Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
I'm still gradually picking random stuff to donate, but don't know where or when we'll get a chance to deliver it. I need to weed out some kitchen stuff, and camping stuff.

I had a donation fail lately. I have a square cast iron frying pan that someone painted as kitchen decor. I bought it for the uniqueness with the idea of turning it into a kitchen clock, but could never bring myself to drill a hole in a perfectly good pan for the clockworks. I don't have anywhere to hang it just for display, so put it in the donation box. But then I decided it's a pretty nice pan and, since the painting means nothing to me, I can strip it and actually use it for cooking. I have to wait for summer so it can be reseasoned right away, but at least it's a plan.

Today I emptied a tote to use for donation stuff. When it's full, it will be boxed and donated. Not having an ugly box by the kitchen table is a big improvement. Now we can get rid of the empty boxes, too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Working on getting my whole life to fit in a truck camper. Less than 17 months to retirement... Where did all this stuff come from??? On the plus side, I'm finding patterns and craft instructions and drawing materials I didn't even know I had.

Spirit, I don't know that your frying pan is a donation fail since you're repurposing it. I think of a fail as "I went to drop off a bag at Goodwill and came home with three new finds."

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
Mme, you may have a point there. But if you find something you actually need when you drop off donations, is it a fail?

Do you have your camper yet? It's easier to plan what to purge or keep if you know the exact space you have. If you need ideas for maximizing camper space, let me know. I have some (many) ideas.

Are you sold on a truck camper? There may be cheaper alternatives, especially if you need a ¾ ton truck.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Does it count to get rid of one china cabinet and get another one....bigger....guess not.....but now I have space for some of the things I love and can fit them in the cabinet where before they were just here and there.....I did get rid of some odd plates I had.

Working on my closet....have a ton of drapes, blankets, comforters, etc. Got some space bags and am going to weed out what I don't want and space bag the others....hopefully it will open up space. I have Christmas pillows that I hate to get rid of so will space bag them. they take up a lot of space. I use them so don't want to get rid of them. Will get rid of the drapes....
Boxing up the books I've read and will take to my friend in the country. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Peg do the pillow covers have zippers? I have standardized the size and covers for the throw pillows to 14". In some cases I re-sized covers and added zippers or overlapped back with snaps or buttons. So now just a set number of pillow forms and the covers can be stored without taking much space and changed seasonally. I'm pretty happy with this arrangement.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Dlrcpa no they don't have zippers.....but I know what you are talking about...I have some black plaid spring covers I just slip over some other pillows that I have.....
Got rid of extra chair I had for grandson....also a box of stuff I had for him....he says he has enough of everything (except food which he will take anytime) for his apartment.....
The bags worked great.....I was able to squeeze a queen size huge comforter into a bag the size of a pillow case....closet looks good now....you can open the door and not have things fall on you.
Going take some stuff to women's shelter maybe Thursday. Have some tops I won't be wearing anytime soon....now I wish I could say cause I lost weight but that's not the case....it's because I gained. Boo......

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dd threw out a shopping bag of fleece scraps. 2 big boxes of stuff when to value village and I have a 20% coupon. ds put some clothes etc in there, dd too plus all the stuff that was there before. don't remember all but you know all that stuff random toys etc .. cleaned out mil old jewelry box ..giving to friend ..baggie of stuff into thrift store box

1 - 20 of 160 Posts