Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Did more of the PT homework exercises last night. I can feel how much I've slacked off with them. I know they're not much at the moment but at least I'm moving forward with getting more exercise. I want to build up my endurance again. I'm just a bit annoyed with all the construction going on around where I used to take my walks during lunchtime. While I know the construction is needed, I just miss my usual walking routes (both my usual route and the back up). Sigh. Chances are the construction won't be done until fall at the earliest.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Continuing to do my homework PT exercises. Hopefully, my knee will be stronger now that I'm getting back into LARPing.

Doing a bit meh on the food aspect. Some days are better than others.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I've been doing good with the Silver Sneakers zoom classes. They run classes all day Mon-Fri. Much less o the weekends but still a few. I was looking at the DVDs I have and may as well go through each one once to see if I like any enough to do regularly. Several Kathy Smith, 1 kickboxing, some yoga ones. The nice thing about the zoom classes is they are always mixing it up and explaining everything really well. Easy to get sloppy if nobody is reminding you.
Weather has been too crummy to be in the yard much but I am looking forward to that. Of course walking the dogs daily regardless.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
dlr - I'm looking forward to better weather so I can get into the garden as well. That and the construction around work finally being done so I can get back to my lunch time walks. It's been hard to do those since just about all the paths I would walk has construction.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Just ate my 7th bowl of oatmeal for the week. I did really enjoy it each day (usually just eat toast). However reading articles saying seniors 50+ require more protein than younger people and should try for 25g protein each meal. Doing that at breakfast is difficult. Buying cottage cheese and peanut butter powder on the next grocery run. Did well with exercise classes - 5 this week.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Breakfasts this week are PBJ on homemade whole wheat toast. The peanut butter and bread should have about 15g protein. It's hard hitting that 25g of protein in the morning. Yesterday I had tuna for lunch, a 5 oz can was only 20g protein. This takes work!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Still been doing my PT homework exercises, although not as consistently as I would like. I do need to do better with that.

Been doing a bit better on the food end of things for lunch at work. Trying to get in more veggies or at least vegetarian end of the spectrum. Haven't been hitting the chocolate, which is a good thing. Dinner is currently the problem. I need to do better with that.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I did 24 Silver Sneakers classes in March by my count. Added in their yoga flow classes that they offer 3X weekly. Hoping to improve flexibility in hips and legs. I cannot sit on the floor comfortably so that is a goal. Probably will look for 8 lb weights at some point, currently have 5 lb. Found a Youtube channel with Step routines to try out. I have a Reebok step at home (currently just taking up space), but it is probably my favorite cardio exercise form. Need to cut carbs and focus on getting enough protein at each meal.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I think I saw a new dance 'studio' where the yoga studio used to be. I may stop in and see what classes they're offering and their schedule. There were two dance studios I knew of pre-Covid but I was never sure of one studio's hours. It never seemed to be open when I passed by the place. The one I saw a few days ago seemed to be open and there were a good number of cars. Not sure if they belonged to people going to the dance studio (which is the closest one to me) or the nearby restaurant which is a local favorite just at the other corner of the building.

Did find a new place called "PureGreen" which has acai bowls and oatmeal (as well as smoothies). It's a lot like another store (Sweetberrys?) I went to that shut down during the pandemic (at least in my area). The oatmeal at PureGreen is good (I got the one with fruit and nuts) but is a pretty large serving. I think it can be either 1 or 2 servings, depending on how hungry I am. I'm going to try and go there more often, if I'm out and about, rather than the usual burger/fries.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Looks like my town is installing "Lifetrail" outdoor exercise stations at one of the places I usually walk the dogs. Not completed yet and fenced off currently. At least they are using our assessment money on something beneficial.
I have been slacking off on the free exercise classes the last 2 weeks, will start up again next week. First week I did get out in the yard several times, then just felt tired/off and did not try. Got another recommended vaccine (shingles) so that is taken care of.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've been going up and down the stairs so much for most of this month, I would say that counts as a lot of exercise. It's definitely a lot more than I normally do. The downside of that is that I've been sore for the past couple of weeks. On the upside, my knee hasn't been giving me trouble despite all the exercise.

The food side of things is still terrible, although I've been doing better with it at lunch. I try to pick up more vegetable based foods at lunch and rarely go to the candy machine. I have the cacao tea at work for when I need a chocolate fix.

Next weekend is the start of the gardening season at the community garden I'm a part of. Yay. More exercise and hopefully better eating.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Went to the farmer's market, despite the wet, windy, cold weather. Picked up more stuff than I expected to. One purchase was two different Middle Eastern dishes, something called Fuul (which looked good) and a Red Pepper Spread. I just need to pick up some pita when I go to the grocery store soon. They'll be good for evening meals, rather than picking up burger and fries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OH, I know how frustrating it can be when you change the exercises you loved and did daily. However, during my weight loss journey, one of the best motivations was this weight scale Best Smart Scale | Bathroom Scale | Weight Scale. I know it's a bit cliche and boring, but this one is special from all the usual ones you saw. This boy reminded me to work out and stay consistent, and the results I saw each week or month motivated me even more. If you love seeing results in number and body measurements, this is the best investment.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Did exercise classes 5 days last week, plan to do 5 or 6 this week. I need to either use my big exercise ball or deflate it and put away somewhere. It just takes up space in the room right now. There are plenty of Youtube videos based on using it, should try a few this week to see if I like any.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
I was motivated by your post and got some red pepper hummus at Aldi yesterday, and a bag of giant sized carrots I'll have to cut up. Needed something healthy to snack on this week while it's hot, trying to cook as little as possible.

Reactions: renmerc446

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
CH: Good for you!!

Someone mentioned having carrots with the red pepper spread, rather than the pita. Definitely worked out well, although I do like it with pita as well. I think this is going to be a regular purchase during the summer.

I think I'll put the spread (which is kinda like hummus although firmer and uses different ingredients, I think) in the pita with some microgreens I also picked up at the market. I didn't think about doing that last night. I do need to eat healthier and add more veggies into my diet.

Good thing is I'm back in the garden so I'm getting more exercise there. And I'm regularly up and down and just generally more restless when I'm home. So I'm moving around a bit more, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Did some more work in my garden, although there is still a lot more to be done. I'm going to be exhausted tomorrow since we're doing our first community garden clean up day. So, a lot more exercise.

The cafeteria at work is going to be closed the next two weeks due to large events going on at work and staffing shortages. Sigh. So the red pepper spread, microgreens and pita will be my lunch for the duration. Thankfully, there is a fridge in the team/group room so I don't have to haul in every morning. I just have to remember that I have it in the fridge.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Did 6 exercise classes last week also. Worked in the yard 3 hours today so that's a benefit.
Wondering if anybody has tried a sleep monitor gadget (like a watch) and if so is it worth the cost?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
1 exercise class last week but worked in the yard daily Tuesday-Saturday. Also again this morning. If we have a rainy day (Tuesday) and I don't work in the yard then I will do a SS exercise class. Trying to go to bed earlier as I've seen recommended several times/places. This is hard.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts