Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know part way into January but new year ..most celebrations are over! time to go though cupboards, freezers etc and see what you need and what you need to use up. What are the great sales in your area at this time of year. Great time for using stuff up since cold and soup/stew weather.

I am pretty well stocked up ...going to need ivory bar soap and tp soon so will look for deals there. Plenty of things to use up .. recreate... have to spend at least $50 a week cus milk bread etc fresh stuff. cut back on leftovers.

share your progress

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I got clearance apples at walmart yesterday plus uncle ben side dish flavoured rice. 5 for $5. need extra stuff for side dish for fussy family w allergies so this should work for something different.

pulled frozen chili, hotdogs and pulled chicken containers out of the freezer for dinners. have lots of desserts..some need looking at like the old pumpkin pie. need more tp and soap soon. will make a cookie mix I bought. plenty of candy too.

turns out pulled chicken is spaghetti sauce lol no I don't label.

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
I made an inventory of the kitchen freezer and have a meal plan for the next 10 days, plus a few other meals this month. A few of the items we're having:

-- tuna rice bowls
-- corned beef sandwiches w/fries
-- sausage gravy w/biscuits
-- black bean soup
-- pulled pork sandwiches
-- tacos
-- roast turkey w/ stuffing and gravy
-- wild rice soup

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any suggestions as to what to do with chorizo? It doesn't seem to be the sliceable kind. I was given 2 packages of it and would love a way to use it up during the pantry challenge.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any suggestions as to what to do with chorizo? It doesn't seem to be the sliceable kind. I was given 2 packages of it and would love a way to use it up during the pantry challenge.
what about in spaghetti sauce..crumble it up ..depending now spicy it is..mix with hamburger for sauce. or in eggs have heard of that

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
It's basically spicy sausage. Crumble it up and fry it with potatoes for breakfast or dinner. Add it to a casserole, top a pizza, use it in soup. If it is too spicy for you then mix the raw chorizo with ground beef or pork to spread out the flavor, and use any place you'd use ground meat, like meatloaf, tacos, or burgers.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Spiderdust- Easy recipe for chorizo using tortillas/mushroom/cheese Mushroom and Chorizo Quesadillas Recipe - Chowhound ...Make burritos/tacos, omelet, mix with ground beef for stuffed cabbage or layer in a lasagna.

I got sale items today. Half gallons of milk for under a dollar.
I'll use up frozen items that are getting freezer burn. DH won't like it, but that's my reason for using steak. Some meals will be:
Crockpot stew
Smoked chicken over green salad
Spaghetti in meat sauce
Breaded chicken stuffed with spinach and cheese
Loaded baked potatoes (toppings like bacon bits/ cheese/ carmelized mushrooms//onions/sour cream/ leftover meats)

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
I have some fruit, salad, avocado, peanut butter, a few slices of bread, an egg, a few tomatoes, a chicken breast. What can I do with them?
Salad with avocado, tomato and egg would be good. You can make a sandwich with the chicken breast and sliced tomato. Eat your fruit as snacks. If you have enough bread, make toast with peanut butter and sliced fruit.

Here's a simple recipe for the chicken sandwich: Crispy Grilled Chicken Sandwich | Pan Fried Chicken | Easy & Best Recipe You can leave out the jalapenos and cheese if you do not have them, and add some avocado if you do not use it on the salad.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
We made this recipe w/ chorizo a week ago and it was good over pasta. Did not have artichokes and used canned tomatoes instead of dried. Had 2 links chorizo, removed the casings and broke up in the skillet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the chorizo suggestions, guys! I might make some breakfast burritos with it, thinking that the eggs and potatoes might tone down a little of the spiciness. I'll taste it after I brown a package to see if I need to mix the other pack with some ground beef or turkey.

They could work as breakfast-for-dinner burritos too!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok I am bad..ate out all day friday breakfast w friend but cheap and got takeout chinese for me and the kids. which feeds ds for at least a couple of days. arbys today cus we have had cravings for it and something every few months cus at least 1hr 1/2 half round time to one here. hotdogs etc yesterday. did early dinner of fries and popcorn shrimp too. ds on a growth spurt or something. he went though the milk and bananas making jumbo smoothies.

