Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

Registered
Spiderdust-- when we had to quarantine last year (H got sick, and the rest of us were grounded by association...) we found that contactless delivery was helpful. Walmart was able to load stuff into our trunk while we stayed in the cabin, and McD's will bring things out to your car, then we just held up a note explaining that we were quarantined and please set it it on the ground and we got it after they went back in...

But- in addition to everyone else's delicious bacon suggestions, a big one here is a bacon pasta salad-- aka "Pasta, peas, and bacon." Exactly how it sounds, with mayonnaise (NOT miracle whip), parmesan cheese, and a bit of garlic salt...

--
And in unrelated news... allow me to whine... We were gifted a "breakfast basket" for Christmas by well-intentioned relatives... and today I tried the "just-add-water" pancake mix. Blech. I think I will make up the rest and feed it to the chickens ;P That is still using it up!!! 馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
that pasta salad sounds yummy ..dh has a thing about peas so ... lol I don't think I made pancakes from scratch for years. but then don't make them much. but you can add stuff to it like vanilla , more eggs to make it more crepey. or mashed bananas, blueberries etc..all stuff I have done. haven't tried but adding cottage cheese to add protein. dutch pancakes are more like crepes so I prefer them that way.

depending on when the grocery delivery is.. either frozen mac n cheese w veggies or frozen fries/chicken cus not into cooking this week.

Registered
I hear you on the "just add water" pancake mixes. But sometimes they work with eggs and some fat and some fruit as a coffee cake. But what isn't good under a struessel topping?

My skillet bread is coming along! Managed to make some that even toasted this morning!! It is thick so I broke it in halves like an english muffin and toasted it up with some of the failed cranberry jelly I made. Side of eggs straight from the chicken. Not bad.

I had more skillet/ bannock for lunch but already ate it. That leaves my lentil soup with mushrooms and lots of hot pepper. I like hot pepper. Getting used to eating more beans and lentils (using up the pantry does that) but was still glad no one else had come to the gym this morning during my work out...was touch and go a couple of times while I was doing squats!!

Oh...my dad's trick for those "just add water" pancake mixes was lots of oil in the pan (probably bacon grease) AND he would use a can of fruit flavor soda instead of the water. Gaggy sweet but kids love it. I add cinnamon and nutmeg for some flavor, and throw in an egg or two that it doesn't call for and a tablespoon of oil.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
don't think the pancake mixes I get are just add water think oil or melted butter, water and eggs but I taught the kids to add milk instead.
well between yesterdays grocery order and then to safeway with my mom stocked! . plus walmart..cheapest creamo but a dessert and popcorn twists jumped into there too. plus some clearance xmas smarties boxes for next year stockings. keep in cold spot..not america smarties..those are called rockets here. more like m&m's. clearance shirt for dh and nightgowns too for me and dd. so definitely stocked up.

the sub for dry cat food was some healthy brand of cat food instead of purina. cats don't eat sweet potatoes etc. mine don't like fancy lol only kept one cus needed some dry and hadn't planned on going to safeway today or the whiskas I ordered from amazon came today instead of the delivery date of a week or more away.

got sliced ham at safeway so that w frozen mac and cheese and a bag of frozen carrots for dinner. ds made pancakes for dinner. he is in a eating mode still...as he is having a sandwich after 11pm 3rd dinner lol

Registered
I made some savory muffins in the toaster oven at work this morning (I get here an hour before work starts for various reasons so might as well use the time). Paired it with some smoked salmon for breakfast. Not a normal breakfast but all pantry stuff! I'm using a vinaigrette someone gave me for xmas (her homemade stuff) for fat in the muffins. Not bad.

Registered
I keep shopping just to keep pantry stocked. Just returned from Target pickup, got my order. Cruised through grocery part of store intending to get milk - nope, cleaned out except goat milk and the almond stuff. I have dry milk and evaporated on hand for a few recipes. Did get a big container of greek yogurt and some frozen meatballs (easy).
Z - you might contact the company and let them know their product is awful, maybe they will try to make it right. Nothing to lose.

Registered
Last night we had "haystacks" for dinner. Every time I talk about these on various sites, someone always asks me about them, so I'm just linking the Wikipedia page that talks about haystacks here: Haystack (food). In a nutshell, they are an "assemble on your own plate" type of dish with a starchy base (or a lettuce base, depending on who is trying to lower their carb intake) topped with protein, veggies, and other toppings. It's a great way to use up little bits of things in the fridge, and it's also a good meal for a lot of picky eaters.

Items I set out for last night's haystack assembly included shredded turkey meat in cream sauce (from the freezer), lettuce, leftover vegetable fried rice, chopped bell peppers, black olives, diced avocado, tomatoes, sugar snap peas, green onion, carrots, cucumber, refried beans, salsa, shredded cheddar cheese, red & green tortilla chips (leftover from New Year's Eve and in great need of using up), crunchy chow mein noodles, sliced almonds, sauteed kale, sour cream, leftover chicken gravy (from a few nights ago), and I made some chicken flavored rice (because there wasn't quite enough fried rice leftover for everyone).

On my plate, I had fried rice topped with the kale, turkey, snap peas, green onions, bell peppers, and a few crunchy noodles as a garnish. In comparison, my 5-year-old arranged his plate as a "dip plate", with refried beans, turkey mixed with shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, tomatoes, and he treated each little pile as a dip that he scooped up with tortilla chips. I think he may have also eaten some snap peas as well.

Breakfast this morning has been eggs and bagels. I now have two children who have tested positive for COVID, but everyone else is coming back negative. Looks like the only ones in the house who caught it were the ones who had the least chance for the vaccine to do its stuff (the 11-year-old who had only gotten 1 shot so far, who in turn exposed his 5-year-old brother during his 2 week post-vaccination period). Fortunately, the sick kids aren't feeling very sick, but we're still staying quarantined until at least the 18th.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
yikes well hopefully no one else gets it and hopefully you have a backyard or walk around a quiet block for some outdoor time.
neat term haystacks! heard leftover buffet or build your own..mostly for scouts or guides when feeding a lot of kids.
since I was meeting friend at mall food court ended up at dollar store so got some cheaper things there like comet, coconut dare cookies and maria tea cookies for dh. brown sugar etc. then stopped at main grocery store cus deal of the week half price shredded cheese so got 4 for freezer. leftovers fend for yourself dinner tonight.

Registered
So far this week I've used a flavored rice mix, can of beans, can of anchovies, box of mac&cheese, leftover half a can of pineapple, and finished off a box of stuffing. Today we'll use a can of tuna and open a can of vegetable soup. Next week rice, taco shells, barley, coconut milk, and a jar of tomato sauce will get used.

Reactions: marthamfi

Registered
Z - you might contact the company and let them know their product is awful, maybe they will try to make it right. Nothing to lose.
It is not a brand I had ever heard of... one of those weird brands that turn up in gift baskets because they are "unique"... Alas, my mother (who doesn't like pancakes) has "gifted" me her box of mix plus the bottle of syrup that came with it... gee, thanks, Mom... 馃ぃ 馃槣 I haven't tried the syrup (we have tons already,) so I can take that to the food bank with plausible deniability... but I cannot inflict that mix on strangers, so I will have to figure something out... maybe I'll cut it half-and-half with (homemade) bisquick, then add the eggs, oil, etc...

Meanwhile, we used up the last of the homemade "bisquick" yesterday, so now that the deep freezer is defrosted, I'll put making more of that on my to-do list for (hopefully) tomorrow... The recipe makes 8 cups at a time, so I was thinking of making a double batch and storing it in the freezer (to prevent grain moths-- I keep extra flour there, too) for when I inevitably run out at exactly the wrong moment...

It is nice to finally have a little time to think about re-stocking after the craziness of the past few months years... I even have a snack or two in the car to help with drive-thru temptations (the goal is two cubbies-- one for me, one for the kids-- PACKED.... but it's been a while since that has been reality... they can wipe out an entire stash in a 5-minute car ride lately... 馃榿 DD14 is here next to me now, demanding cuddles because she ate 6 rice cakes at once, and (shockingly) now has a stomachache... :rolleyes:馃ぃ And with that, I sign off, quick, before she turns evil again...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
well someone may like it the pancake mix just for the fact just add water. Made potato leek soup today w pantry stuff. had bacon end bits I got cheap from freezer just right amount for soup. got last pack of hotdogs from freezer too. stopped and got milk, creamo and dh kcups. in discount area there was elf on the shelf xmas cereal on clearance for .99 cents so got one. kids are what..said cheap lol

Registered
I finished up my pine nuts...Harare to see them go but they had been around for a year already (still in perfect condition roasted in the shell.

Started using up this stupid tiny jar of arrowroot powder by using it to thicken some corn meal mush with walnuts and maple syrup. Best breakfast so far in 2022

Still no need to run restock. Crazy to go 6 weeks and just make it halfway through my pantry when I thought I only had enough for a month! The 2 month pantry challenge is a real education

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
dh had bought one of those red lobster costco size biscuit mixes cus I like red lobster but can't get it anywhere near here. not worth it but the thought was there bisquick and garlic salt is what it is. so made two of the packs to go with the soup today. you have to add the cheese so used up rest of a bag of shredded cheese. ds is going to practical school this week early so he has to make a lunch so lunch meat etc all getting used up. dd got another loaf today.

Registered
DOH!!!!! I had a jar of honey (local...from a cedar grove...sigh). My boss, a tribe elder, just came by to see if I had honey so they could make traditional medicines for some elders (that won't be quite as bitter as the old-timey traditional meds) and did I have any honey?? DAMN! I mean, I'm glad for someone to use it as medicine. As for my pantry challenge, that was 75% of my remaining sweetener stock!!! I have a bit of maple syrup left. And some stevia but if I try to cook with the stevia, it goes bitter.
I think this local raw stuff will work fine for them and I hope the elders who need the meds get well! I have plenty of calories and probably should cut back on the sugar anyway. Just odd to have that happen.

As for an update: I made a smoked salmon pilaf with some of my rye berries...and dried mushrooms and the last bit of fresh garlic along with some various spices and herbs. DELICIOUS!!! Ate it all in 2 meals on the same day. Darn it.

I have 3 jars of really nice chicken stock from last time I helped butcher chickens. I think those, with some of the dried veg soup base and maybe the top of the carrot I've been regrowing (tastes like parsley) will make a nice egg drop soup.

I'm getting better at keto skillet bread and nearly 3/4 through the almond flour and coconut flour stocks. Good! I had too much.
And I found a can of tomato paste and one of diced tomatoes still in the work pantry! Cool. More soup?
Or make noodles and pasta sauce? Probably soup. Easier. With some garbanzos and that veggie mix.

Still have a good sized squash from the garden too. Not going to get everything eaten up before the end of January, the official end of my 2 month pantry challenge.

I did have a friend stop by with a loaf of rye bread from the 2nd harvest distribution yesterday. She doesn't care for rye. It's a bit stale so I used it as toast under my tangy garbanzo beans for lunch.

I honestly have so much left, I could go a few more weeks. I don't know if I will.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
nice! smoked salmon sounds yummy. used up two sm packs of marinated chicken thighs for rice leek chicken dish.. tacos yesterday so shredded cheese used up and some wraps. the taco shells expired last may so smelt rancid..crows breakfast today. did hit the bakery for bread etc, bought premade sandwiches etc too. but w ds etc most gone. eating machine so ramen, lunchmeat, cereal etc. apparently one of the hamburger packages fell out of freezer when I got the wraps from there. dh found it hours later..still was cold so put in fridge if smells tomorrow then to the crows.

had breakfast out and bought chinese food for dinner.

Registered
the taco shells expired last may so smelt rancid..crows breakfast today.
This will sound weird... but I am SO jealous you have crows-friends! I have heard they are smart. Our local ones are smart enough to mostly stay out of the neighborhoods (with cats) and hang a couple of miles away near the fast food stops by the highway. You have inspired me to keep a bit of cat food in my car for when I see them, but what I really want is a clever crow that visits me at home and brings me shiny things... is that so much to ask? 馃ぃ

I did have a friend stop by with a loaf of rye bread from the 2nd harvest distribution yesterday. She doesn't care for rye. It's a bit stale so I used it as toast under my tangy garbanzo beans for lunch.
I lovvvveee toasted rye bread with butter... even better is the pumpernickel swirl stuff!

That reminds me, I have some old bread in the freezer I need to start toasting for breakfast (It's white bread with red and blue berries, if that gives you an idea of HOW old...) One of our local churches got so much back in July that they couldn't give it all away with at their regular pantry and were handing out at the thrift shop!

I unearthed that today, which I guess means I am making a LITTLE progress on the upstairs freezer... not that it is not still TOTAL chaos in there... I have made 3 soups in 2 days, including pulling out half a loaf of french bread... and it STILL is landslide waiting to happen!!!

I also unearthed a bag of frozen wing pieces that is now thawing in the fridge for the hot wings that were already on the menu for tomorrow, so that's something I don't have to buy now-- hooray!

Registered
dog2 HATES crows and will charge them on leash and bark in the house if he even hears them cawing outside. It's a real nuisance because they are everywhere. I think I now have a good recipe for yeast gingerbread. The first recipe called for applesauce instead of butter and that loaf stuck in the pan horribly. Found identical recipe replacing applesauce with butter and it's fine. Toasted with cream cheese.

Registered
I鈥檓 going to jump in here. My FIL passed away in July, 2020. He had a ton of food in the house so we split it between us and my SIL. I鈥檓 on quarantine (ends today) for COVID but I made a huge pot of lentil soup using 3 carrots in my veggie drawer, and 5 packets of Knorr chicken tubs from Dad鈥檚 pantry. Also used an opened bag of lentils that just had half left along with another full bag. Lucky I had an onion to add to it but no celery. Feel like I got rid of somethings that were hanging out in the pantry. Put 3 small-ish bags in the freezer and will eat the rest for lunch when I go back to work this week.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts