Frugal Village Forums banner

2023 Gardening Thread

13K views 266 replies 20 participants last post by  sham1406 
#1 ·
New Year, new thread...

Any plans started yet?

#105 ·
I transplanted some tomatoes to bigger pots. The roots were coming out the bottom of the starter tray. I also transplanted the one good looking cantaloupe. The other looked deformed, so into the compost it went.

I had three spots in the seed starter tray where nothing came up - cantaloupe and parsley. So I planted one more cantaloupe seed and three parsley seeds in each of two starter tray spots. I need more than one parsley plant to get me through the year for parsley. I am already down to the last of my home dried parsley from last summer.

Plant Handwriting Font Terrestrial plant Rectangle

#107 ·
Prepping some pots to see what happens. Potting soil was dry as dust so I added hot water (it absorbs faster) and now waiting for it to cool. Going to put in 2 each of cucumber, shishito pepper, thai basil, and swiss chard. Chard is the only thing I am sure will germinate below 70F. We keep the house at 68, and our outdoor temps are not warm enough yet.

#108 ·
Nothing happening with the seeds. I check every day but with night temps near freezing it's not getting warm enough during the day yet.

I planted sugar snap peas outside on Saturday. Monday night we had cold rain and light snow, so I don't expect those up anytime soon either. Some of the onions are peeking up and the garlic and strawberries look good.

Went to the community garden to get early spring plants. First day of sale was last Friday and I have not been able to get there. Today they were sold out of everything but cabbage. Very disappointed. They are supposed to have strawberries and asparagus on Friday and I will miss that, too. There was a huge line anyway, so I did not stay to get more seed or ask about straw. I'll just go to the hardware store.

My hyacinth are blooming, and this is not a great angle, but they smell heavenly. I usually get a new one every year, but did not see any this winter.

Flower Plant Purple Groundcover Terrestrial plant

#109 ·
CH the hyacinth look beautiful and I wish I could smell them from here!

The plants in the AG are zipping right along. The peas are now tall enough that I had to extend the arm of the light so they wear a little more distance between the grow light and the plant. Everything except the parsley which was late going in so it’s not up yet but everything else is looking good. The chives are now peeking over the edge of the AG basket. They don’t seem to grow as fast as the other plants are but I’ve heard they can be tough to grow in an AG so I’m just happy they came up.

The mini greenhouse plants grew enough that I had to take the lid off. The peas are about four inches high. Every else is very tiny and almost spindly looking. My gardening buddy suggested I put them in the sun more so during te day I’ve been moving them around. It’s way to soon to move them outside.

#111 ·
Redspruce I don't fertilize seedlings beyond using fresh good quality starting mix. I may use Miraclegro (mixed from blue crystals) once the individual plants have gotten larger, if they need it. Out in the garden they get composted chicken manure, and sometimes I make manure tea from a handful of dried pellets and a jug of water, for the house plants on the deck.

Look what happened over night! I watered a bit around dinner last night and these were not there!

Plant Flower Green Flowerpot Houseplant

That is my test chard, I put 2 in each pot and 3 came up!

#114 ·
Red, you may want to consider an continuing education gardening course if your community offers them. That would give you expert advice geared toward conditions in your area.

I'm not sure we'll even have a garden this yr. I hope at the least we get some snap peas and beans in the ground, and some potatoes.

#116 ·
I decided to google purple leaf curl and got this article…

Why tomato leaves turn purple

I can’t see any bugs, so I went with phosphorus deficiency. I gave them diluted fertilizer…about half strength. We’ll see how they do. The only other thing I think it could be is they are about 6 feet from the deck door. We may be leaving the door ajar too long for them and the blast of cool air is turning them purple. If that’s the issue I can move them to another room. We’ll see if the fertilizer works first.

#117 ·
The peas have now sprouted past the grow light in the AG! I used shish kabob sticks to stake them up. Everything else is growing nicely. The basil looks close to being ready to use. The parsley is coming up now.

It snowed last night and I wanted to cry. I’m over it, done, finished, no more snow! Thankfully I must have whined enough because it was only a dusting, hahaha.

Most people around here plant Memorial Day weekend. I usually shoot for the end of this month or beginning of May. We will have to see what the temps are like.

#122 ·
Your tomatoes look great Redspruce. I'm going to seed mine now that it is warming up.

My cucumbers broke soil Friday morning, I noticed them just before we left for the weekend. 3 of the 4 came up. My basil has also sprouted. Waiting on the peppers.... could be any day now. It's been in the 70's and Tues is supposed to get into the 80s!

#123 ·
My AG plants look great. My other plants look very “spindly”. I’ve got them on top of the entertainment center so the light from the front door window would hit them. I don’t think they are getting enough light maybe? I moved them over to the kitchen window so they are in direct sunlight plus some of the grow lights from the AG can help them.

I have a terrible track record with seeds so I’m not sure these guys will make it but I’m hoping I can nurse them along.

#124 ·
My AG plants look great. My other plants look very “spindly”. I’ve got them on top of the entertainment center so the light from the front door window would hit them. I don’t think they are getting enough light maybe?
that would be my guess too. I was told on a gardening group today that I need heat mats under my tomatoes if I grow them this time of year. 😔. More money…

#126 ·
I catalogued all my seeds yesterday. I have 68 varieties! So I will NOT be buying any. The gardens are a hot mess after a very strange weather year last year. I didn't even plant most of the garden area. Oh well. 2023 is a new year...hope springs eternal.

A friend gave me a "bucket of seeds" from a seed savers organization that she bought in 2011 but it had never been opened and it was free (a year ago...) so I'm going to try some of the greens and super short season crops right in the ground and see if anything takes. If not, no harm, no foul.

The saved beans should work well again. I hope! And the camelina seed that I saved after growing some out that I got at the local food co op.
I'm trying to keep focussing on what wants to grow and just learn to eat that.

I will be making more effort on greens too! They are so expensive. Already marking the nettles patches by my creek as I will be eating more of those this year. They are free and I don't have to try to grow them.

#127 ·
I spent a number of years learning what will grow well for me here without spending $$$ on amending the soil or building special environments for fussy plants. State agricultural sources were a big help.

Thought I had more starter pots but was only able to find about a dozen. Put in 3 each of the 3 tomato varieties I have, 2 sweet peppers (random colors), and 2 sage each in 2 pots. That leaves me a few for something else.

Also started cleaning up some of the trash that had accumulated on the deck over the winter.

#129 ·
MaggieTru wow, 68 varieties? That’s awesome. Yes, you definitely don’t need to buy anymore. I hope you have good luck with the seeds your friend gave you.

CH funny you mentioned checking in on your state agricultural resources. I just did that last night! I joined a gardening in Maine group on Facebook and found some links posted there by folks that were a big help.

One thing I need to do tomorrow if the weather cooperates is pull the dead stuff out of the planters. I never bothered with it last fall. Dh mentioned called the pool company to have them come out and take the cover off and get things ready to roll. We will need to clean it but this gives us plenty of time to get that done before we swim.

#130 ·
Ordered peppermint deer repellent "Deer Out" ($40) and a pump sprayer ($12) to try and protect the hostas (which were free). Last year the deer came through on June 1 and ate them all down. Thinking of inviting sis-in-law and her friend for lunch one day so I can pick their brains for ideas on the back yard. They both belong to the same garden club.