Frugal Village Forums banner
1121 - 1140 of 1183 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Dlrcpa- Hope the man pays on time. He likes to get paid on time, right?
CH- we had lots of wood from broken trees this year as a storm was bad. It took weeks for everyone to clear it up.
Peg- The dolls sound cute.

Picking peaches from the backyard. So good. Tomatoes still growing. We are getting a cold night tomorrow so the plants will come inside for the night.

I want a greenhouse but a regular size walk-in needs HOA approval. So I ordered a very small one. I'm going to sit it outside with plants and try to figure out how to regulate the temp using a bucket of water inside for humidity and heat. We get tons of snow so we will see how this goes.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
mid 70s here sunny and windy but nice. not too hot! a shock here the Queen passing.. money changes etc. My friend and I were out for breakfast and it came on tv. stopped at thrift store but nothing there and got choc bread at the bakery.

dh is back at work today so no idea when he will be home. ds was home from work early too. and dd friend ..had made dinner early so works out. had hamburger thawed so used a spice pack and made meatloaf, used up potatoes and the corn on the cob for dinner. package gravy. leftovers for tomorrow too.

We went to surplus store ..moving to bigger place which is much needed..so lots of sales. got ds 2 pairs of pants and a shirt, dh a shirt plus a box of fruit bars and choc for 50% off. got my dolly parton cake mix kit yesterday plus some clearance yarn and groceries too. did some work too.

rest of the old cake and some chips to the wildlife. no plans to do much thought could do housework but meah lol just run dishwasher. work tomorrow and see my mom to drop off the fresh tomato from csa..one is huge like a lb on its own. mine are still green and the belguim waffle mix I got her.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Good morning. Going to take a lazy day today after having several appointments this week. Hubby is out working today & tomorrow. Supper will be burritos, maybe make a rice pudding since the oven will be on. Have a nice weekend.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Cool, but turning into a nice warm day, maybe the warmest of the week. Going out shopping, we need a few things like bread and milk, and I have a lot of coupons and gift cards to use this month.

Not going to spend money on mums or a pumpkin this year, even though I could get one free with my hardware store points.... the mums always get mites and die. No one visits so the pumpkin won't get seen or enjoyed. Just seems like a waste to me. Fall color won't be setting in until next month anyway.

Dinner looks like a salmon and rice bowl with avocado and sweet potato, and quick pickles from the garden cucumbers.

Happy Friday.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
CH- I agree. Mums and pumpkins are nice this time of year but maybe other things could be beneficial with those points.
Dlr- Dinner sounds good. My dad used to make rice pudding but I never asked for the recipe. He did alot of the cooking on the grill or oven baked chicken. Mom made more time consuming recipes and baked apple pie and kifli cookies. My sister now sells grandma's recipe cookies.
Martha-That comfort food sounds good. I never made meatloaf before. You got some great deals.

We are having a cold snap starting tonight. Temps in the 40-50's. I brought the plants that I could carry inside. Some will stay out but will probably not last. Some tomatoes will stay out but others came in.

Tomorrow is a homestead day. I'll cook out the chokecherries and make syrup, freeze more peaches, change the soil for the blueberry, add soil to the goji, bring the lemon upstairs to a sunny room...... I may go with DH to visit DS1 to put him on our Costco & Sam's Club membership.

DH will smoke chicken thighs tomorrow. I'll make bbq sandwiches with them and a mexican dish.
DH tried to get an oil change today but the shop cancelled and said someone called out sick...So he got the appt for late next week since they didn't have anything earlier...

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
We are about to get our first cold snap, too. It's cool this morning, 68 when I woke up, and though it's sunny now rain is expected by noon with temps in the 50-60 range. I had a much needed sleep-in this morning, I don't know if we'll get to the yard work before the rain arrives. We need the rain.

No big plans today. I'll probably take it easy, I've been achy lately. There's always something to clean.

Hot dogs and slaw or salad for supper tonight. Maybe fruit for dessert.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Worked in the yard for an hour, filled 1 trash can w/ debris. We expect rain tomorrow so I can de-clutter and fix or clean anything that can be donated. I should start finding indoor homes for the houseplants currently outside. Hubby wants carryout for supper tonight.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
A cold snap sounds good just about now....still in the 90's. We've had quite a bit of rain in the last two weeks but we really needed it....
My friend came last night to pick up her stuff I had. She has to come back as it wouldn't all fit in her car. Think I got her fixed up for the kitchen and bathroom.

We picked up a few auctions. I got a free coloring book with 206 pages.....will take out the pages and send ten or twenty pages in the shoeboxes. Also got my friend some ribbon for free.....she does wreaths and woodworking.

Had half a salad for dinner. Got to start watching what I'm eating. I really don't eat bad but I do love my Naan bread with olive dipping oil. Doctor visit didn't go as well as I wanted. Will have more tests on Tuesday. What happen to "the Golden Years?" Doesn't feel golden but I shouldn't complain as I've outlived most of my friends." Sad but true.

Hope you feel better CH. I get like that and I usually take Tylenol and it usually helps....And I try to keep moving even tho I don't want to!!!!

Got a new fall wreath for the door. I love fall....I love decorating with pumpkins and gourds, the oranges, yellow and greens....love everything about it....of course we don't have fall here but since we will be in NY this year I hope we get to see the colors. I miss that.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.....stay safe and healthy

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
We are having our last gasp of summer heat in the 80s but hiding inside because wildfire smoke...not as bad as earlier today though. Mums have been out for couple of weeks already but too hot for them. I stll have my fall stuff but nope too summerly still thought I bought more halloween decor at dollar store lol

cleaning, puttering, switched towels, put away laundry etc. washed floors. got ds to cut up veggies for veggie kabobs for bbq later. burgers etc. We popped allergy pills. dh had lunch w coworkers one retired. now helping ds w car and driving lessons. he dropped stuff at my moms on his way to lunch.

worked yesterday and did an online order for grocery delivery for monday night. just basics but still adds up fast. Dd will go to hiring fair tomorrow..she is trying. think the resume needs fluffing w the right latest buzz words since you have to apply online so computers only look for certain words. but you know how much kids want to listen to moms at times.

not sure what we are going to do watch our shows tonight..see if kids want to watch a movie.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Remembering 9/11.
Shopped at Safeway and got some bargains. Hubby mentioned laundry detergent and there were 2 huge bottles on clearance. I can always pour into smaller bottles for handy usage. Supper will be pork chops. Rain is supposed to end with 70's and low 80's for a few days. Nothing on the schedule for this week which is nice. Have a good week.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Cool and sunny, another beautiful day outdoors. Have a bunch of small things to do around the house. Having potluck dinner with friends and plan to make aronia berry muffins for dessert. Will use some easter cupcake liners I bought on clearance years ago. May try making a buttercream frosting to go on them.

Already working up another shopping list. DH needs milk again. Have to return some product I bought Friday because I did not get my member discount applied, and it's worth $10, not going to ignore that mistake.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Gloomy and humid with storms this afternoon. Decluttering and shredding some papers, one shelf or drawer at a time. Hubby is doing errands and lunch with a friend. Lots of leftovers for supper the next few days. Try to finish knitting a hat today so it can be put away for charity, also finish and return library book.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Cool and sunny this morning. Have some errands to run. Should be a pretty relaxed day.

Making a meatloaf, with potatoes and a vegetable for dinner.

DH got a piece of plywood from a friend. He's building the laundry room storage and folding table that he didn't want professionally installed two years ago. It'll be right next to the utility sink he didn't want but uses nearly every day now.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The plants went back outside since temps in the mid-80's.

I purchased more chicken thighs and have them in the crockpot with a roasting sauce/carrots/potatoes/chopped onion. We have sourdough bread to slice with it.

I have a Md appt today. I'm going to show the primary care my rheumatoid arthritis in my hands so it can be documented. I don't know anything about RA but my aunts had it.

I was on the Lands End website and they are having a big sale. I ended up getting warm items- base layers top and bottom, sweatshirt and 2 tops. For Christmas, I got a base layer top for DS2 and a sweatshirt for DS2. I've never tried their "serious sweats" line or their base layers but they have great reviews.

I hope to finish freezing peaches, syrup making, laundry, oven self-cleaning and the gym...Lots to do.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Ruj, there is a blood test for RA, ask for it. Get on meds to stop/slow it down ASAP. The less inflammation and damage you have the better things will be in the long run.

The crockpot chicken sounds yummy. We're having mac and cheese unless DH wants to go out.

Nice day here, too. We could use rain though.

·
Registered
881 Posts
We're covered in smoke. We stink. I think there is an inversion holding down on us or something because there are far fewer acres on fire than last year (knocks on wood)
I remembered to fix myself some lunch for today so I should make it a "no spend"
Had a fuel price mishap yesterday! Price was 3.92$ when I hit the gym, so I thought "I'll fill up when I get out"...but that's when the station opens and the manager resets the price. It was back up to 4.09$. Dang. On 11 gallons that was...$1.87. Oh well. It's still 40cents cheaper than the next town over.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Ruj, YES ask to have them do the test. It's important that you get it under control. It's inherited. It's been 20 years and I was using a cane and just days away from a wheelchair....with treatment (it did take time to get the right one) I am still getting around and walking without a cane....get to a good Rheumatologist. It's not the end of the world...nip it in the bud.......Good luck.

The price of wood is out of control. I am glad I'm not building a house now.
Wish we needed warm weather clothing....it's still quite warm here....
Martha hope you dd gets a job...

Had more labs done this morning....you know you go too often when four tech speak to you by name!

Trying to get ready for trip but haven't gotten far. Also trying to get house in order for my friend to stay here. Not getting very far....still have to vacuum....I am thinking of getting one of those robo vacuums....anyone have one and can guide me to the right one???? I have carpet thru out the house and in living room I have a thick full size rug over the carpet. I spilled pizza on the carpet and no matter what I used to clean it, and I used lots of things and scrubbed it over and over, the spot kept coming back so I just got a full size rug. I don't know why but I hate to vacuum....I love how it looks after it's done but I just don't like doing it....

Leftover for dinner I think....
Hope everyone is having a good week.....

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Cleaned another couple of shelves. Nice outside and I was going to work in the yard for an hour but service came and fertilized the trees (liquid) so better to stay out of it. The lawyer sent his payment check. :) I'll deposit that tomorrow. Hubby is out working all day and I am eating leftovers.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Sunny and warmer today. Took mom to get the ultra sound on her arm. I'm hoping everything looks good and she can cancel her appointment with the doctor next week. If so, I'll be able to watch dgd that day. If not, her mom and sis will have to leave after I'm done. Ds has to go into the office next week and his wife and oldest dgd are going to visit nana.

My dental exam/cleaning went well. My dentist is looking so old. Not sure when he'll retire. He doesn't have anyone else in with him. I don't want to look for another dentist. If I do, then I'll probably go to the one ds uses. They've been going there for quite a while now. I don't like change. Dh and I have doctor appointments tomorrow. Hopefully everything looks good. Last time my thyroid numbers were off, so may need to increase meds. Also added cholesterol meds. Hope that doesn't have to go up too. We'll see. Was hoping to lose a little weight before I went, but there's too much stress going on. Things have calmed down, but it's still stressful.

Stopped and picked up some pork chops that were on sale and 6 cans of veggies. I haven't seen 3/$1 in a long time. Going to stop at another store for fruit and yogurt. Then I'll pick up dgd. She wants to come over. We had gotten a Barbie for her and she wanted to leave it here, but then decided she wants to take it home. Her younger sister is being a real punk right now. She says a lot of mean things to everyone. She told dh he was fat. Then wouldn't say sorry. After two hours she finally said sorry. Oldest can come over for a little while this afternoon by herself.

I may make some fried rice tonight, if we don't go anywhere. It is Tuesday.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Jetts, if we'd mouthed off like that as kids we'd be real sorry. There'd be a spanking and possibly mouths washed out with soap.

Today is about as perfect as it gets this time of year and I'm going out to treat myself to a free lunch and then a little shopping. Got points for a small lunch bowl, and rewards and a coupon to use at Kohl's.

Grilled pork chops and either spinach or green beans for dinner.

1121 - 1140 of 1183 Posts