Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Happy Halloween! I used to be on years ago as RABBIT but had trouble signing in so changed my user name to CountryRabbit. I became very busy for years fostering broken/damaged dogs and it just took up so much of my time I stepped away. We lost one of my dogs in March, suddenly and unexpectedly and I just lost the desire to foster I think. I did foster a little dog in May and we ended up adopting her. We now have 3 littles and two cats.

We worked on cleaning up the leaves that were down yesterday and today it rained so more came down. I hope they all come down by this weekend so we can be done with it but we’ll see. No motivation today, I think it’s the weather, grey and rainy, so not much getting done here after work. Making bowls for dinner. Brown rice, black beans, baby spinach topped with guacamole and salsa.

· Registered
49 Posts
Sorry about the loss of your cat, CH. I’m still grieving the loss of Beastie. ( my nickname for her) I got caught up this morning since nothing much got accompolished yesterday. Bathrooms were cleaned, all floors vacuumed, furniture vacuumed and two loads of dog blankets washed. After years of searching for the perfect sectional we bought one in January. Had to wait six months for it to be delivered and now it gets semi-covered in blankets for the dogs! Oh well, part of sharing the house with them. Chili and cornbread tonight for dinner. It has been so beautiful here in Michigan lately, much warmer temps then normal.

· Registered
49 Posts
I had the day off today. This morning I washed the floors, did a load of wash, ironed a pair of pants, mended a shirt and scheduled some appointments that I have been putting off. It is another beautiful day in the mid sixties, so I decided to take the lawn tractor and mulch the leaves that have fallen since we did them last weekend. Also dug up the last of the pepper plants. I took the two younger dogs to the park and it was gorgeous walking the trails through the woods with leaves floating down. I wanted to take a video for dh to see but too hard when your dogs walk like they are part sled dog/squirrel. Dinner will be crockpot lasagna, broccoli and salad.

· Registered
49 Posts
I heard gas went up here 19 cents overnight, glad I didn’t need to stop today. Thursday is my long day at work so not much gets done. Glad I have LO chili for dinner and don‘t have to cook. I’m going to feed the dogs and then go out with them and get a walk in, my plans for tonight are lounging on the couch and not much else.

· Registered
49 Posts
Friday after work stopped at Dollar Tree for Thanksgiving cards then went to Kroger for sale items and picked up a bag of some discounted Halloween candy. Dh has been making us HM blizzards with them this weekend. I mulched the leaves that were down in front on Friday again since we were going to have 40 mile in hour winds on Saturday. Glad I did because the few leaves that were left just blew away. Glad the leaves are all done now. Friday evening my phone said no sim and was basically useless so had to go to Verizon on Saturday morning to have it fixed. Took an hour but I was glad it was not a bigger issue. Then went to Meijer since they had a mperks coupon for a massage gun for 50% off. I’ve been wanting one due to having plantar fasciitis in my right foot. I’m hoping it works.

Dh got both riding mowers and push mower winterized this weekend. We still have to put up plastic in the windows in the house since they are drafty and then I think we’ll be ready for winter. I think Dh is going to put the snow sticks in the driveway next weekend. Today has been a lazy day, watched church service, prepped food for lunches for the week, Dh watched football while I read and watched my series.

· Registered
49 Posts
rujerro - we just use those window insulation kits you buy, Frost King maybe? The tape does leave a mark on the windows when you remove it but since our windows are drafty we don’t have much of a choice.

Zhoen - I am in awe that you have planned out your menu so far ahead.

Woke up last night to the start of a migraine. Still had it when I got up so went back to bed for another hour, wasn’t real bad, just bad enough to make me feel crummy. I went to shake out the dog blankets on the couch and saw some liquid on the front porch. Turns out it was one of the pumpkins I had used for decoration that was now a big rotten mess. So that was fun to clean up while I felt ill. The smell was horrible. I had leaf garland around the bottom of the pumpkins and it got all over that too. I threw that in the garage to deal with when I got home from work.

We had just used our last bag of salt for the water softener so when I saw that it was on sale for 4/$19 I stopped on the way home from work and bought 4. Dh had the same idea because he stopped after work and bought 8 so we have enough now for the next year. I put the leaf garland in a bucket with water and Pinesol and let it soak for a bit before I rinsed it out and it’s clean and the smell is gone. Walked for 30 minutes since I didn’t do my normal morning workout.

· Registered
49 Posts
Bookwormpeg - you have done a nice job planning your husbands birthday party, the menu sounds good.

Maggie - car rides are always better with someone who has a sense of humor.

Beautiful day today, I think it hit 70 degrees. When I got home from work I took the two younger dogs for a walk at the park. So nice walking the trails and saw a few people who brought their horses out. Meijer is having a mperk deal on Saturday, 10% off Meijer gift cards up to $250. Since I was planning on getting my mom a $100 Meijer gift card for Christmas I plan on picking that up as well as getting $150 card for me to use for grocery shopping. My mom lives in an assisted living facility and has a studio apartment so no room for anything. The building was a former hotel so her apartment is a hotel room. She has to buy some of her stuff herself so I know the gift card will be appreciated. Black bean and corn pizza tonight with salad for dinner.

· Registered
49 Posts
Jetts - it’s always fun to see kids experience things for the first time. Sounds like a nice trip.

dlr - I used Dawn Powerwash to clean grout at a job last year and it worked well.

Well I thought I was taking a break from fostering but got sucked back in. It’s like the song Hotel California, you can check out anytime you like but you can never leave. 😂 Like most rescues around the country, there is too many animals and not enough adopters. We are never going to rescue our way out of this problem, I wish there would be spay and neuter laws. Foster dog is a medium scruffy wire hair. People seem to love dogs that look like that so I hope I don’t have him for months.
Already did a run through of the house now just waiting for dh to finish up what he’s doing and then we’ll go to Meijer and Kroger. I have to give dh a haircut later too.

· Registered
49 Posts
Had to return foster dog yesterday, always hard to do. He bit dh twice and was going after him again so I had to get between them. You just don’t know what some of these poor dogs have been through. He was very head shy so I’m assuming someone wasn’t very nice to him. I am picking up a puppy tomorrow to foster
It was also 22 degrees here this morning and sure felt like it. I always go out with the dogs before work to clean up poop and it was cold out this morning. Brrrrr.
Got home from work and remembered I was going to drop off a library book on the way home so had to go back out and do that. Mended a dog toy, ironed a pair of pants and finished cleaning the bathrooms that I had started before work. When dh got home, I held the flashlight while he put the snow sticks by the driveway. We might be getting some snow tomorrow.

· Registered
49 Posts
I agree with Martha, using comet in tubs and lots of elbow grease usually works well.

Martha and Jetts, I hope both of you stay well and don’t catch what your husbands have. Jetts, that is so kind of you to take Winky in. He probably would have a hard time making it on his own with only sight in one eye.

Kroger has sweet potatoes on sale for 19 cents a lb. this week. I already have it on my list. Yesterday I picked up the fearful puppy. She was dropped off by a crackhead, in a taped up box. She was panicking at the shelter but once she came home with me she was fine. The shelter environment was just too much for her. She is great with my dogs and cats. Very calm for a 9 month old puppy. After I got her home and settled I went and got my hair cut. I let it grow out during the pandemic and I was just tired of long hair that I wore up in a clip everyday. Not real thrilled with the haircut but I do love how shorter hair feels and hair grows. I will tweak it some at my next hair appointment.

Today was my day off, it started at the Dermatologist for my 6 month skin check. I was really worried this time but I got another clean check. Then I went to Salvation Army to finally drop off the donations in my back seat that have been there for weeks. Not a mobile hoarder anymore! Went inside but didn’t see anything I liked. Picked up some wood stove paint and paint swatches for the bedroom at Home Depot. I had a little time so stopped in at At Home. Boy, next time I go there I will have to pack a lunch, so much to look at. Then off to Costco for an eye appointment. Eye Dr. said not much change so no need for a new prescription. I did find out I have dry eye though so have to pick up some eye drops. He did give me a sample. Picked up a few things I needed there. My final stop was Meijer to pick up a car headlight bulb. I noticed one of mine was burned out yesterday. LO pork loin tonight.

· Registered
49 Posts
28 degrees out this morning and I think I’ve been out with the puppy 5 times already. 😩 She woke me up at 4:00 to go out and since it was too close to the time we get up (5:00) I never did fall back asleep. We had ice/snow overnight and dh called me this morning to tell me roads are ice covered. He could only go 15-20 miles an hour on the freeway. I will start an hour later today to give the salt trucks a chance to get out. This will screw up my whole day……..I HATE winter.

· Registered
49 Posts
It was so cold this past weekend that we could not procrastinate anymore so we got the plastic on the windows up.
Foster pup started with diarrhea this morning so now I’m dealing with that. No good deed goes unpunished. Stopped at Meijer this morning to pick up a few sale items and picked up a box of Christmas cards. I had stopped doing them for a few years but started back last year. Having fish for dinner. We started a couple of years ago having fish twice a week so it saves me from thinking about Monday and Fridays dinners.

· Registered
49 Posts
Finally, a chance to pop on and catch up. Puppy is keeping me busy and dh is upset about her being here so fun times at my house. 🙁 Thanksgiving we went to my sisters house and had a wonderful time. Was happy to see that stores are now closed on Thanksgiving, it took a pandemic for that nonsense to end. I always felt sorry for the workers in retail having to work on the holiday. Friday both dh and I had to work but luckily traffic was light. Most people must shop online now. Today I spent home catching up around here. Housework, laundry and got my outside fall decorations put away. Did some Christmas decorating inside, I usually put the tree up but with a puppy here decided to wait. She has a meet and greet on Wednesday so cross your fingers for me that potential adopter will fall in love. My evening plans are to not leave my couch.

· Registered
49 Posts
Got gas at Costco this morning for 3.12 a gallon. I had to check three times to make sure I was seeing it right. I kept thinking maybe I was seeing a one when it was really a seven. Hope it stays that price. Picked up a few sale items at Meijer before work, nothing much on sale that we eat. I’m on puppy duty so nothing much is getting done.

· Registered
49 Posts
Meet and greet for puppy was yesterday evening. The potential adopter also met another dog, heard back today that she is thinking about adopting puppy, just wants to think about it a little more. I’m crossing my fingers. Stopped for some bananas today and filled up the car at Costco for $2.89 a gallon! I couldn’t believe it. After work met my nephew, wife and kids at the park for a walk. I brought foster pup and she did great. My nephew asked if I could adopt him, he’s 40! LOL! We have always had a great relationship since he was a little kid. Made a pork loin for dinner.

· Registered
49 Posts
Puppy is still here, potential adopter decided she didn’t want a puppy. I am tired of raising a puppy, she is smart but exhausting. Had to get tires on the SUV, boy has the price of tires gone up. Maxed out both of our Roth contributions and my SEP, so done for the year. I picked up a sample can of paint at Home Depot this morning. I have wanted to paint the bedroom for a long time. Last time we painted I was still able to get free samples from Benjamin Moore but they don‘t offer that anymore. I hated to pay for it but better than buying a whole gallon that I might not even like. Paid my winter taxes on the way home from work.

· Registered
49 Posts
jetts - here too, so many people coughing away in stores and not even covering their mouths. Ugh.

CH - there is always an adjustment period isn’t there with new pets. Hopefully your new cat realizes that she will get her share of attention with her new family.

Stopped at Aldi today and was happy that they had everything I needed in the baking section. I have some baking to do for some holiday get togethers and wanted to start getting what I need. Spent too much time talking to my sister on the phone so not much got done, did manage to get a load of wash done. Chicken wraps for dinner.

· Registered
49 Posts
Martha - never heard of a Christmas horror movie! LOL

Puppy had a meet and greet last night and the young woman loves her. Yay! Home check was today and I will be meeting adopter at the rescue tomorrow morning at 9:00 for adoption. I am so ready for her to be gone. Stopped at Kroger after work for some sale items and ran into someone I haven’t seen in a long time. We talked for about 20 minutes and promised that we would get together after the holidays. Tomorrow we have our Christmas party with my in-laws. I’m bringing an appetizer and desserts. My SIL just wants it to be finger food, easy enough.

· Registered
49 Posts
Well puppy went to her new home yesterday. I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon cleaning and putting my house back together. I had puppy proofed so rugs had been rolled up and put away along with an end table that I didn’t want knocked around. Dh helped me get the crate back downstairs as well as a gate I used to keep puppy in a section of my house. All dog blankets were washed, two loads and floors vacuumed and washed. It felt so good to get my house back! Dh helped me make food for my SIL’s Christmas get together and we had a nice time over there last night. Today we got up and prepped food for our lunches for the week and the rest of the day I just decompressed, I think my pets needed it too. I will never foster a puppy again. Just wrote out some thank you cards for presents we received last night and now will just veg in front of the tv for the rest of the night.

· Registered
49 Posts
Puppy’s adopter texted me yesterday and everything is going well, she loves her so much so I am happy. I had to stop at Costco today, didn’t really want due to it being so close to Christmas but needed a few items. Store was packed but oddly enough not many people in the checkouts so I didn’t have to wait long in line. I have no idea what to get dh for Christmas, was going to get him a new heater for the garage but he got his old one working. He is no help with ideas either. I really should be working on Christmas cards tonight but I not motivated to do so. If I keep putting it off it will never get done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts