Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 372 Posts

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Happy New Year everyone. 17F this morning and we have a trace of snow. News says it is icy, not going to test it. We're supposed to get several more inches today. Planning to stay in until it melts, lol!

Too bad about the french toast Dlr, that sounded delicious. I set up the crock pot to make oatmeal overnight. We had some fireworks and gunfire, but it didn't last long and most was a few streets away so it didn't bother the cats too much.

We have leftover bbq for lunch, I got buns to make sandwiches. Going to make broccoli cheese soup for dinner. Leftover NYE snacks for in-between, too. I plan to give the fridge and freezer a look and make up a meal plan for the rest of the week.

My condolences on your father's passing, Ren. I wish your family peace.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Ruj, barley, like pasta continues to absorb any liquid around it after cooking. When I make barley soup it turns into a solid mass after dinner. Always have to add extra beef broth to the leftovers, otherwise you could eat it with a fork.

Hope DS2 is ok, maybe he's just tired from the early day.

Going to get cold tonight, negatives by morning. Hope you don't freeze GB, but winter is here!

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Cold AF here. Back door is frozen shut so DH is going out front and walking around the back to feed the outdoor cats (who have two snug shelters and a heating pad to keep them warm). Cars are iced over, but hopefully it melts in the sun. We didn't get the snow dump that was predicted, which is nice.

No need to go out today so we are hanging out at home enjoying the last day of DH's holiday days off. We were given a pound of coffee as a gift, I ground some beans yesterday so we may try that. Leftovers for lunch, and I will fry up brats with potato and carrot for dinner.

I know a couple more people who got COVID for Christmas, so far not serious but you never know if you're going to be that small percent that ends up on a ventilator. So I'm avoiding people as much as possible this month. Have a doctor visit which should be safe, but I'll skip my shopping trip downtown afterward. Not much in the way of holiday clearance this year anyway, from what I've seen at other stores.

Hope everyone is warm and enjoying the long weekend.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Pot roast sounds really good and comforting, M.

We're up to 17F and ice is clearing off my car windows. Supposed to get above freezing tomorrow. Yippie!

Did a kitchen freezer inventory, and we're more than good for a few weeks so I can ignore those pretty grocery ads with perfect avocados and strawberries this month. Wish I had a few more onions to hand but we'll manage. There is tea, milk, TP and cat food, all the essentials.

Ruj, hope the dreaded word doesn't happen and leave you with no income.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Cold and sunny, at least double digit temps today. Supposed to get above freezing. Cat has a routine visit this afternoon, main roads should be clear. Other than that, not much going on.

Dlr, muffins sounds good.

Dinner will be lemon chicken, green beans and stuffed mushrooms.

Hope everyone survives the weather.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Cloudy, grey and blowy today. Staying in. Got household chores to do, some holiday stuff to put away, etc. Got out some beef to make meatloaf for dinner, and a box of gratin potato mix.

Everyone stay warm and dry.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Cold but sunny today. Chance of snow tonight. Not looking forward to having to go out tomorrow for a doctors appt. Not much going on. Staying home, not spending. Wild rice soup with whatever vegs we have for dinner. Have crackers and cheese left from NYE to finish up.

Hope everyone is staying warm.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Great deals GB! I hope I can find apples for that price. DH has been enjoying the tangerines, but I need to mix it up next time.

Snow seems to be avoiding us so far, which would be nice come morning. Have a DR appt downtown, don't like to drive into the city, and bad weather makes it worse.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Dr visit was quick, spent more time driving back and forth. Everything same as it was last time. Got a COVID antibody test and will know in a few days how well the vaccine is holding up. She said it is everywhere these days and masks aren't helping any more. We had light snow this morning but it evaporated before I had to go out. Very cold though, not many people out. Made one stop to look at after-christmas stuff, nothing left I wanted, and prices not that great anyway.

Got groceries, mostly vegs, milk, basics. Trying hard to stick to the list. We have so much in the pantry already.

Getting gyros for dinner. Need to get going before traffic gets too busy.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Ruj, there was a big storm in the midwest on NY day which went east and hit most of the coastal states a couple days later, but not much going on today. Our weather is supposed to be clear for the next week.

Various school districts and county boards are reinstating mask mandates, but the horses are long gone from the barn. Cases are higher than ever, test kits sold out due to a last minute rush at New Years, and nobody wants to stay home due to fear fatigue.

Today is sunny, and 15F, so it's slightly warmer than yesterday. I don't have to go out. Stocked up on basic foods yesterday, mostly vegetables. Going to be some old fashioned cooking going on here. Tonight it's leftover corned beef on sandwich buns, with leftover fries from yesterday. We have lots of snacks and candy left from the holidays.

Take care everyone, happy Friday.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
No sun here but temp slowly creeping up. Above freezing now. Quiet day at home planned. Going to chat with friends via computer (they all had COVID last week). If it warms up enough we may go for a walk. Cold air has been bothering my throat and I may not want to risk it.

Jetts, glad you were able to get things cleared up. Bet it feels nice to have the space back.

DH packed up the tree yesterday, and I took all the holiday cards down. Lights need to be disconnected, eventually. It's pretty dreary today, will be nice to have them up a little while longer.

Tuna, rice, and veggie bowls for dinner. Tomorrow night is our monthly potluck dinner and I'm thinking of making the pumpkin gingerbread muffins I wanted to do for christmas.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Cold and sunny. DH and I are going to try and get the place picked up a bit more before the new week begins. Group dinner tonight is canceled, luckily there is meatloaf and potatoes left over. I may make a gingerbread loaf today, too. Also want to get in some hobby time while the day is bright.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Another cold but sunny winter day. No plans this week. Looking at current grocery ad, but nothing I need to rush out for. Canned goods and store brands on sale but I am already stocked up. Supposed to be a little warmer this week, above freezing at least.

Ruj, sorry to hear about MIL. Hope the paperwork gets taken care of.

BW, good for you getting the clutter cleaned out! It's an endless battle.

GB, hope the dizziness doesn't last. Take care.

Chicken marsala over noodles, with a side of zucchini for dinner tonight. Made a loaf of gingerbread yesterday, it came out really well, so we have that to nibble on.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Cold and breezy but supposed to hit 50 today. Have errands to run. Was hoping to avoid being out this week, but stuff needs done. Cats fighting on the deck this morning and they don't need to because there's plenty of food to go around. One of the orange males has been here the last few weeks, the gentle one that just wants to be left alone. One of the females got in the house when I took food out and we had to chase her around to get her out again.

Bean and bacon soup planned for dinner. Something easy and fast.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Cloudy and cold this morning but sun is starting to clear the clouds and it is supposed to warm up. There is a prediction for snow this weekend, but not sure we'll get much here. Depends on which way the wind blows.

Same old same old here. DH started the dishwasher already. I've got laundry to put away. Find some chicken and thaw it. Sort papers and magazines for filing or trash.

Had an unplanned trip out yesterday, so I filled up the car, stopped for a few sale items at the grocery, and picked up specialty cat food for the one that has allergies. It's getting harder to find things she can eat.

We're having fried chicken sandwiches and caesar salad for dinner. Someone gave me cans of anchovies and it's easy to make the dressing from scratch.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Dlr, sounds a lot like my shingles vax. You can put an ice pack on the spot if it bothers you and be sure to keep moving it even if it's achy.

Another lovely sunny and warm day here. Tomorrow we go back to freezing temps and the snow. Have the usual to do around the house. Mac&cheese for dinner with chopped ham, whatever leftover vegs we have. Easy.

Hope everyone is doing well.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Cooler and cloudy today, weather moving in. Not sure what the latest prediction is. Last night they said it could be too warm to snow as the big storm passes over us tomorrow. Rain would be ok, it's been dry here.

Sewing projects and closet clean out to do today. Lot of things I know will never fit me again, just taking up space.

GB, congrats on the lucky win!

Zhoen, hope H is feeling less cranky soon. :)

Pork and pineapple rice bowls for dinner. Will make sure there is leftover broccoli for DH to make egg cups for next week.

TGIF!

· Registered
13,526 Posts

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Below freezing this morning with 1-2 inches on the ground. Watching it blow around. Everything is still pretty, like a frosted cake. A plow came by, I'm rather surprised. Storm has dipped south and is picking up gulf moisture before heading east. Could be a big one.

Not much going on today. Memorial service for a friend's husband this afternoon, roads should be clear by then. We only have to drive a mile or so.

Thawed one of my extra turkey breasts, will be roasting that for dinner. Have brussels sprouts, potatoes, gravy, etc.

Hope everyone has a nice, warm weekend.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Still have snow on the ground and below freezing temps. No plans today. New cat on the back deck this morning, brown tabby stripe with a clipped ear. Another stray. It was very hungry.

MLK day tomorrow. DH should have it off work. I'm going to be getting ready for the monthly quilt bee. Will also go over my grocery list. Need vegetables and a very few other things but I think it is going to hit $100 again. Planning to get most of it from Aldi.

Tuna sandwiches and soup for dinner. Something easy. Have some old bread I can cut up and toast for croutons.

1 - 20 of 372 Posts