Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

How many new recipes will you try in 2021? Expand your cooking skills! Experience new flavors! Cook healthy at home!

Share recipes or links and let us know how it worked out.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was so good DH ate it and he doesn't like sweet potatoes.

I made half a recipe of the tahini butter for the two of us and it was still more than we needed. If it survives the evening (I'm eating leftovers with a spoon) I'm sure I can find something to put it on. I made it without the added salt, I thought the soy sauce was enough. The sesame seeds also got left off because I ran out of time. The sauce is definitely a keeper.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Made this with ground pork. You could use turkey, chicken or TVP.

I did not have the ketjap manis so I added a little garlic and ginger for additional flavor. Also, DH doesn't eat peppers so I left those out. Any quick cooking vegetable you like can be substituted here.

We had it over cauliflower rice, to make it low carb.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
CH- That dish looks good. I was thinking ground chicken or shrimp with green onions and sesame seeds. I'll have to try it!

DS2 is attempting to make challah bread with sesame on top. I bought an Israeli bread making book years ago at the Museum of Natural Science as they had a presentation of the Dead Sea Scrolls. I purchased soaps made with dead sea minerals in it as well. We hope the bread turns out!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thanks jetts.....I printed it out and putting the ingredients on my grocery list....I'm going try it!!!! It looks easy enough....

·
Super Moderator
20,055 Posts
I'm pretty happy to have tried a new recipe today. One of our local groceries sells a hot mustard made in house that we really like, but it's $6 for a small squeeze bottle. We don't buy it much. Today I was going through a stack of recipes and copying them into a big binder I have for all sorts of mixes and copycat recipes. As I searched for a blank space to write a recipe, I ran across a recipe for hot mustard. It's been in the binder at least 20 yrs, but I've never tried it. So I did. It's so simple, and it tastes very close to the one from the store. I wish I had tried it before, but better late than never. I think I've found yet another lifetime recipe for something I'll never have to buy again.

In case anyone else has a hankering for homemade hot mustard, here are the magic ingredients.

Homemade Hot Mustard

Dry mustard
Sugar
All purpose flour
Cider vinegar
Mix equal parts dry ingredients. Moisten with vinegar. Store up to several weeks in tight container in fridge.

That's it! Stupid-simple. I give myself bonus points for saving a little round fat bellied mustard jar just because it was cute. Now it will be cute with a purpose. 🙂

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried this last night, we have a winner!

Used a regular bun, slaw on the side, and HM thousand island sauce. (It's ketchup, mayo, and pickle relish mixed together).

I've made hot mustard by mixing mustard powder and water. A tsp of powder and a few drops of water are enough. You could get fancy and use a few drops of white wine.

·
Super Moderator
20,055 Posts
Thanks for the 1000 Island recipe. It should be good with the HM pumpernickel I recently found. We never buy 1k Island because we don't eat it much, so it gets tossed. Should work for fake Big Mac sauce on burgers, too.

Don't have any corned beef but a kraut/Swiss burger sounds good anyway. Might have to try that.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I make my own mustard from seeds and sell it at a farmers market. I have to avoid sodium now (old age...ugh) so here is the entire recipe:

mustard seeds
vinegar.

My favorite right now is 1/2c yellow mustard seeds with 1/2cup brown mustard seeds. About 1 1/2 cups malt vinegar. Let it soak several days or a week if you forget about it, on the counter. Room temp is fine.
Then, grind it up. I use stick blenders but they do burn out after about 20 batches.
If you soak it in a wide mouth quart jar, the stick blender fits in to grind right in the jar.
Sometimes it's a tad dry and needs more vinegar, or people like a smoother mustard. Add more vinegar.
Then put it in jars and let it sit at least 3 more days. It will taste super harsh right after you grind it up. Mellows with age, usually.

Any color or mix of colors of seeds, and any vinegar you like.
The one that sells the best (and I charge more) is yellow seeds with balsamic vinegar.
Apple cider vinegar is a good basic one to use with any seeds and extracts a hotter flavor from brown seeds than other vinegars.
In a pinch I've used distilled vinegar and it was fine!

·
Super Moderator
20,055 Posts
Thanks, Maggie. We need to cut salt where possible,, too.

I found quite a few mustard recipes, going through the loose recipes, plus a bunch more in the DIY groceries books. Love those books! I'm happy about the sweet/hot mustard recipe because it's so simple and we like the store version so much but we go in streaks eating it. We used to buy it for months and then suddenly it just lost its appeal , so it would get tossed. Then the price went way up a few yrs ago and we just don't buy it at all. Now that I can make it so easily and cheap, we can have it any time we want. Gotta stock up on mustard powder. We're going to the food co-op in GR in 5 wks or so, and I'm hoping to find some interesting seeds, too. I like different flavors of mustard so will be trying some new things. I've made basic mustard in the past that was never very good, and I lost interest, but now that I have a base recipe we like, I'm enthused again. I know, simple things for simple minds and all. 🤣

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I wanted a fab tasting baked fish recipe and made this. I made the topping as directed with mayo and also made the topping using tartar sauce (instead of mayo) as some readers suggested. Either way is a winner.

I don't use the broiler, so I baked it until the topping was golden ( 25-30 min as my fillets were thick).

DS2 rated this 9/10. I think it's restaurant quality!

Crunchy Pecorino Baked Cod Recipe | Allrecipes

·
Registered
473 Posts
that sounds great! I tried a few "keto-ish" recipes my sister is teaching me (time for me to cut back on sugar and carbs but not going totally keto). Once I master one, I will share it

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tried this tonight: Roast Pumpkin, Spinach and Feta Salad

It was okay. The pumpkin didn't "caramelize". I thought the dressing was too sweet, would leave out the honey next time. DH wasn't thrilled with it either so I probably won't make it again.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took this to a potluck dinner. Got compliments on the flavor, unfortunately it did not set or bake through in the center. Possibly too much water from the zucchini? It cooked 30 mins and sat 30 mins afterward, wrapped in a towel. I'm re-baking the leftovers.

Going to try it again with less zucchini and slightly longer cook time. If I don't have to rush out the door I can let it go as long as it needs.

Also, didn't care for the stick of butter in the pan. The butter pooled up in the corners and made them really salty. Would be better if the melted butter was mixed into the batter, and the pan was just greased a little.

Reactions: MaggieTru

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I have a cornbread-squash casserole I like to make that is probably similar. The difference is you bake it in 2 round cake pans, not one casserole dish. I like to freeze one of them afterwards. So you might try 2 smaller pans and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I found a Ovaltine Brownie recipe to try this week. It will never be used otherwise. Something hubby bought. It also has cocoa powder. Fingers crossed it is worth repeating. I was happy I tried the peanut butter oatmeal cookies, have made those several times.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts