Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to start a new accountability thread for the new year.

Had a PT session yesterday and it felt odd. The session itself was normal but it felt strange in that it had been a week since my last session (due to the holidays).

My diet was terrible due to picking up too many sweets for the holidays. I need to get back to better eating.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
It's been nearly 2 weeks since my last PT session. The holidays always throw things off. I have 2 sessions left. I've learned new ways to deal with my pain, which has reduced my stress, and the cycle of pain-> stress -> more pain.

I've eaten badly most of the year due to reliance on more packaged and processed foods, getting older and getting less activity hasn't helped. I didn't do to badly over the holidays, though there were a few more cookies than usual. Trying to shift our diet toward more vegetarian meals, right now maybe once a week. It's harder in the middle of winter, especially as DH won't eat many bean/legume based foods.

I'm getting my blood sugar tested later this year and my long term goal is to not be 30lbs overweight and in the danger zone for diabetes.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CH - I hear you about losing weight and getting out of the diabetes danger zone.

The good thing is that I've been eating more veggies for dinner. I've been trying to make lunch my larger meal and then a smaller meal for dinner (mainly a bowl of veggies). But yeah, leaning toward more vegetarian meals is a good thing, although I do love my cheese.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Getting back to eating a bit better. Love the soup at one of my local grocery stores. Really good taste and half the sodium than the usual prepared soups. Trying to eat more veggies, though.

My knee's doing better. I've mostly stopped using my cane. Although I think I overdid it yesterday without it.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still taking PT. Now it's more focusing on specific muscles/ligaments. I'm still doing the 'homework' exercises as well. One good thing is I'm feeling more energetic now and keep moving around more.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the exercise ball today but it needs to be inflated. I just have to remember to bring it with me to my next PT session. (My therapist suggested it.) I'll also ask about what kinds of exercises I can use with it. Hopefully this will help with some back pain I've been having and had in the past.

My diet hasn't been that great though. Been getting too many sweets.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still doing the homework exercises. My knee is actually feeling the best it's been since the fall (mid-September). I don't know what happened over the weekend but my knee seems to be working like normal with little to no stress. Maybe a little stiffness, mostly because I'm paying attention to it. My PCP wanted to check in regarding my knee (I already have a regular appointment this coming week), so hopefully I can stop my PT soon. Then again, it was nice to have something resembling a regular schedule.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grr. Sometimes I hate winter! I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for Thursday and now the forecast is saying we're going to get about 5-8 inches of snow and possibly mixed precipitation. Of course, this is also the appointment where my PCP wants to do a check up on my knee in to decide on continuing the PT. (The PT center requires regular prescriptions for PT.)

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Glad to hear the knee is getting better. This is a lousy week to have to go out. I forgot to make an appt last week when I was done with my PT, and am going to schedule for next week. I haven't had any significant pain since I started treatment, and almost feel like nothing is wrong with it any more. This week I have to do push-ups though. :(

Can't wait for spring and outdoor weather.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hope you can get the time you want for your appointment and the push-ups go well. I just hope I don't have to reschedule the PCP appointment.

Had the PT center fill up an exercise ball for me. I ordered one online at my therapist's suggestion. I'm supposed to add it to my homework exercises.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I need to start focusing on endurance exercises again. I've been doing strengthening exercises with the PT. Now that it's staying light longer in the evenings, I can start up my walks again after work. Provided the roads aren't icy or the cold isn't too bad.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Too many appts canceled due to snow and cold and re-scheduled for next week so my next visit is the first week of March. Gym closed today, too. Not much I can do but hold out for warmer weather.

Reactions: renmerc446

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CH - I hope things work out with your PT and appointments, even if it's just getting into the gym.

I've been fortunate enough to get at least one PT appointment each week the past few weeks (usually do two a week). At least my leg has been improving since I started and things have been really good this past week. Thankfully, I have those homework exercises I can still do. It looks like Thursday is going to be the worst of it (anywhere from 4-12 inches of snow and some possible ice), at least according to the 2 week forecast. Of course, Thursday is the day of my Dr.'s appointment. But I'm looking forward to the warmer weather so I can get outside and take my walks again.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got some walking in today and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. My knee was a bit sore but that's more the norm these days. But I wasn't huffing and puffing like I had been on Monday.

Benn using my exercise ball that I ordered last week. I'm actually enjoying it. I think I've been getting a little bit more active because of the homework exercises. Or it may be because it's getting lighter outside.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took a walk at lunch (needed to pick up something from the mailbox to make sure it didn't freeze). Did pretty well, considering they haven't cleaned up the sidewalks yet and barely did the roads. (One of the good things about the complex - they do a pretty good job of doing that.) It wasn't bad, although my knee twinged a little. A little huffing and puffing at the end, mostly because it was a bit tough going through the snow (several inches by now).

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Saw the doctor today and got another prescription and referral for more PT. My doctor was impressed both with how much improvement I made (which is a good amount - around 85-90%) and the fact my therapist assigned "homework" exercise for the days in between my appointments. Good thing about the homework exercises is that I can continue to do them even after I'm done with my therapy. I think including some walks once the weather gets better (stop snowing practically every few days). I'm not quite up to doing T'ai Chi yet - my knee doesn't quite like a lot of twisting movements yet.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went back to PT this evening. I missed two sessions due to my PCP insisting on seeing me before giving me another referral and prescription. My knee was a bit sore but I'm glad to be back to PT. Now that the weather's getting warmer, I'll probably get out more for my walks.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm annoyed with myself. I forgot to make my PT appointments for March until this morning. I didn't quite get my usual schedule but at least they're close enough.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Knee's definitely getting better and my back's stopped twinging as much. Yay!

Also learned a new 'bridge' form today at PT. It was harder than it looks so we're doing it in stages. Good thing is, the first part seems to be focused on the core muscles, which I definitely need.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts