Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, I was wondering what the typical is that you sew for a 2yr old little girl's wardrobe for summer. I am a 1/2 experienced sewer. if you have any patterns or pictures of the ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well, I don't know about sewing them, but I can give you an idea of what my girls wear during the summer.

Usually a few lightweight calico/cotton dresses. There is something called a "pillowcase dress" that seems to be easy to sew and looks very comfy.

T-shirts and skirts (my girls don't wear shorts). The skirts for play are usually just two-pieces of fabric sewn together with elastic at the top. (my mom makes them)

Stains come out easily from those lightweight woven fabrics. Much easier than knits. And they are cooler as well.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I make most of the little one's summer clothes. However, when I can buy new t-shirts at children's place or walmart for $2, Id on't worry about tops.

I make mostly loose capris from cotton. I often find it at yardsales..lol. So really cheap. A 2 yo shorts would use 1/4 to 1/2 yard. Capris I can do 2 to 3 pair in a yard..lol. Be creative, add little details, ruffles, bows, sew on extra buttons to make a design.

Skirts are very simple. Measure the childs waist. Multiply by 1/5 to 2. Measure the length add 2" to the top and 1/2" to the bottom for elastic casing and hem. Stitch ends together. Make casing and hem. Very quick. You can use 2 pieces but if you make it full enough no one sees the seam anyway.

Making shirred tops is easy too. Measure chest. Double. Hem top and bottom. Draw one straight line. Use that as a guide when sewing. Wind your bobbin with elastic thread. Then just stitch that line. Do the next line, starting at the same side. Keep doing it until you're where you want to stop. Stitch side seam or mid back. Use iron and steam it to get it to shrink up. Add basic straps to the top. There a cute haltertop. Use a longer length, shor only to the high waist and make a sundress, simple cute and comfy :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you sooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm going to try them out!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Making shirred tops is easy too. Measure chest. Double. Hem top and bottom. Draw one straight line. Use that as a guide when sewing. Wind your bobbin with elastic thread. Then just stitch that line. Do the next line, starting at the same side. Keep doing it until you're where you want to stop. Stitch side seam or mid back. Use iron and steam it to get it to shrink up. Add basic straps to the top. There a cute haltertop. Use a longer length, shor only to the high waist and make a sundress, simple cute and comfy :)

Just wanted to thank you (a year later) for this and bump it up. I made these dresses with your instructions and they are unbelievably simple. This was pretty much my daughter's entire wardrobe last year, and I just made her three more for this summer.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
A friend of mine just made some "skorts" for her 18 month old and they are utterly adorable! Next time she wears one, I'll see if I can snap a picture and post it! She said they were super easy to make. She just got her first sewing machine for Christmas, so she is a novice and they turned out beautifully!

·
Registered
501 Posts
It's always nice to have a few pairs of cropped leggings for girls, to use if their dresses get a bit too short or for cool evenings. Something red, white and blue is always nice for the 4th of July. I made navy blue gingham sundresses one year with cherry printed trim with matching scrunchies that were precious.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Great bump :)

For any other newbie seamstresses, I highly recommend Kwik Sew patterns (for all ages). My girls never wore dresses at that age (still don't really :laugh: ), but I made peasant tops (Kwik Sew pattern 3169) for them--which can easily be lengthened into dresses.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Cute! I added it to my list of patterns to look for when I go home in the summer. There is a huge fabric store in my hometown and I have an ever growing list of "needs" ;).

I only have Walmart here and they never have anything that I'm looking for.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't know if I can put a website in here but www.sewforum.com has been a great inspiration to me. Their are alot of freebie patterns too!

Debbie in Missouri

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Another great site (which Sara has allowed me to post before) is www.sewingmamas.com

My user name over there is chelle :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I made a lot of dresses for my dd when she was that age. She's almost 23 now - won't let me near my sewing machine if it's something for her :) I like those reversible dresses that cross over in the back with the little matching panties. Very cute. And remember to check the remnant area in your fabric store. Up until about they reach about 3y.o. you can make lots of stuff from remnants savings yourself lots of money!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
my girls live in dresses...

light cotton tank style ones, pillowcase dresses...anything. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts