Frugal Village Forums banner
1401 - 1420 of 1439 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving. Mix of rainy and sunny days coming up bur relatively warm in the 50's. Will see what I can get done outside while it's pleasant. Really hoping for a milder winter.
Hubby sounds terrible (coughing, congestion). He will probably insist on going to his sister's house for dinner anyway, guess it will be a short visit. I need to get the sweet potatoes ready. Otherwise just keep knitting hats. Next charity drop-off is Dec 13.
Update: He called to let his sister know he was staying home. I'll go with the sweet potatoes and bring some food home for him.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Dlr, I hope he feels better soon and you don't get sick.

It's cloudy, warm and dry here. We'll be going out this afternoon to dinner at a friend's house. I was thinking of baking a cranberry loaf, but it looks like I won't have time. It'll be a tight squeeze to get it out of the oven before we have to leave so I'll do it tomorrow. Or maybe later this evening. Cranberry Orange Bread with Glaze

Happy Holidays everyone!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
sunny here and in the 50s. a few stressful days of computers not working right and year end but getting to the end. so work and get thank you chocolates. dug though the liquor cabinet and found 2 bottles to regift from last year. hostess gift and to go w choc as a extra for other family member. told dd to rake since sunny. we have a free art class tonight. last of the year. have been shopping the black friday sales too lol I hope everyone feels better and has a good Thanksgiving !
Bird Phasianidae Organism Cartoon Beak

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.....we had the best dinner in many years.....my dil did a fabulous job...there were just 7 of us as her son and family were sick....we had a nice time and the food was delicious...son borrowed my roaster and I told him to keep it and also told him to keep the moon and stars crystal bowl I had the fruit salad in. If I need, I can borrow from him. They just got a new shed for yard and I am trying to talk husband into getting one for me....I really need a place to keep my shoebox items as they add up quickly.....he's not having it....lol

It is raining and dreary and cold....

Husband is cleaning out our meds.....I can not for the life of me find my meds to take before going to the dentist...going have to call and get a new script....

Have to make some soup and a few meals for a friend who is going thru cancer treatments who isn't doing so well....will stop by and see her on Tuesday after dentist...

I did get my table set for Thanksgiving even if we didn't eat here, I like walking by and seeing how pretty it looks....used my DT plates and it looks pretty.....will leave for a few days and then do it up for Christmas....will probably change it up once or twice....I have nothing better to do then go to the doctors come December.....I lead a boring life but sometimes its so nice not to have the drama.....

Have a good weekend....unfortunately we have a funeral on Saturday morning. Going have to get up early as it's an hour and 15 minute ride with no traffic but with everyone shopping who knows what traffic will be like.....

Be safe....stay healthy....

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
We had a lovely meal with friends. Everyone brought a dish to share and our host and hostess provided a delicious turkey and a ham. Not a lot of cranberry eaters, so there are plenty of leftovers for us. (I won't have to make a 2nd batch).

Rain incoming for tomorrow or Saturday.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Good morning. Had a nice meal at SIL & BIL's house. Kids were being kids. The oldest (girl) was nicely behaved but the 3 young boys seemed bent on destruction. Brought home a selection of turkey and sides for hubby who stayed home. They did not have pumpkin pie (key lime instead) so I'll make one over the weekend. Looked around on the internet and found Playtex bras on sale, got 2 for $22 after coupon. Time to start replacing a few old things. Got a $5 off $5 coupon at Safeway so will get more dog food on Saturday when I go out, also need to visit library and bank. Drizzling rain but should stop soon. Have a good weekend.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Clear and cold this morning. May warm later. Our small turkey is still mostly frozen, so I guess I will have to put it in a water bath. We're eating later anyway.

May browse the online sales, but can't think of anything we urgently need this year. I'm sure something will die next week.

Should be a quiet day.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Got some mark-downs at Safeway this morning - bagels, lean ground beef and cottage cheese 50% off. There was lots of flavored yogurt and the small containers marked down, but I always buy a quart of plain yogurt for me & dogs. Today I want to get back to the sewing project. Ordered something for hubby and got free shipping. His birthday is also in December and I always wrack my brain for gifts. Looks like meatloaf for supper and leftover sweet potatoes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Finally, a chance to pop on and catch up. Puppy is keeping me busy and dh is upset about her being here so fun times at my house. 🙁 Thanksgiving we went to my sisters house and had a wonderful time. Was happy to see that stores are now closed on Thanksgiving, it took a pandemic for that nonsense to end. I always felt sorry for the workers in retail having to work on the holiday. Friday both dh and I had to work but luckily traffic was light. Most people must shop online now. Today I spent home catching up around here. Housework, laundry and got my outside fall decorations put away. Did some Christmas decorating inside, I usually put the tree up but with a puppy here decided to wait. She has a meet and greet on Wednesday so cross your fingers for me that potential adopter will fall in love. My evening plans are to not leave my couch.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Have a good evening Rabbit. Hope the puppy does well at the meet-and-greet.

All the retail places have hiring signs up, I don't think they can get workers like they used to. It is nice that stores are closed now. People want to be with their families. I don't know many people who want to go out and power shop like they used to, waiting in lines, or trying to get in at midnight. I've been browsing online but haven't really seen any sales that excite me. The pet supply place had 30% off food, so I sent a case as a gift to our local shelter.

Good deals, DLR. We are stocked up, I am hoping to not shop again until Wed or Thurs. Leftover turkey and leftovers from lunch out today. We were so full we skipped dinner.

Raining tonight. Not too hard, nice and steady, the kind we need.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
The sun is shining now. It rained last night. Should be clearing up. Dh went into work. He has been to work much over the past couple of weeks. He had a cough with the strep and they didn't want him coming in. He did email and phone calls from home.

Thanksgiving was good. Went to oldest ds' for dinner. His wife cooked the meal. It was really good. Didn't find the pineapple cheese. It has been discontinued. I looked it up online to see if they even had it anymore. It didn't sell well, so they stopped making it. I didn't do any celery. There was plenty of food. It was the first time I had sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. My mom used to make it, and I always thought it was gross. I just never liked sweet potatoes until the past 10 years or so. I usually put a pecan crumble on mine. It was a good dinner and I didn't have to cook. I was sad the youngest ds was alone for Thanksgiving. I think he slept most of the day. He said he wasn't feeling well. Not sure if he's coming home for Christmas. He has two dogs, a cat and a raccoon to take care of. He'd have to find someone to take care of them. I think that's why he wants us to move there.

Didn't go out shopping on Friday. We did a Target pickup. We are helping a lady help a young family get started. They had nothing. They were sleeping on the floor, so we got them some things to get started. Target wasn't too busy. Picked up youngest dgd to spend some time here. We can't have both of them together. They fight and just bother each other. She picked out her Christmas gifts and we ordered from Amazon. One item wasn't available, so I found it at Target. Went later in the afternoon for a pick up and it was crazy. People everywhere. I used to love black Friday shopping, but not anymore. People are crazy and it's just scary out there these days. I remember one year going to Joann and the fabric line was crazy. I think I was in line for at least an hour just to get fabric cut and then had to stand in line again to pay. It's just not worth it anymore.

We're either having steaks and rice or I'll do a shrimp boil in the instant pot.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Jett I think it's a sign we are all getting older and wiser......not wanting to stand in line....easier to pay the extra ten bucks.....I never was a black friday shopper....I loved that cheese in the jar....I guess you could make your own with cream cheese and crushed pineapple....haven't made stuffed celery in a long time....that's nice of you to help the young family out....I remember when we moved here, my kids slept on folding lawn chairs till we could afford beds....we had a huge wooden box piled with blankets and pillows as a sofa and lawn chairs to sit on. Fun times....
I need to run to store and get some soup supplies. Friend is going thru chemo so I told her I would stop by after the dentist and visit and drop off a couple of meals for her. I remember when I was going thru it, I didn't cook or do anything...not a fun time...
I packed up my fall stuff and have a huge tote I am putting out for whoever.....I still have lots but darn those pumpkins take up a lot of room in the totes.....

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Chilly this morning but sunny and warming up. Paid all the bills online this morning. Have to get DH out soon to jump start my car or put it on a charger.

Forgot to put my Thanksgiving wreath up, and not ready to get the christmas stuff out yet.

Jetts, I thought I saw some pineapple cream cheese in the dairy section. One of those plastic tubs. Maybe your store has them?

Saw in the news that the US did 9.1 billion dollars of online shopping on Friday. Guess those are credit card charges. Maybe people aren't feeling so pinched by the economy after all. I looked around online but didn't see any crazy good deals on stuff we want. Now, if I could get 30-50% off groceries for a week.....

Helped DH make a taco bowl out of leftovers for lunch. Having pork chops and leftover roast vegetables for dinner.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Sounds like everyone had a nice Thanksgiving! That Kraft pineapple cheese hasn't been up here for decades..like the 70s as far as I remember and then a few years ago when I went to fred meyers first time on this coast..saw it with other things that disappeared here ..told my mom lol remember this and that. like the campbells can of shrimp soup I bought recently just to try. I have to say in when I go diff places thrift stores and grocery stores I always like to check out.

saw that some cypher monday sales are better then the black friday sales but nope spent too much. got dresses for dd and I vintage style 40/50s so easy to wear. sale plus extra 25% off. released need to make a shrug for them too.

sunny yesterday and today 30s.. snow suppose to come but has been in the mountains. when it hits down here..panic lol made the smoked turkey etc and it triggered dh allergies..why don't know so he is ok but he can just eat safe easy food for next couple of days and rest of us leftovers. tomato soup grilled cheese etc for him.

need to do bank deposit on the way to work and then see mom. dd bday tomorrow so have to dug out more presents too her pokemon game she has. always get the physical game cus then in future can be sold. even vintage ones are still worth $$$. our library buys video games so got the other one on hold. last year I got them with reward miles so no money.

boys got the river rock bed done yesterday and dd raked leaves at moms. of course laundry housework etc here. that doesn't stop. ds washed the mountain of clothes in his room and is suppose to go though them to get rid of what he doesn't want.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got gas at Costco this morning for 3.12 a gallon. I had to check three times to make sure I was seeing it right. I kept thinking maybe I was seeing a one when it was really a seven. Hope it stays that price. Picked up a few sale items at Meijer before work, nothing much on sale that we eat. I’m on puppy duty so nothing much is getting done.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Warm and windy today. Storms moving in later. We could see snowflakes. Or a tornado, who knows.

Good price on gas, Rabbit. I hope ours has come down, I need to fill up my car. I hope the battery is charged, DH hooked it up to a charger yesterday.

Need to clean out the fridge and freeze leftovers. Have enough for a couple days, planning to go out tomorrow to get cat vaccinated, may stop and get a few things. If not, definitely on Thurs.

Lentil stew over rice for dinner tonight. Spinach on the side, either cooked or as a salad.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Bagged leaves this morning and put on the street for pickup tomorrow. They keep coming down and blowing around but at least not ankle-deep in leaves everywhere. Going out to pick up things at a few stores including a small Christmas tree. Got a coupon for 10% off but guessing still expensive. The prices were awful last year.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Turning cold this afternoon. It got windy while I was out. Took mom to two appointments. We were able to make it to the heart doctor in plenty of time. Mom really likes her new PCP. He's young and was pleasant. If I ever have to change doctors, I could like this guy. Mom's blood pressure was okay at the first appointment. When we got to the heart doctor it was 90/48. Way too low. I was afraid she'd pass out on me. I was hoping if she did, it would be at the doctor's office, but we got back home okay. I'm not sure why she's on BP meds, maybe because of AFIB. But he cut her meds in 1/2 and she isn't to take it on the morning of dialysis. We've been trying to schedule a time to have her temp port removed, but I think we are going to wait until after Christmas now.

Going to run to the store for some salad fixings. We're ready to start eating healthy again. I just have to do a better job of planning ahead and making sure we have something for a quick, healthy meal on busy days. Dh wants some salmon too.

Went to Menards yesterday. I bought some things for dgds and then it was 1/2 price in the black Friday ad. Went back to get a refund and then found some other things. Picked up some things for my sister. I wanted to get her something a little nicer this year. It's usually hot chocolate, popcorn, cheese kind of stuff. They had some slippers and a shawl that I thought she would like.

I've seen the pineapple cream cheese in the tubs. It's not the same, but would do. I just scrapped the celery this year. There was plenty of food, we didn't need it.

1401 - 1420 of 1439 Posts