Frugal Village Forums banner
1381 - 1400 of 1439 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
So cold this morning, but the sun is shining. Took dh to the walk in clinic. Negative for covid and the flu. Negative strep. They couldn't test for RSV, so we're thinking that's what it is. She told us it runs about 7 to 10 days. Dh felt a lot better this morning and went to work. He rarely interacts with anyone in the building. He stays in the office most of the time. He had a few things that he needed to do before the weekend. Dgds won't be spending the night. We don't want them to get sick. It will be nice to have a quiet weekend. We'll be able to get a few things done around here.

Going to Sam's to get kitty litter and some immune vitamins. I'm almost out of those. As soon as I got back from out trip, I started taking them. So far, I'm staying well. May stop at Target for a few things. I'd like to go to Dollar Tree and see if they have anything new for the girls to do and stocking stuffers. I give them little things between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I call them HO HO HOs. When they hear me say it, they know they get a surprise. Sometimes it's candy, sometimes a little toy. I did it for my boys when they were little. Even when they were teenagers.

May put up a few outdoor decorations for the girls this year. It will be warmer the beginning of next week, so we may do it. Haven't done much the past few years. Too cold, sick, etc. Trying to decided if I want to put the big tree up or just the small. My big tree is barely 6 ft and small. Just a cheap one from walmart. It's the perfect size for my house. I think it might fit behind my chair. If not, I'll have to figure something out. Could put the 4ft up on the shelf dgd uses for her doggy vet. We'll see how I feel next weekend. Don't know if ds will come home for Christmas. It's hard with his animals. I think he now knows why we don't ever go anywhere. I just wish he wasn't alone.

Need to deep clean the kitchen. I finally got all the cat's self feeders cleaned and ready to put away. Dishes have pile up from cleaning out the fridge. Just haven't been motivated to follow thru with the cleaning.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Good morning. Dropped hubby at the airport early, it was already busy. I got a free pumpkin yesterday and cleaned and cubed it for cooking, a fresh pie will be nice. Since sweet potatoes are so cheap I will buy extra (dozen) and figure out how to store them. Fridge is rather empty, today would be a good day to clean out.
Finished scrubbing the grout and my shoulders are letting me know they need a break, taking the weekend off. I ordered grout sealer and some sponge brushes from Amazon. Stay warm.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Cold and breezy this morning, but sunny. Got up an hour early because I thought we had a lunch date with friends, no it's dinner. Ugh, well, I won't be rushing trying to get ready. I guess I can whip up something for lunch at home.

Dlr, hope you get some good sweet potatoes. The ones I bought earlier this month were spotty within a week. I bought a few this week, I hope they hold up longer than that. Didn't dare buy a whole bag of them. But I suppose yours only have to last until Thursday. :)

Jetts, hope your DH is better soon and all the little ones stay healthy through the holidays. Sick cranky kids are no fun. Have a good shopping trip. I was out a couple times this week and there are already lines, and not enough cashiers anywhere.

Reactions: ressa and marthamfi

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Jetts- Hope your DH is feeling better.
CH- Hope the dinner party is fun.

Pie pumpkins are 99 cents each so I got 3. Will cook and make pies. The last time I did this, I felt buying canned pumpkin was easier but with prices so high, I'm cooking them.

Went to bank but it's closed on saturdays now.

Quite cold and had snow/ice for 2 days.

DS2's birthday gift was supposed to be here yesterday from walmart. Nope. Then got a email saying its coming on monday. Now says it may come today or monday. DS2 was asking about it yesterday.....

I'd love to clean up the yard today but doubt it. Once snow hits, nothing gets done. I knew this and cut bushes weeks ago but didn't trim the chokecherry much or peach tree at all.

Not sure what's for dinner. Soup sounds good. I've got crackers and cornbread mix.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Cold and raining all day....in the 40's but feels colder...Glad we got the shoeboxes loaded and delivered last week and had party last week......would have been a different story if we were doing it today and tomorrow.....

I won a bunch of matchbox cars at an auction and they were having problems so it took two hours to check out...I must admit my husband was cool and calm.....now, I have to take all the packing off....that will take me a couple of hours....three totes of cars....

Ran and picked up my scripts....surprise they went thru with insurance as it wasn't time but I'm not complaining....I like keeping ahead of meds.

Made 15 bean soup with the ham bone I had from last week....husband doesn't like it so I put in individual servings and will freeze and give some to the oldest grandson....he eats anything....

Glad I'm not in western NY.....did you see they got 77 inches of snow!!!! Too darn much for me and too cold.....
Hope everyone has a great weekend and a Happy Thanksgiving...
Stay healthy and stay safe....

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Good morning. Cold and windy today. Ran to the store and got 15 large sweet potatoes for $3.52 (25 cents/lb + tax). Figuring where to store, maybe laundry room which stays colder than the kitchen, or the garage. More work to do on the sewing project and picked up library reserve book yesterday. Ate leftovers yesterday, more today.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
a store here has sweet potatoes/yams 2.99 a lb wonder why they don't sell lol frosty here but sunny. 40s. cus of weird fall allergies still going nuts here. suppose to rain next week so hopefully helps. I know !! all that snow yikes! world stops here when we get a inch or more lol except when in mountains for ski hills.

friend came and got the box of stuff for his kids so that is out of the house. will get dh and ds to go take the rest to thrift store. driving practice. picked up the auction stuff garden decor.. some things looked bigger in the pic like the concrete swans..thought more lifesize but nope only a foot but still fit on the old laundry sink stands outside. some stuff I just put going to thrift store. have to take all in the auction.

of course housework, kids etc. leaves to rake. dh getting over his cold. birds are hungry so need to get birdseed ..suet seed block not enough w frost on the ground. did do amazon order for laundry hamper for ds..wants standup one.. really needs to go though his clothes a mountain of them since they don't seem to make it back in the drawers.

have zoom chat, dd going out w friend so all busy this afternoon so peaceful. have year end project still to finish so focus of the week. got takeout from the pub for dinner last night tonight not sure.. something easy maybe take out taco meat.

just reminded dh to repost the tires we are trying to get rid of.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Cool, sunny and breezy today. Starting to warm back to normal temps. 40's today and tomorrow, then 50, and 60 later in the week.

Dlr, I keep potatoes and onions in my garage in the winter, it stays a steady 50F in there. Depending on what is in your laundry room, it could get warmer or humid.

I think only a few areas near the lake got that much snow, but when I was a kid getting several feet overnight was normal. BIL up there says they only got a few inches.

Made breakfast tacos, used up a few things. Got leftover pot roast for dinner. Leftover vegs from last night, too.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Good morning. Cold but not windy today, should get an hour or two of leaf raking done. Hubby flying home this afternoon. Probably just make spaghetti and meatballs for supper. Dog club tonight, photos with Santa. Started a sewing project to alter some pants, should be finished today or tomorrow.

CH - garage would be good but I worry about mice because they have been in there in past years. Right now I have 9 stored in the laundry room closet which is cooler, in a cardboard box w/ newspapers. If they start spoiling I will cook and mash them for the freezer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It was so cold this past weekend that we could not procrastinate anymore so we got the plastic on the windows up.
Foster pup started with diarrhea this morning so now I’m dealing with that. No good deed goes unpunished. Stopped at Meijer this morning to pick up a few sale items and picked up a box of Christmas cards. I had stopped doing them for a few years but started back last year. Having fish for dinner. We started a couple of years ago having fish twice a week so it saves me from thinking about Monday and Fridays dinners.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
It was a fairly nice day today. Dh finally heard back from the doctor. He tested positive for group g strep. It's not a common form of strep. Not sure how he got it. Got antibiotics last night. There are times he feels better and times he feels worse. Hope it clears up quickly. So far I'm staying well. My nose is feeling funny, but when I was in the drive thru getting chicken, there were at least 2 people outside smoking in the parking lot. That will do it. Came home and immediately got some mentholatum under my nose. Been taking my vitamins and sleeping as much as I can. Dh has been off work most of the past week. He went in Friday, but started feeling so bad, he had to take a nap. He didn't think he could drive home. He just left to look at a problem at the building.

I splurged this year a bought an electric fireplace. I've wanted one for years. We aren't in a position to move and get a real fireplace, so this will do. It has some small shelves on the sides, we left the doors off, and will be fun to decorate. We put it together last night while watching football. Dh took several breaks while putting it together. Tomorrow, we may put up some outside stuff on the deck. Youngest dgd really has never seen the outside decor. She was too young the last time we did it.

Went to the store to get a few things. Eggs and milk are almost gone. Fruit looks horrible. Still need to Christmas shop for the girls. They can't seem to get us a list this year. I don't want to duplicate what her parents get. Dgd will tell us both the same things.

Dh had chicken for dinner and I had whataburger. I like the Jr. burger best. Love the fried apple pies.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Good morning. Picking up hubby at the airport wasted much of the afternoon. Traffic was crawling and plane was late. Waiting at home in the mail for him was a traffic ticket for failing to stop for a school bus. Buses now have cameras and take pictures including the license plates. He said he didn't remember any school buses. :eek: Now the school buses remember for you. He also has a sore throat this morning. He tested negative for COVID but we'll see what develops.
Must rake leaves today, high in the 50's and yard waste pickup is tomorrow. Hubby is going to the grocery store for his preferred foods. I suggested shrimp stir-fry for supper. Have a good day.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Sunny and warming up here, supposed to be in the 50s. Going to go over my ingredients for things I need to prep tomorrow. And make space in the fridge. Stopped to pick up a couple things yesterday. Had to ask about the eggs but got them for 1.99 at the organic store. Jetts, our local grocery was low on dairy, too. Out of heavy cream, and only had large size half-n-half. However I got the bacon that was on sale and out of stock last week. Hoping I can avoid going out for the next 4 days.

Dlr, Our busses got cameras recently, too. Hope the ticket wasn't too expensive, and he's feeling better soon. So much stuff going around right now.

Jetts, the fireplace sounds nice. Does it heat or is it for show only? Wish we had one, I think we are the only house on the street without. I could get rid of these tree branches so much faster. But then, living room is small enough as it is.

Rabbit, glad you got your windows sealed. Sorry about the dog. It's one thing or another with pets, isn't it? My cat is zooming around the living room this morning, don't know what got into her.

I like having fish once a week or so, but haven't been able to find it affordably since COVID. We are a land locked state, and it all has to be trucked in. Even tilapia has gone up.

Dinner tonight is bratwurst, leftover french fries, and asparagus.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Jetts- I like your fireplace. I'm sure i have seen them advertised.
Dlr- sorry about the ticket for DH. I don't know if buses out here have cameras.

Cold at night but day temps ok. I lost all of my plants in the mini greenhouse due to cold. Bummer.

DS2 says he may not graduate in the Spring as he has a classmate that won't due to needing more classes. So DS2 thinks the same will happen to him. He has a appt with the counselor. Teachers have retired and classes were cancelled but I don't know any other changes.

Cooked a pumpkin and made a pie. I'll make another one today or tomorrow or freeze the puree. I have 2 more pumpkins to cook.
I will work on thursday. DH brining/smoking a bird. I didn't invite DS1 and gf over since we will end up eating late. Maybe they will go out but i will ask.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Another beautiful day. Did a few order pickups yesterday. Kohls had some blankets on sale and there was one that looked like it was cross stitched. There is a Frozen Christmas show and one part shows a knitted blanket and dgd always says she wants one. I don't knit and finding one has been impossible. This one is close enough. Super soft. Then I went to look for new stockings for Christmas. Ended up at Hobby Lobby. They had a stocking with a fox on it. Dgds love foxes. 🦊 I got one for each of them. Then found wooden letters, so I'll glue their first initial on to tell them apart. They'll look nice on the new fireplace. Yes, it does have heat. I have it off right now. We may need to run a new circuit for it. It uses quite a bit of amps and this circuit is already overloaded. We have one that has half the house on it.

Dh is better. The antibiotic finally helped. He did take some cough medicine last night and he was able to sleep. He went to work today. There's been a problem he's been trying to fix from home, but he really needed to be there to work on it.

Taking mom to get her hair done and then pick up groceries, if she was able to get a time for it. If not, I'll just have to run the groceries over later. May stop to see if I can find the spread I like to put in celery. It's becoming hard to find. Some years I find it, some I don't. It's a pineapple spread. Comes in a jar. There is also a pimento variety. If not, I'll just use almond butter, since dgd has a peanut allergy. Make some pies. I'm not sure where the extra pie plates are. I had them in the garage sale, because I don't like them. Dgd is really happy that Papa is feeling better and we can come the their house for Thanksgiving dinner.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving. 🦃

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Warming up today, supposed to get into the 60s. Going to do some more cleaning, including my car. Trying to get DH to put lawn stuff away, it's just sitting in the driveway. Rain coming tomorrow.

Have one dish to make for tomorrow, we are eating at a friend's house. Will do our own bird on Friday. Having a small meal this year and avoiding a lot of extra splurges. We have plenty already, not making it fancy just to spend $.

Taco bowls for dinner. Have ground beef, beans and rice, tortilla chips, avocado, etc.

Hope everyone has a nice holiday, be safe if you drive.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Jett I know the pineapple spread in a jar you are looking for.....I've forgotten about it because I haven't seen it in years.....hope you find it....it is sooo good.....
CH it nice to not have to cook for everyone isn't it.....
Dlr I have bananas staring me in the face waiting to be turned into muffins....don't know why I am dragging my feet as they are so simple to make.....I use a mix and add the banana.....they always taste delicious.....
Ruj hope you son can find out if he has enough credits....happened to my daughter....she was half a credit short....she had to do a crash course in Spanish and we didn't know till last minute if she had passed or not.....

It's nice out today. But will storm all day tomorrow.....I'm just making a fruit salad to take to my son's house. He requested it....it's easy, a can of crushed pineapple, dry vanilla pudding, can of cherry pie filling, cool whip and some mini marshmallows....very good and loaded with calories. Isn't everything that is good???? DIL asked that I bring a tray of sweets so I have macarons, mini pecan pies, chocolate covered pretzels, brownies and maybe some fudge....

Got a ton of stuff from auction yesterday for shoeboxes next year. Got some adorable dresses that are from Target that have a $30 price tag and I paid $2. The auction was moving so fast, I ended up with 22 of them. At last pick up they didn't have two of my items due to their error so she asked if I wanted a refund or I could take something else...told her to just give me something for kids so she gave me a cute little dress size 3 and two sleepers 24 mths. which I can use in my shoeboxes....

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. I have so much to be thankful for....be safe ....stay healthy....

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Thanks for all the ticket sympathies. But he is a rude, inconsiderate driver and I hate riding in the car with him. Camera ticket is $250 (seems to be consistent in several counties here.) If the police had witnessed in person the ticket can be much more severe possibly including jail time and license suspension (I guess depending on circumstances.) He is lucky it's just $, no points, and no insurance impact. He used to get speeding tickets and had to go to remedial driving school to reduce the points and at one point had to hire an attorney due to his driving.

Tried to vacuum the couch using the upholstery tool. There is little brush that is supposed to spin from the suction but it's not working. I took apart and cleaned it out several times, may need lubrication I guess. Looked online for a replacement part but too old and no parts stocked. I know I cleaned inside the vacuum and filters recently but already filthy w/ dust again. I guess from the chimney work. Getting HVAC ducts cleaned after Christmas, soonest they could come. Going to keep vacuuming and cleaning, hopefully things improve. I need to learn to use the upholstery attachment on the carpet shampoo machine.
I hope everyone has a nice day tomorrow.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I haven't been able to stop by here for awhile--class and work and kids have all just buried me a bit. But I'm glad to have a chance to stop in. Getting the house ready for Thanksgiving, sure hope it all goes ok. Only 5 people coming tomorrow, but that's 9 total people to feed. Kids will sit at the bar, and we can barely fit the other 7 at the table. We have a folding table, too, but I really don't want to pull it out if I don't have to. My mother-in-law is bringing 3 pies, my Mom is bringing a pie and broccoli rice casserole and a jug of tea--oh and 3 folding chairs. We're doing everything else. I am hoping to get the appetizer trays and salads together tonight and get the kitchen set up after kids go to bed.

1381 - 1400 of 1439 Posts