Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 315 Posts

· Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello stash managers! I’m starting this to the sound of New Year’s fireworks. Another year, more (or less) stash to manage, depending on how 2022 went.

Here we talk about what we do and the materials we have to do it with - hobbies, crafts, DIY, pretty much anything, with lots of friendly excursions into food, weather, just how life is going. This started years ago as a use it up thread, but that was unrealistic, so now we focus on managing the flow in and out. At least that’s our excuse for being here. Everyone is welcome. Come join in! We have a lot of fun.

· Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think my 2022 was a wash. A lot of stash out that I admitted I was never going to use, but a lot of cross stitch kits and materials added. There’s probably not much less, but it’s much more focused, so I’m counting that a win.

Those of you who have been here know this is the year I start the huge spectacular Chatelaine pattern. That will take up a lot of my time, but I also plan to keep working through the kit stash and trying really hard not to add anything more. I also want to keep working on finishing things and not go galloping off in all directions starting a bunch of new projects. The Chatelaine Chinese garden will be the steady background, with smaller kits to feed the urge to start new things. I also want to whittle down the WIP pile. That at least is the plan.

· Super Moderator
24,802 Posts
I expect my 2023 will see the using up of a lot of excess items in many categories, along with the sale of many items we don't need or won't have room for. It should be a very interesting and busy year for us as the plan for our new house comes into better focus. Big changes coming up.

· Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m going to follow along with the Just Get It Done Quilts challenge, adapting it to cross stitch/embroidery stash. I watched a few bits of last year’s when the YouTube suggestions randomly tossed one my way. It seemed down to earth and not too overwhelming. My stash is in pretty good order, but having moved so much sewing stash out, it’s psychologically a big reset. The fabric was always a nagging presence in the back of my mind demanding to be used. It feels good to have booted that out to the degree that what’s left will just sit there quietly and leave me alone. Lol.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
I changed my sewing room calendar yesterday. I keep old calendars because I don't write on them, and 2006 and 2017 are identical to 2023. I chose the 2006 "Lady and Unicorn" one to re-use this year. And I did not toss the 2022 calendar, which I can use again in '33.

I signed up for the challenge. Receipts and stuff that needs to be filed is going to take more than 15 minutes, lol! But that's a good reminder, I'm sure I have old file folders that need to be emptied, and a stack of things to put away. And I got rid of fabric boards years ago, but yeah, "archeological" definitely describes my space. I probably could thin out my collection of used padded mailers since I'm not doing a lot of mailing these days.

Anyway, today I should finish the last row of the star quilt, then I can move to sewing the rows together. The long seams will have to be pinned.

Looking at a bundle of Kaffee Fasset fat quarters on sale..... don't exactly need them, but soo pretty.

Quilt bee is going to be on the 16th. I saw in the newsletter they had more links to the '23 mystery quilt, and I'm not going to do it. Blocks are all different sizes and I can't use my cutter. Not going down that road. They are also pointing folks toward this pattern for kid sized quilts:

Rectangle Product Font Creative arts Pattern

It's free on the site now, so I got it and will have a look later, but I suspect that thin center strip will have to be hand cut, so... no. I'll keep my focus on using the plaids and the fishing/hunting fabric I bought so much of for making adult sized lap quilts.

And now I need to get moving before I spend all day on the computer.

· Super Moderator
24,802 Posts
Furniture Rectangle Wood Chair Bag

I'm starting out with a small recently created UFO project, the quilt ruler rack upcycled from a brochure holder. I removed a multitude of little nails and then the vertical dividers, which turned out to be glued, nailed, and then sprayed with varnish that acted like glue. I totally destroyed the first one but learned enough lessons that I could switch tactics and tools and remove the last 3 in good enough condition for reuse. It ain't pretty but should be okay after sanding and painting. I still like it and look forward to using it in the new sewing room someday. My biggest problem now is deciding on a paint color when I don't know what color the room will be.

· Registered
2,252 Posts
I have several q uilt blocks i need to finish embroidery and several that ready to set togeather i am thinking of trying to work on embrodery don't know if i will be able to have arthrist so bad and other health problems.I us't piece quilts,quilted and embroidery but never learned to chrocha.Happy new year and good luck to everoney.🌷

· Registered
13,526 Posts
SD, a white or light neutral is always a good choice. You're going to stuff it with rulers and tools anyway. Having a light base color will make it easier to repaint later if you want something darker or brighter.

· Super Moderator
24,802 Posts
I'm hoping to never have to paint the new rack again. I will paint it this time before reassembly. Painting afterward would be difficult, so I need to pick a color I can live with. Maybe the sandy color would be best.

· Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ermadunk - I have arthritis too, so I know how that can interfere with what we want to do. Maybe if you carefully pace yourself, you can enjoy at least some handwork, but I know how painful it can be sometimes.

CH - I’m spending more than 15 minutes gathering trash. At the moment though I’m still working on the whole house to reclaim it from chaos. At least working through the challenge I feel like I have permission to just put most of the clutter from the sewing randomly in containers, stack it neatly by the machine and deal with it in small bites as it comes up day by day. My most important house job today is to get the worktable back in its regular place. I have to shift the two cabinets by it away from the wall to get the power strip back to its original place too. I’m glad I have the plastic cabinets. They aren’t beautiful, but they were relatively cheap and best of all, they’re lightweight so I can push them around by myself.

It’s warm enough here to have the house open for a couple of days. It’s unusual, but nice.

· Registered
93 Posts
Boy, last year really bottomed out on me Nov/Dec. One (small) family crisis after another. New year, new outlook for me!
I want to do more sewing and use up most of the small fabric stash that I have. DGD does NOT like dolls so any doll clothes I make will just have to be for me. I can deal with that.
I want to continue the crocheting for charity. Hats, baby blankets and smaller afghans. I have my eye on a 3D granny square afghan and buffalo plaid one that I would enjoy. I want to use up the odds and ends of yarn too.
I always knit some dishrags and wash cloths.
Mainly I want to get my craft/sewing/office room in order!
Thank you all for the inspirations!

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Ressa, sounds like a good plan.

DC, I forgot I had bead stuff all over the table, so that was the first thing I cleaned. I can get it out again when my bead order shows up. Not much trash today, I did some cleaning over christmas weekend.

3 of the 7 rows of the star quilt are done. I'm setting it aside to continue with the strip cutting for the PL mystery quilt. Probably have to re-iron all the fabric. Hope I have enough. I didn't take their requirements real seriously. I'll figure something out if I come up short.

58 this afternoon. I think DH and I will go for a walk before too long. Not quite warm enough to have windows open, but I don't need a flannel shirt today.

· Registered
3,039 Posts
I hope life is quieter Ressa for a few months. Does your dgd like to dress up stuffed animals? My dd didn't like dolls either but use all the doll stuff on her bears and other stuffies. of course little pet shop, webkins were huge then and came with clothes. Some barbie. We got reminded of the hamster craze zhu zhu pets that had clothes too. my little pony..

zoom chat so worked on my scarf. though would be enough for hat and scarf but nope not if the scarf is a decent length.

· Registered
93 Posts
marthamfi, dgd and dgs both LOVE stuffed animals. But no, dgd does not like to dress them. However, I often make stuffed animals, sewn or crocheted, and the child is thrilled and wants everything. I used to sew dresses for my girls. This kid won't wear a dress. Hahah... I do have some old child sized playpal dolls and used to put her outgrown clothes on them. She hates those dolls.
I really enjoy this grandkid. So much personality!
DD2 sent me a tiktock about the most beautiful quilt. The mother had made a late wedding quilt for her daughter and it was one of those bookshelf ones. The mom had out the names of all the books the girl had read since she was a child on the spines and had family photos. It was beautiful!
DD2 followed up with a text reassuring me that she shared things like that with me because they were beautiful, NOT as a hint to make them.
Assured her that I knew that, since the things were way out of my league!

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Cold, foggy, and damp this morning. good day to stay home and do something. I'll get another row or two sewn on the star quilt. Time to collect up any leftovers and sort them into the scrap pile, or back into the general collection. I've got a bit more of the mystery quilt to cut, too.

On the declutter challenge front, I'll collect up trash from various rooms and get it ready to go out tomorrow. Got a lot of old catalogs, magazines and such to look through and see if I still want to keep any. I'm already keeping a list of current and future projects. I have pinterest for ideas, but don't want to get too carried away, I've already got months of work ahead of me.

Got a $5 reward for Michael's on my phone. My bead order hasn't shipped yet, so I'm going to hold onto the coupon until stuff gets here. There's bound to be something I forgot or don't have, and one thing M's does have is a good bead selection. They've been taken over by so much floral and home dec I rarely go over there any more.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

1 - 20 of 315 Posts