Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
The tablecloth will be discarded as it has too much polyester to be used for rags. I have way more napkins than I'll ever use. I find bargains like this all the time and now have a large drawer filled with napkins and that's after giving a good supply to my sister. I like to mix and match napkins and placemats and have to admit I have gone way overboard with my collection, but again I've spent very little doing so. When I first switched to cloth napkins, I made a batch. The cost of fabric was ridiculous but then I discovered how readily available they were at thrift shops, auctions and garage sales for 50¢ to $2 for sets. I bought a perfect condition large brocade linen tablecloth with 8 matching napkins for $5 and was hooked. That's the most I've ever paid.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Saturday was the looonnnngggg awaited "Quaker Sale" that has been cancelled since the start of Covid. It was much smaller than previous years, but hopefully the next one will be bigger. Meanwhile, I found:

• small fire safe and plastic bed lifts for my niece who is planning to go away for college this fall
  • a bunch of random pretty gift bags and some tissue paper
  • a bundle of pencils (always need those) and some "clicky pens" (It's a nurse thing...)
  • 3 pairs of new pantyhose I might never actually wear, but now I have some... (I haven't worn them in YEARS)
  • A book and some bookmarks for DD14
  • A knick-knacky notepad/pen set that I will either gift later this year or donate to the high-risk school where my daughter used to attend-- they do a wonderful "free bazaar" every December so their students all have gifts to give at the holidays. (It's not clutter if there's a plan and it's given away by December!!!)

I also have been gathering scrubs for my anticipated upcoming employment... unfortunately, it seems that all the other fat girls around here are frugal and not donating their stuff!!! (How selfish of them!!!! 🤣 ) Most of what I see is in tiny sizes-- but I have some that I can wear to start and some that I am hoping to fit once I stop sitting on this couch eating snacks all the time... 🛋 I have to do some alterations (length), but all in all, I have enough to get me started for under $20, and I will buy more once I have a job...

·
Registered
36 Posts
This past Saturday we had about twice the listed garage sales of the weekend before.. Already there are about that many again listed sales for this coming weekend.. A couple "neighborhood" groups of sales are also advertised..

Saturday was also a "Loot in the Boot" big parking lot sale.. Bring you truck and trailer and set up in a couple parking spots.. First in 3 years since covid started.. This was well attended..

The thrill of the hunt...

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
We've been doing our best to avoid the hunt for years, but did go to a few garage sales last summer. We're at the stage in life where we need to get rid of stuff. The hunt is in direct conflict with downsizing, much as we love it. We need a few little things now so will probably do the citywide sales here in a couple weeks and a few the rest of the summer. But I'll be taking my list and trying not to buy other things, even though failure will be inevitable.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Good luck at the yard sales a woman was telling me yesterday that she went over the week end to 2 flea markets and some yard sales and they had prices on things that just before the virus started we were paying for new items and what she was looking at wasn't knew said it wasn't one two items it all was that way.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
36 Posts
they had prices on things that just before the virus started we were paying for new items
=== ===
Yes... More than the usual amount of sales we have been to so far this season seem to have much too high prices on stuff.. Is it because there were few sales the last couple summers ?? Price of things now ?? Or people just too proud of the stuff they have ?? Let them sit on it for a couple more summers and the price will likely lower...
--- ---
Last weekend I did get 3 name brand grease guns for $10.... Two of them were full of grease.. You can never have too many grease guns and grease around farm equipment...

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
good deals! went to thrift store haven't been for long time..nice and organized too. just reminded us of remember when that was the rage in appliances lol or 80s clothes.. will take kids back there cus vintage to them. got 2 campbell soup mugs 1 each, was half price day for fabric 50 cents for piece of new halloween fabric. and $5 for a classic style linen shift dress for dd. like that they had on the tag buying this pays for school lunch for a child in Africa..good for those who would complain about prices. though their prices are good and store is clean plus the goods in it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Catching up... last Wednesday I got 2 scrub shirts and 2 scrub pants for $0.89 oop after using some loyalty points. 1 of the pairs of pants is new with the $12.96 tag still on it-- but the flip of that is I probably spent about $15 on round-trip gas that day... so a net win, I suppose, but dampened by fuel prices. Saturday I got another pair of scrub pants for $2... and with that, I officially PROMISE I am done buying plain scrub tops for a while (cute patterns and holiday themes are still fair game...) and done buying scrub bottoms except I would like a pair of black ones eventually...

On the non-uniform front, Thursday I visited the local shop on Thursday while running errands. There I got:

• 5 greeting card for $.10/ea (thank you notes for DD18's graduation)
  • a fridge magnet for a September-ish care package $.25
  • a pretty, vintage-y tin for $.50 (I'll store something crafty in in downstairs, but don't know what yet...)
  • a really pretty travel mug for $.50, I've used it twice already, so that is a win-- usually the kids steal-then-lose them before I can use them even once!!!
  • A $3 scooter for DD18, who hasn't even taken it out of my van yet...
  • A little wooden box like you buy at Michaels to paint, filled with mineral rocks for $2

And also on Saturday, a pretty metal hair barrette for $.25 (will I wear my hair in something other than a ponytail/messy bun???) and a baby teether toy that I am going to take apart to use the beads for a project.

Tragically, there were other things in there that I now can't remember... so either I really needed them and used them right away, or didn't need them and they will just add to the clutter (more likely...) And reading all this just confirms what I already know... I need to shop less !!! :)

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
It's a hard habit to break, for sure. I mourned the loss for about a year after we quit, but now, yrs later, we can go to a few sales a yr, enjoy them, and not miss them when we don't go. But our needs are simpler than when we had a family.

It appears I forgot to post my finds at the city-wide sales last month. How did that happen? I don't recall all I got, either. Not a lot of stuff, but we don't need much. It was fun. I did some stash building of fabrics for quilts, a bundle of yardage and a box of large scraps less than a yd. I think it was $8 for both. Some kitchen utensils mostly for the camper, 20 cents to 50 cents. Some free stuff, lumber scraps, a new canvas bag to make over, a 3-drawer cabinet, other stuff. I feel like we bought useful things and didn't add to the clutter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Being bush grandparents to the neighbors 2 she cubs, today we got some play clothes at the thrift store.. This for the girls "dress up" foot locker.. There birthdays are later this month..

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Took DD18 with me running errands today, always a financial error... 🤣

I probably would have left the thrift shop with nothing, but since she found stuff, I went ahead and bought one thing as well... so she got...

• a cozy sweatpants/sweatshirt pajama-esque outfit for her
  • one of those memo boards with the criss-cross ribbons
  • some yankee candle melts

and I bought a large quartz geode that had been dyed pink-- looks like it might once have been part of a pair of book-ends, and I will probably donate that to the free-bazaar at the special needs school when the time comes, but for now, it is pretty to look at...

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
After not thrift store shopping since covid started, except once or twice in town, we made it to a town 2 hrs away, where our favorite thrift stores live. I picked up a few things from my list at GW, where we dropped off 5 boxes of donations, too. I got a glass vase for an orchid, ½ price, $2.50, a 3" stack of sticky loop tape in 4x6 patches, $1, and a vintage blue glass quart jar, 99. The jar was a surprise. Usually I see them for $10 at thrifts including GW.

At SA, we got this cat. Couldn't resist, because he reminds us of our dearly departed Jack. He was $5, but we had a $5 reward card from SA, so he was free.
Bag Creative arts Art Fashion accessory Carmine

I also got 5 small bags of buttons, same style but 2 different colors, $1each, 2 bread knives, an ice cream scoop, frosting knife, a slim wallet to fit in my purse, a package of darning needles, and a small square tea tin, .50 each. Also 2 matching rectangular tins, $1 each, more than I like to pay but they fit a particular space I need them to fit.

At ReStore, we found this sink, like new, $35. I've been looking for yrs for a sink or counter for our second bathroom, so it was a relief to finally get one.
Wood Circle Natural material Plywood Paper product

Another thrift was having a storewide 50% off sale. They had low prices to begin with, and I took full advantage. I restocked my dangerously depleted stash of drawer pulls, picked up a lidless canister for flour, and got a shaker shaped like a tiny mason jar which was on my BOLO list, and a couple other items. I knew I had a mismatched Corelle plate waiting at home to become a pretty lid for the canister. It's a perfect fit.
Product Drinkware Yellow Tableware Automotive tire

I got enough green and white striped fabric for the new quilt top in the camper, although it came in many remnants. I'm hoping there's enough to make new camper curtains, too. That alone made my day. I also picked up other fabric for general purposes and a large piece for a quilt back. I found two sheets at $1.50 each, the bright fishy one for a colorful quilt that will need a backer, and a green one to partially back the new camper quilt. Also a free chip clip and short knife for .20 for the camper.
Rectangle Azure Textile Creative arts Art

The last items from that thrift are a like new bag for stash, because it seemed like I needed one and eventually I will remember what for, a like new slightly larger purse than my usual one, to use when we travel, $2.50, and a book about gardening with heirloom seeds, .20. What I especially love about the purse is the front compartment with the heart shaped zipper pull zips completely off the main purse, so I can just take money and cards if I want.
Brown Luggage and bags Bag Sleeve Font

Then we stopped at our local thrift Saturday and I found a set of forest green and white plaid sheets for the camper, plus a plain green sheet I may need for the camper quilt. Each piece was $1. I was happy with all my purchases during the week, but what really made me smile was FINALLY finding the plates I needed to match our camper dishes! I've been looking for a long time. Couldn't even find them on eBay. But there they were. I paid $5 for 4 salad plates and 2 dessert plates, and I'm still tickled all our camper plates are finally matchy-matchy!
Tableware Dishware Plate Serveware Drinkware

·
Registered
105 Posts
This isn't 2ndhand, but it's one of those amazon return resale shops or something--they get pallets of stuff on Friday and set them out for $5/item, then each day the items go down a $, until they are closed to restock. So we happened upon one on a $3 day. We found a brother label maker refill, 3 filters for our vacuum (!!!!), a set of straw cleaners, deals I was happy with, especially the vacuum filters!

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
I completely forgot about an entire selection of items I got at the half price sale. I set them out and then didn't even take a pic. Must have been still high from the successful hunt. Anyway, I got a NIP parka zipper for stash, $2. A 12x12 remnant of 18 ct aida. About 6 rectangular pieces 18 ct aida (12x18?), NIP, .50 each maybe, very cheap anyway. Five 4x6 plastic canvas pieces with tiny squares, .15 each. One small and 2 large floss palettes Husby needed for cross stitch, cheap, like .25 each, I forget. Large piece of navy blue 14 ct aida, new in square tube pkg, .80. Thought it was 18 ct but that's okay. I'm building 18 ct stash now because Husby decided to like working with it.

Also forgot about the random garage sale we stopped at to kill time waiting for a store to open. We got 4 puzzles .25 each, an assortment of about 6 DVDs 2 @ .25 and the rest free, and a never used planter set for my kitchen windowsill, .50. Another fun sale, plus a bonus chat with nice people.
Publication Art Advertising Poster Recreation

Serveware Font Natural material Metal Cylinder

21 - 39 of 39 Posts