Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Food Tableware Ingredient Kitchen utensil Cutting board

How many new recipes will you try in 2022? Expand your cooking skills! Experience new flavors! Cook healthy at home!

Share recipes or links and let us know how it worked out.

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

My first new recipe of the year. Was very easy to put together. Chicken came out very moist and tender. Lemon gravy was a failure, just too bitter from the cooked lemon peels. I did not blend the lemon rind, but enough of it leaked into the meat juices to make it taste bad. I would use the method again, but save the lemon for the end.

Reactions: MaggieTru

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have a problem of not following recipes exactly, but this one I did for the cake. I had the ingredients for the topping but DH likes it with whipped topping. I have some in fridge to use up so that is what we did. We both really like it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I don't know how many recipes I will try in 2022...but I am currently trying to use up almond flour, coconut flour and vital wheat gluten from a brief experiment with Keto diet...I can do the low carb but NOT the high fat. So I can eat this stuff up anyway.
Last night I tried a bannock/skillet type bread with 2T of each of those and 2 big eggs, and a bit of baking soda and vinegar for extra leavening, a bit of strawberry powder (from my sister...gotta use it up!). It was bread like but dry as DUST by this morning. Coconut flour is a blackhole for moisture! Still, dipped in a thick lentil stew it was good enough. I will keep trying. I think if I make it runnier it could work as pancakes.

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
20,320 Posts
'Tis the season (for diets and cold weather!)

Lower Sugar Hot Cocoa Mix
1⅓ c. Splenda
1 c. powdered milk
1 c. powdered coffee creamer
¾ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
Stir to blend. Store in tightly covered jar. Add ¼ cup mix to 1 cup hot water, or to taste. Makes about 4 cups mix.

For Spiced Cocoa Mix, add 2 tsp ground cinnamon, ½ tsp ground cloves, and ½ tsp ground nutmeg to entire mix. Increase Splenda to 1½ cups.

Based on the recipe from Make Your Own Groceries cookbook. Replace Splenda with sugar for original, or make a hybrid version using half sugar and half Splenda.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thanks CH!!

SD: I was making myself little mochas (with powdered coconut milk since I'm non-dairy) yesterday. Will do hot chocolate next.

·
Registered
10,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Pretty easy, put it in a glass measuring cup and hit it with the stick blender. I made half a recipe with 1 egg. Go light on the mustard and use good oil. More than enough for several salads with half the recipe.

Reactions: MaggieTru

·
Registered
653 Posts
I am going to try the carrots! I have almost all the ingredients and think my good olive oil will work instead of butter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts