Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Between now and Easter: best prices on seafood, continuing sales on candy, sales on cream cheese (keeps in fridge for years unopened) and baking items.

I'm going out Tuesday to check on any unsold steaks. Not interested in candy, personally.

March: will be looking for corned beef on sale (keeps indefinitely frozen) and of course potatoes and cabbage.

Reactions: KimB and marthamfi

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am trying to cut back on the number of days I grocery shop each month. I ate so much healthier on my recent pantry challenge. Better to just restock the pantry and start cooking. A friend has had to get off sugar, salt, and processed foods so I headed to "ross dress for less" and "marshalls" and hit the food aisle. Got her some non-salty spices and me some more smoked paprika and a small bottle of maple syrup on super sale (organic!!! yay!!). I restocked grains with quinoa on sale at the discount grocery, and more baking cocoa (mama needs chocolate!), coconut oil, olive oil and some fresh greens from the discount grocery too.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
love corned beef but got so expensive here so of course people didn't buy it and now not stocked much. Easter is late this year! upside to my guests coming is they don't eat meat so don't have to worry about stocking for them. I am stocked up on Easter candy from last year for them. When I wanted to get more Valentine candy the other day..all easter stuff mostly. Granted will buy and eat a lot of oh henry eggs lol

that was nice of you Maggie. places like that are great for that type of stuff. I try not to shop that much but family..or like in this case they only sent a half pint of creamo instead of a full liter so not enough and not working today since someone is coming over so will get a kid to go get some. coffee is a priority here lol

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Last day of the superbowl sale. I got chips, crackers, dip, snacks, brats, salsa, and tacos for the pantry. Should last us a couple of months. Keeping an eye out for a good sale on canned vegetables.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love Oh Henry Bars, Hard to find in the states, hope to be able to get some when I go see my mum this summer,
really ? I thought that would be easy to find..we have a thing for the oh henry eggs big fat nougat centre we could so many lol

used chips, milk, sausage, fresh mushrooms w wild mushroom soup mix from epicure.. nope bought it thinking it had mushrooms in it but it didn't . may use the 2 packs left for pasta sauce. or soup when family is here. all the reg stuff too. coffee etc.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I saw a craigslist as yesterday that cracked me up. An LDS 3 month food supply kit for sale... the seller noted that it was all expired but "good for pigs or survivalists". 1) I thought what a waste to buy it and let it go bad rather than eat it up. 2) made me laugh.
The dry goods will indeed be perfectly fine to eat but I wonder if the survivalists (and there are many here) will be insulted

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I bet there's a lot of panic purchased food out there going bad because of "expiration" dates. I know a lot of dry goods, canned food, and preserved food like pickles gets thrown out because people don't realize it's meant to survive a long time. Pickles and olives don't even need to be refrigerated.

Anyway, I used 2 cans beans and 1 can anchovies this week. Going to make tuna salad for my brown bag lunch Monday.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes I always wondered what happened to all that panic buying of pasta and sauce and soup back that the beginning. did it get donated or eaten. since I have ds eggs, lunchment and veggies have been used.. making scrambled eggs with them. but mostly stuff I bought got used up for dinner except hotdogs and some bluewater garlic shrimp bakes. cus at that store only. the half price watermelon is gone etc. all the leftovers got used up even salad was surprised..ds.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
good for you! got dd to make the salted caramel choc cake box mix my mom gave me. used up the long frozen half priced frozen pillsbury raspberry turnovers. some bananas, beets, turnips got composted. 2 boxes of eggshells under bushes. Used up smokies, the pillsbury biscuits I just bought. reg stuff going milk, bread, lunchmeat, cat food, cookies, box of kd, ramen.. used up rest of romaine for salad. 2 packs of uncles ben side dish cheddar broccoli..was a sale family don't again lol not sure what is for dinner tomorrow something out of the freezer.

got mcds for dinner and they screwed up so got an extra chicken sandwich I am sure ds will eat when home. cus anything around..teen boys.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It's been quite eventful with this challenge. I'm glad the freezers and pantry is getting rotated.
I finished all my cans of sf apple pie filling. :(
I'm thawing a turkey and thawed ground beef. I'm running out of pasta and used all of the sauces.
All the shredded cheese is gone :( I think we had 5+ lbs of it..... DH keeps saying we have some but nope...
Canned fruits are gone.
No more chocochip cookies- just vanilla cremes left. Unless I make from scratch....
Finished 2 boxes of tea and the coffee is gone. Coffee is pricey so tea it is.
The freezers are getting cleaned out- no more international foods/breaded chicken/steaks/fish/turkeys.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Agree with you on the ham Dlr. I bought a pack of ham ends, ugly looking but lots of meat if you were willing to cut it off the bone and it's going to last a while longer.

Not much out of the pantry last week, box of mac&cheese, packet of flavored rice. Used up some condiment cups of honey mustard spread and soy sauce. Too much of that piling up. Finished a box of regular tea, which we do every week, had to replace mint tea and sleepy tea because those were used up.

Would like to use up more noodles, ramen, bean threads, etc in the coming warmer weeks. Also have bags of walnuts and raw almonds to do something with. I'm looking for (non-dessert) ways to use them other than salads or toppings. Have found one recipe for chicken coating that looks good, and one for energy balls that isn't loaded with sugar.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What about making spicy nuts ? for snacks or sugared ones. lol would say walnut bars but... I know almonds are good in stirfrys. Since my guests coming next week don't eat meat so easy meals..I pulled stuff out of the freezer for easy meals.. was frozen corn, tater tots and chicken cordon bleus tonight. pulled frozen carrot soup for dd, chili, and spaghetti sauce. and a beef roast. since all out in the fridge will force me to use things up. Plus did a cleanup and org of it too cus family just puts stuff in. There are meals in the house can make meatless without buying more like black bean chili. Will be a lot of eating out and take out cus they are here so take advantage of all the great places around here.

of course ramen, cookies, milk, coffee etc all getting used up, hotdogs, cheese. chips, whatever ds is making... friend came over and we ate the pack of canoes (dutch almond paste stuffed cookies) w coffee. last week was mostly help yourself meals. was going to go to safeway today w mom but moved it to tuesday and realized it is customer appreciation day that day so may as well save more money. 10% off or more rewards but I do 10% off. They have a bunch of good specials I want..veggies, cat food etc. more then others. creamo 2 for $6 1 liter while even walmart is now 3.48 each. another store is having caselot sale and I had gotten the free $25 gift card from them so can use that too. like tp 12 pk 2 for $10.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts