Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it's New Years Eve, going to start a new Weight Loss Accountability thread. Added Exercise Accountability as well.

So, to start it off, I am continuing to go to Pilates in the new year. Already signed up/reserved two classes so far. I have to wait until my membership renews for the month (on a monthly membership payment plan) before I get the rest of the classes signed up for.

· Registered
4,490 Posts
I'm setting goals for bike rides and long hikes with the dogs. Mostly in the spring and fall when the weather cooperates and mosquitoes aren't such a problem. I do have a stationary bike in the house to get in shape for the outdoor rides so I need to start a schedule on that.

· Registered
1,733 Posts
My goal is to get outside for a walk daily. I’m only committing to 10 minutes. Getting out the door once I’m home from work is part of the battle. 10 minutes will hopefully turn into more.
drinking more water and getting some vegetables into my meals are other goals

· Registered
13,526 Posts
For now we'll continue as we have been. Walking when weather permits and it's not too hot, cold, wet, or dark. Trying to balance healthy eating with using up pantry and freezer items. Hoping vegetable prices come down soon.

· Registered
4,490 Posts
Logged onto my Silver Sneakers account and although I don't have access to the live Zoom workouts any longer (former benefit of my health insurance) - they DO let me play the on-demand pre-recorded workouts. There's a big variety there to rotate through. :D Since I had the long walk today, I'll do the SS "classic" workout tomorrow and start setting up some sort of schedule.

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been doing a bit of T'ai Chi. Only 5 minutes a day, with the hopes of doing more. That's in addition to the Pilates class I do. There's a lot of construction going on at work so I haven't been going out for walks at lunch time. I hope the construction near where I work is done soon so I can take my walks around that area.

Picked up some apples and cheese for work this week. The cafe at work is going to be closed for the next three weeks for winter session. With all the construction, it's a pain to try and get up to the one cafe that will still be open. I went to the local orchard to pick up the apples since they taste better than what I'd be able to get in the regular grocery store.

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brought in the apples and cheese for lunch at work so I'm not limited to the vending machines. Since the farmers' market is this coming Saturday, I can pick up more as well as a couple of other items for work lunches. Thankfully we have a fridge in our group room where I can keep my lunches. And having a bag of apples from the local orchard on hand means I can grab one if I get hungry in the afternoon as well.

· Registered
4,490 Posts
I did 2 of the Silver Sneakers pre-taped workouts, still exploring. They have workouts on Youtube also, so I think there is plenty of variety. Best of all - discovered that hubby's health insurance (different from mine) DOES have access to the live SS classes that I used to do. So if I really get tired of the pre-taped stuff I would use his account to do a few live classes for variety sake.
Started doing some of my shoulder exercises from physical therapy a year ago. I can tell that shoulder is trying to get tight again.

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to Pilates yesterday. Missing two classes and having a different teacher for a third in December made for a bit harder class than it has been for a while. Also found out that they're changing the schedule around, starting in two weeks. The class I go to is now either at 5 pm (which I can't do due to getting out of work) or 7 pm. I'll probably end up taking the 7 pm class, although that means I get home at 8 pm. That's a PITA since I usually don't eat until after Pilates but I don't want to wait until almost 8:30 pm to have dinner. I also don't want to eat before class, either, and then possibly have issues while exercising. It would mean eating something before I leave work those days. While the Pilates studio is in a mall, it doesn't have a food court. Only sit-down restaurants and I don't want to full meal before working out. Well, there is a Starbucks which has some light food but that's expensive to do long term. I'll figure something out because I want to continue taking Pilates. Waiting at the mall until class starts is not an issue since I could do some world building, either at the Starbucks or Barnes & Noble.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
What if you had a heavier lunch or a snack at work a couple hours before the evening class? I always had that problem with yoga in the morning. Do I skip breakfast or eat right before class?

Reactions: AmyBoz

· Registered
4,490 Posts
Since it's just once a week, a PBJ sandwich (or half) and apple (or half) would seem sufficient and portable. Or try one of the liquid protein drinks. They run around $2/bottle, so pricey for every day but once a week not bad.

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking of either bringing or picking up a snack on those days to eat before I leave work. Not sure about the liquid protein drinks, though. It's less about the price (although it could get pricey) and more about being filling. I think if I was going to pick something up like that, I'd grab one of the snack boxes from the Starbucks next door, if they have the ones with cheese/veggies or a hard boiled egg one.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Yeah, but for what they charge you can buy a dozen eggs and a block of cheese and make a week's worth at home. Unless your office is unusually warm a boiled egg and some cheese will keep at room temp all day.

A Lara bar or a small bag of nuts is a good option. You can keep those in your desk at work.

Reactions: AmyBoz

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Currently on the waitlist for tomorrow's Pilates class. Hopefully I'll get off it by tomorrow. It was harder to get back into the swing of things after missing a couple of classes back in December (also waitlist situations). Next week is the start of the new time/date for the class I like. I realized recently I can pick up a couple of hardboiled eggs from the cafe at work when I get my usual lunch and have them before I leave work.

I've also started using the exercise ball that I picked up when I was going to physical therapy for my knee a couple years ago. Some days have been worse than others, where my knee would act up. Also had an issue where my shins felt like they were cramping up. It eased up when I had my Pilates class, so I'm pretty sure I just needed to stretch a bit more.

Also picked up some vitamins since I realized I wasn't eating as well as I should, with the cafe at work closed. I usually eat better when it's open since they have a salad bar I like to use.

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had my Pilates class yesterday. I had been on the waitlist but enough people cancelled for me to get off the list. Next week is the start of the new class schedule. I'm currently on the wait list for next week's class. It's on a different date and time, but looks like the same teacher (yay!). I need to make a regular habit of using the yellow exercise ball on the days I don't go to Pilates. It's not that much but at least it's a start.

Had very few issues with my knee this week. (Unlike last week where my knee was painful and my shins felt very crampy.) Just mainly twinges, mostly when I sat still for too long.

Next week, the cafe should be open again. Yay! I missed having the salad bar.

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My knee's doing a lot better so far, now that I started taking multi-vitamins and using the yellow exercise ball on the days I don't go to Pilates. I'm still on the wait list for tomorrow's Pilates class (new day and time) but I only need one more person to cancel to get in the class.

The cafe at work is open again. I was able to get my salad for lunch.

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got into the Pilates class I signed up for last night. I was on the wait list and finally got off the list pretty late. But that's ok, at least I was able to go. It was the first of the new time and day. I did grab a yogurt at lunch and had it later in the afternoon but I think it was still too early. I think I just need a light snack after the class when I get home, rather than a meal. But I was able to get some work done on my worldbuilding for my story, which was nice.

This week, the cafe at work is back to the "grab-n-go" but at least there's hot soup as well as the salad. I think I'm currently off basic sandwiches due to only having those available for so long at work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts