Frugal Village Forums banner
961 - 980 of 1043 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
lol bookworm sounds like bargain hunting is a family trait. Trampolines are such fun when they are young. we used to have one outside. Hopefully the drama stops after the funeral Jett! have some deliveries here too.

was in the high 90s w humidity yesterday ..not normal here so hid inside with the ac. Dh was really happy with now having ac in the car. His old one would need the whole ac replaced $$$ wasn't worth it. still will be hot today but a few degrees cooler..of course cats and kids were all out after dark. only one cat likes the heat. in the 80s all week.

Was going to go to work early but my tablet was dead needs charging so will go soon. at least I can park in the shade there. have a list of work to do in the next few days. supposed to get cooler. the boys cleaned out all the ivy on weekend but got the old rose bush poor thing came with the house survived for decades and then them. always a casualty with gardening here. hopefully they didn't rip the roots out. dd friend was over and they wanted dominos so that was dinner. plus making a cake mix said get the toaster oven and do outside. of course oven is still sitting outside but not something we use much at all. dd didn't even know we had one. dh wanted it so fathers day didn't use and then I used for work so paid for itself. She also found out we have a bread machine too lol digging it out.

My birthday was quiet but was sm festival close by so just went there and hung out with friends. got some free books for others. takeout and dh got a dairy queen ice cream log cake. rest got finished last night. We crossed the border monday for first time in years..a lot of prices were the same or higher then home. but mostly stuff we don't get here. different flavours of jello, cheaper br sugar cinnamon poptarts..dh favorite. got my tillamook and krogers cheese and frozen veggies and their version cool whip. baking mixes etc. smuckers marshmellow creme. just stuff we don't get here..junk wise lol .the cheese etc is just really cheap so my freezer is full. hebrew national franks. got csa too last night so except for milk and creamo don't need anything. ordered coffee online w the cat food. cheapest.

of course lots of watering..someone went though the porch last night knocking stuff over..don't think was my reg raccoon unless it was the babies horsing around. we forgot to file homeowners grant for property taxes so got notice so did that and went though paperwork and bills. dh doesn't put them out of envelopes or get the extra paper out so I do that. he paid a bunch of bills. so with all the spending lately nope quiet few weeks.

hotdogs or whatever tonight not cooking.. stop at library on the way to work so that will be done. dd stayed up all night so asleep. laundry is done ..did floors sat so by yesterday doesn't look like I did anything. still have to put away all the dry goods too.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Happy birthday Martha. Hope you at least got cake.
Humid and unpleasant outside (of course). 2 prescriptions ready at CVS. They must have called the doctor for a refill because doctor's office called me about it. I have $6.50 ExtraBucks to spend, so will get 2 cases of water. May check the grocery store for mark-downs also.
Hubby checked the roof and saw that the chimney mortar needs attention. He scheduled someone to come look at it next week. I was bugging him because one neighbor had a roofing truck at his house after the big rain Monday and another neighbor has a tarp over part of their roof. He checked the attics easily from inside and did not see anything amiss. I hope everyone is well.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Raining today, which wasn't expected, but it's nice. Have to go pick up a prescription myself, and will do the grocery run while I'm out. Otherwise not a lot going on. Have plans for the weekend though.

Salmon and rice bowl for dinner.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Happy Birthday Martha. Hope it was a good one....of course any birthday is good....

Going run to grocery store and pick up few things....grandson coming at 7 for dinner so think I'll do salmon. I really don't feel like cooking so it will all be easy....bake potato and salad....

Husband mailed big box of extra clothing and shoes I had to a friend. Wasn't too bad $27 by UPS....found a men's shelter close to my house to drop off extra men's shoes I have....slowly getting things cleaned up. neighbor is having her house fixed finally after the fire back in January....getting stuff together for her so she will have something new when she gets in....she was able to save most of her stuff other then her furniture....

Another hot one.....nothing planned for weekend....too hot to do anything...it drains me.....even tho I am in my a/c house...

Been reading in between packing shoeboxes and staying off the net and just have tv on for noise....nothing on anyway...just repeats....

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Did the grocery shopping yesterday, even went to a couple stores to get sales and it was still over $100, well over. Mostly stuck to the list. Bought 4 bottles of diet juice for DH because it was on sale. Got 3lbs of fresh hamburger, the family pack was "only" 3.89/lb. Mayo not only back to regular price, but an additional $ off if I bought 5 items from that manufacturer so I stocked up on items we use. Froze a dozen bagels from a local bakery, they will last a couple of months. Only got 1 carton of milk this week. No frozen goods except ice cream on sale. I had stopped early before lunch to look for meat markdowns -- there were none-- saw the eggs for 1.99 but didn't want to keep them in the car and when I stopped on my way home they were back to 3.69. :( So I got 1 dozen instead of 2. No cat food or paper products this week.

It's warm and hazy with another chance of rain, we'll see how it shapes up. DH and I have been walking in the evenings if it's not too hot out.

Dinner is supposed to be chicken tenders and salad. I might make the beef patty melts since I got the fresh hamburger for that.

Went through a couple boxes last night and have a stack of books to sell at the new book store. They won't pay much, but it'll be out of my house.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Thanks! Yes it was a nice birthday..didn't really want to do much lol too hot so just hung out with friends at festival and we got takeout from pub since the local mexican place was closed that day. We watched the sea beast on netflix. lol dh remembered! well after he left festival dd and him went to dairy queen and got a ice cream log cake. His mom always used to make me a cake every year. She loved cooking and baking.

still stinking hot 90s and humid...so just doing the basics and watering the outside plants. love the a/c lol realized neighbour couldn't be bothered to water his plants in his pots..plenty of people in the house to do it but.. sad for the dead plants. long weekend this weekend so will get the rest of backyard cleaned up and the house..heat supposed go down a bit. now the ivy is gone..2 fence boards need fixing and still to put the pool and the tires for sale. he has 4 days off so will see what gets done and what we do. all depends on the heat lol may just hide out in the a/c and watch tv. or go to movies or something.

after work meeting this morning stopped at asian market for sushi, ramen for kids 3 packs of 5 plus swiss roll, tp and rotissere chicken, chicken is for dinner. sushi my lunch and ds snack later. coconut bread, reg bread. have jello made too so plenty of easy food for dinner. was smokies in the toaster oven outside last night. got milk etc last night so nothing is needed. Rotissere chicken is the same or cheaper then buying whole chicken here.

still have a pile of boxes in the house to get broken down and out of the house. usually puttering and cleaning. get stuff put away. stopped by my mom but she wasn't home so just left the bag and free book set I got her.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Martha- Happy Birthday !!!
Angel- The trampoline sounds like a great idea! Makes me want to work out on something like that!
Peg- We have an AFB here and very low and loud planes here too. I'm sure something is going on....

We had a torrential rain and sure enough, the basement flooded again. I did not replace the flooring from the last flood and it's bubbled again. DH figured out that it's the solar panels- rain is coming off them and bypassing the gutters and just dropping down and into the window wells. The wells can't handle that amount of water and fill up. The window can't handle it and it pours through the window....I'm drying the rug and today, will get plexiglass and slap it over the well.

DS2 has finished his summer classes and waiting for grades. One more year to go.

Me & My sister's birthday is coming up. I asked what she wanted. She said music. I sent her 3 cd's, a shirt from Etsy, some flowers and a gift card. She sent me a wrapped gift and a gift card...I didn't open the gift yet.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Good morning. Picking up reserved books and a DVD at the library today. May stop at grocery store having eggs $1.99/dozen sale. Otherwise just sewing and knitting. It's humid and unpleasant outside of course. Hubby took care of his laundry yesterday, have to see what remains to do. Plenty of other chores waiting.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Not as hot today but hot enough. Had some rain last night, not enough for the garden, just enough to make the roads slick and raise the humidity.

We took two big boxes of books to the shop to sell back, got a pittance and DH spent twice that on new books, but at least they are gone and not in the trash. Going to clean and rearrange some in the basement now that I got 4 whole square feet back. Also laundry, never ends.

Time to work out the menu plan for the week. Starting to get tired of sandwiches and salads, but it's too hot to run the oven or do much cooking. Got a bag of black lentils last week, want to find something DH will enjoy. May get out the mini slow cooker later in the week. Hot dogs for dinner, with a carrot salad.

Time to start getting serious about our Labor Day weekend trip planning. I like to buy and pack snacks ahead of time, because they cost so much more on the highway or in the hotel vending machine, but haven't found my usual markdowns this summer. Maybe I'll look at baking some bars and wrapping them individually. I need something low in sugar, that will not fall apart when unwrapped in the car.

Ruj, sorry about the basement. Hope you had a happy birthday anyway.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
CH- Snacks for a trip- rice krispy bars? Granola bars? nuts & dry fruit?

We went to a hardware store to get a big piece of plexiglass for that window well but no luck. They can't order anything that big. Will try more places.

More high temps with 98 degrees today. DH has been trying to fix the sprinkler when he gets a chance. Trips to home depot has been done but it will take time as each area is a different zone and sprinkler has been broken for years.. The grass is banana yellow. We are on restriction now.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Happy Early Birthday Rujerro! yikes that sucks cleaning up the basement again. still hot here and humid hopefully goes down tomorrow. really not doing much though there are lots of things out there to do.. but step outside and...

we just have been cleaning outside ..ds mowed lawn first time this year but really short. was sprinkler day so up early. we have restrictions every year though rains a lot so not lack of water. rained all june so didn't need too.

I just water all the pots and put the hose down in the shrubs and bushes and let it go for a while to soak the roots. dh put together the clearance patio chairs..he is more on board with getting the kids to do stuff lately. so came home to unhappy dd lol under play house cleared out, patio swept back watered. etc. not anything that takes a lot of time but teens seems takes more time telling them to do stuff then it takes to get done. you guys know the drill lol

dh got the pool and tires up for sale..of course w pool everyone wants it way cheaper and of course wants to come right now but don't follow though. I had a zoom chat and then popped over to my moms for a couple of hours. glad we have a/c she is fine but central ac is better then fans ! both of us got our hair cut yesterday too so that is done.

not sure what we are doing tomorrow ..need to go bowling or or something. puttering cleaning, laundry, ..used free sm pizza bday coupon and we got pizzas last night for dinner. dh bbq'd burgers for them tonight. will pull out some chicken or something to defrost and marinate. I put in a grocery order for delivery tomorrow morning. have spent a lot after cross border trip , asian market, and tomorrow which is mostly fresh stuff milk , dry cat food etc yogurt , lunchmeat, bread, buns, fruit, pet litter, etc all stuff for the week $165 later sigh. did get a stock up bag of rice which is $2 more then last time I bought it.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Have to get out and water, but today it’s only getting to 99. Got to pick up theatre cleaning and then go to the black box theatre. Working on organizing all the costumes. It is a mess. We move the show into the main stage tonight and I have a few fittings to do, but don’t have to stay late. Not sure what dinner will be.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Cooler yesterday so put on long sleeves/pants and weeded yard for 75 minutes. Back to hot & sunny today. Made vanilla instant pudding since box out of date. I'll cook barley to combine w/ pudding. Something from the freezer for supper or I expect hubby will go to the store since he is out of his favorite stuff.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
The cooler weather is gone. Hot again. That's okay for dgd. She's been wanting to swim. It's been a busy, chaotic week. Dh's dad's funeral was Saturday. So glad that is over. Now to the estate.

It will be nice to have things somewhat back to normal. Too much going on to get things done outside while it was cooler. The yard is a jungle. Dh will tackle that this afternoon or this evening.

Dgd will go home this afternoon after she swims. Then hopefully we'll have a quiet week and we can get things done.

Ds told dh he needs to take care of himself. He needs to lose a lot of weight. Tonight, I think I'm going to fix salads. We had a pretty heavy meal yesterday with the family. One of the grandkids invited everyone over yesterday. It's been a long time since we've all gotten together. It was quite loud with all the little kids there. It was good to get together again.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Warming up. Heat advisory already in effect for this afternoon, and thunderstorms expected. Going out to get milk for DH and look for cat food. We have 6 cans left and cat is on a restricted diet, so there are specific things she can eat.

Voting tomorrow and local tensions are high. I will do my part but I don't want to be out any longer than necessary in case someone gets stupid.

Chicken and rice for dinner, with yellow squash and garden tomato.

Jetts, so nice that family came together over the weekend. Kids need more of that.
M, hope you get a good price for the pool and tires.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Good morning. Got a good amount of rain overnight, 11 pm thunderstorm and other showers later. Bean soup w/ ham bone in the crock pot today for me, mainly lunches. Hubby won't eat it so most will be frozen. Maybe quiche for supper. I need to make bread also. Finished library book and will return it next time I go out, there was a wait list for that title. Trying to get back on track with de-cluttering. Still have things from parents' house and enough time has passed that I know what is useful to me and what isn't. I hope everyone is well.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Hot here, with a breeze. Primary election and local issues to be voted on, we will go do that before lunch.

Should have a cucumber and tomato ready in the garden. It's recovering from the high heat we had 2 weeks ago. Might be some peppers ready, too.

BLT sandwiches for dinner, maybe a side salad depending on how hungry we are.

961 - 980 of 1043 Posts