Frugal Village Forums banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

Registered
I should do the potato thing this year. have a bid on geraniums ..an auction site..sad cus it is someones life in auction down to the old geraniums in the greenhouse but thought may as well get them and save money. $ 2 for 8 of them. think I bid on other ones too. Ds keeps getting saved from digging up the yard with the rain pouring so not good for digging.

Registered
Those are very tempting!!! I am going to be a good little bunny and sleep on it... I was thinking of doing an experiment with cardboard boxes, and hey, I could do control (mound) variable A (free boxes) and variable B, bag that are a bit of an investment, but reusable (and that little window is oh-so-cool...

Registered
Great news, guys!!! You know someone soon to be famous in the Guinness Book for accidentally inventing the WORST. GAME. EVER!!!!!!

Did you know that if you label all your potted seeds with wooden sticks and a sharpie and then the moonsoons come there will be NOTHING left on most of the sticks and only an illegible haze on a few others? You do now!

Did you also know that pretty much ALL gourd sprouts look the same? Butternuts, zukes, birdhouse gourds you had to scour the planet to find seeds for, mini pumpkins, 100+ lb big max, big moon, and Atlantic Giant pumkins... ALL. LOOK. THE. SAME.

Lesson learned.

Registered
Did you also know that pretty much ALL gourd sprouts look the same? Butternuts, zukes, birdhouse gourds you had to scour the planet to find seeds for, mini pumpkins, 100+ lb big max, big moon, and Atlantic Giant pumkins... ALL. LOOK. THE. SAME.
Yes, had that experience with mis labeled nursery pots. Also, if you plant things from the same family in the same garden they will cross pollinate. So your cucumbers will pick up pumpkin pollen and start doing weird things.

Registered
Hikr- Congrats on planting it all! I'm attempting that today.
CH- Cross-pollination causes weird things? I had no idea that pollen would even cause issues. I figured if the pollen wasn't the right species, then the plant would ignore it and move on..Hmmm
Z- Your experience would probably explain how my sister bought plants from Walmart labeled "squash" and ended up growing cabbage.

I planted seeds about a month ago in outdoor planters and then the snow came. The weather is in the 70's and 80's now but I have no idea if anything will grow. Or do I start over....

The lemon plant has white stuff on it's trunk. Probably mildew so I'm trying to dry it out. Maybe spray a anti-fungal on it to try to save it. It has 7 lemons on it, though.

I ordered a blueberry bush in case the lemon doesn't make it.....A pink blueberry so let's hope I can grow that.

Registered
Rujerro, nothing I planted in my indoor greenhouse germinated -- new seed and soil, too -- so I'll be starting over soon. We've had our last cold spell so I can put things outdoors for more light.

The milkweed I bought a week ago has doubled in size, it needs to go in the dirt with 4-5 other native plants. We are expecting heavy storms tonight, so maybe tomorrow....

Squash, pumpkins and gourds can cross pollinate, and cucumbers and melons can cross pollinate. It doesn't always happen, but I have had orange summer squash show up on my plants when the "cucumber" I bought turned out to be a pumpkin.

Registered
Even if they cross-pollinate the squashes should be edible, just probably not what you expected. Cucumber-pumpkin does not sound very tempting. When in doubt, cook to mush and make a pie or cake or muffins.

Registered
Cross pollinated squash may be edible, but most likely won't taste good. If it's bitter, don't eat it. Not poisonous, but could give you a stomach ache or upset digestion.

Wind yesterday took down one of the larger branches on the lilac bush out front. So now it's lopsided again. I trimmed off the flower stems and brought them inside and the house smells amazing.

I did 90 minutes work in the garden today. Looks like nothing happened. Mostly pulled and dug up weeds. Dinner plate sized dandelions, miniature maple trees, violets, and grass, of course. Put down paper and mulch for weed control in some areas, barely a dent in the work that needs done. Re-planted lettuce and chard and got out a piece of hardware cloth (ie chicken wire) and made a cover for the rows to keep Mr Orange Kitty from taking his dirt baths there. Had seeds in hand but was too tired to clear an area to plant beets. (and then scrounge up more covers to keeps the cats out)

My peas are up, some of them, under the trellis below:
Plant Plant community Tree Land lot Grass

DH has cut the wood I bought last year for the new strawberry bed. Strawberries are everywhere this year. The old raised bed is starting to rot, so DH suggested I paint the boards before assembling the new one. I think we have half a can of brown paint left from the trellis project last year.

This is my herb bed gone amok. Oregano, garlic, strawberries, and chives all intermingled. There's some asparagus back there too. And the dandelions and encroaching wintercreeper.

Plant Plant community Flowerpot Automotive tire Natural landscape

I really love the carpet of blue violets with the redbud tree.

Flower Plant Tree Vegetation Grass

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

Registered
CH-- an "amok" garden is a happy garden!!! No reason it all has to be "soldiers in a row"!!! (I am telling that to myself as much as you! Some of the most charming and established gardens I know of have no rhyme or reason at all, but they work.

I secretly like the violets, too. We get them everywhere and lately they seem like the only thing that the chickens can't destroy. So, at this point I'm just letting them be in the back yard, as long as they stay out of the veggie garden and don't crowd out the other flowers in the flower beds. Your yard looks like a fairytale meadow!

Registered
Zhoen, the back yard is magical in the spring on days like today.

Dlr, they say that, but I have had hard shelled orange striped fruit from late season cucumber plants that mixed with pumpkins.

Ren, yay! Hope you can get planting soon.

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

Registered
I have a tray of small potted plants that we purchased- strawberry/oregano/tomato. I've been setting them outside in the sun or indoors in the cold rain. They're doing well and will transplant them this week in big pots.
The buckets have drainage holes now and this week will be the kick-off to get it all going.. I'll get more buckets and try to grow a tobacco plant in one.
The items I planted in the planter and wine barrel a month ago have not sprouted. :(

41 - 60 of 96 Posts