Frugal Village Forums banner
81 - 100 of 160 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
Ren, it's good you're slowing things down a little. Burnout is a real thing. I agree with CH about setting reasonable goals. And you're right about "talking" plans through here, even if people don't respond at all. It often helps me order my mind or jumpstart ideas.

I agree with you about breaking out the smaller details of a whole project, CH. A bunch of little steps often seem to make the whole thing go faster. Success builds on success and builds momentum. Then all of a sudden you look around and you're done. I love that feeling.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Actually spelling out what my plans are for each day (or evening) has proven to be helpful. I know I have a goal for the day/evening so I can focus on it, rather than being all scattered brains about it and pulling my hair out.
ITA with this! Often I don't accomplish everything on my list, but at least I can feel good if SOMETHING gets crossed off...

I try to do it on a word doc, in my case, and if something doesn't get done today, it just gets either moved to another day or I admit that it is not a priority... I used to keep it in in a little notebook and cross off and rewrite, but this is earth-friendlier :)

That said, I have sooooo much decluttering to do!!! But today I actually remembered to pick up some more cardboard boxes from the grocery that gives them away, so that is step one.

Just before Covid, I discovered something called a "Quaker Sale," which was then cancelled for the next 2 years straight 🤣, but there is one back on the books for next Saturday, and I am hoping to donate a bunch of stuff to that. Basically it is a giant flea market benefitting their youth mission, but the cool part is that it is "pay what you want." The idea is that the people can afford very little are the ones who probably need the items the most, and if people can pay what they are comfortable with, then they are left with fewer items leftover because of bad pricing.

So now the challenge is to donate as much as possible while not bringing home anything I don't truly need!!!! (I can honestly say that after ignoring them for 2+ years, I recently FINALLY painted and hung up the craft organizers I got at the last sale... :)

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Zhoen: That Quaker Sale sounds interesting. I'd probably end up donating money, both to support the youth mission and whoever really needs the items.

I like listing my goals here because I know I will look at them here. Plus, having other people see it gives me that extra push to get it done. I'm pretty sure if I just made a list some place else (either on a notepad or even a word doc), it would get lost along the way.

SD: I'm definitely feeling the burnout right now. I'm really sore due to having to go up and down the stairs all the time. But at least the end is in sight now.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Organized the second corner that needed work this evening. It went a lot quicker than I expected. I do have bits and pieces that need to go out but those I can do when I'm dealing with my laundry tomorrow. I will also focus on the bathroom tomorrow as well.

So this weekend, I can focus on getting some stuff out of my closet. Even just getting some of the blankets out the door will make it look less cluttered. After that, I have a few other things that can go out the door but those will take only a few trips that I can do on Monday and/or Tuesday.

The one issue is that my vacuum decided to die on me. So I need to pick up a new one over the weekend.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Yeah, I was going to suggest if you have not used your vacuum recently you should probably check it. Discovered during 2020 that the vacuum belt was so stretched out the brushes didn't even turn. Had to wait a while (with dirty carpets) for new parts delivery. Got a new HEPA filter also.
Also if you need help with the basic cleaning you could consider a one-time service since you have gotten most of the clutter out of the way.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Well it happens Ren esp when you are busy with life ..stuff builds up. I am just in the habit cus kids. I say goals here to keep me accountable and in my mind lol I went though china cabinet ..pulled out more china to give away and will get rid of glass knick knacks that were given to me too when relative was purging. Not physical but have been decluttering my email..I don't mind sales emails..but every day too much.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I have used the vacuum recently so it only died recently. I'm thinking of picking up one of the manual ones as well. They make the manual ones for both vinyl and rug use. And they're relatively cheap so will possibly make a good backup, as well as a quick spot vacuuming so I don't have to pull out the motorized one.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
I generally don't sign up for e mail ads, but my stash is pretty much built so don't need the alerts anymore, and especially don't need more projects.

Hope you can get the vacuum situation resolved soon, Ren. Those little manual sweepers are handy.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
SD: I have a manual sweeper on order to be delivered. I am going to stop by the local Target to see if they have a motorized vacuum I like and is relatively inexpensive. If they (or Lowes) have a manual sweeper, so much the better.

I found that whenever I ordered something online, I got added to an emailing list. I'm going through those ads whenever show up in my email and unsubscribing from those online lists.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Lately I've been unsubscribing from even the ones I know I'll order from again at some point. Right now I just want things to go out of my apartment, not bring more in. Sigh.

Light night tonight. Just cleaned the bathroom. Didn't do anything else since I was also doing laundry. Tomorrow and Sunday, I'm focusing on clearing out my closet, which is something I've been meaning to do for quite some time. Breaking down the sections has been proving to be very helpful.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
ACK!!!! The closet will likely need both today and tomorrow to get decluttered. I don't think I'm going to get it totally clean but enough to look decent. I'm glad I decided to do it today, rather than wait until the last minute or not at all.

It probably won't be as bad as I fear but wow.... what a job to be done....:cautious:

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
First rule of almost every chore: Everything takes longer than anticipated.

On the plus side, it's a chore you've wanted done for a long time, and you already have items you're prepared to part with. That will make it easier and faster.

Can't wait to hear about your progress. It sounds like the closet is the last big chunk of aggravation you have to deal with, so once that's done, you can relax a little and enjoy the rewards of your hard work.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Blah. The closet has a lot more junk in it than I realized. Some of it I can't part with - mostly yarn. I don't think it will ever look neat but at least I got rid of a good amount. Don't know how much more of it I'll get to today. I actually have a lot more sweaters than I realized. I took out two garbage bags full of sweaters already and still have at least one or two more to go. I think I'm going to focus more on the bits and bobs that just need to get out the door today. I'll get back to the closet again tomorrow to see how more I can get out of it.

Sooooo much yarn.....

I did pick up another vacuum today. The old one is one of the bits that needs to get out to the trash. The new one is a smaller, relatively lighter, stick vacuum. It has a small dust container so it will make a bit more work while vacuuming. But at least I don't have to worry about buying new bags or have the dust get stuck in the tubes. And it comes apart so it's more compact to store. It supposedly has a self-cleaning roller but I'll wait and see how good that claim is.

I still have the manual one coming as well, which will be used for quick vacuuming jobs. I'll see how that one works on the kitchen and bathroom floors as well.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
good for you ren! sometimes it is all optics to people ..if nice boxes and tubs doesn't look as messy as bags. I looked in another cabinet ..have more yarn there then I thought too lol added 5 more skeins to donation pile. dd said she didn't have yarn and yes to getting rid of looms so done. dh took box of china, knickknacks etc plus a bag of stuff..the books that didn't make the free library plus more I found, I added more mugs, china, crystal little dish set, some cloth napkins, little glass candleholders, tablecloths. craft kit from dd. set of fake candles. funny how most were gifts. and on that note ..store my mom goes to a lot so will have to phone and say don't buy any of it! I do like a few things like the napkins but have so many and not using them. same w mugs delicate china.

funny looked and though well some of that will be coming back in fashion.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Ren, I hope the walk-through went well (I'm assuming it was something like that.)
Hubby is tacking replacing another kitchen fluorescent light with a LED one today. I am fine with him doing them one at a time, he gets frustrated easily.
Used 3 skeins of yarn from my stash for a charity afghan. I keep the completed charity items in a separate tote. May get to the point of rearranging stuff in boxes/tubs soon, that would be nice.

81 - 100 of 160 Posts