Frugal Village Forums banner
721 - 740 of 782 Posts

· Registered
3,484 Posts
Didn't really do anything today. I had to go to the pharmacy this morning because there was an issue with dosage for one of my meds. My Dr. upped my dosage last month but the pharmacy only gave me that the lower dose when I picked them up earlier this month. Then they said I still needed to pick up the higher dose one. Sigh. I only need the higher dose prescription so I had to get that straightened out. That kinda threw things off since the pharmacy itself doesn't open until 10 am on Saturdays, even if the store part opens earlier.

I took a nap this afternoon so I've been lazy. When I did get to my stash-gan, I had to frog a bit because I messed up a stitch which bothered me. Fortunately it wasn't that much of a hassle since it was barely one row. Other than that, I finished one skein and started another. I think between the current skein and 1lb one I'm going to use next, I should be finished with this stash-gan. If not, I'll only need a couple partial skeins, which I have. After that, I have to decide on what I want to do next. I still have several of the navy blue skeins that I'm wondering if I have enough of to make a full sized afgan out of or if I just want to make two lapgans with what I have. I found a couple of 1lb skeins I can make lapgans out of or maybe even full sized afgans. I'll have to look at those again to see if I have enough.

· Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
I found 2 small washboards in the garage to use for laundry room decor. Now I'm trying to find some laundry room cross stitch to fit in them. Could be tricky. I still have to look through our own patterns. There must be something. I don't know why I'm so obsessed with that space.

· Registered
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #724 ·
My thought also was to look on Etsy for laundry patterns.

I can’t even say I’m off to a slow start. It’s really a non start today. I’ve just been idly watching YouTube and finally got something to eat. My knees are crackly and painful today and uninterested in doing anything mobile, so it looks like it’s going to be mostly a cross stitch day. I’ll keep working on the phoenix, but I’m using stronger reading glasses for it and have to stop now and then to rest my eyes. 32 stitches to the inch is possible, but wearing. The pattern is also harder to read, even enlarged, and it’s easy to get lost in it. I made pretty good progress last night. I said I wasn’t going to do it all in one go, but I really want to get it finished and get back to a more sensible section. It’s done with a single strand so at least it’s really frugal with the floss. Lol. On the other hand, I work and work and it looks like I’ve done nothing. 😂

· Registered
3,154 Posts
You are going great guns Spirit! sounds like everything is going great from what I have read. Funny isn't it..Pink used to be a boy colour cus too strong for girls. colour all depend on the tones. pink and brown is nice. All the 80s and 90s fashion is coming back so pink shirts and flowers for guys.

I think it is that type of day DC esp w time change. And weather doesn't know if it will be spring or winter. grey and 50 here but feels colder. has been a busy week but today.. nope lol dh is out w friend and then will take ds driving. have to run dishwasher etc. I went to see friend about 40 mins away while dh took old car to other friend out there and then I picked him up. gave her the granny square she asked for ages ago but just haven't seen each other. She gave me some readers good quality ones. she used to buy at auctions and resell but now just getting rid of stuff.

Of course since the stores didn't know about the projects not much is finished so at least I had my reg stuff to do. so makes things up in the air for schedule. but will see. breakfast w friends tomorrow at least. zoom chat so will crochet during that since I haven't finished anything.

I was reading one of my reg blogs down under and they were talking about food shortages and about one she reads from uk. though that found that Jamie Oliver is doing one pound wonders (per servings) series to help people in uk feed themselves cheap but healthy so went to his site. He has a recipe book you can download for free so I did. lots of good ones. the veggie roll looks good and I just bought some puff pastry for the apple tarts I am doing from the regency cooking. The no bake cake sounds good too with some changes for dh allergies. No bake pizza too.

· Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
Thanks, DLR. 🙂 I think I found something I like. It won't fit in the washboards, but that's okay. I won't have much wall space in the laundry, so luckily won't need a lot of decor. Simple and sorta quick.
Product Rectangle Textile Organism Art

Martha, I've been reading how pink used to be "for boys" and blue "for girls" but then it flipped. There's been a lot of discussion about colors lately due to all the fake outrage in some circles that corporations are trying to "turn kids gay". As if. Some days I'm convinced people can't get any more gullible, but then they continue to prove me wrong. 😂😂😂 Lots of color discussion going on here at home, too. Husby is again looking at pink for his office, having decided the reds were all too dark for such a small room. I forget the name of the color, something or other Tutu. Totally cracks me up! But I think a nice medium pink would look fine with his dark brown desk, as long as he stays away from the Pepto-Bismal shade.

I got Husby's murse altered. It turned out to be quite easy and quick, except for handwork on the strap. I took 2-3" out of the middle of the ends and bottom to get rid of the wider base, so the sides and bottom are all the same width now. Now it's not so clunky and looks more like a mini messenger bag than a women's purse. I also made the two straps into one for a cross-body bag. It's much nicer. I picked the purse out of the free box to use for a tool case, but it didn't fit. Husby loves red and decided he wanted it. Should look wonderful with his purple Vikings jacket. 😂😂😂 He's been looking for a bigger bag for a while now, so this worked out nicely. I hope he likes it, but of course won't know till he uses it a while.
Brown Luggage and bags Bag Beige Magenta

· Registered
1,805 Posts
I had a looonnggg streak of not buying anything at the craft stores since before new year, but broke that Friday to buy yarn to make a baby blanket for a co-worker. Then today I will have to go back because I used up the last of my baby-blue yarn on the temperature blanket and need more.

Yesterday I finished the second long "scarf" (panel) that will be part of the temperature blanket, so once I finish joining parts 1 and 2, I'll actually have something to show you guys.

· Registered
13,751 Posts
Nice make over with the purse, SD. I like the "Laundry" project, too.

Zhoen, if you've run out of course you need more baby blue. It's not going to sit in a closet is it? I almost hit the buy button on some expensive fabric online last night, but stopped myself. A friend is having cancer surgery in 2 weeks and I want to make a lap quilt, but I think I can find something closer to home that's not $22/yd.

M, thanks for the link. I'm always looking for new ideas. Here's one of my favorites. FreeCookbook — Tiny Budget Cooking I'm not sure when it was last updated, so the prices might be off what with the ongoing inflation. Lots of good recipes and advice there.

Today will probably be a slow day. It's grey and cold. Meeko tipped her litter box during the night, so there is cleaning to do.

· Registered
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #729 ·
It’s been a nothing day here, just frittering it away, but that’s ok. I got a fair amount done on the phoenix last night, but I need to pick out a few stitches and redo. I was completely lost between the confetti and the pattern and finally just picked a green and filled in the holes. However seeing the whole area finished, a wing, I’ve ended up with an dark line where there shouldn’t be a line and it looks really weird. Deformed wing. So I’ll fix that. After that I have the big tail feathers but it looks like there may be a little less confetti there. There’s a little backstitching on it and I’m not sure what to use for it. I think I’m going to try regular sewing thread and hope it will show up. Anything else is going to be really heavy for it.

· Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
Grocery prices vary so much I don't know why people list them with recipes. Even within the same town they vary. I find it interesting to read prices on our boards here because it's surprising to compare what we each consider a good buy or seeing what others get on sale.

I got the saw stand assembled while adding to my stash of swear words. Instructions included part numbers in instructions that were different than in parts list and other fun problems. I love Masterforce tools but c'mon.
Wood Floor Flooring Gas Mirror

The inspector showed up halfway through and didn't improve my mood when he went on a transphobic tangent because his granddaughter had come home from school with a rainbow heart painted on her face, which had nothing at all to do with inspecting our windows and insulation. Too bad I don't have a pride flag to tack up on the wall for next time. I don't get why he assumed the heart wasn't just a heart and the colors weren't just because kids like pretty colors, and why he assumed we need or want to know his political grievances. I'm starting to dislike this guy more and more. Unfortunately we're stuck with him for at least 2 yrs.

· Registered
13,751 Posts
Wasn't much going on here either. Meeko got her kennel nice and cleaned. DH and I did some other stuff that got left over the weekend. We both have sore backs. Day started in the 20's and only barely got above freezing so I did not get out to the garden as planned. Tomorrow I want to plant onions and lettuce. Hope it is warmer. People with more energy than me are already harvesting lettuce and radishes around here.

The whole "rainbows mean xxxxxxxx" thing has me shaking my head, too.

I think the grocery prices and price-per-serving are a good way to get people thinking about spending and budgeting. For the Tiny Budget book it was a way to show people they could eat healthy on very little, with minimal kitchen ware and it does include caveats that prices vary somewhat. One of the biggest complaints I hear about cooking at home, from people who don't, is the cost of all the ingredients and tools. One could easily spend $50+ on basics like flour, salt, rice, beans, carrots, onions, oil, and a handful of herbs and seasonings. So why eat beans and rice for a week when you can go to a fast food burger place for less?

SD, that's a nice looking table saw, and I like the wheels on the stand. Very handy.

· Registered
1,474 Posts
SD sorry about the building inspector. We had a firefighter come in to change the batteries in our smoke detector (we cannot climb ladders and it can’t be done without one). While he was there he was carrying on about how he moved here as a job he’d applied for in another state was given to someone else. He claimed it’s because the guy was a minority. He also rambled on slamming the Democrats for everything from global warming to the color of the grass. I said to him that in the future he might be wiser to know the audience before he starts talking.

CH you’re right about the price of outfitting a kitchen and why some choose fast food. When our daughter moved into her new house I bought her some spices - cinnamon, garlic powder, onion powder and so on. We also got her flour, yeast, sugar, baking powder and soda as well as cream of tarter. She was so grateful.

I did a little work on the needlepoint the last couple of days. I took a close look at the Aerogarden this morning (day 4) and there’s a teeny tiny sprout coming up! It’s thyme (play on words?). Lol That totally made my day.

· Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
Great news about the AG, Hikr. I had to zip my lip with this inspector, which was difficult. He could derail our entire house project if we get on his bad side. Husby changed the subject. We don't know why he brought up the trans topic, but he likes to talk about random stuff. He had all the talking points down from a certain "news" network well known for lying to its audience. He's kind of a weird guy.

I didn't get a single board cut today. By the time I got done with the stand I was tired and crabby, not a good frame of mind to learn a new, dangerous tool. But I won't have any choice tomorrow. Inspector wants to see the wall I haven't even started before the Sheetrock goes on, which could be Thursday or Friday, if we don't get the 12" of snow potentially arriving Thursday.

· Registered
1,474 Posts
Good morning! One of the basil seeds has sprouted! Still waiting on the rest. Happy I am growing basil - I made a recipe last night that used basil and I was sure I had some but after an exhaustive search it turns out I didn’t. I threw in some Italian seasoning instead which was fine. Winter storm watch in effect here and the storm has just started. 3-6” of snow / frozen mix today and 8-12” tomorrow is the prediction. We are on the coast and that could mean more rain vs snow but it’s hard to tell which way it will swing. We’ve got plenty of food for us (and Ginger) and plenty of other supplies. Our whole house stand by generator is just waiting to spring into action if the power goes out so it looks like we are staying put for a couple of days. I want to plant the seeds I purchased and get them started so I can move them outside if the weather ever warms up. I’ll try to work a little bit of stash busting in there too.

SD I know the TV station of which you speak. Yeah, best to zip your lip with the building inspector. I hope you don’t get 12” of snow Thursday. By this time of the year it’s disheartening. I like snow and winter but come March I am DONE. Lol.

· Registered
13,751 Posts
Yay Hikr! I hope your seedlings do well. I love basil, but it might be too early/cold here. We are getting hit with a storm on Thurs. Not unusual here to have snow in March or early April. Was freezing this morning and temp gauge says it is 45 now, I'll believe that once I open the back door. I hope to get my onions planted today, and throw down last year's lettuce seed. My back is still tender (too many hours sitting on hard uncomfortable chairs over the weekend) so I'll see how I feel later when it is time to go out.

I need to try and sew at least one row of the blue quilt every day this week. Shouldn't be hard, I just need to remember to do it and not get distracted.

· Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
The ½ wall is almost done. I reached the point where things started going wrong, so I knew it was time to quit. Hate that, but no point in wasting more time and lumber on miscuts or getting hurt or breaking something. I love the new miter saw. It's quiet, for starters, and it works beautifully in conjunction with the stand. I set up one of the lumber supports as a jig to cut all the studs, and didn't have to measure for those beyond that, which sped things up and produced identical cuts on every stud. We should easily be able to finish up tomorrow morning.

It was such a relief to walk in the house this morning when it was 2 below zero, and not see a single frost crystal on ANY window. Every window was bone dry. Another gigantic bill to pay that will be worth every dime. It was different to eat lunch in the office with 2 big windows now and have sunshine and be able to see out.

We had a message when we got home that electricians will be there at 7 AM Thursday to finish up the kitchen and work in the basement. Can't wait to get them done. I hope the carpenters can start drywall then, too.

· Registered
10,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #737 ·
Another day of nothing here. I have a bad case of spring fever. Goofing off day after day. I have to remind myself now and then that I’m retired and it doesn’t matter. The cross stitch doesn’t matter at all, and as for the house, the worst that could happen is that I would die overnight and be really embarrassed about it when they came in to collect my body. Lol.

I just learned our great next lot neighbor is going to sell and move back to town. Her elderly mother lives with her and I think she is having some health issues too so they need to be nearer doctors and hospitals. Her job is also taking her out of town quite a bit and they just can’t keep up with the outside work. I’ll be sorry to see them go.

hikr - watching the weather today I wondered if you were near the coast. You’re having some great weather for just keeping cozy and nesting for a while.

I’m not being as productive as I could be be on the phoenix. I keep finding distractions. 😆

· Registered
3,154 Posts
ugh people ! yes kids just like colour and keep your opinions out of work not that I agree with what they are spouting. I hope weather is ok for most of you. no power outages etc. Still about 50 here and spring is coming cherry trees blooming by my mom. but yes time change kicking our butts.

breakfast w friends and then ended up getting to go back to store for mom. so visited her and then much overdue haircat ..all my grey has come in! today noticed in my eyebrows sigh coming in fast the last year lol . she said she asked my brother when she was ever going to see his place and then today email invite ...rather have invite cus wanted us not what it is. but will see if mom wants to go. We would have to drive and limited hours lol tomorrow..mom may go to er to get something checked out.so don't know plans yet. If not go to last store and get it done. Tried phoning but didn't get though.
I did finished the scarf during the zoom and the hat so with the rest of yarn from the scarf started a new hat. when that is done then I have 4 sets of hat/scarves. Will see if friend wants the lap blanket too.

· Super Moderator
25,122 Posts
It's going to be busy today at the house. We need to finish the wall, and then clean up and prep for everyone to come back tomorrow. I have no idea where to go with everything so it will be frustrating. Can't put anything heavy on the sagging floor in the entire south end, can't put anything on eiither side of the new walls on the entire north end or where new headers were put in or where walls were opened up for new wiring or on any wall in the basement or in the middle of any room or in front of heating ducts or where contractors' tools need to be or where pocket doors need to be installed or where additional Sheetrock needs to be brought in. No idea where the 4x12 Sheetrock will go, either. It won't be a fun day. The bright side is once the 'rock is hung and the outlets are all done, we should have more wall space to put things. It will be nice not to have to deal with the endless shuffling. The entire stash in that place has beem managed to death. We don't even have a place left to hang our coats.

The Duluth forecast has upped potential snowfall totals here to 12-15". TWC is saying 1-3" for Thursday and again Friday. Who knows? No storm warnings yet but that will be when we get more accurate info. We need to be in town both days so hope it doesn't get too bad. Part of the roof collapsed on a mall in Duluth yesterday morning, fortunately at 9 AM before they opened. Minimal people inside and no one hurt, so could have been much worse. It's been a snowy yr.

721 - 740 of 782 Posts