making her a shirt. (Setting sleeves terrifies me...)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Z check out Professorpincushion.com for instructions and videos on specific sewing related topics. I have found helpful videos there.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Excellent finds. I saw a class 3 safety coat In my size at thrift yesterday but didn't get it.15$ seemed high and my job will get me one if I ask. So I left it for our traffic control people who need it more than me...but it is haunting me.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I DID find the wrench and a book I needed at a different thrift. Somehow I have lost all my adjustable wrenches that I use daily..,will probably find the now that I bought a 'new' one. The book is for work but out of print so when I saw it for 1$ I went ahead and got it.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I loved the blousey shirts of the 80s.. had a pirate shirt style one .. should have kept it but wouldn't fit now. so if I see it again I am getting it lol my mom liked them too. but they wouldn't be the same quality but then no ironing like then.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I had a white double breasted mutton chop sleeved pirat-y shirt in the 80s! Loved it. My graduation photos were taken with that shirt and in an acetate black and white pin stripe version. Lots of ironing and I don't do white anymore ...but in a dark color yes I would wear it again!!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Z check out Professorpincushion.com for instructions and videos on specific sewing related topics. I have found helpful videos there.
It is becoming clear to me that sewing classes are in my near future... that 9 weeks back in 6th grade can only take ya so far... but not before November at the earliest...

Got a nice J Jill blouse for $2, and a sun/moon wall plaque for the deck, for free.
Score!!!!!

I am going to start a thread called "All the stuff I DIDN'T buy." Because I have been resisting so much temptation lately! Friday I saw a duplicate of a vase/bowl thingie I used to have on my hall table that broke last year... I may look back and see if it's still there next time I'm out that way, but I wanted to think about it first. It was just SO weird to find it... it was kind of a specialty piece when I bought it 20 years ago... I think it was a reminder from the universe that my hall table is stacked with stuff I need to deal with before I can even consider buying anything to go on said table...

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
I am going to start a thread called "All the stuff I DIDN'T buy."
I haven't been to yard sales in years, I don't need more clutter. I loved it when I was younger. I collected depression glass for a while, when it was cheap in 2nd hand stores, but it's expensive and hard to find now. And I am out of space for bric-a-brac.

Last couple of times I went looking for something useful in a thrift shop I could not find what I needed. Lots of pretties I don't have space for, and didn't buy, though.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I did end up buying the bowl that was the duplicate of my old one, but first I cleaned off the hall table (finally) YAY!

Got a SodaStream for $5 at a yard sale last Saturday, which is cool because the kids were asking about them the other day. We couldn't use any of the syrups that came with it (expired YEARS ago) but they had fun bubbling up drink powder until they killed off the cartridge, so now I have to go exchange that if I want to try it myself. Overall, it doesn't seem any cheaper than just buying soda, but it's a fun little experiment.

Today I went to my two little local thrifts and got some microwave bowls with lids for $1.50, nicer than what usually have, and for that price I won't cry too hard when they get ruined an hour from now. DD14 was with me and picked out some new-to-her jeans and a couple of sweaters, and I got a pretty shirt for DD17, not that she really needs more clothes... And a can opener because we are down to one and I can never find it... Grand total, $6.75.

At the second shop I bought two more can openers and a "granny trolley," one of those wheeled carts you pull behind you to walk your groceries home from the store. The total for those was $11, and I am going to give the cart to one of the homeless people who sleep in the neighborhood where I am working. Some of them worry about being a target if their stuff looks less crappy than everyone else's, but if my main guy doesn't want it, I'm sure I can find someone who does... and if not, there is a special charity nearby that runs a "store" for their clients, and I'm sure they can find someone who can use it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Last Saturday my far-away/once-a-month thrift shop was open, and having a 75% off everything sale!!! So I got LOTS of little tupperware-type containers (some as small as 1/4 cup, perfect for dried fruit or salad dressing!) and drink bottles. I got three soup-size thermos-type containers, plus two old-fashioned Aladdin drink containers -- remember the ones with the cup-lid, then you took that off and underneath there was a screwtop with a spout? I also got a bunch of insulated lunch totes (which is what I went there looking for) to pack cold foods for my homeless man in Baltimore. Ideally I'll give him one tomorrow and next week he'll still have it and we can just refill it... but if circumstances don't work out that way, I'm good with him losing them when they only cost $.50 to start with.

But my FAVORITE find is in the kitchen right now with my dinner in it... It is a second/spare crock for my crockpot, marked $.75, but 75% off means it was about $0.14 !!!! It didn't have a lid, but it is a perfect match for the ones I already have, which means I didn't have to scrub the pulled pork yuckiness out of the other one to make dinner tonight (that is DD17's job!!!) to start a pot roast for tonight-- just had to give the lid a quick clean. Seriously, the way today has shaped up, that is a WIN!!!

And my DIDN'T-buy-it for the weekend was that I DIDN'T buy a bread machine exactly like the one I own except newer and not all scraped up inside and probably a lot less noisy for $2.50. It was pretty close, though... I'm pretty proud of myself for resisting that one, even though bread-and-stew weather is nearly here, I DON'T need to be making (and gobbling) a ton of bread right now...

I also stopped at a couple of yard sales where I picked up some note cards and Christmas cards,7 mini springform pans, a new seed tray with peat moss pods (gonna give that to DD17 to play with in the spring) cool paint brush holder thingie that holds your brushes AND the water (so MAYBE DD14 will stop using my &^%***!!! mason jars as paint water holders... maybe...
Also a cute little herb grow kit I'll add to DD17's Christmas stash, she can plant that right next to her aerogarden;
and a little lunch set that looks like lego blocks... Ideally I'd like to give that to H, since he's lego-crazy... but honestly, the man would rather die than pack a lunch. I'm considering keeping it for myself... I can pack it inside my minions lunchbag to keep things cold... Or maybe I'll give it to him with his other birthday stuff (it's new) knowing that he'll never use it, then I'll use it for myself... that's karma for all the things he "buys me" that are really for him or the whole family... 🤪

41 - 60 of 64 Posts