Frugal Village Forums banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
dh picked up bread, milk and creamo today. some sales at one store I will get this week cus good meat. haven't really cooked cus they weren't eating. all easy food of course kids ate hotdogs, ramen, kd cups etc. Jar of honey finished, dz eggs, made a cake today so mix and can of frosting, red velvet cupcake mix, couple cans of frozen juice, dairy, cheese, bread. one onion was bad but got ds to cut up the rest for french onion soup today. defrosted a sm container of red wine. had leaked in freezer. ice cream treats, cookie gone in and out. bananas. pack of chicken breasts, rice, panko chicken coating.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
It's a low energy weekend, so I'm using up pre-cooked stuff. Finished the cooked ground beef, a bag of fries,
and the sloppy joe mix. Done with a bag of cheese, a can of beans, half a leftover baguette, and two old buns I had frozen. Need to make more space for ice cube trays, lol!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I shared some of the pantry stock with friends because I am cutting back on sugary things .... but so are they so that got complicated. The chickens may get the dregs of apple butter just to finish the jar before it goes off.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Like Spirit Deer, we have such full freezers that we can't fit in any more bargains.

Inventoried (most of) the top shelf of the upright freezer... about 20 2-person servings of pre-cooked main dishes like sausage-and-peppers, Italian meatballs, and taco meat. A ham bone. 4 small steaks.

Because the Freezers are stuffed, I have been taking things out to eat for my lunch. Last week, I ate a frozen pizza and some mystery appetizers (pastry filled with cream cheese and jalapeño... don't remember when we bought those)! Mid-week, dinner was chicken tamales from the freezer. I took down a corned beef and cooked it in the instant pot for sandwiches this weekend. I made a lasagna with some of the shredded cheese in the freezer. And I thawed a pkg of bacon for stuffed jalapeños.

BTW, I recently read an internet tip that is life-changing:
put leftover soup, chili and stew in plastic bags, partially freeze them then use the bag sealer on them, works perfectly, no need to sterilize anything

So, for leftover lasagna, I put portions in a generic Food Saver bag, freeze the bag, then seal. That way, I don't crush the lasagna or get liquid into the vacuum channel.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Early Bird thanks for posting about partially freezing things with liquid in it before sealing it with vaccum sealer.I have been wanting one seen on tv lately but mine is almost new so i can't get another one.💐

·
Registered
909 Posts
Finally ordered a second freezer. First one I ordered they cancelled because they were unable to get the item. This time I held my breath and I’ve gotten email stating it’ll be delivered the 27th.

I’ve noticed while going through the freezer I see so much of the freezer is taken up with bags of flour, loaves of bread, ice cream treats, chocolate chips and so on. I told dh we need more room for homemade freezer meals, meats etc. I will move the breads and such to the smaller freezer and then I can restock the bigger one with meats and meals etc.

I used up two lbs of chicken, two cans cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, half bag of cheese, bacon and some stuffing. Also used up a cookie mix and a brownie mix. We’ve got company coming this weekend so I wanted some yummies for dessert.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
We've found our big deep freezer very useful over the years. Bread does take up a lot of space. OTOH it thaws quick for easy meals. I put marked down bread in the freezer and then pull out only what we need to make sandwiches, garlic bread, etc.

·
Registered
909 Posts
CH, yes the loaves are so bulky. I do like having the ability to just pull out a few slices at a time and leave the rest in there. I’ve got flour in there too as well as potato chips, chocolate chips and such. I didn’t used to really worry too much about stocking those types of things but I started loading up a few years back and when Covid hit I was so happy we were prepared.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
did you get your freezer Hikr? well shopped and shopped again.. same stuff going in and out ramen, cheese, milk, bread etc. great int aisle did get yesterday beef, chicken, and shrimp bouillon cubes cus cheap there. plus dry miso soup packets ginger cookies, hawaiian cookies, more ramen, tinned pork pate..will see what it is like. soup for my mom, salad dressing. laundry soap purex free and clear 110 loads only 7.97 exp but wanted to try green giant garlic parmesan frozen corn. plus some sauces, seed suet blocks, kcups, prunes, peanuts , marked down garlic bread and choc chip muffins. one store has a really good deal on sirloin steaks this week cus fathers day so will get some $5 a lb. plus my csa starts up next week too so fresh veggies.

used up
some single entrees, frozen tortellini, jar Alfredo sauce, seafood lasagna bought and ate same day, jello no bake cheese cake mix, chicken strips, frozen peas, strawberries, taco mix, ground beef, all the reg stuff milk, bread, cheese ,ice cream, ramen, cat food etc. from what I remember.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Marthamfi no freezer yet. It’s supposed to be delivered June 27th. It was originally slated for deliver June 4th so I really doesn’t get bumped back again.

This week all our meals came from the freezer and the pantry. I made a large and two small loaves of oatmeal molasses bread. It’s really good! I froze the two small loaves and we are having toast every day with the oatmeal molasses bread. I use up the last of the rolled oats, the last of a small jar of molasses and a pound of butter. Also used London Broil from the freezer and a few packets of brown gravy, two “big baker” potatoes. I made a batch of baked beans and that used up a lb of dried kidney beans.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Freezer is getting too full of odds and ends. Need to use:

• brats and buns
  • 1 chicken breast
  • cauliflower rice
  • white rice
  • cheese
  • spring roll wraps
  • soup
  • juice
  • nuts
  • fajita meat

Among other things. Stuff is jammed in too tight to tell what half of it is.

Picking cherries tomorrow, will need to find space for them.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I am placing another Target pantry order to stock up. Getting extra vitamins as well. I have shelf space ready to store dry goods.
Looking for a sale on dog food somewhere to have extra on hand. PetSmart was sending me great coupons but they stopped about a month ago so checking other stores.

·
Registered
810 Posts
stocked up on corn and beans while on a trip...good souvenirs but FYI: The TSA security people found it surprising and had to bomb swab my bag of blue cornmeal. The woman checking it was jealous of my red posole (hominy) as well. I should be set for a year!

Will likely eat my last jar of duck from the pantry this week as it is time to butcher again and I need to make room

121 - 137 of 137 Posts