Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Good finds Dlr!

I didn't find any meat markdowns this week, except on pork chops which we have plenty of. I did stock up on the shredded rotisserie chicken meat that was on sale. Even with the 12 mile round trip to the store it was a better deal than buying a whole chicken (which is now $8). I re-packed it into flat zip bags so it would use less space.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
dh got the csa yesterday so more lettuce, broccolini, zucchini, garlic scapes, peas and a cabbage. I like this place cus you can swap out stuff so you get more of what you would use up. still have last times to use up so veggies this weekend when ds is home.

Safeway here takes all the previous nights chicken ham etc and cuts it up for selling so good deals.

used up some lunchmeat, bread, candy etc. hotdogs. not much used up. got a bunch of strawberries from friend so will give some to my mom.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Frugal pantry wins this week!!!
*Whipped up a super quick marinara Sunday night because husband was making mozzarella sticks for dinner, but was not planning on having a dipping sauce 👀 (what is wrong with him LOL) I knew it was too much, but it was super fast and cheaper than a bottle of sauce (not that we had one anyway)
*Used that marinara and some shredded mozzarella I've been trying to use up for a long time on pitas from the Mediterranean diet shop this week to make lunch time personal pizzas for the kids--huge hit, so I did that for 2 days and finished the mozzarella and pitas
*Threw the rest of the marinara, some leftover cauliflower soup, and leftover ham and beans into a ribollita soup and it was SO GOOD

Separate from the marinara win, today I made myself some fancy avocado toast for breakfast. Avocado mashed with lemon juice, spread on whole grain toast, with a soft fried egg and some arugula. Pretty sure I've paid $15 for that in a cafe before, but crunched the numbers after my son asked, and IT ONLY COST $1.23. I know it's cheaper to cook at home, but...WOW.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I am SO glad this month is ending! From the super-expensive start to the super-penny-pinch rest of it, I am just GLAD!!!

Tonight I had the kids help me plan a menu for the coming month, trying to still hit a few things that are left in the freezers and cabinets, but also beginning our planned restock now that there is more room-- I get paid tomorrow, so we will be doing our monthly "big shop" tomorrow evening or Saturday if we just don't have it in us tomorrow...

Today I made homemade crockpot baked beans that turned out alright... DD18 had some and so did I and we still ended up with a quart jar in the fridge... I'll have to check the price on canned baked beans to see if it was a net savings or not (I'm thinking "not,") but it was just something I wanted to do and it used up the last pint of "mystery broth" in the pantry as well as the last of a jar of molasses. Probably not something I will be doing again any time soon, though.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
I had to run out for trash bags -- essential. Also got more milk for DH, that means I can wait a few more days after the holiday to shop again. And picked up another tub of rotisserie chicken, a good deal and it's handy for lunch or snacks. And had to get celery because my last one went liquid. :( Also scored a pair of pork chops for 1.42, those will be good on the grill next week. Tomorrow I've got to pick lettuce, it is coming in fast. I wish my chard would pick up and grow, too.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
need to use up stuff cus we have a lot so planning. have csa so used up besides reg coffee, creamo, bread etc.. ds finished the box of raisin bran from camp. bought more frozen lunch stuff for dh, kcups, sugar cus on sale, cereal on sale.

strawberries, twinkies (made strawberry shortcake) lemon cake mix and vanilla icing. ribs, lunchmeat , frozen carrots..a third to compost or wild animals..freezer burned. radishes, head of lettuce, piece of cheese, cucumber, couple ears of corn, burgers and hotdogs. more hostess treats, ice cream, kcups, ramen etc of course. gave away some strawberries to mom and froze some. rib bones always go to crows.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I am so glad June is over!!! I spent the last couple of days doing most of our shopping for the July menu, which I had the teens help me create so they can't complain about it (spoiler, they will anyway!!!)

Even though I was VERY clear with the family about what we were doing last month and why, by the end of the month we were all 100% sick of all the same boring, repetitive, processed stuff. As part of a broader emotional breakdown (UTI and PMS on top of her overall health issues) DD18 went on a rant about "There's NO food in this house, well, there is, but it's all PROCESSED JUNK!!!" <-- It was kind ironic since whenever it is her or H's turn to cook, that is all they ever make and claim they like it just fine... :rolleyes:

Really, she was just unwell, but what she was trying (and failing) to express was that she was craving plain meat-- like a steak or chicken breast-- which we were legitimately out of... But it led to a development-- we bought some extra "plain" meats beyond what is on the menu and will freeze single-servings of that in ziplocs for when the teens want to make something specific just for themselves. I remember being that age and sometimes just wanting a plain piece of cow fried with a bit of garlic and butter-- hormones are nothing to mess with! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Anyway, our freezer and fridge are packed again, and tonight I am cooking up the last of a massive pack of "riblets" from the freezer-- good riddance, those weren't what I thought they'd be.

Oh, and on the "stock up" side of things, I filled up about 8 or so large (clean) McDonalds cups full of wild raspberries and added those to the freezer. H is going to MS to visit the stepdaughter next week, so I will can some of those with store-bought blackberries and send those to her so she can have a cobbler like we used to make when she'd visit here in the summertime when she was little. The rest will be cobblers here, maybe even today... who knows? :)

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Used some of the pita bread last night along with lamb kebabs I forgot I had made. Also used another bag of frozen cheese this weekend. Fridge is full of bits of this and that.

Z, I get that way sometimes. No food in the house, only tons of ingredients that have to be cooked with stuff I don't have. DH alternately complains that we have too many leftovers, and there's nothing for him to eat for lunch.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
yes when you get overloaded with a lot of processed etc you just need some good plain food.
eating at bowling alley tonight and dh picking up bread etc.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Ruj that is awesome you are getting the 1/4 cow. How much space does that take up?
Looking at re-stocking some pantry items this month - canned fruit & vegs, granola/cereal bars. No more room in freezer (just have over the fridge kind). Watching for sales and promotions. Got $5 off $30 purchase (promo) today at the grocery store, all fresh items. Bought a larger size bag of dog kibble 10% off last week to see how fast it gets used. I usually buy medium-sized bags but go through them pretty fast.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
well didn't do bowl alley..but few days of takeout. did stop by bakery got scones, apricot delight bread etc. and more bread and buns yesterday w mint tea, milk etc.half price cheese strings. dh picked up his coffee, got cat food, shampoo from amazon. froze strawberries from a friend and so far 3 containers of raspberries from the garden.

used besides dairy and coffee etc. uncle bens mexican rice, hotdogs, store brand kd, bag of smokies, cukes, brocculini, lettuces, tomatoes, etc, 5 jello packs, ice cream, bologna, sliced cheese, bananas, protein powder, some old condiments in the trash almost used up. cool whip, frozen french onion soup. cookies.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Got a large "family size" Suave 30 oz conditioner at CVS under $4. I use it on the dogs watered down like creme rinse after shampoo. Should last a really long time. Used Target 10% off promotion to buy pantry items again, also spend $50 get $10 egift card. May not seem like much but Target prices are already lower than grocery store on most items. Fridge is stuffed at the moment and need to eat leftovers and the fresh veggies just bought.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Our fridge is stuffed, too. Getting a ton of lettuce from the garden and a few tomatoes. Trying to eat more fresh vegs while they are in season so the cans are not getting used up. Making progress in the freezer:

My list:

• cheese -- Dh finished one package
  • spring roll wraps
  • soup
  • juice
  • nuts
  • fajita meat -- dinner tonight
  • frozen tomato chunks from last year's garden
  • tamales
  • blueberry muffins
  • frozen shrimp
  • hot dogs -- finished package
  • pita bread -- used some
Adding:

-- beef gravy
-- turkey gravy -- getting used this week
-- chicken tenders -- getting used this week
-- tomato soup
-- more brats -- next week
-- more cauli rice
-- dirty rice -- in the plan for this week

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Big News! I finally used up the LAST of that zucchini!!! Well, sort of... I threw it into vegetable soup, then ended up with 2 servings of that frozen for work lunches... but no more bag-o-zucchini!!! (And here is me NOT going out to see what's happening in the garden!!!

Last night we had loaded nachos using up some taco meat I had in the freezer, but I added a container of leftover cobbler to the freezer... then made banana pudding because we had a couple of bananas that were getting brown, which also used up cool whip, pudding mix, and nilla wafers from the pantry, now I just need the fam to eat it before I do!!! 🤣

DH alternately complains that we have too many leftovers, and there's nothing for him to eat for lunch.
THIS!!! If I make just the right amount, DD15 says I didn't make enough; If I make more hoping they will eat it for lunch, it frequently just rots in the fridge. They seem to think that my kitchen should be a grab-and-go deli fridge with fresh single servings of diverse options at all times... :rolleyes:

Looking at re-stocking some pantry items this month - canned fruit & vegs, granola/cereal bars.
I saw store-brand canned fruit (in juice) for $1/can yesterday at Walmart. Tragically, that is the best price I've seen in a while... Aldi still remains the best for canned veg around here. Sometimes the shoprite/pricerite CanCan sale is better, but I don't see any announcements of when that will be... usually it's twice a year and should be soon, but I'm not seeing anything...

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
so true isn't it Zhoen. and here the fact ds takes after me.. the split in food preferences between him and I and dh and dd.. like I don't even bother to make salads if he isn't around lol

I find when school starts the sales on canned stuff start reminds me to look downstairs for canned fruit.. like it in jello

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Used up several things, but uncovered more to add:

• cheese -- we have 5 opened packages
  • spring roll wraps
  • juice
  • whole almonds
  • frozen tomato chunks from last year's garden
  • tamales
  • blueberry muffins
  • frozen shrimp
  • pita bread
  • beef gravy
  • chicken tenders
  • tomato soup
  • more brats
  • more cauli rice
  • baguette
  • corn niblets
  • prosciutto slices
  • sliced raw beef
  • burger buns
  • meat crumbles
  • cilantro pesto
  • falafel patties
  • sliced salmon for bagels

I'll be trying to come up with ways to add these items into my menu plan.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Tried the grocery store for meat mark-downs, nothing worth buying. They have a freezer case where they put specials and I found 10 oz salmon and tuna steaks in $5 packages. Dairy seems steady although up 10% from last year. Eggs are crazy but Target consistently beats the grocery store price so will make a trip there when necessary. Doing pretty well minimizing egg use. Got 2 cases of water for emergency storage nearly free w/ CVS ExtraBucks.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Used up a package of cheese, one of the baguettes, and the last of the corn this week.

Dlr, I'm not seeing the mark downs as often either.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
well we are stocked after trip across the border. krogers sm bag frozen veggies, krogers cool whip, dh lunch stuff, stocked on shredded cheese now, jello, cake/brownie mixes. canned black beans etc. amazon delivered my coffee and cat food today. dh needs more coffee but had a folgers half price stuff I got before. his is not cheaper on amazon. got csa this week too. so except dairy and tp don't need much this week.

trying to remember what we ate besides ice cream, dairy , coffee , cheese, bread, bananas etc. some things in and out fast like boxed pasta. ramen, kd cups..found one buried. single frozen entrees.

jar mole sauce paste, cooked frozen hamburger, can of tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, raspberries from garden, cake mix, snap peas, box of pasta, soy sauce packs from chinese takeout, hotdogs, pop, garlic snapes, cool whip, frozen whipping cream, box of chocolates, cookies, rice, yogurt.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts