Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went to independent thrift store..got rid of the box in the trunk finally. not a place I go often but took mom ..lots of vintage stuff etc from estates etc sad for them but great for getting good quality stuff. didn't plan on much but found towels like mine but like new. mine are still good and thick just edges getting ragged etc. so I know they are old cus hard to find that quality cheap here. 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and a big bath sheet for dh. even the same colours lol except I didn't get the hand towels like mine lol cus edges going like mine so got the olive ones. found a plastic chamelon watering can and retro bowls that clip together good for cats.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Behold, my new favorite shoes!
Footwear Outdoor shoe Walking shoe Synthetic rubber Sneakers

I promise I went to the shop to try on some athletic shoes I saw there last week. And I DID try them on... and they weren't comfortable. These, however, while 100% innappropriate for hiking and workouts are super comfortable and Ohhhhhhh so cute! I was not able to find this exact style (old season) online for reference, but this brand runs $100+-- real leather, etc-- so I am pretty derned happy with my "new" $5 shoes!

(I am always coveting the painted leather shoes I see in catalogues, but no way would ever buy them... if I had that much money to spare-- and some days I do-- I can think of 1000 much more sensible things to spend it on (or just save it)... so a find like this is the best of both worlds! AND the $5 goes to charity!) Very happy!!!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Last Wednesday I drove out to the SA thrift store (NOT very close, alas... about 2.5 gallons round-trip) and spent about $30 on a whole bag of new-to-me shirts. I could use some new pants, too, but only if they feel like sweatpants and make me look like a runway model, so yeah, that isn't happening 😜

Then yesterday was the first Saturday of the month, and one of my thrift shops was doing a "bag sale"-- basically everything you can fit in a plastic grocery sack for $5. I lucked out and actually found enough stuff to make it worthwhile! Everything was 1/2 off the tag price, but it was cheaper to go with the bag, so for $5 I got:
  • a NWT sports bra... after I tried it on at home, I don't love the fit, but it is fine for gardening
  • a plain grey zip-front hoodie that I am just LOVING
  • and TWO sets of scrubs (The place I am looking to start working in August-ish lets you wear pretty much any combo you want.)

One of the sets was matching turquoise top-and-bottom, the other was actually separates-- dark blue pants and a really pretty floral top. After trying them on, I think they look better if I mix them, not alllll that turquoise in one outfit. Truthfully, none of them are my dream pieces (don't love the pockets on any of them,) but I still have one pair of grey pants from my old school uniform, and I am psyched to have four new pieces to add into the mix for about $1 each. Most of the scrubs I see in the thrifts are either worn out, XS, or both, so I am super-happy with that find!!!

There was also a spaghetti-strap summer top I threw in the bag, which is very pretty, but I am not sure I would ever actually wear it... if not, I can always re-donate it, it didn't cost any extra to add it to the bag.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Z- The $5 bag sounds like a deal! Can the spaghetti strap top be worn under a cardigan/ jacket or low cut dress/top/sweater?

I went on the local neighborhood finds and got a tablecloth for $3. It is sooo tough to find a oval one. She advertised it as "oblong" and it looks like some places consider that oval while others says it's rectangular. I got lucky and it is oval.

·
Super Moderator
20,953 Posts
Congrats on your respective finds!

That was me last yr, Z, buying clothes I didn't really like but made sense for my situation. In my case, I only wear them at home where nobody sees them. It doesn't bother me to privately wear tee shirts advertising a local coach's retirement, 2 defunct bars, and a local steelworkers union, even though I can't stand that coach, don't drink, and have never been an iron miner. But I have brand new tees that only cost me 50 cents or $1 each, all I care. No point in me spending a lot on clothes I only wear at home.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In our nearest town, Pot Hole City, we have a main and 2 satellite Sally Ann, Salvation Army stores.. We also have a quite large other thrift store, a Canadian only thing I think.. We know people who work at one SA and the other store, so we visit often, mostly on senior discount day..

For instance.... On one senior day I scored a Kitchen Aid mixer with all the attachments.. It helps to have the 2 nd machine when it is canning time and like projects..

The thrill of the hunt...

·
Registered
557 Posts
When you hit those bag sales, roll the items tightly before putting into the bag and you can get much more into it.

I hit half price off sale this week at two of my favorite thrift shops and got two pairs of jeans, two of sweat pants, and three knit shirts for $15. The jeans are both NEW one still had the tags on and one of the shirts was also new. The sweat pants went back into my donate box to be returned as they did not fit. I'm between a regular and petite but these petites did not work. Still $15 for two new pairs of jeans without considering anything else was excellent. I'd bought a new pair of jeans at Kohls for $29 earlier this month and one of the pairs I got at the thrift shop are exactly the same. The other pair was Sears and still had the store tag on it.

I got 4 hard cover books for $2.

I got a large tablecloth and 12 napkins for $1. The tablecloth is faded and stained so will not be used but the napkins are all new and never used.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got a large tablecloth and 12 napkins for $1. The tablecloth is faded and stained so will not be used but the napkins are all new and never used.
--- ---
Chuckle.... Maybe that is why the table cloth is so worn.. Napkins were never used....

Yesterday was the last Thursday of the month 1/2 off everything at the Sally Ann, Salvation Army stores in Pot Hole City.. Sweetie made a couple small scores...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts