Frugal Village Forums banner
101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Starting to clear out the weeds since I ended up not doing anything in my garden this year. Well, I did plant one tomato plant and it does have a couple of cherry tomatoes that I should harvest.

I did get some basil leaves from the basil. I'm planning on putting in more herbs next year in the section that doesn't get used as often. Although I should probably alternate between the two sections.... Nah... Going to go with perennial herbs in one half of the plot and continue with basic veggies in the other half. I do need to replace the strawberry plants. They' finally dying off but they were ~10 years old anyway. It's been a very weird year - first cold through most of May and then really dry and hot in July and August. At least, we're finally getting rain.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Ren- my strawberry plant produced a few berries and then just kept growing runners....
Here are my season harvests and fails:
Good points- peach tree made a bumper crop, raspberries produced a bit, herbs went crazy, tomatoes are still growing, potatoes are still growing.
Fails- Apples rotted on the branches, onions/spinach/peppers/lemon bush/blueberry sprig didn't do anything.

I'm thinking of a greenhouse but a shed-type has to be approved by the HOA and so I ordered a very small version that will sit outside. I'll put some plants in it and am trying to figure out how to keep the temperature steady. It will sit on the pallet on the concrete porch but I may put a water bucket in there to give off "steam" from the sun and humidity. We get a ton of snow but I'll keep my fingers crossed...

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
rujerro: My strawberries grew runners over the years but I pulled a good number of them in the past, which I now regret. I need to be careful to make sure I don't pull out more. I do want more, though, so I'm going to plant more to supplement what I have.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
getting chilly and last hot days we had ..wildfire smoke so my tomatoes didn't get that last blurst so will have lots of green ones. some big ones are turning colour so will see how far I can get. think my apples are disappearing from my tree too.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Smoke is a bummer! Hope you get some good tomatoes.
I got fewer than 15 apples off what is usually my main tree...the blossoms were blown off last spring. The deer must have been standing on each other's shoulders because I swear there were some lower apples. All that were left were WAY up, over 12 feet up. Got those. about half wormy. Dang. A few more off a volunteer tree on the side of the highway on the edge of my property. I'd never noticed that tree before. The apples don't taste like much but they exist. Will let them freeze a couple times and see if they get better.

Speaking of which...the lower part of my property has frosted twice! not hard, just a bit.

I have thyme and lovage leaves drying for winter seasoning. Some amaranth seeds. Have dried more lovage and a bit of mint. And I have a couple different kids of sage to get when the space opens up for them in the stack of drying stuff. I have basil and rosemary in little pots I hope to remember to move inside before the hard freeze!

Bit of lettuce is hanging on. I guess I may as well eat it before it freezes.

Other than that, do not expect any more from the gardens. Not a good year at all!!!

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
It has not been a great year here, either. Glad I don't rely on my garden and only use it to supplement our meals.

Food Plum tomato Ingredient Natural foods Green

This is what I found when we got home from vacation 2 weeks ago, and there hasn't been another cucumber since. Most of the tomatoes are eaten, we just had another big one with dinner. All 3 kinds of peppers are doing well, need to figure out how to preserve them this year. I'm trying to eat one a day.

3 of my kale plants survived, they should last until we get a hard freeze. Broccoli plants didn't produce anything. I dug the last few onions and what garlic I could find. There's more, but it has to wait for cooler weather.

If fall stays mild with no hard freeze or snow the tomatoes will hang on until Nov 1 or so.

Reactions: MaggieTru
101 - 106 of 106 Posts