Frugal Village Forums banner
121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Haven't had much appetite this week so some things got bumped. Have a rather skimpy plan for the coming week, as I'm not sure we'll be up for large meals.

-- teriyaki chicken over rice, snow peas from the garden
-- pork chops, red potatoes
-- frozen veggie pizza dressed up with ham or salami
-- chicken something, broccoli?
-- grilled hot dogs
-- ??
-- chicken again

Got lettuce coming in from the garden now, so we'll be eating that, along with the snow peas.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
909 Posts
I. Working on our meal plan for the week. Dh requested baked beans. Those usually last us three days or so. I am also doing marinated London Broil. I haven’t planned anything else as we have relatives coming to visit and they said they’d like to take us out for dinner.

I’ve got eggs and bacon and a couple of frozen meals we can pick from if we need it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wed, Jun 01 Pancakes with applesauce
Thu, Jun 02 Noodles with fried mushrooms
Fri, Jun 03 stuffed zucchini
Sat, Jun 04 Fried vegetables with potato dumplings, Light tiramisu
Sun, Jun 05 Salmon with gnocchi, salad

Mon, Jun 06 Sausage salad with fried potatoes
Tue, Jun 07 Pizza soup Yoghurt with rhubarb
Wed, Jun 08 Kaiserschmarrn with applesauce
Thu, Jun 09 Farmer's breakfast
Fri, Jun 10 Matjes salad with beetroot and potatoes
Sat, Jun 11 Pasta with spinach and cooked ham sauce
Sun, Jun 12 Bratwurst, sauerkraut and potatoes

Mon, Jun 13 Apricot dumplings with brown butter and brown cinnamon sugar
Tue, Jun 14 Noodle soup Elderflower pudding with rhubarb
Wed, Jun 15 Mashed potatoes and gherkin sticks
Thu, Jun 16 Noodles with hot tomatoes Baked apples with vanilla sauce
Fri, Jun 17 Fish, potatoes, cucumber salad
Sat, Jun 18 Turkey, tomato and pepper pan with rice paella style
Sun 19 Jun Peppers stuffed with quinoa and red lentils, fresh tomato sauce

Mon, Jun 20 Tomato soup with red lentil bread
Tue, Jun 21 Chicken curry with coconut milk and rice
Wed Jun 22 Pizza
Thu, Jun 23 Noodle with chicken giblets in tomato sauce
Fri, Jun 24 Potato salad with white sausage
Sat, Jun 25 Rice pudding with rhubarb compote
Sun, Jun 26 Goulash with dumplings and cauliflower

Mon, Jun 27 Creamy cauliflower soup croutons
Tue, June 28 Fake bratwurst with potatoes and carrots and parsnips
Wed, Jun 29 Potatoes with quark and seasonal herbs
Thu, Jun 30 Pea falafel salad and yoghurt sauce

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Continuing to not have much energy for cooking, and using what is on hand for simple meals:

-- potluck (corn salad)
-- grilled chicken, veg or salad
-- l/o bbq sandwich
-- mac w/ham
-- smoked chicken, veg
-- brats
-- dirty rice, salad
-- take out (Father's day)
-- take out (Chinese)

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Sounds good Hikr. This is the rough plan for next week. Heat wave continues. I need to do a restock on fresh staples midweek.

-- teriyaki chicken over rice, bok choy
-- take out
-- ??, spinach
-- fish, turnips
-- dirty rice, salad
-- tacos, beans

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hello, Frugals!

This month, I am trying to use up some expired pantry items as well as teetering-on-the-edge fresh items... it's miserable!!! I marvel at how y'all power through your pantry challenges... not me... BUT... all the reports say that "reducing demand/spending" is part of reducing inflation (with the caveat that if we reduce too much=recession... but then maybe a very slight recession might be the reset we need, blah, blah, blah...)

At any rate, before I go on my next round of panic-restocking, I have to use up the stuff that is too old to donate so that when society collapses, my emergency hamburger helper is "fresh" 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 😜 🤣😜😜

So to that end... tonight was beef stew using up 2 pints of broth I had put up at some point, some carrots that were pushing the limits, and lots of pantry items, all over rice that DD18 made wayyy too much of yesterday. That was followed by post-date pudding mix made with use-it-or-lose-it milk... I am trying to look at this as "we have ridiculous abundance," rather than "seriously? just toss it!!!"

DD18 made a pot of tea last night that we never drank, so I have been drinking that with ice all day instead of my usual coke zero...

H has a 12-shift on Sunday, so we are doing Father's Day tomorrow, and for that I am making blueberry muffins for breakfast, also baking brownies at the same time, and also making devilled eggs to go with the bbq riblets we will do for dinner-- all to use up eggs that have been around a bit too long (but not floating yet...) I also have some dodgy cucumbers that I'll cut the bad parts out of and make creamy cucumbers for a side... then probably make cucumber water from the peels...

Then Sunday will be leftovers... NOT inspiring :( But it's for the best, right?

·
Registered
909 Posts
This week I’ve got baked ziti on the menu. I asked dh what he might like and he suggested breakfast sandwiches one night and cranberry orange waffles another night. He’s into breakfast for dinner this week!

The rest of the week is making sure we use up any leftovers of the above items and we usually go out another or two.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Hardly did any cooking last week because things went haywire, but we did at least finish all the leftovers from take-out. Have a rough plan for this week, will fill in the details as we go. This is all from the freezer or fridge, may add more vegs after I go shopping.

-- tuna or egg salad
-- dirty rice, salad
-- chicken?, fresh spring rolls
-- fish, veg or salad
-- burgers
-- teriyaki chicken, rice, bok choy

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Zhoen take heart w pantry challenges cus we have picky/allergy/teens etc in the house and not enough to fight over the food lol Like a friend said if you have a bunch kids 6 or more you eat what you get or nothing left. At the least if it makes you look at what you have and you use somethings up then all good. pantry challenges can be about stocking up too.

Just back from Costco run wow prices have gone up there too though a few things are definitely on the want list like hawkins cheesies but at least cheaper there and will last..nothing like going though there going well if we got it would have to tell ds not to eat or gone in a minute. but got the san pellegrino for me anyways. they are getting pop so works out. definitely stocked up so options.

has been pasta and hotdogs plus sandwiches around here for dinner for the last few days. smokies/fries one night. so will be again tonight w heat though I may make a salad for me. veggies need to used up. cake mixes etc too.
Ideas .. need to point around freezer.

chinese dumpling soup w frozen orange chicken
butter chicken
hotdogs/smokies/bbq ribs w sides liptons? french fries ? couscous .. will see.
pasta w shrimp some ideas.
tacos

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Managed to stick to the plan. Still spent a crazy amount this week for basics, some things in larger packages are cheaper that way. Trying to avoid heating up the place, so simple cold food, reheating stuff, easy meals, etc. This is all out of the fridge:

-- ham or chicken salad sandwiches
-- pork chops, corn on the cob
-- bbq brisket, baked beans, corn
-- big salad
-- mac or spaghetti, broccoli
-- pulled pork sandwiches, corn
-- chicken, veg or salad

·
Registered
909 Posts
We are leaving tomorrow for a week at the lake. I prepped food for us to take for the week. It’s my vacation too and I don’t want to spend it cooking. I made a pot roast w/ potatoes etc, grilled a dozen burgers and put them in the buns and bagged them up. I also made baked beans and bought hot dogs and hot dog buns. We can decide what we want each day and I blacked microwave safe paper plates and bowls. We can just microwave what we want and toss the plates. I made muffins and cooked a couple of pounds of bacon and bagged that all up. I’m packing sliced ham, cheese and turkey for sandwiches so we should have plenty to eat. It’s a lot of work getting it all together before we leave but it just makes the vacation so much more enjoyable having it all done before we get there.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Smart Hikr! dh likes to bring those frozen burgers for lunch but don't buy them much cus $$. he eats enough of them.

well since not much cooking happened last week cus kids all doing own thing so many of the same things on the menu. was lots of sandwiches and hotdogs.

last night hotdogs and burgers w salad
ribs, boxed scalloped potatoes and frozen carrots
pulled frozen french onion soup and philly cheesesteak for meals.

want to make asian salad to use up green onions peas etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sigh. Husband's week to cook, which means he meal plans not as healthy food and then shops without taking stock of what we have. It's infuriating because it leads to food waste or I feel compelled to use his leftovers or duplicates ($$ we don't need to spend!) and then don't get to cook what I want to. I'm trying to relax about it, and make sure I put in requests for my healthy stuff so it's at least in the house, but I hate using frozen corn (and apparently so does he because we now have TEN BAGS in the freezer).LOL I can't complain too much, I am thrilled he shares those duties with me.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Saturday I decided to use a bit of hubby's deli lunch meat and cheese to make a sandwich. Usually I don't eat his "stuff" but there wasn't much else readily available. I observed that the cheese was moldy along one edge. He looked into the sandwich he already made & was eating and saw the mold there also. I am seriously thinking whether I want to eat any food he prepares or not. He pays very little attention to what he is doing or what is going on around him.
Vexed - I see recipes for corn smoothies.....

121 - 140 of 140 Posts