Frugal Village Forums banner
101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
did a shop dh did one part and I did the other veggies dairy etc. caselot sale so maybe get more will see. tp still cheap. used up pillsbury cinnamon buns (had been long time in fridge) and weiner wraps w weiners. the turducken, couple gravy packs, cheese, half a bag frozen peas, baby carrots, the yams, sour cream, half a can of salsa, taco seasoning. bread eaten and to outside animals. plus all the reg yogurt, milk etc. nanamio bars, bag of tortilla chips came and went. ordered more of my coffee, bag of dry cat food and some shampoo off amazon. got clearance easter choc for now and next year.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
In the past week or so I’ve used up two containers of pizza sauce
A bag of shredded mozzarella
A half empty container of pepperoni
Leftover ham from Easter
A loaf of frozen bread
Four chicken breasts
A half empty bag of buttermilk biscuits
A package of hot dogs and a package of hot dog rolls

I finished up the last of the flour in my canister and I’m going to pull another bag of flour out of the freezer but it’ll take a couple of weeks or so to use that one up!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
More ground turkey on clearance, I wonder if they growers are harvesting early due to bird flu concerns. Got 2 more packages and a marinated turkey "tenderloin" that was $5. New product I have not seen before.
Got 2 boxes of CVS granola bars for $1.25 using Extrabucks and coupons.

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
Dlr, I wondered the same about all the 10lb bags of chicken quarters that are under a dollar per pound here. Turkey "tenderloin" is a fancy way of packaging a whole boneless breast. I didn't see any turkey product this week, that shelf was filled with something else like veggie skewers or cheese that they were using as filler.

I got a free box of fancy cereal (nuts and fruit) with store points, and paid 1.49 for a box of mini wheat squares. Too much sugar IMO, but the price was attractive. DH says we have too many boxes of cereal, but he goes through one a week and I can't always find one on sale every week.

Found 2 bottles of salad dressing in the pantry plus we have one open so we're good for a while. Used up some of the stash of single serve mayo packets I had bought pre-covid for DH's lunches.

Man, I haven't seen grocery coupons in over a year. It's not worth buying the local paper for them either. Mostly makeup and personal care items we don't need or use.

Lots of little bits of stuff in the freezer to use up: different kinds of cheese, sour cherries, tomatoes, pesto, beef gravy, crumbled beef and sausage, walnuts, leftover rice, cranberries, almonds, ricotta, pumpkin puree, frozen baked goods...

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
got grocery order so stocked up but didn't get the yogurt but did yesterday then they didn't have creamo sigh. got some more little choc rabbits and jelly beans to store away for next year. little bunnies are extra in case need for others. got different coffee too but miss mine.

used up frozen kale, the white potatoes, rest of tub of margarine and european weiners. got chinese last night so ...no cooking. lunch meat, koolaid, coffee, buns etc getting used up. bananas reg stuff.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
chips, cookies, tortellini, jar of sauce, bread, garlic bread, lunch meat, fruit.. as the bag of apples that didn't get touched the bottom ones were rotten and juicy..a mess. dz eggs. cheese, baked ms smith apple pie.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I've been thawing items (ground beef, cheese, chicken) and getting sale items to dehydrate and cook.
I usually use the coupons that are sent to our home, since there is usually something for free in it. I also use the ones that pop out of the register.

·
Super Moderator
21,057 Posts
I'm trying to focus on using freezer items here. Our freezers are so full we are having to bypass good sales due to lack of freezer space. That's never happened before. I'm not complaining. I just need to get our food under better control. A lot of what's in there is poultry in anticipation of price spikes due to bird flu and the destruction of so many flocks so I don't regret that, but can do better using up other things.

Today i will be making grilled NY strip steaks, pea salad using frozen peas, and baked potatoes for my mom for lunch, all from freezer/pantry, and serving lemon cream pie from the freezer for dessert.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
yes now the flu is here so prices will go up more. 2 frozen pizzas, tub of ice cream, fruit and bread used and gone bad. time for another don't complain to me when you don't eat it..like hotdog buns..no buns well guess what went moldy. same w lunch meat. well crows happy. carton of eggs used. rest of bag of brown sugar. ramen etc got half price ice cream toppings. just need some of the basics bread etc.

·
Registered
881 Posts
got free food from relatives and stocked up on some chocolate. Accidentally double stocked lentils...ooops! But it isn't like they go off. I was going to restock flour but honestly, I have corn meal, dried corn and quinoa and a pound or 2 of flour. Need to run some or all of that out since I tend to switch to starchy veg in the summer...easier to microwave at work and hard to bake/boil at the wee shed in the summer without overheating the place. I can do some grains in a thermos without overheating the place so maybe more of that in the summer if need be.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Placed a bigTarget grocery order. Actually reduced my order since they have an incentive running right now, place 2 orders $60+ in 15 days and get $15 GC. So I'll make another shopping list for a 2nd order next week.
Hubby got $5 ExtraBucks and a coupon $4 off $20 at CVS that I'll use on some food-related or household things.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
food in and out like hotdogs, bread, milk, ramen, cheese. ice cream and hot choc. the mandarins people wanted mostly under the bushes now. bananas gone. meatloaf mix from freezer, chicken burgers, frozen fries. a couple lbs of potatoes and carrots, eggs, cool whip, lemon curd mix, cookies and strawberries . got lots of choc for mothers day.. gave one bar to friend cus she likes it more then me. mint tea. coffee.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I’ve made good progress hitting through things between the freezer and the pantry.

2 Lb stew beef
Finished a bag of potatoes
Brown gravy mix
Ranch dressing mix
Chicken breasts
BBQ sauce
Colby Jack cheese sticks (6)
Bacon

I made chex mix using up half used bags of cheez-its, cheerios, chex, peanuts and finished up the bottle of Worcestershire sauce too.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Made a quick trip to the grocery to check for marked-down meats and got 2 items. The clearance prices were about what I would expect a sale price to be. Noticed milk and egg prices are still high. I bought cottage cheese and I guess the price for a dozen eggs (about 24 oz for large size) is about the same as the price for 24 oz cottage cheese.

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
I've done the same recently, Dlr. Chicken @6.50, no way, but half price on manager's special is pretty good these days.

Egg prices are high, but still cheaper than meat.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
did a shop and stocked up on sales like bogo hotdogs, sausage patties etc. ordered coffee for both of us, more canned cat food, pee pads etc. got half price slimfast choc protein shake for ds. plus using up all the reg stuff milk creamo etc. though lots of food people wanted went bad..mushrooms, bread , buns etc. outside birds and raccoons happy though. used up half a box of garlic toast, 4 chicken corden bleus, package of honey garlic chicken drumsticks. ds made the frozen green onion pancakes. not really a cooking week.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Did Target orders (pickup and shipped) to add to pantry. Prices still good and I have started figuring out how their coupons/offers work. Was kind of unhappy w/ jam jar, too deep to get to the bottom easily. Realized I should just dump the jam into a smaller wide-mouth jar (saved from Bonne Maman jam) when it becomes difficult. Took about a minute w/ jar turned upside down. Why didn't I figure that out sooner?
I was happy w/ the Perdue roaster-chicken-in-a-bag, clearance priced $6 for 6 lbs (normal $12). Got multiple meals from that after the original supper, including Mexican chicken salad/wraps (leftovers) and pot pie (leftovers). I'll be on the lookout for that again, I love roast chicken. The last time I got a store roasted chicken (free w/ points, normal $5-6) it did not even weigh 2 lbs! Eggs still $3/dozen, I'll have to buy soon. Checking for recipes that just use 1 egg, not several.

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
Trying to figure out why the fridge is full after not cooking for 4-5 days, and why there's nothing to eat. Need to figure out what vegs are left in the drawers, and those containers pushed to the back. Need to use it or lose it.

Hope there are some good sales for the holiday weekend.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
:D So happy w/ Target customer service. My pantry order from Wednesday was being held at the FEDEX depot about an hour away because (apparently) the address label got damaged and was unreadable. I could go pickup - um, not happening. I called Target and she said she would declare the order lost and re-ship it. PLUS put a $10 credit to my account for the inconvenience.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts