Frugal Village Forums banner
141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Vexed, frozen corn is good in casseroles, as long as it's not freezer burned. You can use it in place of canned corn in this recipe: Spoon Bread Casserole | "JIFFY" Mix Although, I think that's better served in cooler weather. It also works well in tortilla soup (another cold weather meal) Amazing Chicken Tortilla Soup! Recipe - Food.com

Mid July, hitting the freezer hard:

-- potluck - corn salad
-- grilled chicken thighs, broccoli, tomato bruschetta
-- chili dogs, salad
-- l/o fajita, corn on the cob
-- l/o chicken tenders, broccoli, mashed potatoes, l/o gravy
-- l/o dirty rice, squash fritters

May make some chicken or tuna salad for lunches during the week.

·
Registered
968 Posts
VexedAngel is there a specific reason you don’t like frozen corn? I wasn’t sure whether it was a taste or texture issue. We like it so these suggestions might not be any good but I like to toss it in with potato soup (along with bacon and cheese!), beef stew, pot roast etc. I also like it in shepherds pie but I’m not sure that will hide texture or taste if that’s what the problem is.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
yikes dl! I mean you can cut it off but still don't blame you. Well not following a real plan more winging it day by day. since half the time ds is not home for dinner so what ever the picky ones will eat more. Didn't make the asian salad either but ds ate the veggies that would have gone into it. he makes himself salads etc so works out for getting stuff used up.

we did takeout pizza, hotdogs etc

sunday smokie leftovers w uncle bens mexican rice, salad and broccolini,
monday hotdogs for the gang. I had cheese strings.
today store brand kd and the back bacon ends which is more like ham.

pulled out more lous sliced meat in sauce and a frozen container I think is plain hamburger cooked? will be tacos or something another day.

·
Registered
968 Posts
This week we have / had burgers and fries, chicken pot pie casserole and Hawaiian chicken over rice. The rest of the week is leftovers of the above meals.

The chicken pot pie casserole recipe is a new one for us. It was good but it needed more spice. I switched out the spices they used for poultry seasoning and added some cooked crumbled bacon. It still was a bit bland but I’ve found the Instant Pot does seem to sort of wash out some of the flavors of spices. I’ll make it again but will bump the spices up.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I struggle with meal planning.....if I plan for the week, I never know how I am going feel come that day. Last night a friend stopped by so I had husband get salads from CFL and we had naan bread I heated in the toaster.......It's too hot to cook....but good thing is we have enough salad for tonight.....have some fish I defrosted and will bake that....
I really admire those of you who make a menu and stick to it......

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
I agree, BW, too hot to cook. I've been doing salads, but also freezer leftovers that only need heating in the microwave. I try to use the grill rather than the oven (hot dogs, burgers, chicken thighs) and try to keep dishes simple so I'm not standing for hours, or doing a lot of cleanup after. DH and I don't have picky kids or different schedules, so that helps a lot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
VexedAngel is there a specific reason you don’t like frozen corn? I wasn’t sure whether it was a taste or texture issue. We like it so these suggestions might not be any good but I like to toss it in with potato soup (along with bacon and cheese!), beef stew, pot roast etc. I also like it in shepherds pie but I’m not sure that will hide texture or taste if that’s what the problem is.
Both, I'm just not a huge fan of corn in general--if I do eat it, I prefer it to be on the cob! Or canned. He made a push this week and used 3 bags. LOL

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Going to be a hot hot hot week. Planning stuff I don't have to cook too much.

-- french dip sandwiches
-- take out
-- brats on buns
-- chicken salad
-- spaghetti, salad
-- pulled pork bbq sandwiches
-- ??
-- out

·
Registered
105 Posts
This week, I don’t even remember. My list is in the other room. Trying to strike a balance between healthy and cheap. Got an imperfect foods box and based everything around using it up.

Cod and baked sweet potatoes from IF, frozen corn from freezer
Pasta from IF, homemade sauce from pantry ingredients
This is the one I can’t remember, possibly dried beans and cornbread from pantry?
Salmon, risotto, zucchini all from IF
Frozen pizza for our regular pizza and movie night
Leftovers
Tuna noodle casserole from freezer

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
what is boursin chicken Hikr? What I thought was mole sauce was paste and made a lot so I have a lot of sauce. added veggies and the frozen cooked hamburger so can't freeze it. That was sat dinner. working on the pantry and freezer cus spent a lot on other stuff and plenty in there to use up.

sunday frozen pizzas
cus cool enough seasoned pork buttons bones, cabbage steaks and bag of fries.

pulled out a pack chicken breasts to be a couple of meals.. butter chicken and chicken satay maybe. will see

·
Registered
141 Posts
In Spain, Italy, France, Germany and England there is a heat wave and extreme drought, as well as many forest and bush fires and water shortages in some regions.
I have lots of supplies in the basement so I don't have to cook much.
Most of the time we are not very hungry when it is hot. We like to skip a meal.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
I'm sorry, Miteigenenhaenden, it is awful if you are not used to it or prepared for it. This type of heat is common in some parts of the US and now you know one reason why we use so much electricity. We also eat smaller meals, cold food, and snacks rather than cook like usual. It is nice to have a fan at night if you have trouble sleeping.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I plan our bedtime snacks and lunches right now, too, with 2 school age kids at home for the summer, so guess I could share those, too--trying for quick, easy, fairly healthy but also something they will eat. And I try to make them all work together.

lunches:
quesadillas with baby carrots and mild salsa
pigs in a blanket with apples and leftover corn
meatball bombs (using ground turkey to make the meatballs) and leftover sauce and shredded mozzarella from pasta tonight
PB & J with baby carrots
chicken and veg kabobs with leftover chicken--I remembered what the dinner is I forgot, homemade chicken tenders with some dregs of boxed mashed potatoes we have and--more frozen corn! ;)
2 days of leftovers or a box of mac and cheese

snacks:
quickie tropical fruit salad: canned pears, mango, mandarin oranges, pineapple tidbits--saved the juice from all but mandarin oranges, and am making homemade popsicles for another night
naan with avocado, cucumbers, grape tomatoes
banana pudding parfait (bananas, vanilla pudding, graham crackers)
unsweetened applesauce and graham crackers
popcorn for movie night
homemade banana bread with old bananas from freezer

·
Registered
968 Posts
Marthamfi. Here’s a link for the Boursin Chicken. You can also use the Boursin cheese for other things too. It’s good!

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Another hot week, though not as bad as the most recent one. Still trying for easy meals:

-- salad nicoise, garlic baguette
-- chicken and veg curry over rice
-- turkey tacos, frozen corn, garden salad
-- salmon bowl, cauli rice, edamame, yellow squash
-- chicken tenders, salad
-- out
-- hot dogs, carrot salad
-- grilled chicken (thighs or quarters)
-- BLT sandwiches
-- l/o bbq brisket, beans

I bought fresh bags of bulghur and dal (lentils) and plan to find some new recipes for them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
DH's week to cook, after I make dinner tonight I'm off the hook 'til next week! However, can't do the homemade chicken tenders, so going to punt with some ground beef I forgot we had in the freezer. Still not sure how yet, may just be burgers........never did use the mashed potatoes we had leftover, either. And we have some pasta sauce. Off to investigate to find a recipe!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ended up making sloppy joes and they were a hit.

Still DH's week to cook, but I need to remember to wipe off the bubble liners and gel packs for my Imperfect Foods order that comes today. Then start planning, because I managed to get a lot this week, all less than $2 each.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Made it through July, starting on August:

-- coconut chicken, rice, yellow squash
-- BLT sandwiches
-- top round steak, corn on the cob, red potatoes
-- lemon chicken, rice, veg
-- fish, vegs, leftovers?
-- out/potluck

Reactions: VexedAngel

·
Registered
105 Posts
My week again! Trying to use up the fresh produce we got from my Mom and Dad today. Each day is lunch-supper-snack. DH and kids are gone Friday afternoon-Sunday afternoon, so I'm not planning for then.

TUES
Mac and cheese with pantry boxes and watermelon from mom
Chicken spaghetti with corn on cob from mom and dairy/pasta from IF order late last week
Peach parfaits with peaches from mom, and yogurt from IF order

WED
BLTs with tomatoes from Mom
Chicken spaghetti leftovers
Peach pie with peaches from Mom

THURS
Random frozen things mostly used--chicken nuggets, chicken patties, toasted ravioli
Eggs and sausage from clearance at grocery last week
Banana bread with bananas from freezer

FRI
naan pizzas

SUN
sloppy joes with ground beef from parents
frozen peach smoothies

141 - 160 of 165 Posts