Frugal Village Forums banner
981 - 1000 of 1043 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
It was so hot yesterday. Dh went out in the evening and used the weed eater and then mowed. Both ran out of gas because the it had gotten out of control. Dh wasn't feeling well after. Then a news story popped up on my phone. People who take certain meds are 60-75% more likely to have a heart attack in hot weather. Dh is on all of them. No more working in the heat. He can do a little, but not as much as he did yesterday. He's just going to have to do a little each day until it cools off.

I need to do some laundry, but it heats up the house too much. We no longer have trees to shade the house and running the dryer is too much. I did wash a load yesterday but waited until we went to bed to put it in the dryer. I doubt it dried all the way, so I'll have to run it again. I'll do that with another load today. Then I'm kind of caught up on laundry. I bought some containers last week to organize the girls toys. They are such a mess. Hopefully they only pull one bin at a time out and don't mix everything up. The containers aren't the best. You have to work at it to get them to close. They were cheap, so I shouldn't expect too much.

Not sure what we'll have for dinner. I had salad last night, dh ate leftovers. He said he'd have salad tonight. Maybe I'll cook a box of mac & cheese for me.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Will be in the 90's the next ten days or so.....they say it will storm Friday and Sunday. Will believe it when I see it. We need it! Husband has been watering the yard trying to keep it going....

Saw doctor real quick today and got my shot. Talked to her about my other meds.....thinking I will have to go back to infusions. Will see.....have a small red spot on my leg I've been treating with fungus meds but turns out not to be a fungus. She gave me some cream for it and I will talk to Primary about it next time I see him...

Middle grandson is coming for dinner tonight. I picked up a deli chicken as I don't feel like cooking. Will bake some potatoes and have a salad to go with it. Maybe I'll get energy and make some banana muffins....doubt it...

Picking up a few things from an auction tomorrow. Mostly stickers for the shoeboxes. I think I see the end of the tunnel. I hope so!!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ugh, went to open the watermelon tonight and noticed it had cracked and leaked underneath. Then I stuck the knive in it and it BUBBLED OUT. Cracked it open and it was dark red. Too dark red. Started to take an optimistic test bite, but got a whiff of fermented watermelon. Never mind. 🤢

We were supposed to go to my parents last Thursday, but there were bad storms, so we went Sunday instead. Too long for the watermelon!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Angel- Those heated watermelons do show their ugly side. Hope you can return it for a new one! I like your idea of carnival glass and a colored glass collection.
Peg- I hope the spots go away and quickly. Glad to hear your Grandson came over for dinner. How sweet.
Jetts- I hope your DH is feeling better. I agree that doing just a bit is better than all at once. Maybe when dusk settles in, it would be better to mow?

My birthday was ok. I slept in, went to the gym, picked chokecherries and ran an errand.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Angel- mismatched dishes are fun! We have some boring white corelle, but I can set a whole table with my mismatched stuff! Just did it last week at a friend's house, actually! Years ago I put together an 8-piece china "set" of all mismatched stuff for DD15, we call it her Mad Hatter Tea Set. I have been thinking lately we need to pull that out and have a tea party!

Not much going on here, just trying to plow through the never-ending to-do list. The kitten is still free entertainment. He has free range of the whole house now and has just this evening decided his feather toy is fun, not scary.

I was supposed to start an "intermediate basics" sewing class tonight, but it got cancelled for low enrollment. I am sure it is nothing I can't learn from youtube, I just wanted a bit of hand holding and social time. On the bright side, that's $90 we got refunded. DD15 wants me to make her a plain, long shift to add to her ren fair wardrobe, and I have a bunch of pants I need to shorten, so now I have to convince myself that it's still sewing season even if the class is cancelled...

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Rain and hot today. Dh went out just before dark and raked up the grass from mowing yesterday. We have a riding mower, but the weed eating is tough. He does wait til just before dark. He's mowed in the dark before. We have lights out back and the mower has a headlight. It's just too hot and humid right now. He was only out for 20 minutes last night and he was dripping. I hope to get two of my flower beds cleaned up in the fall. That's if we even have a fall. Seems like we only have summer and winter anymore. So much rain that you can't get out and work when the weather is cooler.

My month is full. Both my parents have two appointments each this month and then mom has a weekly hair appointment and once a month grocery pickup. She does schedule the groceries to be picked up on the way from getting her hair done. I'm glad she listened when I suggested it. Makes it easier for everyone. Yesterday my sister asked if I needed the handicap placard. Yes! That will help so much with 3 of the appointments. She also said dad should really be using a walker and not a cane. His balance is so bad. He can be standing still and almost fall over. Sorry, I'm not going to hurt myself trying to get you up. They have several walkers. I got them a really nice one with a seat. Dad uses it in the kitchen to get their food. He puts the food on the seat and pushes it out. Pretty good idea.

Not sure what we'll do for dinner. Dh asked what we ate with ham last week. We still have some ham to use up. It was mac & cheese. That may be dinner tonight. Yesterday we just ate the leftover salad.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Ok Frugals, help a girl out!!!

Help me convince myself that I can go on a "quick getaway" next week... 450 miles up to Vermont, camp overnight, a quick hike, then home again... Just so that I can say I did SOMETHING this summer (before I go back to work the following week, school starts, and life gets crazy again...)

I've got the trail directions, camping is free, found a couple of cute places for dinner and breakfast, stop-off at the Vermont Country store... AND it's the only New England state I've never been to...

I just need to convince myself that it's ok to spend the money-- we're talking close to $200 for the gas... everything else is cheap and easy...

Bonus-- the only 2 days I can really swing it are the first 2 days of our house being re-sided. I would dearly love to NOT be home for that. It would be like one of those HGTV shows-- drive away and it's ugly, come home and it's pretty...

It's just REALLY hard to spend money on myself... even though it would be SO good for me to get away...

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Zhoen, it sounds like a great overnight trip and a chance to refresh and recharge before all the crazy starts back up again. Wish I could go with you. Have fun, be safe, enjoy the "me time".

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Zhoen - Sounds like a wonderful plan. I'd go. You deserve it.

Cloudy and very humid today. Went to Sam's yesterday. Got dgd her favorite pizza. She likes the digiorno rising crust pepperoni. At Sam's it's like getting one free. That really wore me out. By the time I got everything unloaded and upstairs, I couldn't breathe. Had to sit down for a while. Now I'm thinking I'll do a grocery pickup at walmart. I need dog and cat food and bird seed. Lot's of heavy stuff, so I think I'll let them do that and then go another time for the fresh fruit. Debating on letting them pick my milk. Most of the time, the date is two weeks out, but one time they gave me milk that expired in 2 days.

Taking mom to get her hair done. I do want to go to Sprouts but not sure if I want to do it today. I probably should since next week starts the busyness. Need to pay bills when I get home. Did the dishes this morning. I was just worn out yesterday. After having "C", I get out of breath quickly. Still have a lingering cough. I do what I can. I have a couple of loads of laundry to fold and dh needs his new clothes washed plus all his work outside clothes. I'm sure they are pretty smelly.

I have no idea what we'll eat tonight.

·
Super Moderator
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #991 ·
Zhoen, sounds like a plan! But as a Vermonter, I would substitute a REAL country store for the VCS, which is a tourist trap full of cheap imports at jacked-up prices. Try Dan & Whit's in Norwich or Gillingham's in Woodstock. Don't forget to have a maple creemee!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am trying my third salon since moving nearly 3 years ago. We basically went to one then the pandemic hit, then I ventured out and tried 2 repeatedly to really give them a fair shake. But neither of the two previous have been amazing or consistent so far...hoping I like this one because it is reasonably priced and I need more regular salon visits in my life.

Going to paint my nails before I go...although I should go to the gym first. DD wants a coffee date this afternoon, so will probably do that, too. Feeling very adhd-paralyzed-because-I-have-something-scheduled-later so have a feeling I will be lucky to get my nails painted.

·
Registered
843 Posts
warm here but not blistering like last week!!! I even woke up CHILLY!!! Yay. Except then I decided to not get up. OOPS.
Made thermos-cooked rice this morning to bring to work. I traded my own mustard for a colleague's oregon grape jelly yesterday. I am going to make some oregon grape and coconut milk rice pudding with lunch leftovers. Also brought in some sardines. I have been eating eggs eggs and more eggs! getting tired of it so instead of hitting a restaurant for a BLT (the best sandwich on the planet though the other cafe's grilled PBJ with strawberry J on rye bread is giving it a run for the money) out of boredom. I'm not a giant fan of sardines but they were on sale and they are the low salt kind.

This evening is packing up my mustards for the market tomorrow. Last week I pretty well sold out. Had 3 jars left and traded 1, sold one, and gave one away to just zero out the stock and start some new mixes.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
yes take it easy Jett! I still have problems and it has been a year. maybe if you can get an inhaler to help. Zhoen go!! have a great time. Moms need a break. I went and spent $500 on a weekend fan event in Sept.. lots of people come from all over the world to it. thinking about staying in hotel there too.

nice and cool after all the heat..72f rained last night which is good for all the plants and lawns. a/c hasn't run much at all. our house heats up after sun goes down so we ran it once to cool it off cus got up to 78. same today so far..doors open to cool down the house.

got grocery delivery of all the heavy stuff and items we need for the week monday. pet litter, dry cat food, dairy , buns, bogo hotdogs, tp on sale 12 rolls for 4.99 so got 3 for stocking up plus a bag of rice. store signature brand ice cream on half price so got 2 vanilla. lunchmeat etc. $175 later..did use points for free gallon of milk $5.45 saved. friend was over for the day so we ate out for lunch at fast food place don't get to often. picked up couple of their sandwiches for boys lunch next day. We were out at local stores ..only one place to get short grain pudding rice now which she wanted. so got lentils, choc covered ginger for dh.his request. cheap bouillon cubes, sm pack buttermilk powder. then do another store..my coffee was on sale so got 2 boxes and used the $5 bday credit. picked up some bbq burgers too and buns.

bbq'd for dinner and still have leftovers. got dh to do a bag of smokies from freezer, plus veggie kabobs and potatoes. I had made chicken soup the other day using the rotissere chicken.froze most of the leftover meat. so still that too. heated it up yesterday but ended up having a sandwich for dinner. boys had smokies. so today same thing. will freeze some. since I need to go by other library will go to a store on that way. plans got cancelled for tomorrow night so changed where I am going today. yesterday I dropped off dvds to my mom and gave her a ride to library.

realized we have csa next tuesday and veggie drawer is still full..so more veggies need to be eaten. more bbq zucchini this weekend. We missed season 2 of resident alien before but now showing yesterday and next wed half of each season next night so taped and we watched first 4 last night. dh still needs more coffee and we need creamo soon so will keep an eye out or he needs to go to costco. going to be hot this weekend and we need to make plans to do some summer things. We sold the pool and parts..the reg issues w people not showing up but one guy drove over an hour to get it didn't haggle so dh gave him some off for gas plus nice guy. always housework and a list of to dos that I am not thinking about lol get the top ones done.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Hot and beyond humid today. Had to go out for errands and some groceries. Had car AC running full blast the entire time. Gas is down to 3.54 in some areas.

Sold a box of used books and got a little money. Used coupons and EB at CVS to get 3 bags of snacks for under $1 each. Scored more clearance snacks at the grocery store. So now we are stocked up on snacks for our trip later this month and can avoid vending machines and gas stations.

Maggie, hope the mustard sells well.

Vexed, I understand about finding a good stylist. I haven't had mine cut properly in 3 years. I am so happy to have found my old stylist again. I hope you can find one who does a good job.

Grilled chicken drumsticks and leftover rice for dinner. Should have bought the fried chicken at the grocery store but forgot. May steam some veggies. Whatever is easy. Think it's time to do a corned beef in the crock overnight and slice it for sandwiches, and let DH make patty melts again next week.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Someone coming to look at/estimate $ for chimney mortar repair today. Can't wait. :cautious: Storms last night and good chance of thunderstorms through Wednesday. I see lots of people getting new roofs this summer.
Attorney I know offered some paid work, so that's the plan for the weekend. Finishing up a sewing project and a knit hat today. Leftovers for supper. Safeway has some good coupons ($5 off $5 purchase) so I'll go there soon though it's not my usual store. Have a nice weekend.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Another hot and steamy summer day. Have to run to Aldi for some things that have been on the list for a while. Need to do it before it gets too hot. All the usual housework too.

Dinner tonight is supposed to be fish but I'm not sure we have any. Need to work on next week's menu plan. Spending the afternoon with friends tomorrow, not sure what to take. Don't want to bake or take cookies/cake/dessert things. Trying to eat healthier but last time we took a big greek salad and brought most home. Will see what Aldi has.

Cat turned 15 yesterday. Was kind of sad since we lost her sister 2 months ago. Sometimes I forget she's gone.

Sewing and craft projects to work on this afternoon, and some things to arrange in the basement again. Misc small stuff to do to get ready for our road trip.

Hope everyone's week is going well.

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen
981 - 1000 of 1043 Posts