Frugal Village Forums banner
1141 - 1160 of 1184 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Good morning. Weather cooled off. Cleaned out more shelves. More items to donate, scheduled pickup for Monday. I am making progress. I have a chicken to roast either today or tomorrow. Finished eating the rice pudding, going to cook barley and instant vanilla pudding for a no-bake healthier version. I hope everyone is well.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Meds being delivered today...they made it to warehouse about two hours ago so hopefully they get here sometime today. Husband will come home before I have to leave to take gs to work....I don't have to sign for them but I like to be here when they are delivered. I feel better getting them in person and making sure they are still cold.

Will stop and pick up potatoes and carrots to make stew tomorrow....tonight will be chicken tenders....

Won a bunch of books at auction. Will take on vacation with me. I get bored easily.

Jetts, maybe sit your dgd down and explain to her how words can hurt. Best she learn now before she has to go to school where saying something like that to another kid will get her in big trouble. My friend has a son in pre K and he said they sent home a list of things a child can not say....he said his child doesn't even understand half of the words and things on the list. He's like 4!!!! Too much stuff going on in the world.....we were taught not to swear....now every other word out of a kids mouth is a swear word...and parents allow it is what I don't get....if I swore in front of my parents I'd be on the ground before I could finish my sentence.

CH enjoy your free lunch. Maybe you can even sit outside....
Have a good week....

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Thanks BW. Lunch was good, and there's enough left for lunch tomorrow. Kohl's was not so good. I had to really look for something I wanted. The clothing colors and styles this year just do not work for me. Then I found out the coupon isn't good until Saturday, and on top of that the app would not display the Kohl's cash I had. So I'll try again next week.

·
Registered
881 Posts
SMOKEY here still. And my car, which had lost the smoker smell months ago, now again STINKS of smoke! Like cigarette. Worse than being outside. It's like it revived the stank from the dead...zombie stank?

Anyway, clearing a bit and I got to work outside this morning for my actual job...which was "monitoring" or "watching other people work". It was good. I remembered to fix lunch at home this morning before I left so I should be able to swing a "no spend" day again.

Also, the car rolled over 199,000 miles on the way to work. I think it had like 144,000 and change when I got it which I thought was just 18 months ago. I need to check that.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Good morning. Still cool outside so yard project today. Hubby will be around if/when I need help lifting a big concrete block. It is almost buried under dirt & mulch at foot of stairs. Got some bricks and gravel to raise it up higher. Signed contract for chimney repairs, a multi-step process. It will take months, at least that spreads the cost out.

I'll start looking at low-voltage lighting for the back yard so I can take the dogs there at night instead of in front along the street. Too many weirdos around. We have a motion-activated spotlight already but some additional/nicer lights should not be too expensive.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Sounds like some nice improvements Dlr.

It's cool and cloudy here, but not likely to rain. Should be a quiet day at home. I have various projects, plus the usual things that need doing. DH was talking about going out to eat for dinner. We haven't nailed down any specifics.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Getting ready to take Mom for her hair appointment. Debating on getting mine cut. My bangs are at the point of do I keep cutting them or let them grow. It's the awkward stage for my hair. I do need a couple of inches off the length, just don't know what to do with the bangs.

Dh and I went to the doctor. They were running so far behind. Then they couldn't do labs because they had to pull the lab tech to be the one to get you checked in. Had to make an appointment at another location to get labs done. Hopefully dh is okay with the time. It's after work, but the doctor would like us to be fasting. I guess another day of not eating won't hurt us.

The dgd saga continues. I guess the oldest smacked the younger in the face while they were going to bed. The youngest wouldn't go to sleep and kept making noise. After asking her to be quiet, oldest smacked her. Then oldest had to go sleep in the chair in the office. She was telling us she was cold. She didn't have a blanket. She said she found a towel in the room and used it. Ds got a talking to. At least give the girl a blanket and pillow. The recliner is comfortable. It used to be ours and we have slept in it many times. I'm dreading next week, when I have youngest for two days. I guess they were telling oldest she needed thicker skin. Youngest chimes in with "take her back to the doctor and get a new child". The youngest is cute most of the time and says cute things, but she can be a real pain and mean. She's always asking for food. I set up a snack station. When the snacks are gone, no more food. She can ask for a drink or popsicle. Once she's had that, no more.

We'll either have steak and veggies or fried rice for dinner.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Concrete block project completed easier than I expected, only took about an hour. I have more stuff to do outside today. Nice weather and no rain for a week, have to decide about transplanting things because I would have to water if so. Telephone call with the chimney contractor this afternoon. Leftovers for supper. Reserved library book became available and I started knitting a hat, probably for myself. Have a good weekend.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Cool and sunny this morning with a nice breeze. Looks like rain later, maybe. We could use it. Got to put gas in the car before I go out, it was 3.39 yesterday.

Quilt show today and I may stop a few places while I am out.

Not sure about dinner, we have options: chicken, fish, brats.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Another nice day. Going to the store for a few things. Don't need much. Quiet night, last night. Kind of watched football. It was on while we did other things. Got the kitchen cleaned up last night. Still a load of laundry to do. Maybe 2.

Getting blood drawn this afternoon . Not sure if dgds are coming over. We can pick up the oldest on the way home. Not sure I want to deal with both of them tonight. Maybe a quiet weekend for us instead. If the girls don't come swim this weekend, we will start winterizing the pool.

Almost adopted another puppy. Someone on nextdoor had one she needed to rehome. Her dog had passed away and she got another one too soon and wasn't ready for all the puppy energy. It's the same breed we already have. They have someone lined up but we will still consider if that falls through. Dh is conflicted over his parents dog. She's 13, has kidney failure, among other things. It's hard to let one go. We don't want her to suffer and she's such a sweet little thing and doesn't complain too much. She pretty much sleeps all day. Goes outside once or twice. It's hard.

Not sure what we'll do for dinner. We'll be out getting blood drawn, and dh will be starving, so we'll probably just stop and get something on the way home.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Jetts- Having pets can be so bittersweet. It's so tough when they are not well. DH and the kids are allergic to animals so we can't have any. I pet them when I see them and if family isn't around........

CH- I love quilts. How was the show? Gas near me is $3.92 but very low at $3.25 at Costco.

Dlrcpa- I'm glad your project only took an hour. Sometimes they can be many hours in the making.

I have been picking the last few peaches from the tree if ripe and drying herbs. I'll do more of that this weekend. I need to replant a blueberry sprout and take out the marigolds in the planter. Carrots will replace the marigolds. I'm waiting for the mini greenhouse to use in the winter.

I called the county to get deeds to our properties since they're paid. I was told everything is electronic and I said I was old-fashioned and when people paid off their property, a deed would be mailed automatically. I paid $2.25 each and they mailed me the electronic copy.

I have hand x-rays on Monday and RA labs on Tuesday. Once those come back, the PCP will send me to a rheumatologist. Today is a good day but the last two were painful. Even at work, I kept dropping cases of product but I let them go since my grip isn't great. DH says to put aspercreme on and see if it helps. I wonder if I should be checked for osteoporosis again since I had it in 2019......I'll discuss with doc. I had hyperparathyroidism, which caused osteoporosis, and had surgery in 2019.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Another reserved library book came available, that always seems to happen. Wait, wait, wait, then deluge. Thawing ground turkey for supper, also have a lot of carrots on hand. Donation pickup on Monday and I am short of boxes, repacking to fit if possible. Try to convince hubby to recycle some empty equipment boxes. 😖 Worked an hour in the yard and transplanted liriope to an area that gets a lot of runoff and won't hold any mulch in place. Will have to water a few times until it rains again. Also cleared plants next to the garage foundation. Termite people are coming Monday to check the stations. Hope everyone's weekend is going well.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Dlr: I am having the same library issue with recalls. Got 4 in a week!

Went to the "u-pick" blueberry farm today. Got 7lbs in 2 hours @4$/lb.All but a pint are stored in vinegar for winter use. Good to have some berries in since the wild berries just we not a thing this year.

Went thru my pantry stash and made a list of stock ups to start working on....but forgot to check the TP! A to get the emergency roll out of my pickup! Oops. I guess I pick up a couple big packs of that ASAP.

Actually remembered to harvest some herbs and those are drying. I usually forget.

And I am really working on packing a lunch and stock the office food stash. my grocery budget is tight so working cutting waste.

I

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Repacked donation boxes - got 5 boxes and 1 bag for pickup tomorrow, yay me.
Decided not to work in the yard today since I spent time walking around the house collecting more things to donate. Just spend a quiet afternoon with books and knitting. Hubby is making rice with shrimp for supper. There will be lots of leftovers for the week. Lovely weather continues, so nice except for the mosquitoes.....

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Dlr, that's a good amount of donations.

Sunny and warm today. Yesterday was 90, I expect the same today. DH got more debris off the drive yesterday, which was nice, and he watered some bushes which really needed it. Everything is still green here, but very dry.

Today I need to get a menu plan figured out, and a shopping list. Not sure what dinner is yet. Yesterday was leftovers, and we may finish those for lunch. I'll start with what is in the freezer.

Got accidently double charged at the quilt show yesterday. They weren't sure their card reader was working. So I'll have to make a call tomorrow, or more likely on Tuesday, to get it reversed.

Maggie, the berries sound tasty, what do you do with them in vinegar?

Ruj, hope you get some relief for the pain soon. Sorry about the osteo. Got to stay strong and healthy so you don't get hurt. I just had a bone density test a couple months back.

Quilt guild luncheon tomorrow. We'll have projects to work on then everyone has a brown bag lunch. It used to be a potluck, but not since COVID. I'm going to make cupcakes to share anyway. I have so many berries in the freezer to use up. Not sure what to make for lunch, I usually don't feel very hungry at those events, and of course, don't want anything messy. There's one microwave for ~50 people, so it'd be best if it was a cold lunch.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Spray painted a iron-type plant stand with Rustoleum. Hubby bought "glossy" finish which was probably not best choice, it was flat black before. Well, it will look better than "rusty" black. The Chinese evergreen cuttings never grew roots in a glass of water. Will stick them in potting soil as last resort, which was successful a year ago and that one is quite healthy. Nothing to lose.
Looking at landscape lighting videos to understand the options, pro and con. Hubby wants me to try some solar lights. I will probably order 2 just to try since not expensive. But I'm not hopeful, it's shady in the back. Also I would like a remote control or timer which you can get with low-voltage sets but not solar.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
yikes Rujerro dh old car is like that (now the kids) was a smokers and you can smell it when it sits. I think when anything gets into a car just says unless gutted. I remember my dad coworker had a cow and would give him milk in gallon jars..once it spilled in the car..always smelled when hot. I hope they can help with your pain.

watching the Canadian service after the Queens funeral. Dh gets a day paid off but I don't. Why do people think Leonard Cohan song Hallelujah is a funeral song in my opinion it isnt. Lovely song but ...

beautiful fall weather ..getting chilly.. will have a lot of green tomatoes I think..have to think of what do with them. went to the wedding, ds birthday so busy weekend. chinese food leftovers, ham etc still so no cooking. always a long list of course of can do's lol but except some laundry dishwasher etc nope. will see what we do for rest of day.

yesterday did some garden trimming and the mutant trees that have gone into neighbours too so got them. dh is why I said will effect our yard. I did a bit but the boys did more cus hatchet and saw needed. She is a disabled senior so can't garden though she would love too.

my moms scan is clear so that is good news. did my swaps for the csa for what I want and don't want. don't need more squash because still have a lot so someone else can have it. getting spaghetti squash instead. mom gave me some wet meow mix food that her cat doesn't like ..said why did you buy it cus on clearance. nope cats even outside doesn't like it so off to the food bank for pets.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
M, good news about your mom. One less thing to worry about.

You can make pickle relish with green tomatoes, tastes just like cucumber relish. If they are partially ripe, keep them in a cool place indoors, and check them every day, they will eventually turn red.

Hot here, 97 and rising. Will put some burgers on for supper later.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Good morning, going to be another hot one. Not even 10am and already in the 80's. Got to call and have a credit card charge reversed, was accidentally billed twice. Won't be a big deal if it can get fixed over the phone. Various things need done around the house, as usual. Hoping for a cold front tonight or early tomorrow to bring us fall weather.

Baked cod and potatoes planned for dinner. Probably do foil packets over the fire.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Picked up Target pantry order including some batteries for flashlight that uses weird ones. Need to water the things I transplanted in the yard a few days ago, it has turned warm & humid again. Probably 2nd coat of spray paint on the plant stand. Nothing else is urgent. Have a good day.

1141 - 1160 of 1184 Posts