Frugal Village Forums banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Dlr speaking of Target, we stopped there to get my Kevita and I looked at the bananas....regular bananas were .55 EACH and the organic were six or seven in a bunch for $1.29.....checked with the guy stocking shelves and he agreed it didn't make sense....we are having organic bananas this week.....

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
wow that is weird. was near asian store.. so picked up 3 packs of ramen on sale for the kids..different flavours and brands one on clearance big shrimp head flavour half price so seems like shrimp to me. bananas, swiss roll and coconut bread. plus dinner sushi and a rotissere chicken. which I realized is still sitting on the counter.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Yes I knew they priced bananas individually. The Target I go to doesn't have a really wide selection but good prices for basics and I can tell on the web site what they have and what I can't get there. Made cornbread for supper and realized a lot of my baking supplies are going out of date. Need to see what should be used up soonest. I still haven't made those scones hubby wanted.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Yup, prices on nearly everything... Saw a funny one this morning. "My new diet plan is called 'The Price of Food These Days' ".

I just keep an eye on which vegs are cheapest or on sale and that's what we eat that week.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Dlrcpa- A quarter of a cow= 135 lbs of beef...I think they said make room for 6 cubic feet? We have purchased this before and have a big standing freezer.

DH has been smoking whatever is on sale. Whole chickens for 67 cents/lb, tri-tip at $2/lb... We have some steaks and chicken in the freezers and a ham but I think that's it.

I have found great clearance items- fruits, pizza, waffles...Since the dehydrator burned itself up, I can't dry fruits anymore. I'll consider getting one at a later time.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Thawing ham bone and will soak beans for crockpot soup tomorrow. There is other stuff in the fridge I can throw in there also. Cooked some barley for rounding out other dishes. It has a decent amount of protein and fiber.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Went shopping for cat food and milk, came home ~$70 later with a lot of snacks. Box of lunch sized chips on sale for $10, comes out about 55 per bag. Should last DH a couple of weeks. Crackers on sale 50% off, pack of cookies marked half price for clearance. Premium solid canned tuna was on sale, got the last one. Some frozen entrees half off (clearance). Picked up bags of cheesy puffs and chips for .99 to take on our trip. Found some marked down snickers bars, too. Got a bag of red beans to try in the crock pot this weekend.

Bananas are .79/lb here.

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

·
Registered
968 Posts
Based on my menu plans for this week I’ll be using up:

2 lbs ground beef, package of frozen hamburger buns, four mini corn on the cobs,8 slices of cheese

Four bagels, four slices of cheese, four eggs, 8 slices of bacon, bag of frozen hash browns

potatoes (milk and butter) for mashed potatoes, whole kernel corn and a lb of ground beef and two packages of brown gravy

reading this I realize I’ve basically repeated two of my items with just minor changes, shepherds pie and burgers with mini ears of corn. Lol. I didn’t even realize that! Dh has been wanting shepherdspie plus he wanted me to grill “something” so burgers it is. Whoops!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
While out doing our regular "big monthly" grocery shop this morning, I ran across bone-in chicken thighs for $.39/lb and "thin-sliced" chicken breasts for $1/lb, so I bought about 10lbs of each... people were looking at me like I was crazy... It really wasn't all that much, but they were small packages, so I guess it looked like a lot... I also got a random single package of organic chicken breast (looks like one big one???) for $.78, because dude, $.78...

The other day I got a 3lb bag of broccoli florets for $1.49... so we have been snacking on those a little, used some for a veggie tray for an event, and then today I blanched and froze the rest...

So the freezer is pretty well stocked right now-- I'll have to keep looking for a couple more things that were a poor selection today, but I refilled our choices of "shove it in the microwave and leave Mom alone" foods, so yay for that. I should have at least a week without hearing "there's NOTHING to eat!!!" (Which is still not going to prevent, "hey I'm craving XYZ, can we go to the store?)

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
wow good deals Zhoen would be more like $4 lb here. well didn't plan on it but friend visited and she wanted short rice pudding rice which is only at one place..baking, nuts, spices etc. so got mckays lime curd, small bag of buttermilk powder, choc cover ginger and some lentils, diff store and my coffee on sale and bbq sauce and then across the street new euro deli which has way too much tempting stuff so scheppes bitter lemon, cheese sauce, rio salad..lol more frozen burgers and buns. did do grocery delivery order too of all the stuff needed bread, dairy etc w sale stock up tp more hotdogs, bag of onions, bag of rice. cookies etc. found the little containers of fr vanilla coffee flavouring at dollar store.

bbq'd burgers, bag of smokies, veggie kabobs so 2 zucchini, cherry tomatoes, rest of onion, a pepper. lunchmeat, hotdogs, bread etc. made chicken soup using carrots, bits and bobs from rotissere chicken..froze bunch of the meat. milk, creamo.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Great deals Zhoen. I would have stocked up, too. Chicken thighs are easy to bake or grill.

I've been trying to avoid cravings 'cause, yeah, that gets expensive fast. Reminding DH to eat the stuff I already bought.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
What a deal Zhoen....today I was at an outlet store and they had big boxes of cereal buy one get one free....$2.25 for two big family boxes.....I picked up six boxes for food pantry. Also won a box of food at an auction....it had 12 cans of tomato soup, 2 cans of northern beans, one big can baked beans, a box of saltines, and 8 cups of mac and cheese.....grandson took the saltines and two of the mac and cheese....rest will send to food pantry....
I am finding I'm not using my canned goods as much as I use to...

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
joys of working in stores half price stuff ..damaged package or whatever the reason two different places over the week. so 2 boxes of half price cereal..4 choc bars lol, toaster studel, cake last week 2 days ago, 12 pack of ramen 1.58 , bbq pringle snacks for lunches..10pack for 1.98 and 2 cases of half price canned cat food friskies and fancy feast so 34 cans so cats stocked up. got bread etc couple days ago so only need milk and creamo today. got csa tuesday so stocked for veggies.

used up box of dry pasta bag of shredded cheese, frozen cooked steak leftovers, can of mushrooms, pack of bacon.. blts.. garden tomatoes. pack of tortenilli and jar of sauce for dinner. may turn up ac and bake a brownie mix and garlic bread.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Eating up what I have! Made pancakes using semolina flour. Gritty but ok.
Lots of greens from the garden and friends gardens. Cracked an egg tonight when I dropped it....so I cooked it and ate it rather than waste it or feed it to the hens.

The hens are eating so many grass hoppers I can cut them wit for wed in half and save on that.

I am low on flour so considering grinding some of my stock of dried hominy as corn flour

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Oatmeal raisin cookie recipe not great, won't make again. I have a book called 365 Great Cookie Recipes, only tried a few so far. Got another Safeway $5 off coupon and did a small grocery shop, all protein.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
105 Posts
Used up all those little leftover pieces in the fridge/pantry to make my lunches for the week. I like to take roast veggies, a protein, and a healthy carb, topped with low sodium soy sauce and sriracha. And I packed an apple, some canned pineapple, and a dark chocolate wafer bar I get on sale every once in awhile from Imperfect Foods for snack.

I'm also proud of myself, I found a dupe online for single serve overnight oats. I liked to use Oats Overnight last year, it's an expensive pre-packaged, single serve overnight oats thing with blender bottles. But it is pricey. I finally quit doing it this spring when I figured out how many weight watcher points it all was, and the cost didn't help, even with specials, etc. So I'm trying this out--I should get the same amount for 1/3 the cost! I bought a bunch of value pack store brand instant oatmeals...a big bag of chia seeds, and a carton of almond milk. I can use my blender bottles, get a variety of flavors, and the health benefits, and am only adding a single step to the process I was already doing. (So I'm putting in one packet of instant oatmeal, a heaping tablespoon of chia seeds--using an old coffee scoop I can leave in the bag--and filling with almond milk to the fill line on the blender bottle, shaking and putting in lunch bag in fridge the night before) I tried it out one morning this week and it worked great!

It's DH's week to cook, I have no idea what's on the docket, but he is letting me take a look through the cart before he submits the order so we can avoid stockpiling frozen corn again. 😂

41 - 58 of 58 Posts