Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am planning some gingery duck pilaf, then made into soup (just add water!) OR smoked duck and chicos (dried corn) stew. can't decide if I should use the smoked duck or a jar of duck first. Maybe the smoked because it takes up space in the work freezer and I am using more space in there than my real share.

Chickens still laying an egg or 2 a day so breakfasts are generally eggs or egg based things like homemade pancakes.
I broke out the maple syrup a couple days ago so probably pancakes this weekend.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I brought home a jar of duck meat and some maple syrup from my worknosntry. I have other things at home of course. Tomorrow is almond flour pancakes or stole with syrup for breakfast. Lunch and dinner will be duck soup with noodles or dumplings. Should have leftovers for Sunday or Monday from the soup.

I have been wanting to try a walnut and service berry quick bread so may do that with eggs or s bean dish for the protein one day too.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I got the 'use the weather' habit from my midwestern upbringing. In Iowa we have screened in 3 season porches that are also 1 season freezers. Mom keeps prepped plates of cookies and appetizers out there. If someone comes by from November to early March she heads out and grabs one while the giant pot of coffee brews.
I have some large popcorn tins that I put the food in on my porch-fridge just in case a critter walks by or the door blows open and the chickens get in.

Anyway...meal plans;
Tuesday probably just eggs for breakfast and maybe toaster oven muffins and hummus for lunch.

Tuesday supper is hopefully some smoked salmon pilaf. I have 3 portions of the salmon to eat up before they freezer burn at work.

Weds....eggs and left overs all day.

I did eat duck soup all weekend. It was best today but now it is gone.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well, my weekend plans just changed to "unpredicatable"! Dang it. Was going to crack into a delicious smoked duck, but that means eating the whole thing in a few days because re-freezing is not ideal. A friend I still owe xmas dinner too wants to meet up for that dinner on sunday. That's great, but means I better post pone the big duck! So, either mainly eggs this weekend, with beans/lentils and maybe tuna. Also good options. I also won't start the squash this weekend as it is pretty big and I was going to cook it up sunday and portion for the week. I will just wait on it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I checked my pantry stock
Planning to make smoked duck with chicos )dried parched corn) and some soup. Should get 3 meals of each. Bake up a squash to eat straight one day, then as a fritter and some into muffins.

Only sweetener left is maple syrup so will see how that goes in the muffins. Haven't baked with it before

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am less organized, but I have 1) precooked for a few meals and 2) have smoked duck soup in a thermos that I can't open!!! I am hoping someone stronger than me shows up to work and we can get it open. Warming it up now to try to break the suction holding it jammed closed. Funny.
The new cooking was a serviceberry bread for breakfast. I split it like an english muffin, toasted it up and put some maple syrup on it with a bit of olive oil (no butter) It was really good!

For lunch/supper besides the trapped soup, I made lentil/rye berry pilaf with a can of artichoke hearts someone gave me for xmas, the last of the garlic (the few cloves I found in the bottom of the work fridge veggie draw last week), and some of my dried garden herbs and a few other seasonings. It is really good. If I can get the soup open, I may add it to half the pilaf for a really hearty flavory mix. I used the last tin of tomatoes in the soup with a jar of frozen ginger fermented carrots and a few ounces of smoked duck (that duck did NOT have much meat so I am saving the fat in my skillet and will render it down when I'm done picking the bones...don't know if I will do a broth or stock with the carcass. I have so much bone broth still in the pantry, I may just throw it out to the chickens)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well, I PLANNED on making elk and quinoa pilaf for work lunches this week. And I did that this a.m. then I ate it for breakfast and lunch! Oops. I am a victim of how delicious it was. I love elk meat.

So... back to lentils maybe. They are good but not so good I will eat the whole batch all at once... I hope! I am thinking a spicy lentil soup to have with muffins or biscuits.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I precooked for today and that helped. Had another quinoa pilaf. Was hoping to stretch it through tomorrow but clearly I am underestimating how much I eat! For tomorrow I have a head of lettuce to eat up and will need to add boiled eggs or soup to that or both... so I have enough to eat.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I made tomato soup for today! (tomato paste, fried onion, and some dried veggie soup mix). I also made some muffins to go with it this AM in the office toaster oven but then I ate them...good thing I only made a few!

Zhoen: I will give the short answer here. I have blogged about it too if you want the long answer. https://simplicityandfrugality.blogspot.com/2021/02/notes-on-woodstove-cookery.html
I have a flat top on my little woodstove which is made (by someone else!) from the tank out of a water heater. I also have a little butane stove (actually 2 now, both free acquisitions) for a quick heat up or egg fry when the wood stove isn't heated up. And various outdoor systems.
On the woodstove, I just boil up the beans/lentils in a heavy pan, either the cast iron dutch oven or a thrift store enamelware soup pot. If I'm adding quinoa then I throw that in way at the end. Brown rice goes in when there is maybe 30min left, and rye berries or wheat berries can go in anytime. they never get mushy. If I am being fancy I fry an onion or garlic cloves in the pan first and toast the beans/grains in that first. I also have a small pressure cooker I have started using to can pints of beans from dry. Then I have jars of beans cooked and ready to go.
I generally fire up the woodstove when I get home from work on a cold day. It will be super hot for a while, like 30min to 2 hours depending on how much heat I need to add to the wee shed. If I need to "lower the heat" I have a simmer mat (also from thrift) to shove under the pan. This works amazingly well. It will cook on low for ages on that mat. When the stove isn't running I can boil the stuff up on the butane stove and then put it in a preheated thermos and let it "cook" in there for a few hours and reheat if needed to finish it. Saves fuel.
In the summer, solar cookers are ideal for beans/grains cooking since it is a long boil but won't scorch in my solar boiler.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Z: thanks!i don't think many people read the blog. It is mostly just for me. I do like to write when I assume no one is reading it

After a few sugar binges this week I have a meal plan for the weekend;
Tomato veggie soup made with a can of tomato paste, an onion and a bag of mixed veggies (actually broccoli cabbage slaw mix from the 'reduced for quick sale' bin at the store. Should be plenty for Saturday and half of Sunday.
For breakfasts I have 'reduced for quick sale' bananas to make banana egg pancakes (1 banana and 2 eggs, fry)

I also grabbed a water kefir beverage to boost the probiotics in my stomach after the sugar binge. My best friend at work has sworn off sugar to deal with her diabetes so I think she and I will be seeking healthy meal options, hoping she will bring her installer to work so we can cook rather than go out. Her first week on her new food plan and her blood sugars dropped to the normal range!! She hasn't seen that in 20+ years. I am so happy for her. And to have a colleague in a healthy eating quest

1 - 14 of 14 Posts