Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a little late, but here is a new thread for a new year's garden. :whistle:

Right now, I'm just waiting to get through winter. Not sure what I'll plant this year, beyond more strawberries - particularly the ever-bearing kind. A good number of my old plants pretty much died off in the past year or so. Not bad for a bunch of volunteer plants.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I've got my catalogs and need to go through my seeds and see what I have. Haven't really started thinking about what to plant yet. I joined a local FB gardeners group, hope that will be beneficial.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Anyone grow pearl onions? I'm in the Pacific Northwest so any root crops are a bit of a challenge due to damp, but the stores have been out of pearl onions here for almost a year and I really miss them for crockpot meals. Has anyone had success with them, and if so, what variety please?

Roomie actually agreed to container garden this summer and voted for cherry tomatoes. I'm going for the onions, cooking herbs, cat grass, catnip, and lavender since I love the scent but the essential oil is really expensive now. I like the idea of drying it in my garage hung upside down and having the best smelling garage on the street. I dried catnip one year and once the catnip finally germinated it did really well in a pot. If I find a container deep enough I will also try a couple grapevines or berry bushes. Someone on another forum suggested getting stock troughs from a farm supply since they'll be light enough for me to lift before the dirt is in them, and the company will deliver. Plus they hold enough soil for a small garden each and will look decent from the street.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I currently have a indoor lemon plant. It's about 2 ft tall and budded. I sit in in the south facing window and water once a week. The flowers have the most beautiful scent and I can't wait to see them.

I'd like to plant onions/potatoes/basil/garlic this year. The strawberries didn't thrive. I'm hoping the peach tree produces. The apple tree is big but nothing yet. The small apple tree is still a branch in the ground with green buds.

·
Registered
843 Posts
If the snow keeps melting I will find my manure pile and hope to get more on the gardens!
My rosemary plant at work is looking VERY sad. I think it would like to be repotted with better soil and maybe more humidity. Not sure what to do about that. I keep the needles that fall off anyway.

i've saved seeds from 2 more squashes as I eat them. I think one had immature seeds but I will throw them in the garden anyway, just in case. One last squash from fall harvest left to eat and if the seeds look at all viable I will save some to plant again.

It is fun eating dry beans from my garden this winter. First time I have managed to get more beans than I planted! (I am not a good gardener but maybe someday???)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
We had a major weed problem last year. DH figured out that one of the underground hoses had a hole and created ponds in the lawn...That is on the list of things to fix this year... I also found this article on natural ways to fight weeds. I will give these a try. I'll try vinegar or corn meal to start.
Best Ways To Get Rid Of Weeds In Your Garden | UseMyPro.com

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Good luck! Weeds tend to be far more stubborn than vegetables. I wonder how the cornmeal works and how much you need to spread. I have found newspaper and straw to work well but it is a lot of work for me to get it down.

I got my garden membership today. It comes with 10 free packs of seed, 5 or 10 lbs of composted manure, and access to reduced price straw and plants. They won't have seed until March 1st, however a local garden center donated two huge boxes of last year's seed packs, and I was able to dig through and find 38 packs for free!

Most are flowers, I got sweet alyssum, creeping thyme, cosmos, zinnia, english daisy, yellow daisy, and shasta daisy, nasturtium, french marigold, and iceplant.

Vegetables: two different melons, baby watermelon, pickling cucumber, chives, zucchini, tomatillo, french radish, and yellow scallop summer squash

Took 2 of most, some like the watermelon and zucchini I could only find one each, others like the nasturtium and tomatillo I took 3. Hopefully germination is at least 50%.

I also planted the tulip bulbs I received this week. The grass is very bad in that bed and took more digging than I wanted to do, but it got done. I have to do some reading on the alium and see which side of the house would be best.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My rosemary plant at work is looking VERY sad. I think it would like to be repotted with better soil and maybe more humidity. Not sure what to do about that. I keep the needles that fall off anyway.
MaggieTru- I have always heard that rosemary doesn't like having "wet feet," so it might need LESS humidity, not more. I have terrible luck with them, but the ones I ignore seem to do better than the ones I smother :) They definitely need LOTS of light.

a local garden center donated two huge boxes of last year's seed packs, and I was able to dig through and find 38 packs for free!
SCORE!!!!!!

Ok, confession time. I just went through my archive of seeds... about a gallon-ziploc full...

The lowlights are SEVEN packs of bush beens (green) and SIX of yellow beans... along with a LOT Of greens (lettuce, spinach, chard, mustard, kale, "microgreens", etc.) Clearly I have good intentions... but weak followthrough... Then there's yellow and green squash, winter squashes, peppers, watermelon and cantaloupes... even some mixed cutting flowers... pretty much everything that you can grow from seed except corn (I have proven over and over that I have no talent for corn!)

I am thinking I will start them ALL and see what happens. Most packs are old and may not grow. I also have some saved seeds (from produce I bought) and if they grow, I don't know if/what they will produce...

I made the mistake of telling DD14 (the little capitalist) that if we have too many seedlings we can sell them at the farmers' market for cheap and give the money to charity... and she promptly drew up a schematic where we plow up the whole backyard and plant it alllllll (with no regard to sun/shade or physical/time restrictions...)

H was actually on board with that idea, but I'm not! 🤣 He never works in the garden, at all, he doesn't even like vegetables! He just liked the idea of less mowing... :rolleyes:

I have some old glass doors I am hoarding to build a she-shed that I am going to try using as a cold frame for one of our raised-ish beds for all those greens (we never have any luck with those)... and lots of other ideas...

Now, I just need my BRAIN (and my family) to realize that my BODY cannot keep up with our dreams and wishes!!!

But it was gorgeous today and we spent the afternoon burning old, dried stuff from last year, so that is a step in the right direction. (And we roasted hot dogs for lunch, then made carne asada over the coals for dinner!) Snow in the forecast tomorrow, though, so I don't know when I'll get more work done outside. Meanwhile, we had one of those little plastic greenhouse seed trays with peat pots laying around, so I soaked those and will start the peppers tomorrow, then flower seeds, tomatoes, and leafy greens as I make room somewhere in the house...

I am tired just thinking about it!!! 🤣

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Ok, so I never did start those peppers last week-- not even the rainbow pepper seeds I gave to DD18 to start! So today I finally started SOME of my seeds-- the oldest dating back to 2014!!! (not holding out a lot of hope on those, but figured why not...) DD18 swiped all my seed starting medium, so I am making due with cheap-o potting soil from the dollar store...

Today I started cutting garden flowers, 2 types of lettuce, spinach, kale, rainbow chard, and a mix that is supposed to be microgreens, but I am likely to let them grow into big plants (mustard, kale, kohlrabi) for the rabbits. I also started some tomato, pepper, and eggplant seeds. The kitchen garden window is officially PACKED! Plant Window Wood Shelving Gas

And that's only half of it, I have a bunch to do tomorrow as well, I just ran out of seeding containers. (I am trying to use things we already have, so I will look around tonight and tomorrow.) I can set those in the office or the workroom until they sprout, but once they start needing light, I will have to get clever...

DD18 liked the aerogarden I gave her for Christmas so much that she immediately bought herself a second, knock-off version and has been growing all sorts of things in her room. The nosy neighbor across the street is probably looking with binoculars to see if it's weed with all the bright grow-lights going all the time... :rolleyes:

The basil and tomatoes she started got too big and we have divided and transplanted them into dirt, results remain to be seen... We also pruned off some of the suckers and are seeing if they will root either in the soil or in the hydro-garden.
Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Light Purple

She is very silly and tried to start a pumpkin plant hydroponically... then moved it to a big pot... now it is trying to set blossoms... in her bedroom...in February... :rolleyes: She has a very green thumb, but not the best logic sometimes 🤣

But hey, guess what!?! When I was hunting around for pots, I found a volunteer plant that both of my cats concur is probably catnip. Yay!

Everything I started today was using old seeds, dirt that I got at the dollar store in exchange for other stuff I didn't want (they don't do returns for cash... grr...), and containers I already had. The only exception is the eggplant seeds, those were 4/$1, so I have technically spent $0.25 so far... I am a cheap date! 🤣

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I really should have started things a few weeks ago but I have no place to keep a flat of pots. I am amazed by people who have a spare room or an empty garage and are starting hundreds of seeds. I am in a local area garden group and have seen the photos. I'm lucky if I can keep half a dozen marigolds alive. I sorted all my seeds by suggested planting date, it's just a matter of guessing when the "last frost" is going to be. It's usually around mid-April, but we could have snow as late as the first week of May.

March 1 is seed day at the community garden, I will get the rest of my vegetables then.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
CH- I hear ya! I am always envious of those who have a 4-seasons room, but now that you mention it, a garage would a temptation for planting, too!

I accidently bumped my little terrarium (a plastic strawberry pint) that had 2017 kale seeds in it today... there are tiny little green spikes starting to pop out from the seeds I disturbed! In other news, while looking for something in "scary closet of madness" under the stairs, I discovered ANOTHER pack of green bean seeds (that brings me to EIGHT) and some 2014 collard seeds...

Since the weather is in the 50's today and maybe even low 60's tomorrow, I started those collards, some 2014 "oriental greens" (like a cabbage/mustard hybrid), some 2016 radishes, and an open pack of spinach with the date torn off all outside in a raised bed I just moved and filled. The plan is to put a plastic sheeting cold-frame on it before the weather snaps again tomorrow, then see what happens. If nothing grows, oh well... I have never worked with cold frames before, so this is all a big experiment, but they are all cold-weather plants to start with, so there is a chance...

For now, they are VERY STYLISHLY covered with an old screen door and bunch of wire shelves from an old freezer to let the rain in and keep the nosy chickens out. I am still deciding how I will keep the destructo-sauruses out of all the new beds once I start seriously planting...

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I'm late getting things started, but I haven't had much luck starting early. Mixed up a bucket of potting mix, it was very dry and needed water. Added some composted chicken poo. It's a bit smelly, but good stuff! Going to dig out trays and pots today and start getting those ready. Tomorrow is seed day at the community garden. Planning to get lettuce, chard, beets, peas and maybe beans.

Don't have any tomato seed left so I placed an order this morning. Everything has gone up, some by .35, some by $1 or more. I got a pack of mixed variety heirlooms, and a pack of mixed cherry/grape sized salad tomatoes. So I'll have different kinds without buying a lot of envelopes. Also bought chard, bok choi, shishito pepper, and a hybrid cucumber that I have success with.

Not a lot to look at right now, but here is the garden. Half of it anyway. Old red tomato cages are still up. A lot of debris needs cleared.

Plant Tree Branch Wood Land lot

There's another plot on the right of the blue trash can and strawberry bed. Plan is to make that a raised bed this year. I have the timber and bricks I bought a year ago. It needs to be done before the strawberries revive.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I'm thinking of ordering some strawberry plants. I want bigger strawberries. The ones I've been growing, I get maybe one big one and the rest are tiny. Dgds love strawberries. I'm debating on a new blueberry bush too. The one I have produced quite a bit last year, but we could use more. Tomatoes haven't done well in pots. Maybe one or two small tomatoes. Probably do some lettuce and spinach and maybe a few herbs.

Dgd said she loves roses, so I'm going to look into some roses this year for one of the beds. The other bed, I'm not going to do much with until we get the fence done behind it. Don't want my flowers trampled.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I have another goji berry on the plant. They appear overnight. I'll try to pick up some pots and soil today to replant the lemon and goji. I hope the soil doesn't have bugs. I'll put the plants out in the summer but indoors the rest of the year.

I'll try the planting method by Mel Bartholomew. The wine barrel can house onions and herbs. The planter will get a trellis in the back to house tomatoes or beans, carrots below and marigolds in front to keep aphids away. If things go well, I'll get more planters. I'll put onions and garlic in the ground, where the strawberries were. There is a butterfly bush next to that area and it shaded the strawberries, which is probably why they didn't do well. But the onion/garlic don't need a lot of sun, I would guess.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have outlined our expanded garden with old yarn and tent pegs and graphed out a rough idea of what goes where... now the hard part-- actually DOING any of it!!! 🤣

Today was payday, so we bought a(nother) new lawnmower... this one is electric, so we should not have any more "bad gas" problems... just "forgot to charge the battery" problems... next I have to low-mow the area I have staked out, then rent a tiller and till it all up.

Meanwhile, I have lots of seeds germinating in all sorts of containers and today I moved some of them into old cell-packs for their next stage... I will not have anywhere NEAR enough of those packs, so it's going to get wild here in next month or so figuring out the stage between "50 seedlings in a salad container" and "hardened individual plants ready for the ground." I am TRYING not to buy any new containers (not even dixie cups), but we'll see...

I have an absolute HOARD of old 2-liter bottle and plastic fast-food cups I am saving to use first as cloches until the danger of frost is past, then as collars to protect from borers and destructo-chickens...

Last week, though, we did repair our old, neglected compost tumbler and move it right by the chicken coop and load it up. The hope is that since we have to let the little beasts out and back in every day and night, we will remember to turn the tumbler if it is right there next to the coop... and then I totally forgot this morning! 🤣 In addition to the batch-composter, I also need to decide where I am putting the "piles" in the new arrangement. Right now we have too much "brown" and not much "green"... but then summer mowing will come and that will reverse, so if I was smart, I'd be saving up all the brown now for later... just gotta figure out where to stash it...

Oh, and just I was celebrating the miracle of my 2017 pack of kale seeds sprouting out by the ZILLIONS (seriously, I have no clue how to even pot them all, let alone where to fit them in the garden or who to pawn them off on...) I bought kale at the grocery today for $.99 for a MASSIVE bouquet of the stuff. Kinda burst my bubble a bit! 🤣 Hopefully I'll have similar success with my peppers... THOSE are going for $1.50 EACH...

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My peppers (new seeds, and not even from DT...) are sitting there not doing anything yet. To be fair, it has only been 4 days, but the mesclun I seeded the same day is already starting to outgrow its egg carton and the hollyhocks I started that day have started sprouting, too... I want instant gratification!!!! (Seriously, the sprouting stage is the part that requires the least from me... after that, they actually require care and feeding and all that crap...)

Today I visited my niece and we talked a little bit about what kinds of things I can pawn off on her if I end up with extras... if I don't, she can buy them herself! 🤣 I gave her a little basket with 20 tiny-baby kale plants (like 2-leaf radish-looking little sprouts) just to get them out of my house... I have 18 more multi-plant cells in my window plus zillions more still in the sprouting box... so if she kills them before spring, no worries! She is fighting off some depression, so I'm hoping that getting her thinking ahead to spring might help a little. She's doing meds and gym and therapy, too, of course... but I have always found that it is helpful to have plans to look forward to and commitments you know you need to honor... helps force you to keep moving, even when you don't want to.

Oh, and a big, sarcastic "THANKS ALOT!!!" to y'all with your potato-talk... I was making potato soup tonight and noticed a lot of my potatoes had eyes and sprouts going on... so I cooked the parts that didn't and am soaking the chunks that did, and now I guess I'm adding potatoes to this year's plan. 😜 It will be amusing if they grow, though, since those particular potatoes were free on a grocery promo to start with...

But I need to plug my ear (eyes?) when you talk about strawberries!!! I have no luck with them, but they tempt me all the same...

Oh, and DD18 (with the soft hands and the video game addiction) thinks that she wants to study agro-business and aquaculture after she finishes high school... Rather than just tell her she's crazy, I've answered an ad for a hobby farm/nursery about 20 miles from here that is looking for part-time help. If that works out, she would get to see more behind-the-scenes stuff... not just hundreds of flats of seedlings arriving mid-bloom on trucks like magic. I'd have to go work there, too, because she doesn't drive, but I think it would be interesting for a season-- the hospital job I am looking at doesn't start until June anyway, or August if I take the later start... It's a bit of a drive, and I can't imagine the money will be worthwhile, but the education is the draw. This guy is a retired landscaper and real dirt-farmer who lives on a country road named after his family that has been there for generations... THAT is the kind of person I want to learn from... not the frou-frou organi-gurus at the upscale boutique "nurseries" (that don't actually GROW any of their products these days) So we'll see if that works out...

Reactions: marthamfi
1 - 20 of 96 Posts