Frugal Village Forums banner
801 - 820 of 878 Posts

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Hot and humid here. Planning a quiet day at home. Would be nice to go out but don't need to. Gas is 4.49-59, so not too bad here compared to some places. Will check all my plants on the deck. Hoping for a cooler weekend so I can plant the last few things, like cucumbers.

Happy Anniversary, Dlr.

Large salad for dinner.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Too hot. So much work to do outside. Still trying to get the pool going. It's just too hot.

Taking mom to get her hair done and then the DMV for an ID. Hopefully it won't be too busy. Then I need to drop a package at UPS. Pick up youngest dgd. She's spending the night since sissy is at nana's. She's so excited. She'll probably just want to use the ipad the whole time. Whatever. Need to water the plants on the deck. Talk of rain, but haven't seen it. Dh mowed last night just before it got dark.

Not sure what we'll do for dinner. Maybe something fun for dgd. She's pretty picky. She wants a popsicle, chocolate, popsicle, orange soda. I tell her she needs to eat something good and she'll finally ask for a sandwich or strawbees.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Dlr, I should do the same before the weeds over grow my tomatoes.

Invited to a friend's house tomorrow. Not sure what to bring, don't want to do a shopping trip.

Brats on buns for dinner.

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Another hot day here.....had to run youngest grandson to work.....he just graduated and got a job but hasn't gotten his license yet. His Dad said he's afraid to drive on freeways and that's what we have here....lots and lots of freeways...I didn't drive the freeways when I first moved here 40 years ago so I do understand.....and there are so many crazies....just heard about a 19 year old shot not far from his house....road rage....people are just going crazy....

Got to run to DT to pick up a couple of icing mix.....I have ten kids party packs ready to donate tomorrow to food pantry....

Oldest grandson came for dinner last night....I had a small box and decided to make him a charcuterie box....he loved it....then had pork roast, pierogies, roasted cauliflower and carrots, salad, naan, fruit salad and chocolate pudding....have enough for leftovers......he never had pierogies and he really liked them....told him where to find them in the freezer section...
Jetts hope your youngest gd has a good time with you.....they love that one on one time....

Hope everyone is staying cool and have a great weekend.....

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hello Frugals!!!

Today was an extreme rarity in my world... a legit no-spend day! Even on days I don't leave the house, it seems that there is always something I need to order or a kid who needs $$ for some school thing... That said, the most exciting thing I did today was cook and learn to do "Judy's magic cast on" for knitting socks... The fact that my car is on E was a good motivator to keep me home... I CAN afford to fill up, but knowing that I get 3.75 miles-to-the-dollar (or $.27/mile if you prefer) means I'm sticking closer to home right now and not filling up until I'm heading out anyway (which will probably be tomorrow...)

That said, yesterday my niece was off work and bored, so she, DD18, and I drove out to World Market (roughly 40 miles away) just to get a change of scenery... That drive took us through DC, so we saw the Washington Monument, Lincoln, Jefferson, WW2, and Air Force memorials, plus skirted the pentagon and Arlington... Hey, plenty of tourists pay $$$$ to come to town and see those things!!! Driving past them counts as a "staycation," right? 😜 🤣

Tomorrow we are doing Father's Day a day early since H is working on Sunday, so whether he agrees to mini-golf or sticks with his petition for all 4 of us to go to the movies, it will be a spendy kind of day...

The only real news here is that DD18 signed up for a pet-care-gig website and we are looking at dog-sitting a sweet german shepard for 2 weeks around the end of the month... The chickens will have to time-share the yard, the cats will be angry at us, and we are just going to babygate off the whole hallway leading to DD15's room where the rabbits live... but it would be nice to have a temporary dog. :) Meanwhile, she is applying to pet stores in the area and has finished the thank-you notes I care about... she technically has 2 more to do, but if she doesn't, I won't lose sleep over those 2...

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Bright sunny day, but hot. Oldest dgd is on her way back. She texted and asked if the pool was ready. It's been so hot. Dh spent one day at work outside the whole day. I told him to stay in and rest. He ended up going back to work to fix a problem, but waited until dark when it was cooler. He just left to get a submersible pump. We haven't had much luck with the reverse pool pump. This will get it done fast. Straighten the sides, clean it out and start filling. It should be ready on Monday. Can't wait to hear how dgd's visit was. We had the youngest all weekend. I'm ready for her to go home. She's always hungry. Usually asks for a popsicle, but before she can have another popsicle, she has to eat something good. Usually strawberries or a sandwich. Then she wouldn't go to sleep last night. I just had to get stern and tell her to close her eyes and go to sleep. She was out quick.

Took my mom for her hair appointment and then to get her ID. Her license expires this month, she just got the ID instead. We were driving home, had just asked if she wanted anything for lunch and then her hands started twitching, her head dropped and she was making some kind of noise and then sounded like she was going to throw up. I was shaking her and asking her if she was okay, all while I'm trying to drive. We were waiting at the light and she still wasn't responding, so I turned and headed toward the hospital. She finally came to and said to take her home. She was talking fine by the time we got home. I think she may have had a seizure. She does get light headed, but she never yawned. Seizures are common with people on dialysis. We're just not sure what to do with them anymore. My dad thinks he needs to go to church, leaving my mom home by herself. It's just too much for me to run over there all the time to sit with one of them. We're looking at our options. I just don't think either of them will be here much longer.

Going to try and catch up on things around here. Maybe help with the pool or at least watch while they work on the pool. We won't ask ds for help. They are just being a pain. We give and give and give and then when we need something...ds and wife can't see that we are willing to pay to fix their fence in exchange for watching our dogs. Ds2 called and said he has a friend going to Florida and will bring the dogs down when they go. Works for me. Then we can fly down maybe in the fall, when the weather is cooler. I may even pay extra and bring my dogs with us. They should fit under the seat. I may have to buy carriers that will fit, but I might just do that.

Hope y'all have a great weekend and stay cool.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Another hot one. Looks like another whole week of 90+ temps. Slept late this morning, I've been tired all week and needed it. Going over to a friend's house for a cookout this afternoon. Couldn't come up with a dish to take that didn't require a trip to the store, so we're going to stop at the grocery on the way and pick up something. Not sure if we'll want dinner after. Can make sandwiches at home if we're hungry.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Jettsmom-- Goodness, what a scare with your mother!!! Does your father's church livestream the services? If so, I wonder if the visitation ministry might be able to arrange for someone to pick up Dad while another stays with Mom and they watch from home (even if Mom is just snoozing in her chair.) I agree that you have to be realistic with how much you can do and stay sane! Hopefully the church can help with a plan-- some do, some don't...

H decided to spend his "alternate Father's Day" down in the basement, same as always. Kind of cruddy, but at least it didn't end up costing a fortune.

DD15 wanted to hang at our community beach with some friends, so I did end up finally filling my tank while I was already out. From our local gas station I could see the highway traffic backed up with all the beach-go-ers... If they were still at our area at 1pm (half a tank away from the ocean, give-or-take), they are planning to stay the 2-night-minimum when they reach the shore... It's a gorgeous weekend for it, but I hope they know what they are doing!!!

DD18 got a call for an interview Wednesday for one of the pet store jobs she is interested in, but it is 21 miles away and requires (free) training and a 1-year commitment (grooming)... so maybe we will swing by the more local place where she also applied and see if we can get any traction on something closer to home. I don't want to leave her in a transportation lurch when I start working full-time in August and H goes back to school full-time while keeping his twice-a-month internship. Public transportation is unfortunately not an option around here.

Meanwhile, I spent my day doing all the planned cooking, bit of cleaning, and reading an e-book. The weather was perfect for yard work, but I refused to do it if H was just sitting in the basement not helping, so luckily the weather for the next few days is also looking nice... now if only I could find some motivation/energy!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Jetts- I was nervous reading your post about your Mom! How frightening. DH and I discuss steps to take for his parents since one is disabled with MS/type 1 diabetes and needs 24 hr care while the other walks with a cane and has had leg surgeries. Both have dementia and a cousin and travel cna come in daily to clean up mom and give her meds. DH's sister wants nothing to do with this care thing and DH lives 1500 miles away. We know decisions will need to be made but the in-laws refuse to spend money or let DH know their financials. DH doesn't have poa of anything, even though they tell DH he is in charge. DH has tried to be firm in his words with them but they won't listen and who knows how much they understand.

Plants are growing and a yellow raspberry appeared. I gave the strawberry a peroxide/water mix to help it get more oxygen and not get brown leaves. Saw that on youtube.

