Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

· Registered
1,937 Posts
That's cold GB....it only got to 32 here....we are snug in our home....not doing anything today and won't be going out. Have no idea what we will eat....trying to eat better....

DH goes back to work tomorrow too....Yay is right....I get nothing done when he is here....if I start something he wants to "help" me....or he makes a comment about what I'm doing which irritates me...or I'll be in he middle of something and he wants to talk to me.....I'm grouchy I guess.

CH I'm with you and staying away from people.... It's all very scary and It's very scary for people who have health problems. I had family members (in another state) get Covid over Christmas too and all I heard was whining and crying about missing Christmas and not being able to see the granddaughter open her gifts....I wasn't very nice....if you are out working in the public and don't wear your mask and refuse to be vaccinated, sorry I have no sympathy for you......

My husband family get together usually on New Years Day but we told them we were not coming ....I don't believe they are vaccinated and I doubt they wear masks......the nieces and nephews all have young children and they are all out and about and act like they don't have a care in the world.... Yesterday we heard they cancelled at the 11 hour as they all were sick.... it's a good think we declined....
I feel bad for sil who hosted as she always goes all out. Doubt they would have missed us.....few years they forgot to invite us....now all she had to do was invite my husband and one sister, it's not like she had 20 people to invite.........my kids and grandkids do not attend....they went once or twice and that was it... my husband understands and he see why they don't attend so it's okay by him.......holidays are tough with crazy families.....

Started packing what little I had out for Christmas....it seems like a lot now that I'm packing it back up....will be glad when I'm done...

Have a good week...stay safe...stay warm....stay healthy

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Cool here today....I think it's 60....another cold front coming in....
Rujjero that was very nice of you to think of your co worker....I'm sure she appreciated it....
Maggie that I-95 pile up was scary.....like the weatherman said last night people don't know how to prepare for something like that and they should always carry supplies in their cars which 90% don't....when I lived back north we always had a box with blankets, food, water, those heating things for your hands and feet, extra clothing.....I heard their was a 4 month old baby in one of the cars....that is SCARY.....it's a miracle no one lost their life......
GB that is a good buy on Melatonin.....87% is darn good and to get EB too....you go girl....I haven't been to CVS in awhile...went before Christmas because they sent me $5 and you know how bargain shoppers are....had to use it....lol not liking those new scanners....
CH hope your doctors appointment goes well....I think I forgot to give myself a shot week after Christmas so had to wait till this week and I was hurting....two days and I'm up and walking....I can't take shot if I'm not feeling well and there has been times in the past where I had to wait six week in-between and I wasn't feeling like I did just missing a week....not sure what we will do if it stops working....will worry about it if the time comes....for now I'm feeling much better....
DLR I love to see the first snow but then when it gets dirty, wet and muddy I'm over it....
Jetts I've been wanting fruit but there's not much to choose from....I'm tired of bananas....I picked up some dried apples at Big Lots but sometimes you just want a juicy piece of fruit....
Picking up grandson from school today....mom had to go to country and help her mom....
Nothing planned for weekend.....numbers are up so we are staying away from everyone....
Have a great weekend everyone...stay safe...stay healthy...

· Registered
1,937 Posts
WOW....lots of snow and cold weather....we are in the 40's....so warm compared to others...

Lazy Friday....have to pick up grandson from school....

Middle grandson has new apartment but can't move in till next week. Can't wait I have a ton of things for him and they are sitting in living room...seems like I get rid of things and then more take its place.
Ruj hope the strike doesn't happen. Good luck to husband...hope he gets job....

Found a second hand book store not far from house but I'm afraid to go now with our numbers sky high.. We are close to being back in the red zone....I'm praying we don't have to go in for an emergency.....no beds and short staffed....last year when I was in hospital I remember one night nurse came in and introduced herself and mentioned she was the only one on duty that night! Very scary..
Nothing planned for weekend....hope everyone has a great weekend....stay safe...stay healthy....

· Registered
1,937 Posts
I've joined a decluttering page on fb and they have inspired me to start.....I did the linen closet today...no linens in it just a lot of stuff....have a bag to donate and threw away some old stuff....mostly just needed organizing....

Decided I needed a bookcase in guest room so going to give nightstand to grandson and put small dresser by bed and put bookcase where dresser use to be....oldest grandson has a bookcase in garage he said I could have....

middle grandson will be moving into his apartment next week Monday and I will be happy to get the three huge totes overflowing out of my living room, plus three boxes....picked him up a new set of dishes and a toaster tonite...he's pretty much set in the kitchen and bedroom....now got to find him some living room furniture....nothing fancy....just clean.....

It's been yucky here all day....had a really bad storm last night....from 11-1 phone kept going off tornadoes and flooding warning.....husband went and got gas so he went thru drive thru and picked up Coney's for dinner....

Hope everyone has a great week....stay safe...stay healthy....

· Registered
1,937 Posts
It's been cold and windy here.....then it gets up to 70's for a few hours and boom it's back down to being cold and windy again.......my old body is feeling it....when I was about ten I dropped one of those cast iron iron on my foot....it fell from a shelf...it was the kind you heated on the stove and ironed with it.....then last year a really heavy vase fell on same foot....now, that foot is really hurting me and I'm having a problem walking....they say RA attacks your weakest part of body so I guess it's my foot now.....haven't felt like doing much but trying to stay active....somedays I just want to stay in bed....

Did a curb side grocery pick up today....I really wanted fresh fruit but found nothing that I liked....so settled for some canned...

Son in law, only 48, had a massive heart attack last week but thankfully he pulled thru....long road to recovery. I doubt he will ever be able to work again. His heart is badly damaged....

Middle grandson moved into his apartment tonight....I think....his sofa is sitting in my garage....probably got too dark to move it....I hope he will come tomorrow as my living room is stacked full of stuff for his apartment....I picked up the sofa at an auction from the wealthy part of town... very clean...very heavy......paid $7 so I think I got a good deal...also picked up a really nice gold parson chair....Then today I picked up some lamps from a different auction and they were suppose to come with shades and you guessed it....no shades....and one lamp was broken....sent them an email and told them they need to advise me what they want to do....I got the lamps purposely because they had shades.....just scrolled on by the ones that didn't have shades....shades are expensive....

Ordered our free COVID tests....we also have some that husband's boss gave us....hopefully we don't have to use them...

Great grandson got covid from school....he is recovering just has a wicked cough....won't go back to school till next week even tho school said he could come back....nope....

Hope everyone is healthy.....stay safe.....

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Zhoen you are too funny.....the box of poop is new.....years ago I had to put a smear of poop on a cardboard piece of paper and send it out....took me about nine months to get up the nerve to do it.......can you imagine if box was delivered to wrong address? Or how about if porch thieves got it.....would serve them right....

Hope everyone ordered their four covid tests....and hope you won't have to use them...

It's getting cold here....we aren't use to this crap....they say it won't be like last year so I hope not....but I'm prepared and think I got the grandkids who live on their own fixed up so they can survive....

Grandson stopped by and I gave him extra blankets for him to cover his reptile cages....he has a snake and a lizard. ugh...last year he had to sit in the car with heater running to keep snake alive....he didn't get his sofa yet as it was raining tonite and last night they didn't get his boxes moved till 11.....they will come over on Monday to get his sofa and the boxes I have...he did take his pots and pans tonight...poor kid got up this morning and discovered he forget to get his silverware from his Mom's house....no spoons so no cereal...didn't have his pots and pans so no eggs....the little things....he's learning to be prepared better....

Had chicken thighs for dinner, dipped in garlic butter and used a box of stuffing for the crumb coating.....stuffing was 24 cents a box so I got four boxes.....they were really good....have enough for tomorrow night....I'm getting so I hate to cook...

Stay warm everyone...stay safe....Hope everyone has a great week...

· Registered
1,937 Posts
CH that is horrible...I agree ....how do people afford it....that's a big jump....can you call and see if you can get some assistance on it?

I just had a colonoscopy few months ago and you don't have to drink that nasty stuff like you use to...you still have to drink stuff but it isn't as bad as it was years ago....it's no fun but I'm glad it's over and I have four more years before I have to do it again....

Chilly here this morning....I hate showering when it's like this but of course I have no choice so I suck it up....

Leftovers for dinner....

Got a huge box from two cousins last night filled with stuff for my shoeboxes and pencil packs. My sister will have plenty to do when she gets here....just taking tags off and packing is a job....and the trash...the toys are the worst...they have wires and that hard plastic and it's impossible to get off without cutting.....I can't see a child doing it....and in 3rd world countries they don't have ways to dispose of trash like we do....and of course, it takes up too much room in boxes....so everything has to taken out of package and tags cut off.....it all takes time....

Hope everyone is staying warm....we have to go out to pick up an auction I won last night....just stuff for my shoeboxes...I picked up my lamps on Tuesday and two are missing shades and one is completely wrong lamp and it's broken. Waiting to hear from them. I'm sure she isn't looking forward to talking to me about it...

Stay warm everyone....

· Registered
1,937 Posts
I'm sorry Zhoen. Sometimes things hit too close to home. I pray your daughter will remember and not go down that path. It's so darn hard nowadays....so much out there....and like you said once they are adults they do what they want and nothing you can do but pray.....

We door dropped some pork chops, potatoes and carrots I made in the crockpot yesterday and some tortilla soup at my daughters door. The soup turned out really good...it was one of those bagged soup mix that I doctored up. I won 22 cans of, I thought chick peas, but it turned out to be black beans so I added one can and a can of corn and used all chicken broth instead of water and threw in a couple cans of tomatoes.....then in half of it I added macaroni to thicken it up and much to my surprise my husband loved it....that is a first....he is not a soup eater....

Ran to a new store that opened up a few month ago....they had sent me a 15% off coupon so I picked up a few things I "needed" like olive oil, 6 wash cloths, applesauce and huge jar of dried onions....people with no masks were getting into my space so I left....

It's still cold here and going to be colder in the next few days....I'm staying in....

Grandson is suppose to come by tomorrow to pick up sofa in garage and boxes in my living room.....pray it doesn't rain....
Hope everyone has a great week....stay healthy...stay warm..

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Zhoen WTH??? That's crazy....how can they give her a D if she is out sick? Makes no sense to me....I pray you get it straighten out....I am so glad my kids are old.....I use to go round and round with the district as I had a handicap son who needed special classes.....took me six weeks to get him enrolled when we moved here....they had all the records but wouldn't let me enroll him until they had the IEP which they kept putting off....six weeks!!!! Then during the year he missed the bus and I ran him to school...teacher met me at the door and told me it was good thing I brought him cause they were going to send the truant officer out because he missed too much school (had lots of problems with ears)....I was so PO I said fine, I'll take him back home and you send the truant officer and lets see what happens....they sure wasn't worried about his attendance those first six weeks when they dragged their feet getting him enrolled...never had that problem again....it was mentally, emotionally, and physical draining dealing with them......
Good luck....stand your ground....I know you will....:)

· Registered
1,937 Posts
It's chilly here....ran and got my blood work done....they let you wait in the car and they will notify you when they are ready....they buzzed me and I walked in and there were 8 people waiting.....thank goodness they took me right away....took her two pokes to get it....which isn't bad as last time I was in hospital it took 3 nurses 10 minutes to get the IV in....I can't imagine being on drugs and sticking yourself with needles trying to find a vein....it's just beyond me....

It's not raining so I am hoping grandsons will come by and pick up sofa and boxes.....I need them gone....

I took a donation to the women's shelter yesterday.....I called first and got the recording and it didn't say anything about not accepting used items at this time.....got there with a huge bag of probably 50 pairs of leggings and tops and they couldn't take them but they were super nice and asked if I would keep them and bring them back next month....I was able to give them the extra black beans I got and 6 or 8 pairs of new jeans, some hand sanitizer and some large plastic cups. Had three people come out and thank us personally for what we donated which wasn't all that much. I will keep the leggings and take them back next month.

Zhoen what do you plan on doing in your redecorating?

Going to pick up an auction win this afternoon....it's about an hour's drive. Gets me out of house....won 48 bouillon spoons which I will put in shoeboxes....a spoon is a spoon when you don't have one....picked up 20 packs of spaghetti which will be donated and a large basket for grandson to keep his extra blankets in....

CH it's like talking to the wall about the vaccine....I have family back east who refuses to get it....they all got covid but were only sick a week and have no side effects.....I don't wish it on anyone but I don't know what it will take.....they say they don't know what's in the shot....yet they eat hot dogs....do they know what's in hot dogs???? I doubt it....and some probably smoke marijuana (it's legal where they live)...do they know what's in that? Probably not...just stupid if you ask me.....

Can you believe February is next week.....stay warm...stay healthy...

· Registered
1,937 Posts
CH that is darn cold....why oh why would they bring a baby out in those conditions....I'm with you on the money part...hope you didn't leave the receipt in bag as they probably took food back and got cash....I hope not....That was very nice of you to help them with something to eat....I haven't been to WF's in years....

That is a lot of money to send a package....I use to send packages to the reservation in SD monthly but I could use the one price box from post office.....I stopped doing that when I retired..... Now we send everything by Fed Ex but try not to send stuff.......

Last time I got pearl onions I got them at Trader Joe's......I do love their tiramisu except wish they would package it better....the cocoa on top just flies all over when you open and cut it.....

Haven't heard if sofa is going tonight....I'm still hoping they just forgot to let me know they were coming over...lol
It's 5:30 and I have no idea what I am going fix for dinner....nothing like waiting till the last minute....

Stay warm....

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Jetts you need boundaries. Once that camper gets in your possession, you will have company all the time and you will never be alone in your travels....
It's been sunny but chilly...we picked up some new bird seed I won. Hope the birds like it....they offered to sell me more at a ridiculous price.
This morning husband and grandson picked up a recliner for grandson. The sofa I got they couldn't get it in the door into the living room....they finally pushed it up the stairs and it's in his bedroom.....I wish they had measured first and found out it wouldn't go in as I would have given him my sofa and kept the new one.....what goes up must come down but I told him if he had to saw in pieces to go ahead....it took hours to get it up and lots of back pain and frustrations....it's a beautiful sofa and I only paid $7 and I hate to see it go like that but not sure he wants to bother trying to get it back down in one piece. We got his downstairs curtains up and his apartment is fixed up nice....typical guy's apartment....full bar and no food....lol
Got another 960 pencils from my nephew's wife....she sent me 960 last week too....I probably have 6500 Ticonderoga pencils to make up my 1000 pencil packs....
Went to Kroger yesterday to pick up a box pizza....$66 later.......now, I found pizza coupon that expire tomorrow so husband said we will go pick up two more and he wants pot pies so will get those and I have a couple of free coupons for eggs and cheese I need to use. I have 3 dozen eggs but I'm not passing up free.....
Hope everyone is staying warm....and if you live on the east coast stay home....I was watching on TV and I don't miss that crap at all....be safe.....
Have a wonderful Sunday....

· Registered
1,937 Posts
It's raining here....dreary....I just want to go back to bed....but of course I'm not....

Doing a load of laundry for neighbor who's house burned.....she's been packing everything up and putting in storage so contractors can come in and repair the house.....fireman said the leak saved the house.....husband saw water pouring out of roof so he turned off water and few hours later when she came home he went over to help her ,thinking the ceiling would be down etc. from leak...looked up and saw the beams smoldering.....she is one lucky gal....they have been smoldering for at least a day fireman said....she could have died in her sleep from smoke.....

I got a ton of madri gras beads today for my shoeboxes. Told husband I could probably sell them and get my money back ten times over....they are in short supply this year because of ships being held up in the port.

I really need to start a meal plan as I never know what I'm having for dinner.....I guess I just need to sit down, plan, and stick with it....my freezer is packed full...picked up two bags of chicken breasts yesterday, 2 pizzas, and texas toast. What fun getting them in....Time to clean it....It's not self defrosting so it's time....

Got grandson a microwave and will be delivered tomorrow....it's turquoise to match his air fryer, canisters, and towel holder. I'm anxious to see it....it's quite small but he will only use it to heat up stuff....you know how young kids are...

Dr. appt. tomorrow afternoon....when I made appt nurse said I would have to come back for check up....I don't think so...give me the shot, check my bloodwork and I'm gone till May....no sense in coming in again next week....
CH that is a high bill....wow....maybe they estimated it and didn't actually read the meter?
GB sounds like a great job for daughter. Glad things are working out for her.
CH hope the cat comes back....we have a pure white one that comes to my back patio at night. Along with the possums. Never see her during the day.....just birds and squirrels. I had a small wooden birdhouse...one you would find in the craft section of DT....I made an approved mixture for birds out of flour, water, sugar and knox gelatin I think and covered it then rolled it in seeds....added trim of oranges, apples, grapes, and cranberries....hung it in tree....birds ignored it....it fell on ground and our camera show the squirrel came by and carried it away....up over the fence....guess he liked it....was going to make them for my craft for next year craft party but not so sure now....

Dlrcpa that is too darn cold....that's why we don't visit back east in the winter....it did snow one year and I was excited...we were on the way to the airport to leave so didn't get to see much of it....
Martha hope your family gets over their sickness....no fun being sick...

Hope everyone is having a good week....stay warm...stay healthy....

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Freezing here....no sun.....we all have power so that's a good thing....slept late again. Sister called from NY and said it's sleeting and freezing and she has no internet....her daughter is without power. And lots of snow.....I don't miss that...
My bird baths are frozen so we chipped ice so birds will have something to drink...we aren't use to doing this...lol.....they seem to like the new birdseed I got....the possum seems to like it too.

Made tortilla soup last night and will have that again tonight. Had some almond crossants in freezer so left them out to proof last night....baked them this morning....had half of one as I am watching my sugar. Have another blood work done first of March for sugar and kidney check. Hoping numbers go down....

Went thru a ton of paperwork I had stored under my bed. It was all the paperwork Medicare sends so it was ten years worth....what a job...not sure why I kept it all.....but now I have room under my bed for my Christmas platters and dinnerware....

Moved the dresser in guest room and brought in the bookcase....lots more room now....was able to empty a couple of totes and organize the stuff on the bookcases....

Received six huge boxes from cousins for my shoeboxes. They are great shoppers....they love doing it....my sister sent me more pencils. I have my work cut out for me.

CH have fun at the craft show....always fun to see what others are doing....some are really talented....

Not doing much....not going out....hope everyone has a great day, stay safe, stay warm....

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Warmer today. Sun is out....
GB hope your dizziness goes away.....enjoy your mani-pedi.
Maggie I found if I ordered on line I don't order the junk food....if I go in to shop I pick up the junk.
Dlr hope you are feeling better.
Rujerro hope the landlord of next door is a good one and fixes up the place and hope the renters have good insurance.
I think we all live in denial about what will happen when we get old as far as our health is concerned. Things change and we never know just what the circumstances will be so it's really hard to plan. Even lots of money doesn't doesn't insure you will get the care you need or want. Life can change in an instant. And you know the saying "best laid plans" and "we plan and God laughs." Husband and I have talked about this and we have plans but who knows what will happen when that time comes. I try not to think about it as there is really nothing we can do about it....

CH soup is always good. What kind are you going to have? We usually have grilled cheese or crackers with soup.

Jetts little sis is probably jealous of big sis. Glad your son is coming to get his stuff....

Grandson is coming by tomorrow to get microwave and tv....will be glad to get it out of my living room....will ask how his Dad is doing....we get more info out of the grandkids then from daughter......only thing I can get from daughter is "he's doing well" sigh....but, I keep sending her a text once a week asking...nothing more I can do....

Husband got a new coffee table....it's a lift up so my sister will be able to sit on sofa when she does the pencil packs and not on the floor.

Have no idea what's for dinner....it will be easy for sure....Monday's I have a hard time getting it together....really need to defrost freezer and start a meal plan....maybe this week....
Hope everyone has a great week. Stay safe and stay warm.

· Registered
1,937 Posts
I had a complete fail today....ran to Aldi's (alone for the first time in about three years)....went for Kombucha...I like the Pink Lady Apple....I picked up five bottles....I wandered the store and before I knew it, I had a cart full....but, I really did enjoy myself.....since the pandemic I've been staying away from stores and when I do go in, my husband comes in with me and we get what we need and leave....I truly enjoyed being by myself....
I washed linens today. straightened up the guest room again....it's a never ending chore....decorated the table for Madri Gras....my tote with decor is in attic so I made do with what I had within reach.
I got a new china cabinet for valentines day. It's not new, it's from the 70's, Ethan Allen and about twice the size I had. Husband used Murphy's oil on it and it shined up nice. He moved everything out of old one, washed the floor (it was pretty bad as my old one sat there for over 25 years) and had grandson's come over and bring in the new one....they took the old one to my daughter. I filled it yesterday. Got rid of some stuff but kept most of it...I use it all to decorate my table...I just enjoy doing it and it makes me happy when I walk into the kitchen and see the table set pretty.
Made an Italian pork roast for dinner with mac and cheese I had to use up and spinach. It was good.
Brown Cabinetry Wood Shelf Drawer

Here's a picture of my cabinet.

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Yesterday it was in the 70's and now today the wind is blowing and it's in the low 40's. Cold front coming in....
Had to take car for oil change....of course they wanted to do $500 more to it.....I don't even mess with them....they start talking and I'm dialing my husband....They always seems to find something don't they....my husband keeps our cars all running great....he is always on top of things.....

Stopped at Target to get my Kivata and ended up getting yogurt, bananas, and $60 later......who knows what else......I did break down and get a bee and a grasshopper for my table setting....they were $3 each....I don't need but they were so cute....they had a dragonfly also and wished I could afford four to use on my napkin rings....I probably could have gotten the dragonflies and not the bee and grasshopper but they only had one of each of those and the bee was just too cute....

Sounds like everyone is having cold weather....

We are having problems with our trash being picked up too but it's because of not having enough drivers...people just don't want to work.

Found a bag of old slides that I haven't seen in 60 years....husband put them on the computer for me...what fun looking at them....there are some from I think, a graduation party that I have no idea who they guys are but it was fun looking at them.

Stay warm and stay healthy....

· Registered
1,937 Posts
CH the cold isn't good for your arthritis....hope you feel better.....somedays it hurts to just move and I just want to sit but of course with the blood clot situation I can't do that.....and it's not good for the RA either....you got to keep moving...

It was in the 30's last night but it's up to 43 now. suppose to stay this way for weekend I think. We have to run to pick up some tshirt I got for my shoeboxes but other then that nothing to do.

Target had avocados yesterday for 33 cents....they were large and got two that were ripe....husband doesn't like them so they are for me to make avocado toast. I'm tired of yogurt and toast and cheese....not a cereal person. Will have egg on toast often but that gets boring too....sometimes I'll have oatmeal...first world problem....
Don't know what I'll fix for dinner....I do have tortilla soup in freezer I could pull out....might do that....I have tortilla I can make into chips....
Stay safe...stay healthy...stay warm...have a great day....

· Registered
1,937 Posts
It's wet and raining.....very dreary outside....42 degrees.....we aren't use to this...I'm chilled to the bone...
Picked up a couple new totes today....
Took my Madra Gras table apart and will do a safari theme next I think....
Leftover pizza for dinner....
Stay safe...stay warm and dry....

1 - 20 of 98 Posts