Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This could have come out better. Ham and Sweet Onion Quiche I rarely use pie crust for quiche, but I had one to use up, so...

I modified the ingredients by adding chopped fresh swiss chard, fresh garlic, and a cup of leftover uncooked diced zucchini. Had a couple small tomatoes to use up, so I sliced them on top. It may have been too much for the egg mixture because it did not hold together and was very wet in the middle. I baked it an extra 5 minutes, and after it had sat for 10 mins as directed it was still wiggly, so I microwaved it in 2 30 sec bursts. The egg was cooked but there was still liquid in the center and the bottom crust was soggy and uncooked. And it tasted delicious, despite the slightly sweetened pie crust.

I'd try this again with a pre-baked crust and an extra egg, and maybe less raw vegetable filling. But I think I'm more likely to go back to my crustless Impossible Pie recipes which tend to set up in the center no matter how many vegetables I add.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@rujerro, sundried tomatoes are amazing in nearly anything you use them in.

This is the bagel recipe I used this week. I made some changes as noted. It's a relatively straightforward recipe. Bagel Recipe | New York- Style Bagels Recipe - Sophisticated Gourmet

I'm using sourdough starter that is a 50/50 mix of water and flour. I subbed one cup of active (bubbling) starter for 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of flour.

The cookie sheet needs to be oiled. I used parchment paper and my bagels stuck to it causing them to deform slightly when I moved them into the water.

IMO the dough could use a bit more salt. I'll try it next time with 2 tsp.

Reactions: MaggieTru

·
Registered
467 Posts
How did the oval tine cookies turn out?

I was trying keto recipes as my auditor thought that diet would be good for me. It was not. Dr.has me back on lower fat, higher protein with reasonable carbs. So, I have enough coconut oil stocked to get me thru the apocalypse. I have been trying some veggie heavy, masa flour, and rye flour recipes. LOVE THE MASA!! I mixed 1/2 c of that with a couple of table spoons powdered egg (a friend gets gov't food and hates those so gave it to me to try), added enough water to make a batter and fried it up. Surprisingly good and took 10 min. I tried it with just water too, no egg...meh.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Ovaltine brownies were good, more like cake. I will make them again. Have not found any more good Ovaltine recipes yet. I was looking for some sort of pudding I could add it to. Note the 1st ingredient on the label is "sugar".....

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ovaltine brownies were good, more like cake. I will make them again. Have not found any more good Ovaltine recipes yet. I was looking for some sort of pudding I could add it to. Note the 1st ingredient on the label is "sugar".....
Here's a pudding recipe that uses the Ovaltine in place of sugar: Ovaltine Pudding with Honeyed Rice Krispies The sugar and honey shown in the ingredients goes into the crispy rice topping, which can be left off if you don't want the added sugar.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I tried some rye skillet biscuits or pancakes tonight. It worked! 1/2 cup rye flour, 2 T powdered egg, but of baking soda, bit of vinegar and enough water to make thick batter. Cooked in an oiled skillet on low until I thought they were burning, flipped over for a while. Were much fluffier than expected with a nice nutty flavor. Would be great with soup per chili

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Tried this tonight, it came out well. Hiyashi Chuka (Cold Ramen) | Chopstick Chronicles

I used the sesame dressing. Half a recipe was more than enough dressing for the noodles and chicken. I added shredded leftover chicken, diced cucumber, julienned snow peas, diced bell pepper, shredded carrot, and leftover egg white for the tamago. Served with crispy onion and furikake as optional toppings.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Actually I think I will make regular tuna salad and just smash the crackers into it. Same concept. The one above is sort of like egg salad with crackers smashed in, sounds good also.
I think I will make this blueberry barley pudding also. Or something pretty similar. Have frozen blueberries, plain yogurt and want to use up barley. Blueberry Barley Pudding

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'd just put the crackers in a warm (~300F) oven for ten minutes or so to get the moisture out of them. Works with nuts too, as long as they haven't gone rancid, or have a sugar coating.

·
Registered
467 Posts
How did the cracker salad turn out?

I am looking for a recipe to make a sort of "ade" out of sheep sorrel. I suppose just boil it up like tea and sweeten and chill? It is such a nice sour flavor it is bound to work

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I did not make cracker salad yet, probably will be lunch one day. I made another attempt at barley pudding. This time used instant pudding mix w/ milk, cooked barley, frozen blueberries and cinnamon. It is easy, filling and good without being overly sweet. A big container full. Really could use any fruit including canned peaches or fruit cocktail.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Monday night I tried a skillet dinner from 5dollardinners.com using chorizo. There are plenty of good inexpensive recipes on that site. Not sure the prices still hold up but the concepts are there. Lots of rice, noodles, pasta, potatoes for the base layer.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I'm going to try this tonight, using regular flour. I've made fritters before, but this time I'll add in some carrot from the garden.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts