Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a little late, but here is a new thread for a new year's garden. :whistle:

Right now, I'm just waiting to get through winter. Not sure what I'll plant this year, beyond more strawberries - particularly the ever-bearing kind. A good number of my old plants pretty much died off in the past year or so. Not bad for a bunch of volunteer plants.

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
I've got my catalogs and need to go through my seeds and see what I have. Haven't really started thinking about what to plant yet. I joined a local FB gardeners group, hope that will be beneficial.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yikes!!! Already!!!!! I am going with seeds I already own. I have so many including several varieties I have saved hoping to get to plants that survive well here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Anyone grow pearl onions? I'm in the Pacific Northwest so any root crops are a bit of a challenge due to damp, but the stores have been out of pearl onions here for almost a year and I really miss them for crockpot meals. Has anyone had success with them, and if so, what variety please?

Roomie actually agreed to container garden this summer and voted for cherry tomatoes. I'm going for the onions, cooking herbs, cat grass, catnip, and lavender since I love the scent but the essential oil is really expensive now. I like the idea of drying it in my garage hung upside down and having the best smelling garage on the street. I dried catnip one year and once the catnip finally germinated it did really well in a pot. If I find a container deep enough I will also try a couple grapevines or berry bushes. Someone on another forum suggested getting stock troughs from a farm supply since they'll be light enough for me to lift before the dirt is in them, and the company will deliver. Plus they hold enough soil for a small garden each and will look decent from the street.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I currently have a indoor lemon plant. It's about 2 ft tall and budded. I sit in in the south facing window and water once a week. The flowers have the most beautiful scent and I can't wait to see them.

I'd like to plant onions/potatoes/basil/garlic this year. The strawberries didn't thrive. I'm hoping the peach tree produces. The apple tree is big but nothing yet. The small apple tree is still a branch in the ground with green buds.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If the snow keeps melting I will find my manure pile and hope to get more on the gardens!
My rosemary plant at work is looking VERY sad. I think it would like to be repotted with better soil and maybe more humidity. Not sure what to do about that. I keep the needles that fall off anyway.

i've saved seeds from 2 more squashes as I eat them. I think one had immature seeds but I will throw them in the garden anyway, just in case. One last squash from fall harvest left to eat and if the seeds look at all viable I will save some to plant again.

It is fun eating dry beans from my garden this winter. First time I have managed to get more beans than I planted! (I am not a good gardener but maybe someday???)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I planted an herb garden last year and absolutely loved having the fresh herbs to add to our foods. I know the chives will come back but I don’t think the others will.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts