Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not quite summer but close enough. Share your goals, challenges.. plans... are you making jams, canning? stocking up or having to use up the old stuff in freezer from last year. Or just the every day challenge of using up stuff !

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stocked up on some good meat deals, 5.98lb top sirloin steak. plus sale handmade sausages. all in the freezer for later. stocked up on potato chips too. CSA started this week too. used up potatoes, leeks, sm pack of bacon for soup w some pasta in it. a crumble using up apples and rhubarb. all the reg stuff getting used of course dairy, ramen, kd cups etc. Ds using the canned tuna again. making sandwiches and salads..he comes and goes with it. also a bag of smokies.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
I'm well stocked, maybe a little too well. I have 3 current goals:

-- make space for the bucket of cherries I picked yesterday that will need freezing (and figure out where all my pint containers went)
-- use up odds and ends in the kitchen freezer before they get too old
-- clear items stocked on top of the pantry cabinet downstairs to make room for something else

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I didn't see you'd started this when I was whining on the other thread the other day! I'm glad you did, since I need all the motivation I can get to stay the course!!!

I am trying to use up my older pantry stock to make room for new. Plus between 28 May and 7 June, I spent over $1k on birthday and graduation events for the kiddos-- so eating at home has a special appeal until I recover from that (planned but still horrendous) sticker shock!!!

Today went really well-- I used up 4 eggs baking and 7 more making devilled eggs-- ended up tossing two that were dicey... and now I "only" have 13 left!!! Our 3 chickens are hit-or-miss layers, but I just hadn't been really doing a lot with eggs lately... I also used up half of the riblets in our freezer as well as some cucumbers that needed to go.

I am hoping that tomorrow H will eat the last 2 blueberry muffins I made today for breakfast, then take leftover casserole, brownie, and yogurt for lunch at work... but he is pretty slippery about "forgetting" that sort of thing. I'm not going to bother sending veggies with him, he won't eat them, so why waste?

Angel-- Zucchini is a great starter plant for gardening-- as long as you like zucchini!!! :) We had one year where I planted wayyyy too many and we were drowning, but another year both of our plants we got were male and we got nothing...so I can't claim to have ever found the happy medium...

One of the "freezer dregs" I have to work through this summer is all the yellow and green squash I still have from early last year when the schools kept sending them home... we're talking 2 per week, times 2 kids!!! So I still have about 1/2 of a gallon bag left to go through before this year's crop comes in... (assuming I actually get my butt out there and weed before everything gets choked...) H HATES squash, but the kids and I don't mind it, and I can usually sneak a bit in with spaghetti sauces-- especially if I overcook it and blend it in... It's good for him!

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Zhoen, I have the same suggestion as Dlr, once you puree the squash you can hide it in a lot of recipes. Add to muffins or quick bread (like zucchini or banana bread), chili and casseroles, and of course soup. Any place where you use other strong flavors. I'm told you can even hide it in chocolate cake.

You can also freeze raw eggs if they are scrambled first. Then they can be used in baking. Not so good as scrambled eggs for breakfast, but they work in muffins or cakes, or meatloaf.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yikes Z! but I hear you. I have hidden lots of veggies with dh too lol works well in spaghetti sauce.

used up some of the bok choy all green variety, frozen mini wontons plus bouillion, dry miso soup etc for dinner last night. friday couple of frozen pizzas, steaks are marinating, w frozen corn and pickle salad kit for fathers day. ramen, bread, coffee, dairy, cookies etc all reg stuff getting used up. frozen leftover chili/rice used up. cheese bread is going fast. threw out a couple of things too..can't remember just what but probably not happy about it lol

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Thanks for the zucchini suggestions, y'all!!! I did try the "fake applesauce" one, and DD18 has eaten about half of it so far-- sometimes she really is just a big toddler and that big toddler LOVES applesauce. She said it tastes like pumpkin pie and banana bread, so we'll see if she actually finishes it tomorrow or not... that leaves me with just a handful of frozen zucchini left which I am planning to throw in with spaghetti sauce some time this week...

I once made a zucchini-and-apple pie (or more likely a cobbler/crumble, I can't recall) years ago when my sister received a massive/overgrown zucchini from a neighbor... no way were her kids ever going to eat that, so I mixed it half-and-half with baking apples and they didn't even know! I also sometimes slip excess squash in with cucumbers in my creamy cucumbers or refrigerator pickles-- but the ones I was dealing with now were old frozen ones, so thanks for the awesome suggestions!!!

CH- I've done the frozen scramble eggs things once, long ago, too... I ran across a stupid-cheap special at a store (like $.25 a dozen or something crazy like that...) So I can attest that it actually works!

Ok, so yesterday I took some leftover shrimp scampi and leftover white rice and made shrimp fried rice-- at which point DD15 refused to eat it... (argh...) but DD18 and I liked it fine, one serving left in the fridge that I am hoping DD18 might eat for lunch tomorrow--otherwise it's chicken food!!! Tonight DD18 used up another old box of Hamburger Helper (barf...) H liked it, so no leftovers, hooray! And I gave up on using up/freezing the tetrazini in the fridge and put it out for the chickens... whatever is still there tomorrow night after the chickens and "night visitors" have had a chance at it can go in the garbage...

There are actual open spots in my fridge and pantry, y'all!!! It's amazing!!!

DD18 was legitimately worried when she told me "Mama, we're almost out of frozen hamburger in the deep freezer!" And I was like "Yes, love, that is the point!!!" 🤣

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
When my dad had a garden, there were tons of zucchini. I would grate it and freeze it for zucchini bread all winter. Dad doesn't garden anymore, so haven't done that in a while. Hoping to have cucumbers this year. Lots of blooms.

Yesterday we needed extra hotdog buns. I let everyone else eat the fresh ones, and took out some from the freezer. Defrosted one. It was okay, but was a little crumbly. I have two hamburger buns left and I saw on youtube where someone made a garlic butter spread and put it on the buns and froze them for later. I think I may try that one.

Trying to use up stuff in the freezer. Haven't been shopping much. Used a kielbasa, a bag of shrimp and a bag of corn on the cob to make a shrimp boil in the instant pot. Used up a bag of fries yesterday. Tried to use up some frozen ground turkey, but it was bad and had to scrap the whole meal.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I frequently see good prices on ground turkey so I pick those up whenever I can. It's fine in any Mexican-type recipe and would be good for bulking up spaghetti sauce. I used some sale (store brand) Chorizo recently and remarked to hubby that it was not as spicy as I though it would be, so it probably could be substituted for Italian sausage well enough.
Going to make a large batch of crockpot refried beans tomorrow. Hubby won't eat but I :love: them and good protein source.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think there is at least a couple in each family that are big kids....as I looked at what I was buying today..really buy lots of things you would think were for kids but nope dh..wagon wheels, applesauce for lunches. at least he eats a yogurt and banana each day now. which I bought today w bread, velveeta sliced cheese, creamo, smokies cus they were cheap. hotdog buns. frozen waffle fries.

used up rest of bag of opened smokies, couple hotdogs for dd from freezer, waffle fries plus rest of salad from sunday. couple of little tomatoes I ate .. is annoying that I just can't throw some on a plate or other veggies like that for easy veggie serving. rest of wonton soup went to crows. another container of grape tomatoes went out too moldy. at least watermelon getting eaten. just leftover steak to eat now. couple packs of cookies and choc gone too. lunchmeat too used up.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Update- DD18 did eat all of the "zucchini sauce" so that was a win... but then she didn't feel like adding the last handful of zucchini to the spaghetti sauce, so we are not QUITE rid of it all yet, but 90% better than it was.

H ate the last of said spaghetti for lunch yesterday, commenting that there was less left over than usual.

Yesterday I baked a chicken out of the freezer, but there's another that I just added last week on sale, so yay for rotation! But again, when I cleaned the carcass for the soup bag just now, we only had about 3.5 oz of meat that I cleaned off and returned to the fridge-- which is a lot less than usual... but that's not a bad thing. H can either just nosh on that last bit or make a sandwich or something. I wanted to see less leftovers languishing in the fridge, and we seem to be accomplishing that...

I'll make broth out of the bones eventually, but for now they are in the freezer since we still have one more pint up in the cabinets to use up first.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Got most of the cherries into the freezer. Ate one pint for dinner this week over pancakes. Not sure the last half pint will make it, but not a great waste. Used up some frozen leftover rice and the remains of a bag of riced cauliflower. Unfortunately I didn't cook much this week. Right now I'm trying to use up all the fresh produce. I have half a head of iceberg left, plus two heads of fancy lettuce from the farmer's market, and my own lettuce just started coming in strong. And there's spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, watermelon and peaches to eat.

No good grocery deals this week, so I may only get milk and bread on Monday. Not much on the shopping list either.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Canada day next week so sales are coming. don't like thurs to wed ads but what can you do. reg stores has scheiders smokies on cheap..granted I got cheap ones at walmart on sale but you know not the same quality so I want a few bags for the freezer. ds off camping so I added to stores saying take canned spaghetti sauce, dry pasta, and one of the huge cans of baked beans. plus some instant coffee mocha packs, marshmellows etc. Did shop at bakery and deli beside it.

made spaghetti which leftovers are sitting in fridge. fresh pasta from freezer, can of sauce, frozen meatballs. Have just been eating sandwiches from the deli and bakery for last couple nights plus the apple pie I bought. plus all the reg stuff too. No one really has been home for reg meals. or eating out.

watermelon finished but have bunch of veggies still and new csa next week. think will make a big salad for me an get greens eaten.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Last week I ate the last of my frozen wild salmon and cod. I took an inventory of my freezer contents before re-ordering. Ended up restocking lots of fish from Vital Choice since I had a discount. I also donated some things from my pantry and went through it to make sure there was nothing more I wouldn't eat.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice CPA Kim!

well between Costco today and grocery order coming later..definitely stocked up though just realized we went to costco and forgot hubbys kcups .. always something. turns out w didn't need the costco Tylenol either well stocked up. the kirkland ibuprofen is now $16 ! got dryeye drops too. 6 pack of canned chicken, sliced cheese, big can of iced tea mix, popcorn, cheesies, hotdog buns, creamo, etc. smokies/hotdogs on sale so getting 3 of each for the freezer. plus all the reg stuff.

reused old decaf kcups for getting smell out of old dolls.. pasta to crows etc
all the reg items creamo, coffee, mint tea.
sent older nescafe mocha drink mix, huge can of baked beans, couple cans of pasta sauce, marshmellows, candy and dry pasta w ds camping.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Sounds like a good start, Vexed. Sometimes it's easier to wean yourself off the bad stuff than quit cold turkey.

My short list:
  • brats and buns --used up
  • 1 chicken breast --used
  • cauliflower rice --gone
  • white rice --ditto
  • cheese -- Dh finished one package
  • spring roll wraps
  • soup
  • juice
  • nuts
  • fajita meat
Adding