Frugal Village Forums banner
1161 - 1180 of 1184 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Yes, another hot one. I think tomorrow is the last one. Today will be upper 90's and in a couple of days the high will be in the 60's. I'm ready for cooler weather. We have a lot to do outside to finish getting the pool ready for winter. We worked on it for a little bit Saturday, but it was just too hot. Did a little work on the deck until I was asked to help with the pool. It takes at least two people to get the cover on it.

Tomorrow I get to take Mom to the doctor and then youngest dgd comes to stay for a couple of days. I can't take mom to get her hair done and she told me she would just skip. Now she's asked my sister to take her. I gave her a heads up on that. Like my sister said, she's just going to gossip.

Dh and I got our blood tests done. His A1C was high and needs to double his meds. He's going to watch his diet and only double one time a day to see if that helps. He really doesn't want to increase it. Mine was top of the range, so I need to watch mine too. My cholesterol was better, but my red blood count was low. I have ulcerative colitis and that can cause it. Just need to go back in 6 months. The girl checking us in the room sent the wrong prescription and I won't have enough for 6 months. It says last refill until next appointment. I'm sure he'll send a new one when I need it.

Going to go to the store today. One store has several items for $0.19. Of course a small limit, but I may do two orders. One for me and one for "mom".

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Good morning. Got good news on the chimney repair yesterday, home insurance will pay a good portion of the cost. Hubby is dealing with the claim. So hopefully they can start work while the weather is decent in the fall. In addition to the interior flue damage there is cracking in the external masonry mortar that needs replacing to keep water out, and really want that done before winter.
Finished spray painting the plant stand, it turned out well. Now I want to spray paint something else, ha ha.
Need to nag hubby about some projects he has half-done, try to get them finished. His parts of the house are such a mess but he gets mad when I poke around in his stuff. He does not see the benefit of keeping things cleaned out and organized. For example, "derelict car" neighbor is a bit older than us but has not kept up the house inside (presumably) or out. There is moss on the roof and saplings in the gutter, back yard weeds knee-high and 2 junk cars and a trailer in the driveway because 3-car garage is full of junk. Wife is in nursing home right now and has been ill for several years. The inside of the house must be frightful. Says he wants to move out of state to be nearer the only child, but I don't see how they could sell the house without paying someone huge sum of money to clean and repair it all. Maybe that's his plan. I feel sorry for his kid. I already went through that scenario, so aggravating.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Warm and sunny today. Cold front has moved in north of us, should shift sometime this afternoon and bring us fall weather. Cat has a vet appt, check-up and shots. Would like to stop for groceries if it is not too hot to leave her in the car.

Dlr, we're trying to not be like your neighbor, but it gets harder every year to keep up with it. I had grand plans for landscaping when we moved in here, but I can barely keep up with plants in pots now.

After years of nagging, DH is starting to see the benefits of cleaning up his crap. He can't find anything. He has no space to work on projects he wants to do. He spends his energy looking for stuff instead of doing things he wants.

Grilled chicken drumsticks for dinner, whatever veg or salad I can round up. Hope everyone is having a good week,

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I will say hubby is good in a pinch or emergency. He falls down on the routine ongoing stuff. For example he has dealt with the contractors and insurance people on the chimney, but that's a special project. The jets for the whirlpool tub (that he insisted we install 20 years ago and have used maybe 5 times since) have been disassembled for probably 4-6 months now, I don't know what the snag is but it's bugging me. He knows how to do basic plumbing and electricity and unfortunately I don't. I am good at manual simple labor like digging, moving stuff and cleaning, attention to detail and remembering where stuff is, but I don't mess with power tools.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Was sunny this morning, but cloudy now. May get some rain tonight. Much cooler temps for the next couple of days. Took Mom to the doctor this morning. He finally came in an hour after appointment time. Didn't have good news. The blood isn't flowing through one end of the fistula like it should. Surgery next week to fix it. Then if that doesn't work, they'll have to do a new fistula in the other arm. I think she's just so old (86) and her circulation is getting bad, she can only have 32 oz to drink/day because of the dialysis. I'm not sure she'll do another surgery if this doesn't work. If it were me, I'd be done. She's lived a good life. Just not sure when she'll decide when she's had enough. I feel bad for her. She was getting agitated while we were waiting for the nurse to schedule the surgery and then to come in to remove the piece of stitch that was still there. Not sure what's in her head right now. I'll talk to my sister later after she gets back from dialysis to see if mom said anything else.

Youngest dgd is here. I felt bad because I knew they were trying to get on the road and we were running so late. Called them on the way home and told them I was on my way and was going to stop and get some lunch. Luckily they didn't have to be there at a certain time. Youngest dgd is very pleasant today. Usually she's a little brat. I think it's just when the two of them are together. I think we'll have a good couple of days.

Dumpster was delivered next door. We may throw a few things in there while it's there. Always cleaning out. I just wish I could get ds' junk out of here. I may take an extra carry on and put one tub of junk in it and each time I visit I'll take a tub with me. Thought about checking a bag, then I could probably get a couple of tubs done. I know we could probably just dump most of it, but as soon as we do, then there would be something he was looking for. It's mostly old clothes he hasn't worn in 6+ years.

Doctor called dh today and told him to eat all of his carbs before and at lunch. No carbs or sugar in the evening. Dinner tonight will probably be some kind of meat and salad or veggies.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Dlr, mine is usually good about the stuff that HAS to be fixed, but he has his share of things he's taken apart and not put back together again.

And today he spent over an hour looking for the folding luggage cart he insisted we didn't need 3 years ago, because he's got to move stuff in and out of the car this weekend.

IMO, a food processor and a sewing machine are both power tools. Most things, like a Dremel or an electric drill are pretty easy to use.

Wind is getting strong, storms moving north of us, but no rain expected here. Temp has dropped 10* since noon and is probably going to drop another 10 before midnight.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Yesterday spent time cleaning up my white leather dog walking sneakers. Now they look good from a little distance at least. Pretty sure I can get through the winter with them and boots as needed. I have a yellow reflective vest also for dog walking. Will figure out how to add pocket/s because of course none provided. I have been wearing a white jacket to walk when it's dark but too hot sometimes. 2 solar yard lights should arrive today, want to see how they work in the back.

Opened free queso soft cheese, will figure out something for supper to start using it up. Looking for recipes and they all started coming up in Spanish? Not helpful. o_O

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Sunny/cloudy today and much cooler. Had a little rain last night. Youngest dgd spent the night and is still here now. She's so different by herself. Not sure if she's spending the night tonight or going home.

Thought about my mom a lot last night. I complain about taking her to all of these appointments, but forget she's the one having the surgery, dealing with pain and dialysis 3 days a week. I guess it's starting to hit that she may not be around much longer. We've never been very close. I've seen her more in the past 3 months than in the past 5 years. My dad is another story. The guy sleeps all day and when you wake him, he gets mad and screams at you, or he's totally out of it and has no idea what's going on. It gets frustrating dealing with them, but they are the ones that are no longer independent and have to depend on us to do things for them. They can no longer run to the store when they feel like it. They don't get to see friends, not that there are many left.

Dh said he wants salad for dinner. Not sure what I feel like.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
[hugs] Jetts, it's a lot to deal with.

Cloudy and cool today, but also very humid. I went out early to run errands. Had a voucher for lunch at the sushi place. Used my Kohl's coupons and got myself a nice jar candle. Forgot to get cat food so I had to stop and pick that up, too.

Friends coming in to town for the weekend, so I have to do a little more house cleaning than usual.

Going to get some smoked pulled pork out of the freezer to make sandwiches for dinner. Baked sweet potatoes on the side.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Jetts your dad probably is taking his anger out on everyone...please don't take it personal......like you said, they are no longer independent....they can't do what they us to do....just not being able to drive would be tough. It's tough getting old.... I know sometimes when I'm not feeling well, I snap at my husband for no reason....I'm just mad because I don't feel well....they are blessed to have you close by...hang in there.....
Today was 100....isn't today the first day of fall???
Got to take grandson to work in morning. Hope I feel better then I did this morning. I have done nothing today or yesterday as I woke up feeling crappy....I hate days like that....I do a little and sit down...do a little...sit down...take a nap...do a little...and in the end nothing is completely done....
Nothing planned for weekend.....got to get going and get house in order for neighbor to stay while we are gone.
The weeks seem to be flying by....hope they don't fly by while on vacation....
CH have fun with your company.
dlr my husband use to do most of things around the house that needed done....he replaced all the pipes few years ago and we have quite a contraction in our garage which everyone is amazed at....he has the house wired inside and out with camera and alarms....if he dies before me, I will be in deep trouble....I still have trouble setting the night alarm sometimes.....but he is getting up there and now we hire any work that needs done....he finally admitted he is feeling his age....
Hope everyone has a great weekend....stay safe....

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
It turned chilly, high today in the 60's. There is intermittent breeze which makes it feel colder. More branches fell into the yard, need to get the tree service here to cut down dead wood before something really big falls.
Attended a meeting of the community safety team last evening and got a "gift" which turned out to be a Peace Corps volunteer kit. Apparently a bunch of surplus ones were donated to the county. Contained a bunch of first-aid type items, and things like dental floss and sunscreen. Also condoms. o_O Anyway 99% useful so a happy surprise.
Found that "queso" is just Spanish for "cheese". I thought it meant a specific type like "Cheddar". Probably make quiche but I need to get a few things at the store.
Peg I do not mind hiring jobs out. It bugs me when he buys parts or starts something but never finishes, just leaves the stuff lying around. Bought rope to cut down a tree but rope just sits in the garage. Tub parts lying around on the tub. Etc.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
dlr I get you....my husband is super picky so that isn't the problem here....he has a lot of "stuff" but it's all neat....he got a surprise when he married me....lol...I like it neat too but sometimes it just doesn't happen....I might take three days to do a project or it might be a week....so it would be me, with the tub lying around with half finished stuff.....hang in there...
60's sound good to me....it's going to be warm all weekend....thank goodness for a/c....

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
57 again this morning, had sprinkles of rain over night, but we need a good soaking. Saw in the news we are down over 6" of rain in the last month. Looks like it may be cloudy most of the day.

Dlr there are different types of "queso" but if you look it up you can usually figure out what it is good for. Queso quesadilla is obvious. Queso fresca is a mild soft cheese that crumbles over salad and tacos. Cotija is firmer and salty and is good on top of food and also used as filling for empanadas or enchiladas, and it's what I use for cheese bread. Also you can freeze it for months. A lot of recipes seem to use half a package, so I put the rest in a bag for later.

Most likely have dinner out, as we have to go over to the school this evening and check in with the event coordinator for the craft fair tomorrow. They put us in a different space this year and I want to see what we've got.

Woke up sore this morning, so I should take it easy, but too much to do for tomorrow. Should figure out the menu plan for next week, I'm in the mood for baking and soups.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Rainy and "cold". Upper 50's today. A few days ago I think we set a record high. I don't think 100, but close. Took dgd home. She was ready. She missed her daddy, but was excited that she got to stay two nights. She was really good. I was dreading it so much, but turned out that I just can't have both of them here. One at a time for now. I also set up a snack station. She can have whatever is in there and when it's gone, she's done. She was always asking for something to eat. It was so tiring getting stuff for her. This works great.

Went to get a few groceries. Stopped at a walmart market. The peanut butter and jelly aisle was looking a little bare. Grabbed a couple jars of peanut butter and one jam. Not the jam we prefer, but it will do. I need to look for a low sugar version. I know they sell pectin for a low sugar recipe. I'd like it to have even less sugar. Dog food aisle is looking a little bare too. Did stock up on some canned cat food. My inside cat has quite a bit. It's the outdoor cats we feed that go through it fast. The soda aisle isn't as full and the selection is nothing but the main coke, pepsi, sprite, dr. pepper etc. No variety of flavors, only a&w rootbeer. I think I read that there was a shortage of cans again. I guess they need it for all the beer. It is football season. :rolleyes: Need to cut out the soda anyway. Stopped at a different Aldi and it was pretty well stocked. Not my favorite Aldi, but it would do. Their produce looked better.

Going to dinner with dh's cousin and his wife. Sushi! Dh was told of another Chinese restaurant that is supposed to be really good. I think it's carry out only, which we prefer. We're going to give that a try this weekend too. Dh is on a Chinese food kick. He's been watching youtube videos trying to learn to make his own. Need to make a trip to the city market sometime besides Saturday, to get some supplies. The parking is horrible and Saturday it's even worse.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Jetts- I'm glad you had a nice time with DGD. Sushi sounds good and I hope it was a nice time.
CH- I had no idea wht those cheeses were used for. I would see them at the market and always wondered. Thanks for the info!
Dlr- We have projects here as well...Clean up the yard, get rid of the grease stains on the driveway and porch and a bunch more. He is too tired to do them and doesn't want to take time from work either.....

Weather is cool now and in the 40's at night. I pulled most plants indoors to try to keep them growing tomatoes as they have blooms and small green tomatoes. Not sure how long I can keep it going.

We're getting the 135 lbs of beef today. Oh, I hope we have room. I asked DS1 if he wanted any and he isn't sure. I rearranged the freezers and we thawed some items for dinner this week but from what I can tell, we need 6' x 6' of room..

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Ruj - hope you figure out where to put all the beef.
Derelict car neighbor has bought himself a 3rd car. Since his 3-car garage is full of junk and his driveway is full w/ 2 derelict cars and a boat trailer, he has it parked cross-ways in front of all that.
I set up the 2 solar yard lights but there isn't even 3 hours of sun in any given spot so pretty sure they will be useless. Discarded 2 of the outdoor plants and just kept the pots, still need to find homes for 3 plants.
Have to make baked beans and a cake for dog club picnic tomorrow. We're having dinner out with BIL and SIL tonight.
I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Dog club picnic today, the weather is not real promising. I have food bags if we have to grab BBQ and run home due to rain. My baked beans did not turn out great so I hope other people eat them and I don't have a lot of leftovers. I need to write the recipe out on a card instead of messing w/ the cookbook and halve the recipe.
Placed PetSmart order yesterday morning to use $10 off coupon, got the notice it was ready AFTER the 9 PM closing time. May be able to get it this evening or else tomorrow. Will try the solar backyard lights tonight, they were supposed to charge for several days but it has been cloudy so not hopeful. Toured sis-in-law's yard after dinner, she has low-voltage lights in the back, I think they would work the best. Have a good day.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Sunny and cool today. We are taking it easy, but also trying to get some things cleaned up around the house. Probably leftover fajitas for dinner, will make some rice or beans to go with them.

DH has to go in to the office this week, he is not looking forward to returning to the daily commute. I have to go get blood drawn. Will get groceries the same afternoon.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Good morning. Need to water in the yard since no rain yesterday and nothing forecast during the week. I'll try to do a bit of yard work each day. Brought home leftovers from the picnic, I don't plan to cook tonight. I hope everyone is well.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Cool but sunny here. Quiet morning. Stuff to do around the house, and list making for tomorrow. Lab appt in the morning then grocery shopping after. Something in veg drawer starting to smell, need to find it.

Considering naan pizza for dinner tonight. Have leftover salami from sandwiches over the weekend. Would just need to put toppings on and broil.

Hope everyone gets off to a good start this week.

1161 - 1180 of 1184 Posts