Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
wow you guys planned ! not me lol just in general. did pick up some more frozen pizzas for easy meal. what I remember this week...

pasta, takeout pizza, pancakes, ham w/ frozen mac n cheese, frozen carrots so far this week. tomorrow dh is out so will be whatever they want.

bought potatoes to make leek and potato soup sometime this weekend. have fresh leeks to use up. rest depends on mood and tastes. cus lots of options. tacos, stirfry, maybe crockpot something. bought a frozen lemon and garlic shrimp kit too so maybe that. why I like winter doesn't matter if oven is on easy cooking.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I brought home a jar of duck meat and some maple syrup from my worknosntry. I have other things at home of course. Tomorrow is almond flour pancakes or stole with syrup for breakfast. Lunch and dinner will be duck soup with noodles or dumplings. Should have leftovers for Sunday or Monday from the soup.

I have been wanting to try a walnut and service berry quick bread so may do that with eggs or s bean dish for the protein one day too.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Welp... This week was 0/0 for us doing what was actually planned!!! 🤣 I'm blaming H's surgery...but also 2 teens with PMS, etc...

Tonight I made pastitsio (like a greek lasagna-esque casserole) that was scheduled for later this week just because the weather is yucky and it is a very cozy recipe... so we will have leftovers from that at some point, and I might drive some over to my niece/sister who like it in the next day or so...

Shout-out to MAGGIE TRU for mentioning a while back about using the cold weather outside as a natural freezer... You inspired me! It was below freezing here this morning, so I quickly defrosted my deep freezer while all the stuff sat on a table just outside (or the chickens would have assumed it was for them...) Worked great!!!

The big freezer's still not quite organized, but better, and hopefully now I can move some stuff out of the regular (overfilled and chaotic) freezer and do a better inventory of what we have to use up. Meanwhile, now that it is better, I allowed myself to stock back up on a few convenience items, which helps with my anxiety and will hopefully cut down on the crazy food-ordering that has been going on around here lately (H can't drive post-surgery quite yet, and is too lazy "sore" to cook, so yeah, it's been BAD... doordash is the devil...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
convenience is a mom's friend! as I reheated the carrots that still no one really ate so outside they went. plus a bag of chicken strips and tater tots for dinner last night. made potato and leek soup today but not sure if kids ate any when we were at movies. defrosted hotdogs too. know family ate hotdogs for dinner. we had nachos at the movies..nope not a good idea..just some buttered bread for me for dinner. so soup tomorrow with sandwiches I think.. will see.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I got the 'use the weather' habit from my midwestern upbringing. In Iowa we have screened in 3 season porches that are also 1 season freezers. Mom keeps prepped plates of cookies and appetizers out there. If someone comes by from November to early March she heads out and grabs one while the giant pot of coffee brews.
I have some large popcorn tins that I put the food in on my porch-fridge just in case a critter walks by or the door blows open and the chickens get in.

Anyway...meal plans;
Tuesday probably just eggs for breakfast and maybe toaster oven muffins and hummus for lunch.

Tuesday supper is hopefully some smoked salmon pilaf. I have 3 portions of the salmon to eat up before they freezer burn at work.

Weds....eggs and left overs all day.

I did eat duck soup all weekend. It was best today but now it is gone.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just found this thread and thought I’d join in. I’ve been planning weekly menus for us for a few months now and find it really saves on the grocery bill because I comb through the pantry and freezer and use items we already have. We do eat out twice a week - once in a restaurant and one night we pick up take out and head home to watch a movie.

Meals for this week have been (and will be):

Cheesy meatball sliders and air fried potatoes
Instant Pot baked beans and popovers
Chicken piccata

The other four days are leftovers and our planned eat out days. I’ve found building in the leftover days means I don’t forget stuff in the fridge ( which I’ve done in the past and I hate to waste food).

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
This coming weeks plan is
lasagna, will need to buy some kind of cheese, and cottage cheese. Will add layer of spinach I have. with garlic bread made with bread we have
chili
Another egg bake, frozen hash browns , peppers, onions, italian breakfast sausage I have on hand
Still working on a blueberry crumble I made so no desserts planned.
Mom's treating us to pork chop supper tommorrow.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well, my weekend plans just changed to "unpredicatable"! Dang it. Was going to crack into a delicious smoked duck, but that means eating the whole thing in a few days because re-freezing is not ideal. A friend I still owe xmas dinner too wants to meet up for that dinner on sunday. That's great, but means I better post pone the big duck! So, either mainly eggs this weekend, with beans/lentils and maybe tuna. Also good options. I also won't start the squash this weekend as it is pretty big and I was going to cook it up sunday and portion for the week. I will just wait on it.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Can you believe it has only been 4 weeks since Christmas?

-- brats, potatoes, zucchini
-- chicken curry, rice, vegs
-- tuna nicoise salad
-- ham and potato soup, stuffed mushrooms
-- l/o bbq, corn, beans, cucumber salad
-- chicken wings, spinach
-- fish sandwiches, fries
-- pork chops, veg

·
Registered
682 Posts
This menu plan for this week starts tomorrow:
Chicken Parm Lasagna
Homemade pizza
Sweet Hawaiian Crockpot chicken

the rest of the week is leftovers of the above and includes two meals out.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I checked my pantry stock
Planning to make smoked duck with chicos )dried parched corn) and some soup. Should get 3 meals of each. Bake up a squash to eat straight one day, then as a fritter and some into muffins.

Only sweetener left is maple syrup so will see how that goes in the muffins. Haven't baked with it before

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Can you believe it has only been 4 weeks since Christmas?
Bless youx1000!!! for saying that... since I just today finally was able to get up on the roof and get down our Christmas lights, which are now in the middle of the room waiting to be bundled neatly and put up in the attic. That does not excuse the fact that my rotting pumpkins remain on the porch, though ... (but in my defense, a LOT of people around here seem to have that going on this year...)

The week in review= better than last week (not saying much) and at least we didn't order anything...

17- Cheeseburger macaroni leftover pastitsio, and WOW was H mad... he actually LIKES Hamburger helper...🤮
18- * Peking "duck"
19- Pastitsio Salisbury steak and pierogies-- special request from my little COVID prisoner...
20- Lemon-Basil Pork chops
21- Clam Chowder vegetable beef soup
22- Hot wings and salad frozen pizza, fried mushrooms
23- Quiche Frozen Stouffers mac n cheese from the convenience food stash, because I am sad and do not want to cook. That is what it is there for!

Not looking forward to chili tomorrow... just not something I really love... but looking forward to the southwestern eggrolls on Tuesday...

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Zhoen, the lights in my sewing room (front facing window) are still up. Hey at least you got dinner on the table every night!

I had to scratch the chicken curry again. It's not that hard, but I've been extra fatigued this week. So it's plain baked chicken with rice-a-roni, and a 15 minute nap on the couch.

Reactions: Zhoen
21 - 35 of 35 Posts