Garlic is sprouting but I have no idea about it and thought it wouldn't grow until Spring. I planted shallots and again, no idea about it. Gotta read up on those.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Yes is it hard when parents get older. Rujerro he can get guardianship over them..is a progress cus even if they give him poa doesn't count if they have confirmed dementia.

overcast here and probably rain since 100% humidity.. apparently maybe nice weather in the next few days. marinating steaks got on sale for fathers day plus salad and corn. couple free classic auto shows going on today so will go to one of them. was going to do magic show but sold out..very tiny audience so have tixs for a couple of weeks away. that is his present. did have some fancy soap for him too.

ds had his prom w friends and had fun. grad ceremony in a few days. he got his robe which at least w school colours would be perfect for halloween zombie or something later. nothing big planned just reg errands and work cus need to spend some time on volunteer and other job cus the allergy week put me behind. ds and I still have them but at least rain gets the pollen and cotton fluff out of the air. just got him to put out a seed suet block cus everything is behind in growth so hungry animals.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
DH and DS2 were sick and now I have it. I'm feeling better so went for a walk and planted the raspberry. This one has a yellow berry on it and I hope it thrives. I put the lemon outside but honestly, it lost all of its leaves and fruit. The nursery recommended a different soil. I replanted it in its pot and the weather has been hot, so outside it went.

I called my SIL to see how my in-laws are doing and she said good. She didn't elaborate so I'm not sure what that means. She just said that Mom sits in a w/c when there are enough people to come over and lift her. I asked if she stays in bed if there aren't enough people to put her in the w/c and she said no.......Again, no details.

Monday is a federal holiday, so no trash pick-up.

I hope to get a apple tree tomorrow and take it home to plant. Otherwise, I'll have to call the landscaper to see if he can deliver and plant it. It would be way cheaper to use DH's car to bring it home, though.

Leftovers for dinner. I may make scones tonight.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Good Evening, Frugals!!!

Not much going on here (still...) which is a blessed change from last month when all-too-much-at-once was going on!!!

DD15, who has been rocking a rainbow spectrum of hair for a couple of years now, decided she wanted to go back to her roots (which is really the most shocking color she could choose in our wacky modern times...) and I am pleased to announce that for less than $20, I was able to successfully take her from bleach-blond to dark brunette with a few lighter spots that pass for highlights/dimension. Thank goodness. That kind of restoration costs $$$ at any place you can find that will actually even do it!!! I've told her she has to stick with this until late October now, because her Rennfest job requires "hair of naturally occuring colors..." last year she was Daenerys blond the whole season and she rocked it, but maintaining it was inconvenient for me and physically less-than-comfortable for her...

I am SO disappointed in her, though. I wanted her to wear the churchiest-looking dress we could find to school tomorrow with her hair done in a 50's side-sweep wearing pearls and mary-jane shoes... then when her friends (affectionally known as the league of misfit toys by all their adoring parents) finally realized who she is, I wanted her to speak in soft, glowing prose about how she spent the 3-day weekend away at an "enlightenment seminar" and now she has seen the error of her willful teenage ways-- but she willfully, teenager-y is refusing... hmph...

And since I have been sitting home saving gas these past few days (I swear, I went out more during LOCKDOWN than this past week-or-so) I have been catching up on books I have been meaning to read-- at least the ones I can find on ebooks...

Today I read "The Sweet Potato Queens Big Ass Cookbook and Financial Planner," which is from 2004 and I had spotted in a thrift shop a while back. Parts of it were universally funny, and other parts were wrong-generation or too-southern to really resonate with me-- and the recipes... I think my cholesterol went up just even READING some of them... but it was a pretty good way to spend a few hours.

While I can't see myself joining a SPQ-type group ever (a bit too social for me, I think) and I'm not old enough for a red hat quite yet, reading that reminded me that I have been MEANING to look into the library-based needlecraft gathering around here, and lo-and-behold, there is one at the library 2 blocks from my house tomorrow night!!! So maybe, just maybe, I MIGHT actually leave the house and go somewhere semi-social tomorrow... maybe... The best part is that if I tell the kids I am going to crochet at the library, they will assume I am going drinking or something-- since that is the sort of obvious lie I tell on those rare occasions. Nothing more fun that being lame and having people assume it's a cover-up for something truly wicked!!! 🤣

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Z - hope you enjoy the crochet group. I went to a knitting one a few times and it was fun seeing other people's projects.

Supposed to reach 90 today but it is overcast right now so I'm hoping for 80's instead. Have not felt up to much yard work or exercise but I have nothing else planned today so maybe. Had to drive hubby back & forth (twice) to the shop for one of his cars yesterday, a couple hours wasted there. Finished a sewing project and trying to decide on the next one. Will see if hubby is willing to grill chicken for supper and I should use up potatoes. Have a good day.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Sunny and hot again. Rain moving in. We finally got the pool up and running. We didn't get around to covering it for the winter and leaves fell in and it was just gross. Dh was able to scoop out most of the leaves, poured a couple bottles of bleach in and started filling. We had the water tested yesterday and had to add a few things. It's covered now. May go back Saturday to have the water tested again. Dgd was in heaven. Youngest didn't want to swim. Mommy and daddy came later and youngest dgd decided the pool was fun. Mommy was helping her and for the most part she can stand in the pool on her own. She's not a fish like Sissy. Dh grilled some hamburger and hot dogs and I made fries in the air fryer for dinner. Oldest dgd was in there so long she did get a little sunburn.

Going to walmart today. I just need to get out and do something for myself. Decided I'd go look around walmart. Haven't been there in months. I go to the neighborhood market, but not the big store. Need to get some sun screen for the girls. Think I'm going to try the spray this time. I still have lotion, but it so messy on little ones that don't want to stand still.

Not sure what we'll do for dinner. Dh has a steak leftover that he cooked last night. He could add some mushrooms, onions and peppers to it. He took the leftover hotdogs and hamburgers for lunches this week. I may stop and get something on the way home and eat leftovers tonight.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Rain coming this afternoon, maybe storms. I did 2 exercise classes yesterday, will do one this morning. Pinto beans are in the crock pot for refried beans. I saw baked beans and blackeyed peas in the freezer, plenty on hand for me since hubby won't eat anything w/ beans. Placed another Target pantry order to qualify for $20 rebate, pickup later today. Keep seeing prices go up, depressing.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
We had rain and strong winds last night. The sun is currently trying to shine. Not sure if we're getting more rain. There's talk of rain the next couple of days. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. You just never know anymore.

Had to take the "stray" cat to the vet. She had a UTI. Gave her a couple of shots and some antibiotics. We just mix the meds in her wet food. Because she was mostly an outdoor cat before we took her in, she doesn't like being held and giving meds is a pain. Last time I mixed it with her food and it worked great. She would go in the bathtub and squat and it smells like pee in there. Just sprayed it all down with bleach. Going to go in and scrub it down and then take a shower myself. That way all the bleach should be washed away. Don't know why the cats like to go in and drink water from the tub. It drips sometimes. They have a couple of bowls in the house, but both prefer the tub. Could be the dogs bother them. Had to throw out the bath mat. I guess I could wash it, but it's almost time for a new one anyway. I have a couple of old spares to use in the meantime.

May run to the store to get some crackers. Dh found he likes the Always Save brand of saltines the best. Haven't been able to find them. I'll go to a different location to see if they have them. He also wants some nut thins crackers. Not everyone carries the flavor he likes. Hope to find those too. I always buy a bunch when I do find them.

Not sure what we'll do for dinner. Yesterday I stopped and got some take out for lunch. It was enough for me to eat dinner too and picked up some for dh. I'll have to see what's in the freezer that I feel like cooking. If it's not raining, the girls may come over to swim. Then I'll probably feed everyone again. That's the bad thing about them coming over to swim. It's always around dinner time and then we feel obligated to feed them. May just make breakfast for dinner or frozen pizza.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Finally warming up here!! The garden is almost dry enough to plant the rest of the area and I got 2 raised beds cleaned up. Managed a 'no spend' and got some travel reimbursement from work. That $$ went right into brakes and rotors for the Honda. Oh well. They should last the rest of the life of the car.
Need tires for the truck before winter. It is always something

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Rain finished soon but overcast and should only reach 70 today. That is good the A/C won't have to work and I could bake. Bread is in the machine already. Also bought mulch yesterday, want to stay home and no spending for a couple of days. Figure out next sewing project to use up scraps. Looking forward to a nice weather weekend.

801 - 820 of 878 Posts