Frugal Village Forums banner
81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Used up 2 bottles of HM salad dressing last night, and a packet from a to-go salad. Time for a fresh recipe.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Used up the last of the peruana beans, other than the ones that get planted! Getting 4-6 eggs per day now so store bought protein is totally optional. I have no cholesterol problem and eating 4 eggs a day is fine for me. I know others kind of can't do that.
ANYWAY, did a grocery shop to get through the next 2 weeks I think. Cutting back on grocery trips helps cut back on buying crap or over buying and not eating through the pantry.

Managed to get 2 weeks of food for about 20$, to go with/replenish my pantry stock of course. This was mostly fresh veg. Found purple and green cauliflower for 2.50$/head, but each one I picked had a 1$ off sticker and they weren't soft, just a bit of dark on some flowerettes. Nice. 2.5lbs and 2lbs. 4.5lbs total for 3$. I like it when it comes in under 1$ per pound like Jeff Yeager said. Also potatoes, carrots and onions all well under 1$. I had steamed cauliflower and onion with spices for supper with some of my pantry stock wasa crackers.

The organic/natural section of another grocery was having a 20% off sale all day so I got probiotics, powdered coconut milk (I don't do dairy and this is shelf stable and good but a tad spendy), and no-sodium baking powder (also spendy but I've got to watch the sodium levels and it lets me make biscuits, quick breads, and dumplings...and it is chock full of calcium so I don't spend on calcium supplements in the winter anymore...anyway, enough justifying).
When I checked out, 37$ for a years worth I think of that stuff, I was surprised. Checked my receipt and sure enough, the 20% hadn't come off. SO, back to the counter, I checked before I walked more than 10 feet away, still in the store. The discount was advertised on every door and on the big parking lot sign, and supposed to be IN THE COMPUTER automatically. The shift manager, this was 6am, was not happy. She was glad I pointed it out before more than a dozen people had been through the store, and manually refunded my money ($7.93 including the tax) before going to figure out the glitch. Her day might be complicated if she can't fix the computer.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Spirit things are already limited at schools so if you take away hot lunches that raise money which are maybe once a month which is usually from a place like subway etc. Plus no granola or protein bars. no deli meat..so many things are banned already in elementary school..no nuts , no pb, no sugar etc. no juice boxes....where does it end. and what if your kid has allergies, issues etc. over stepping.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Spirit: yes, I do solar cooking in the summer when I can. The smoke last year really limited the number of days my cookers got hot enough. I don't have a sun oven, but have a box-corner solar cooker that does a quart jar of liquid food like soups, beans and coffee etc. a foil turkey roaster that does similar foods and is better for rice and grains because a sauce pan fits in it, and a 1970s vintage cooker made with actual glass mirrors that I can get up over 400F! It burns bread. that one gets limited use because it is a heavy beast

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Good deals, Tine!

I used a $2 coupon on 1.99 cereal at CVS this morning, and got 2 packs of marked down breakfast sausage at Aldi, too.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Grocery store had lean ground turkey marked for clearance, I got 3 lbs. There were still signs limiting fresh poultry purchases to 2 packages. Noticed milk has gone up quite a bit at the closest store, but Target's price is better so may end up driving there more often. Got a small ham $5, will be used mostly for flavoring in small amounts.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Avoided the big grocery shop this week. Got milk and a couple things on Sunday so we are good until the weekend, and the ads weren't that great. I keep finding things in my pantry that I forgot we have.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
threw away old lettuce and celery not much. 3 peppers , rest of container of mushrooms, a zucchini, 2 packs of frozen garlic shrimp..not again too $$$ for what you get. 2 packs of hotdogs. bread, cat food. ham, frozen pizza. plus ref stuff.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Using up the last little bit of lentils and the last bit of barley with some vegs to make soup today. Got some tomatoes out of the freezer, from our garden last year and chopped those up to throw in. Added some dried tomato powder I made last year, too. Have HM bread to go with it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Tine: Those are fantastic deals!! I've tried the jerusalem artichokes but didn't know how to prepare them. What do you do with them?
Roasted with carrots, beets and/or parsnips. Cheap and local winter season vegetables in Denmark.

Soup: Jerusalem artichokes and potatoes, vegetable stock, salt, (white) pepper and white wine vinegar. Blend and serve with bacon and bread. The soup is pale yellow, so black pepper is visible.

Thinly sliced on a mandoline and added raw in a salad.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I was eating Mandarin oranges yesterday and realized I should try to dry the peels for baking. One scraped thin quite easily and dried out rapidly just sitting on a plate in open air. The other peel did not cooperate and got discarded. I'll do the same with more as I eat them.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
DLR, I've been zesting oranges and lemons as we use them for a while now. I wash them with Dawn and rinse throughly, then zest them and freeze in Tupperware before peeling the fruit. To use, I just break off a chunk and add to the recipes. I think freezing retains flavor better than drying.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts