Frugal Village Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Been very bad about picking up junk food in the evenings lately. I do need to stop getting burgers and fries all the time. Sigh. I am eating a bit better a lunch, when I can. Especially this week since I've been bringing lunch to work. I need to keep doing that more, although with more protein since I end up being hungry in the evenings. Once the cafe reopens next week, I can pick up tuna salad or a hard-boiled egg or something.

Haven't really been doing much in the way of exercise specifically, although I have been moving around more in general. Not only at work but just a lot restless movement at home. Problem is, they're doing so much construction at work, it's a pain to get my usual lunch time walks in. By the time I get home, I'm usually ready to kick back and not do anything. Then again, I do need to stop in the garden more since I do have weeding to do.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Signed up for Pilates. My first class is next Thursday. The classes are small due to limited space but that's a plus for me. On one hand, I really want to find in-person yoga classes since that's supposed to have a meditative aspect to it, as well. But the two places I knew were in the area at one point have both gone virtual and I really want to learn the poses/moves directly from a teacher before I even consider taking virtual classes. On the other hand, Pilates is supposed to focus on core muscles, which will be helpful in my gardening.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Good luck with the Pilates. I took a class once that was all floor Pilates and it was challenging.
Latter half of May I was doing a lot of yard work so did not do as many video exercise classes as I intended. But it was good to get the yard work done. Mosquitoes have arrived so not very pleasant. I have been trying out "sleep music" podcasts, mostly piano. They are quite relaxing.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks, dlr. Fortunately, this won't be an all-floor class. They have the equipment pretty much all set up and it looks like it stays that way. They clean it between classes, of course. I do need to get into the garden more. I plan on getting some done over the weekend. Next week looks like it's a good time to get into the garden after work so I hope to get more done then as well.

Been trying to eat a little better as well.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Took the intro Pilates class. Decided to sign up for the initial 3 month membership but only once a week to start. On one hand, the leg focused exercises are fine, especially since I've done some of my PT homework exercises and do a bit of walking in general. On the other, the arms and core/abs exercises are harder. I haven't done, let alone focused on anything that targets the abs. But that's ok since I do need to focus on that as well. I'm probably going to end up sore tomorrow. And they do adapt if you can't do the exercises as done normally. My knees didn't like me kneeling on the floor.

I'm also trying to eat a bit better as well.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
First full Pilates class today. I am sore! I will probably be even more sore tomorrow. I plan on taking an ibuprofen before bed so I can actually sleep. Right now, I'm glad I started with just one class a week. I don't think I could deal with more.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Not as sore this morning as I expected to be. Still a bit sore but just enough to know I used those muscles last night. My legs are fine, probably because I do a bit of walking even at work. I've never focused on my upper body, though.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Once a week is good while your body gets adjusted. I did a couple of the 15 minute zoom exercise classes Silver Sneakers has. Good for sneaking in just a quick bit of extra movement. The normal class length is 45 minutes.
I'm paying attention to how hungry I am at breakfast and eating less if I don't really want it.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
dlr: Yeah, once a week is all my body can handle at the moment. :lol: The Pilates place has three levels of memberships. I took the lowest one (4 classes per month) to see if I liked it enough to continue with it. I do have to commit to the initial 3 month membership or risk being 'penalized' for it (have to pay for 3 months). After 3 months, I can cancel or upgrade my membership a lot more easily. Either way, this is a good start for me. I'm doing this for myself so I'm pretty sure I'm more likely to keep at it. That's another benefit of having done PT for my knee a while back. I realized I can do this and keep up with it.

I'm also starting to pay attention to what I'm eating more as well. I'm bypassing dessert a bit more, although not entirely.

There's a 10 minute meditation offered almost every day at work. It's a Zoom 'meeting'. That's one of the things I wanted to go to Yoga for, so doing that meditation and Pilates kinda covers what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Went to my Pilates class yesterday but ended up leaving a bit early. I wasn't feeling good (stomach issues) but wanted to make an effort. I do want to make Pilates a habit. Not sure if it was something I ate/drank or just stress. Ended up just having toast and dried apricots for dinner.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Ren I agree it's always good to try. Fortunately w/ the Silver Sneakers classes I can usually just decrease intensity or stop an exercise early (after 75% of the reps instead of 100% for example) and then they move on to a different exercise. I just did 2 15-minute classes. May do 45 minutes Yoga at lunch time. I am finding out which instructors I like for which classes.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I wanted to do Yoga but couldn't find an inperson studio that was really local to my area. I'm sure there's one but not as close as the Pilates studio is. The studios that used to be in my area do offer virtual classes but I want to learn the moves/forms from an actual person in order to make sure I do them correctly.

I've been 'attending' the 10 minute meditation Zoom meetings offered through work. These zoom meetings allow me to stay in the office, rather than having to go to another building. Fortunately I have my own office. :)

I am trying to do a bit better with eating better, especially eating more vegetables. There's a vendor at the local farmers market that offers a prepared meal that I sometimes get. (Depends on what they have available.) That meal usually ends up being enough for two meals for me, which is nice.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Another Pilates class today. I'm a bit sore now so I'm probably going to be even more so, tomorrow morning. I'm just glad I'm keeping up with it and not abandoning it because I'm sore.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Not as sore this morning as I expected to me. Probably because I took an ibuprofin before bed last night.

Trying to eat better and even missed dinner on Monday because I wasn't that hungry. Missing a meal is not a big deal for me since I do need to lose weight. I'm actually trying to eat later in the evenings anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am trying to lose weight too, it's why I shopped for Mediterranean diet stuff this week. So far so good, lost 3 pounds, but I had lost 16 lbs, and gained 7 of it back, so...I don't know anymore, I just need to lose at least 60 lbs, so. Ugh.

Went on a walk 2 days this week so far, and want to get a membership at our local gym, hopefully today even.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
VexedAngel: Good work on what you've done so far! Small goals and small steps will get you there. I started taking Pilates because I wanted to get more exercise and there's just too much construction going on around where I work to even attempt getting back to my lunch time walks.

I've been taking the Pilates for about a month now. Funny thing is, one of the staff at the studio thought I was taking two classes a week, instead of just the one. Nope, I'm starting small and will be working my way up to things.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Vexed - it's a lot of work, I know. What kinds/forms of exercise do you like? I loved step classes so much but nobody offers those now.
I am 65+ so strength training is very important to me. I also keep reading recommendations to take in lots of protein each meal and I have to boost my calcium intake for bone density. So I'm eating lots of yogurt and cottage cheese. Working on improving sleep also, I keep reading how important that is. I have 2 dogs and already get in lots of walking and am outside in all sorts of weather conditions.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Stopped at the bike shop today to look and get an idea of what is available. I've wanted a bike for years, we have trails around here, and I would love to do longer weekend rides into the country. DH has no interest, though. But maybe if I start doing it myself he'll get on board.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Vexed - it's a lot of work, I know. What kinds/forms of exercise do you like? I loved step classes so much but nobody offers those now.
I enjoy walks and the recumbent bike at the gym, sometimes the treadmill, but really have to be in the right mood for that. I also really enjoy weight machines, so that's mostly why I want to get back to the gym. I enjoyed step aerobics, too, so I just did a YouTube search, and looks like there's a bunch on there!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts