Frugal Village Forums banner

2022 Decluttering Purge Thread

19K views 180 replies 15 participants last post by  marthamfi 
#1 ·
Share all your purging or decluttering goals of the year.. .paperwork, kids clothes, closets, sheds, garages...

#103 ·
Zhoen: great work in getting the boxes out for the charity sale. I donated some hats and scarves to the FM charity yesterday. I was thinking of donating an afgan I made for my Dad since he died back in December but I ended up sending it to one of my sisters. TBH, I should have gotten that out to her a couple months ago.

I just hope the cleaner I'm having delivered will help with the tub. It's frustrating to keep scrubbing at stuff and not really see any improvement. If nothing else, I hope it bleaches stuff enough to be less noticeable. I'm still finding things to get rid of and out of the house.

#104 ·
lol Zhoen that happens! told my mom about my donation and said don't buy it back. She buys books to read there and donates them back. Frustrating w family .they are quite happy to have you do it. well if the inlaws say anything you can say well great glad you want to help!

Ren hope the cleaner works though really if the tub is stained is more their problem. since we got the new tub which was acrylic not the old enamel one..doesn't get as clean as the enamel one. and doesn't clean as easy.
almost have 2 full bags of yarn and looms to donate. more things in the thrift store box.

#109 ·
The cleaning stuff I ordered all came in separate boxes for each individual product. Sigh. Fortunately, I was able to nest all but one of them so I got most of the boxes out to the recycling this morning as I headed out for work. I can get the last one out either this evening or tomorrow morning.

Sigh. I do need to clean out the fridge and wipe it down. Plus do more in the closet. On one hand, it's kinda annoying since it makes me restless and I can't settle in for the evening. On the other, I want to make it a habit of keeping the apartment clean (and not just because of the leasing office breathing down my neck). I was getting annoyed with the way it was before. This was just the tipping point I needed to purge the place.

I just need to find a way to watch my shows without resorting to buying more DVDs, both because they're likely on their way out and because I really don't want a large pile of them scattered around the house. Thankfully, I've been buying the digital albums from my favorite artists more often recently.

#110 ·
Would streaming services work for you? We just bought a Fire TV for the bedroom (I caved) and it offers a large variety of the new networks. Some are pay or PPV, but there are free channels and shows, too. We just got it a couple days ago so I'm still learning about what all is available free. The TV wasn't very expensive, around $100 on sale at Best Buy. I think it's 32". You would need internet, of course.

#112 ·
The nice thing with streaming is a lot of them offer short contracts, you can get a different one every month. Watch all the shows you want, then switch to a different service, that's what most of our friends do.

Reactions: Spirit Deer
#113 ·
Great idea, CH. I will mention that to Husby.

Ren, can't you get PBS over the airwaves?

I'm talking to Husby because I'm not sure what we get with Fire. I think I get it now though. Fire is an Amazon Prime product that comes with your Prime membership if you have it. There's a ton of stuff you can get on Prime. Prime is currently $125/yr but he said it's going up to $140. Gotta pay for those space trips, y'know. That's still not very much per month. Anyway, Husby doesn't think you have to have Prime to view all the other streaming services the TV offers. I find this all confusing because there are pay services like Netflix on that TV, and we also have both Prime and Dish Anywhere that we pay for with Prime membership and regular Dish, respectively, plus the free services also require payment for some shows. A person at Best Buy could probably give you better info, or look up Fire TVs for more info.

#114 ·
SD: Thanks for the tip about talking to someone at Best Buy. Great idea!!

I don't have TV. Well, while I do have a TV, it's basically broken and I never bothered to move it out of the apartment due to the weight. (It's ~20+ years old, large screen TV someone gave to me when they got a new TV at the time.) Even if it did work, I'd need to get cable to be able to watch anything anyway. So, streaming would be the better option either way, as I usually watch shows (via DVD) on my desktop computer to begin with. That was one of the reasons why I got a desktop computers in the first place, in addition to a place to keep my music (downloads, etc.). Writing is another reason. The computer is multi-purpose where the TV isn't (and should really go at this point).

#115 ·
The Fire TV is a device that allows you access to various services like Amazon and Netflix, but you may have to pay fees for some channels. (It's like a cable box) If you have a Prime membership you should be able to watch all their content free via the device. You pay for whatever streaming services you want, in that regard it is more like pay-per-view (you choose the channels you want) than a bundled cable tv package (you take what they give you). Apple TV and Roku do the same thing.

We have Curiosity Stream, it's $20 a year. All kinds of science and history documentaries from around the world. And you can watch that on your computer.

Reactions: renmerc446
#118 ·
Still getting a few bits and pieces out the door. Got rid of an old plant that died off some time ago. I'm sad about that one since I had it for a long time and kept it going for years. Then again, I hadn't watered it in some time.

Slowly working through some books that I didn't get to in the major portion of the purge. These were on shelves so there wasn't much urgency to getting them out the door. I'll probably just leave them in the recycling area, although I could drop them off at the free library near the community garden sometime on a weekend.

Next big decluttering project is my car. I may do it over Memorial Day weekend since I have few days off. Thankfully I can just park by the trash/recycling area and save myself a lot of steps. Definitely feeling a lot better, getting rid of stuff.

#120 ·
Ordered a boot rack for the garage (mostly covered by a gift card). Can get rid of the big cardboard box that holds the outdoor shoes now. Hubby may get rid of a few pairs once he sees them all sitting out. Coat closet really needs organizing. I don't want to get rid of anything but there are spare and backup items (hats gloves scarves) that should be stored more neatly and maybe elsewhere since not in regular use.

#125 ·
Got some more bits and bobs into the trash where they needed to go. Although I should have started a trash bag that I could put by the door as a reminder to take to the trash bin outside, rather than just the trash can inside. This was pretty much just 'out of sight, out of mind' clutter hidden behind other things that got moved.

There were some old cassette tapes that I haven't played in years and no longer have a player for, anyway. I found some of the music online that someone else uploaded at some point. Of course, the quality of the online files is sketchy but at least I have access to the music. The original company that produced the music went out of business years ago so there's no way to get the music on CDs or digitally other than fan uploads.

#126 ·
Well good to get stuff done but still you did it so why do they need to come back unless they think you bought it all back. but then I guess not all tenants are clean enough so doing the whole sweep of everyone. but as long as they are reasonable.
funny thing ..the cassette player in my car started working for first time since the year I had it ..since the tuneup lol so dug up some cassettes. books on tape..we do still have reg cassettes too plus old radio shows too.

just been puttering and putting things in the thrift store box. bits and pieces. 2 valentine platters yesterday.

#127 ·
Time to fill a big sack with garbage. Trash/recycling didn't get done last week because we were focused on the cat's surgery, so it's piling up. I've been saving newspaper to use as mulch in the garden, hopefully we can get straw soon, and that'll be one less thing in the living room.

Reactions: marthamfi
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.