I cooked down the frozen tomatoes from garden about 7 or 8 and refroze it. ds eating the chili on hotdogs and I will make pasta tomorrow for dinner. I cooked a pound of peppered bacon in the freezer and put the cheese bread in the pan to soak up the bacon grease for the crows tomorrow. bread has moldy bits so out for the animals. last of discount cake went out yesterday. We have been eating the xmas chocolate etc for sweets.

dh picked up more milk. arbys has a sale on plain roast beef sandwiches so they will get them for lunches. as no lunch meat left. tomorrow I will go though the fridge check dates on sour cream etc plus veggies. brussel sprouts went to compost. dh at work and ds at school so peace in the house and not constant dishes lol

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes bookworm.. part of my budget is always sales and discount stuff cus stuff going up and up. last time got tuna caselot sale 6.99 for 6. but ds is on a lunch meat kick can't get lunchmeat that cheap anymore 2.00 a 100 grams (just under 1/4lb) I got for black forest ham which makes a couple sandwiches. why I get dagwood sandwiches for them cus costs the same or else if in the store have 1/2 inch or more meat and cheese etc. funny who knows blondie and dagwood anymore lol
ordered grocery delivery not cheap $10 cus I tip $5 but get the cheapest delivery $4.95 but keeps me out of the store and wants $150 later will see what I get..mostly dairy milk etc, cheese, yogurt, bakery, lunchmeat, the good ramen is on sale so ordered 6 diff types hopefully keeps him full and out of the expensive stuff for second dinners etc. cus why don't teens eat more fruit instead. not into pb sandwiches.

made the cranberry choc chip oatmeal mix from the charity ..good but kids not eating it so I am eating them for breakfast. they put in rice krispies instead of nuts cus I guess wanted to make life easier for them. dh can't eat them cus of the oats. so like breakfast cookies w dried fruit, oats, rice krispies. good w coffee.

will use up some frozen pasta and one of the many jars of pasta sauce to go with the homemade stuff for dinner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My pantry challenge is about to get... challenging. One of my kids tested positive for COVID, so we're all on quarantine right now (I'm on paid quarantine leave until the 18th, so at least there's some income). Fortunately I have my "sick kit" stocked up with Gatorade and chicken soup and disinfecting wipes!

I'm out of some essentials, like milk and half & half. Made do this morning with some powdered coffee creamer in the pantry, but I did place a grocery pickup order for milk and greens and easy proteins (frozen meatballs, smoked sausage, chicken patties). I'm still going to focus on eating down the pantry, but wanted to have the easy stuff on hand just in case I end up sick myself.

Had a casserole out of the freezer last night, one that we made from some of that leftover turkey meat. I hadn't expected to eat it so soon, but it was nice to have an easy dinner after the day went sideways. Thinking about making something with the chorizo tonight, although I already used up the potatoes. I'm thinking about using this recipe instead: Chorizo Rice. I don't have any saffron, but I think I can skip that part.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yikes been there myself hugs. yes you need easy meals..I think always to make life easier. I did send dh though the mcd drive through for smoothies a few times for me. but that is all contactless they never got covid was may and nice so keep doors open a lot and the kids weren't near me..teens lol dh didn't stay away lol

popped allergy pill and not much sleep so if kids don't want to make banana pancakes for dinner .. chicken strips/fries/peas out of the freezer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Going through my freezers a few minutes ago... I have a LOT of bacon stashed in there. Does anyone have any ideas for using bacon in a main dish? There's always breakfast for dinner, of course, but I'm going to get burned out on that pretty quickly. I can probably do some pasta carbonara one night, as I have some frozen peas too.

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
@spiderdust carbonara is one of our favorites, too. Tonight I'm doing bean and bacon soup, can of white beans, chicken broth, celery and onion, etc. BLTs if you have the lettuce and tomato. Quiche if you have eggs. Add it to potato salad or mac&cheese.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well bacon doesn't last here lol but perogies and bacon that is a pound there, or blt's or grilled cheese and bacon or other sandwiches. I made some the other day and had some at 130am for a snack lol well pantry fail.. well ds came home and used the bananas that were for pancakes in a big smoothie ..he makes it in a big measuring cup. and he ate the rest of the pasta..dinner sized.. so texted dh to get the pizza from our local family place..lots of cheese etc. and they can use it for lunches ..ds had that too. only place that actually can fill up a teen boy within a few slices.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Bacon is a fine meat in a casserole! Or with some beans and potatoes. Also excellent on potato soup. There is a new appetizer at a local restaurant. Stuff a hot pepper with a bit of peanut butter, wrap it in bacon and put it in the oven or under the broiler and when it is crispy/roasted, use a little thinned jam or jelly or some other sweet as the sauce. Pretty amazing. and low effort.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts