Frugal Village Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
The turkey meatloaf recipe is a keeper. I liked the flavor a lot. Using a large apple and large onion increased the volume compared to my usual meatloaf. I didn't have celery since hubby dislikes it. Had to add bread crumbs since the mixture was still pretty wet/loose and had to cook longer than instructed to reach 165 degrees. I keep seeing turkey on sale so have several packs in the freezer now.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I make this stuffing bread in the machine frequently. Cube it up and let dry in the oven, then store in a jar. Easy "helper" supper is to mix up stuffing, place in bottom of 9X13 dish, lay chicken or pork chops on top, add some sort of sauce, cover with foil and bake until done. I frequently use cranberry sauce, but could also use gravy or cheese sauce.

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Tried this for dinner, reasonably pleased with it.

I used some cheap pork chops, you know, the ugly ones. Cut the fat and bone off, marinated in soy sauce for a little more flavor. Was disappointed that the honey completely coated the meat and didn't make a sauce. I mean, that is the whole point of eating this over rice or vegetables, lol! Next time I'd make a slurry of chicken or vegetable stock and corn starch and add that with the honey and let it cook a little to thicken.

Cold easily sub chicken or tofu as you prefer.

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Not a new concept, but a good recipe: Creamy White Bean and Bacon Soup

I also added celery, a little beef paste, and a tsp of cider vinegar. I think it's one of those recipes that improves after a night on the back of the stove.

Reactions: MaggieTru
41 - 47 of 47 Posts