Frugal Village Forums banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Zhoen: great finds!

I hit thrift today and found staples for my staple gun, rope caulk (which's I like for a quick seal around a rattly window) and... an two stainless steel travel French press! ( that is to me what a spare crockpot is to others). It was 5$ but I use them all day every day for coffee and tea. My main one is missing the handle and leaks and has to be pounded back to roundness sometimes. The others don't fit the cup holders in my ancient vehicles.

Registered
It's Thursday! And that means I visited my 2 favorite little thrifts... Today I bought:

7 greeting cards-- mostly birthday, but also blank or thank you notes. $0.10 each
A rolling pin, my old one disappeared, but it was pretty broken anyway... $2
2 hot water bottles-- the kids are always wanting these as the weather cools.$1each

2 stacking wire baskets (to hold papers on a desk), some crochet hooks, knitting stitch holders, stitch markers, and a cookbook-pamphlet. $1.50 total... they kind of just make up the prices when things don't have stickers...

I have a fairly long wish-list of things I am looking for for the clinic, so I am trying to decide when I will go out to the farther-away stores over this weekend... I have a school assignment due tomorrow 馃ぎ馃ぎ馃ぎ but shopping is way more fun.

Registered
Yesterday was a massive thrift binge! Literally shopped WELL PAST when I wanted to drop!

For the clinic, I found some fall decorations, some desk organizing supplies, two food scales (one digital, one old-school) and a NIP pill sorter along with 2 cookbooks (1 AHA and 1 DASH.) I am starting a "swag" drawer for goodies we can give our patients if they need them. I searched and searched for a step-counter (the little crappy ones they give away at health fairs and things,) but no luck.

For me I found some yarn and some sewing appliques. But my favorite find of the day was a UV sterilizer wand. I've ALWAYS wanted one of those, and I found a mini one NIP for $4.50. (Basically, using the concept that UV light kills bacteria, viruses, and most fungus, you use a mini tanning bed light to sanitize things without chemicals-- doesn't clean, just kills.) For those things that just can't be bleached...

I am bummed that there were a couple of things I thought I'd find that I just couldn't, but overall, a very successful day.

Registered
I was looking at items people were selling on the local neighborhood site. I saw something interesting and looked it up on ebay...It was selling for $250....The lady was selling hers for $45....So I stopped over to get it and she offered another item that sold on ebay for the same...So, I got that as well. They are collectible ceramic items from Canada...I'll try to sell around Christmas and see what happens........

Registered
My thrifting experience today was split... good finds (mostly Christmas things, but also an ancient blender to replace the ones I keep dropping) at one of my usual haunts for their usual very good prices...

But then there was this community yard sale in a Bougie-McMansion neighborhood...their prices have left me feeling salty... I guess they have never actually shopped at yard sales and don't know that used kids clothes aren't worth that much...

But I did find a couple of perfect-condition toddler push toys that I will sanitize and take with me to my clinical on Wednesday. I think that if we rebrand the event as "Ask a Nurse, Pick your PRIZE!" people will be more willing to talk to us; so I am planning to take a table and add to the usual lame swag (tiny hand sanitizer, pens) the school provides. Not too many people in the (literal) projects really want their blood pressure taken, but they might be willing to at least talk to us about why blood pressure matters if there is something they actually want on the table....

Registered
DLR... the giveaway went pretty well, and I do think we got more people to talk to us than usual. The instructor, of course, was salty that I did something without her royal blessing, but then used pictures of it at their grand opening with the mayor the very next day. SMDH...

Registered
In a rare day off today, I was able to get to my two favorite thrifts and scored some great things!

At "the old people shop," I found three white nesting wicker baskets for $15 that I will use for my treats baskets for my family, who are 4 households these days, and I have a 4th basket already, so yay!

At "the navy shop" I found... hmm... hold on, I'm thinking... it was a lot...
  • For my classmate who said that as soon as we graduate she is doing "all the Christmas things" a solar dancing snowman (originally from Dollar Tree, so not high-end, but cute and only $.10, a Christmas music CD ( $.50) and a Normal Rockwell advent calendar book ($.75)
  • For my classmate who hates cheese... A cheese board ($2) Don't worry, she'll think it's funny...
  • For my classmate who intends to get blackout drunk for days following our graduation-- a soft-sided plastic flask shaped like a Christmas stocking ($1)
-For my niece who likes to bake, a 12 days of Christmas shortbread pan and 2 ornaments-- a pie and a rolling pin-- those will go to her right after Thanksgiving along with her treats basket ($3 for the pan, $2 for the ornaments)
  • For H, who is jones-ing for that $650 Titanic lego kit-- a NIP Puzz3D "alpine castle" puzzle (Neuschwanstein but they apparently can't say that...)
  • For one of the DDs' stockings, a pomegranate scrubby loofa thing ($.50)
  • Some holiday-looking little treat bags that will be good for packaging up treats for the family baskets (I don't remember...)

and a big handful of mechanical pencils $.75

All told, it added up to less than $19, and walked out with two big bags-- one reusable Trader Joe's bag and one paper bag from Coldwater Creek... the fancy reused bags are always my favorite part of that store 馃ぃ

Alas, I completely forgot to go to "the goat store" and they will not be open tomorrow, then I'll be busy every day that they ARE open for pretty much the rest of the month... <le sigh> Somebody else will get all my deals! Thrift shop FOMO!!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I found 2 full boxes, 42 total, of holiday cards for 3.50$. Those will go in the stash for 2022 while I use up left over cards for 2021.

And...this is the big one...flannel lined jeans in 100% cotton that fit!! They were 8$ which is high but thrift prices here are up and I am preparing for amp clothing spend year in 2022. One more pair of presentable jeans, 2 bras and a couple of long sleeve knit shirts or T-shirt's to out under button down shirts and I am set

Also got another stainless steel planetary design French press in perfect shape for 6$. 45$ is the new price. I might put a bag of good coffee with it and give it as a gift. Or use it. I have a coffee gadget fetish.

Then I bought this...what is it?

Brown Hand Drinkware Tableware Mason jar

Grille Fluid Wood Audio equipment Gas

Registered
Shaker for cinnamon, sugar, or cocoa powder would be my guess.

Reactions: Zhoen

Registered
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Looks like it might be a 'Neapolitan coffee maker' with parts missing. I found a YouTube. I saw the coffee pot part at thrift a week ago and admires it but didn't get it. Darn!!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts