Frugal Village Forums banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
BW, I had to show DH the receipt and ask him what he thought I bought that we didn't need. It was all his snack foods and lunch stuff. Lately he's wanted cereal, and it's like $4-7 a box now, outrageous. I got 4 boxes this month with coupons on top of sales for 1.49 a box, and now he says we have too much cereal, but I can't get those prices every week.

I'm getting tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden at least. Plain iceberg isn't so bad. Last week I got romaine, which I prefer because it lasts longer. I'm not making fancy salads any more. Like someone said on another thread, look for the vegetables that are $1 per pound/pack or cheaper.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Target special this week spend $80 get $10 reward. I had a list going already, it was not hard to get there. I have a $10 reward from a couple months ago to apply to this order. Replenish canned fruits, protein bars, vitamins, crackers, baking, cottage cheese & yogurt.
Used an old cake mix and can of frosting. NOT buying more cake mixes!

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Lol, Dlr! I'm going out today to buy cake mixes. I don't care for big frosted cakes, but the little Jiffy mixes are perfect for a batch of muffins or topping a peach cobbler. Somehow I'm completely out, and cornbread too. And boneless chicken is 2.99 so I've got to make room for at least one family pack of that. My garden kale is looking good, so time to figure out what to make with that. It's not something I have a lot of experience with, but I do know a couple of recipes.

·
Registered
881 Posts
CH: i found the jiffy pie crust mix for 25cents on a clearance rack a few months back. I don't make many pies, but added a bit of water and used it as biscuits in the office toaster oven. Went well with the soup I'd brought. I rarely buy mixes anymore so it was kind of fun.

I found ORGANIC salad mix for 1.99 for a pound box this weekend. It was on clearance in a small town store. I grabbed 1. Couldn't eat the 4 or 5 they had there. Apparently no one wanted them. Nothing wrong. not even at the "sell by" date. Strange. Anyway, lots of salads this week.

I also got a bit of millet for the pantry. It was cheap, and makes a decent breakfast sort of like oatmeal. I can make it ahead with some nuts and diced not-too-great apples I picked from a roadside tree and keep it in the work fridge when I'm not getting enough eggs to get me through.

DID buy 2lbs of walnuts for 8$ and 1lb of cashews for 6$ for the home pantry. Part of the winter stock up. These can go on salads, in pilafs, or breakfast make-aheads. Or when I get around to making my own chocolates again (coconut oil, cocoa, and nuts or dry fruit).

Trying to use up or pre-can my dry black beans. Getting sick of them so if I make them the most convenient thing to eat, then I will actually eat them.
harvested my thyme, some more lovage leaves (like celery) and a bit of what is either lambs quarters or hogweek seeds...either is fine. Basically amaranth. I saw a wild plant on my property while picking the slightly yucky apples from the roadside volunteer tree that LOOKED like amaranth...but then it was in a wetland and more likely was a hellebore...very very poisonous. not enough leaves left to be sure so I left it and made a mental note to mark things I might want to get seed off of while they are still identifiable.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
yes prices are up everywhere! well time to settle back into normal life for a few days. have chinese food from ds bday last night and ham etc still too. shopped again for some deals.. like cottage cheese not cheap here. avocados.. store redoing shelves so got 3 boxes of different brands and sizes of coffee on clearance. plus crystal light jug size packs too.

csa coming tomorrow so more fresh veggies beets, onions, peppers etc. used up a bunch of them. frozen scalloped potatoes, corn, ice cream, a ham, coffee, dairy etc. threw out sour cream.

will have to order more of my coffee soon and get more kleenex and cat food but that is it.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Reminds me I need to buy pecans. We usually go by to co-op at least once a year, but of course we haven't been going places for a while. Looks like price is still ~$9 per lb.

Reactions: MaggieTru
81 - 86 of 86 Posts