Frugal Village Forums banner
81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
has been a very rainy spring so of course weeds loving it! did get the yards cleaned up during the few days of sun. my roses are out and latest peonies . my hanging baskets are looking great..growing well. did get the veggie ring garden cleaned out and the tomato plants are planted w a few marigolds. just have the 3 big pots of marigolds to plant now.

even the csa was delayed a week cus of lack of sun..lettuce, radishes, green onions, kale and bok choy from there. different types..mustard greens etc too.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
It's been too hot here to do anything but I am hoping for a few cooler days this weekend. Some mulch still needs to go down, and weeds have sprung up again and need cleared first. Few more plants to get in the ground, then I can sit back and wait for things to bloom and produce.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
No rain. And sometimes it's in the 80's but it's been so cloudy that we are getting cooler temps. Plants seem to enjoy it.
The apple tree is home but not planted yet. It has grown many apples since I last saw it. We'll get it in the ground tomorrow.
The yellow raspberries are producing well and it gets all day sun. The red raspberry isn't as quick producing but it is shaded by a tree somewhat.
I wanted to plant the goji but it says to plant when it's dormant. Which means it will come in the house for winter. Good grief. That thing is like Jack's beanstalk.
I've got tomatoes growing but very green. The planter with the items I started from seed (peppers/tomatoes/onions) are sprouting well and crowded so let's see what happens. Things take a long time out here to produce.
The peaches are bending the branches. We were thinking of putting a chair to hold up the branches.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
everything is growing though should have gotten tomatoes in earlier but had a few days of sun so they are growing. weeds of course going nuts. need to get ds to do a clean out of random maple seedlings, brambles etc. but the flowers and bushes are loving the wet weather w some sun growing big and fast.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I am about to concede defeat on the gardens. still cold and rainy here which is nearly unheard of. Normally HOT and dry by now. I keep weeding and weeding what I did get planted, but the open gardens are too wet and mucky to plant more stuff! The raised beds and tiny greenhouse might be it. If I can get more of the big gardens weeded I'm just throwing out radish and other super short season things and hoping for the best. Not even planting in rows.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Some years are like that.

This year I have tomatoes coming in earlier than I can remember, and lettuce lasting longer than I thought possible, but my swiss chard is just sitting there at 2" tall. Meanwhile my onions are over, about a month early and not much larger than when I planted them. The garlic that self seeded is doing well, and the random carrots that came up are blooming and drawing bees.

Reactions: marthamfi
81 - 87 of 87 Posts